Chapter 5 – An enormous threat
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It is now morning again in Erex. Akin has spent the whole night in the forest, even slept there. He wakes up really early and starts walking toward the orphanage. His fists are very hurt, and his clothes are filthy.

After some time walking, Akin knocks on the door of the orphanage. The only awake person at this time is Lillian.

 Lillian opens the door.

"Akin! Where have you been? And what happened to your fists?"

"I was in the forest, and my fists are fine. But I'm here to say goodbye!"

"Goodbye?"

"Yeah, I've decided I will become the strongest knight ever. Naturally, I will not stay here anymore."

"Where are you going then?"

"I don't know. I guess I'm just gonna travel around. I will train so hard and get so strong that the Kingdom will have to accept me as a knight."

"Huh? And where are you going to sleep, and what will you eat?" Asks Lillian worried. 

"Well, I don't mind sleeping on the ground. Regarding food, I can always find some fruits in the forest or find a way to make some money. Anyways I can take care of myself."

"And you're going now?"

"Exactly!"

"You mean, right now?"

"Yeah, I just came to say bye. When the others wake up, say bye to them for me too."

Lillian thinks about the situation. Akin is responsible for himself now that he is 12, but letting a child travel around with nothing. I can't let him do that. I want to stop him, but Akin looks different. I don't know what happened, but now he seems happier, and his eyes are brighter. I feel like I should let him go.

"Yeah, I will tell them." Says Lillian.

"Thanks. By the way, yesterday Tartus chose Eiden, right? The other two generals were cool, but Eiden is far better."

"Not really. It surprised everyone, but he didn't choose anyone."

"He chose no one?" Asks Akin surprised.

"Yeah, I think he said something about being unable to help them. King Willian said he will get someone else as an apprentice, though."

"I see. Well then, bye!"

Akin leaves the orphanage and starts walking further and further away from it.

"Good luck, Akin." Says Lillian worried.

Not that far away from the orphanage, there is a big mansion. The most splendid house in the south of Erex. Every region except for the capital has a building similar to this mansion. That is where the governors work and live.

Ian Mercius, governor of the south, is in his office on the mansion's second floor. He is waiting for a visitor.

Someone knocks on the door.

"Enter, please." Says Ian.

The door opens, and someone enters his office.

"Long time no see Tartus." Says Ian.

"Sure, it has been a long time. Since I am here, I thought I would give you a visit. So how are things going?"

"You know, the same as ever."

"Do people still hate you?" Asks Tartus with a smile.

"You know how things work, right!? Those people literally forget everything I've done in the past. Then comes this kid pretending to be king, and suddenly everyone loves him. It pisses me off!"

Tartus makes a small laugh.

"King Willian, right? Honestly, from everyone who came from the Erex family, it looks like he's the most problematic."

"He sure is. He also hates me. That is also one of the reasons people hate me. I'm sure Willian is counting the days for my death, so he can put any general he wants as new governor to become his puppet, just like Edwin."

"Edwin is Willian's puppet? He looks authoritarian, not someone that could be used as a puppet by someone."

"That's just on the outside. Sure, Edwin fights well, but he is just a guy who does everything Willian asks. Dane, on the other side, is just an idiot! He really doesn't give a damn about politics; he just enjoys wasting his money and appearing like a noble. Since the capital is the richest of all regions, he is also controllable by Willian."

"Erex is doing pretty fine then." Says Tartus in a sarcastic tone.

"I wish we could go back to the old times. Right now, I'm the only one preventing Willian takes control over the whole Erex."

Tartus moves close to a window, turns his back to Ian, and looks at the sky.

"The old times. Those were not that good either." 

After a moment of silence, Ian resumes speaking.

"Anyways, what are you doing here then? You're not here to actually choose an apprentice, right?"

Tartus turns again and looks at Ian.

"No, I have other reasons. Willian is gonna get pissed when I leave without choosing anyone."

"Yeah, he will. I'm excited to see his face. So what are those other reasons."

Tartus sighs.

"The times are changing, we have been in peace for a while, but it won't take long until this peace breaks." Says Tartus with a severe face.

"What do you mean by that?"

"Something big is coming. The political tension between the kingdoms is increasing fast. I'm sure that soon many wars are going to start again. But this time, it won't be only wars; there will be something else."

"Something else?"

"There is someone out there with incredible power. This person is going to start wars not because of land or money. But because he wants all to be destroyed."

"How do you know that? Who is this person?" Asks Ian, confused and afraid.

"I don't know who he is, but after searching, I've discovered that he has the power of one of the old gods."

Old gods, after hearing this, Ian understood the urgency of the matter.

"Old gods, you mean the aura beings?"

"Yes. He can't use much of his power now. It will take a couple of years before he can. But when he does, it will cause chaos. Anyways I'm looking for him."

"Do you think this person is in Erex?"

"No, not in Erex. Honestly, I have no clue where he could be. I wanted to check out on the mutants."

"The mutants? I see you're looking for Derek. But I don't think he would do something like that, nor have a god's power."

"I don't think Derek is the guy, but he has a lot of intel. It would definitely help. Since there are a lot of mutants here in the southern lands, I think this is where Derek could be."

"Well, maybe before, but now there are few mutants left. King Willian exterminated most of them."

"What?" Asks Tartus, surprised.

Suddenly someone comes from the door and interrupts Tartus and Ian's conversation.

0