Chapter 2 – Happy
42 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Elena!" shouted the man as he kicked the front door of his house open. He had black spikey hair and a normal physique. He looked to be in his mid-thirties. 

"Not so loud. It's still early in the morning...geez." said a woman. She casually walked out of her bedroom while placing her hand in front of her mouth, trying to cover up a yawn. The lady had brown, shoulder length hair. She had glasses that made her look like a professor or a doctor. Lastly, she wore a pink nightgown. Her other hand was holding her tummy, she looked to be about 6 months pregnant.

Elena rubbed her right eye then she let out a sigh. "So my lovable husband...what's gotten you so riled up early this-"

A look of surprise came over her. Mouth open, like a fish out of water. She saw her partner standing at the door. He was carrying a woman...like a princess. The female appeared to be in her twenties. She had black, neck length hair. She was drenched and she wore what seemed to be pieces of broken armor that were also stained with blood. The woman embraced a rusty sword tightly.

"Uhm...Elena?" The man walked inside and laid the black haired woman on their bed. "Can you take a look at her?" he said, reaching for the sword, carefully prying them out of the woman's hands. "Damn that sword was heavy! She wouldn't let go of it earlier!"

The wife slowly closed her gaping mouth then headed slowly to the kitchen. A few moments later, she walked out gracefully, holding a knife on one hand and supporting her stomach on the other. 

"H-hey...'Lena...dear...it's not what you think!" the man stuttered nervously. "Hear me out! Calm down!"

"Heh...Hehe...Karl...you better choose your words carefully or I'll castrate you where you stand." her eyes gleamed like mad. She slowly moved towards her husband while she held her delicate tummy. 

"Ok! You see...I-I went out to go fishing as always! Then I saw her lying down by the shore!" Karl started. 

Elena, with bloodthirsty eyes, inched closer to her husband and pointed the knife at his throat. With nowhere to escape, the man found himself with his back against the wall.

"She looked all tattered up so I figured you could help her! You used to be a doctor right?" Karl exclaimed, eyes closed and with both hands in the air. "That's all, honest! Think of the baby!"

A second passed...two...three...

Karl opened his left eye slightly, a little bit of sweat running down his face. He saw Elena trying to hold back a chuckle. He finally lowered his arms in relief.

"Fine, for now you get to keep your life." Elena said. She put down the blade and rubbed her tummy lovingly. "You get changed too Karl." the wife ordered as she licked her thumb then brought her hand closer to the face of her husband. "You've got a smudge on your handsome face." she said with a giggle then rubbed her husband's cheek clean.

Karl let out a sigh of relief. He reached in and pecked his wife on the lips. He then took a chair and set it beside the bed. The husband then supported his wife carefully towards the chair.

"What do we have here..." the wife said as she took her seat. "Oh my...that is one nasty injury. Dear, get me my first aid kit, some clothes, and a stick."

"Uhmm sure...but what do you need the stick for?" The man asked curiously.

"To poke you in the eye. Look at her in a naughty way and we're having eyeballs for dinner! Now go and get my things!" The wife said as she wiped the injured girl, cleaning smudges of dirt and dried blood.

"Geez...I got it." The husband said scratching the back of his head with a sigh. "She knows that even though she's pregnant, I only have eyes for her..." Karl mumbled as he walked out of the room.

----------------------

"Shit! You look terrible!" Elena's baby kicks inside. "Ah, sorry baby. Mom didn't mean to swear."

With expert hands, the wife removed the broken armor of the injured woman, revealing a blood stained tank top. The woman had a lot of bruises and cuts as well.

A huge hole was ripped on the lower right part of her clothing and showed a scar which resulted from a severe burn. Considering the size of the hole, one would expect a fatal injury. However, the wound was almost closed up.

"That's strange...with that kind of injury, you should be dead by now. But somehow, your body's ability to heal prevented that. Hmmm...high grade magic must have been casted on you. But, you're not out of danger yet."

The armor of the injured person was so badly damaged, it was indistinguishable. Where did this girl come from? One cannot help but think that this girl was involved in something...something bad. 

What happened to her? Elena's professional experience told her that these injuries weren't exactly "normal"...mana was involved. Was it black mana? Is this girl a mercenary or something? Or maybe...she's the one who is dangerous?

The wife diligently treated the woman's injuries. However, it can't be helped that these negative thoughts creeped into her mind.

"Well...how long has it been since I tried this again?" The woman placed her hands above the girl's wound. "Hope I didn't get too rusty."

Elena concentrated her energy into her hands, the area around the burnt area glowed as green light covered the entire room.

----------------------

Two days passed. The couple didn't fail to look after the girl and kept her in check. She was already on the way for a full recovery. Finally, the dark haired woman woke up. Slowly, she blinked revealing light blue eyes.

"She finally woke up huh?" The man said as he entered the room, carrying a new set of clothes, a towel, and a basin of warm water. "Phew, a two day recovery but still! No one can beat my record! Five days unconscious due to severe beating caused by crazed BUT sweet wife!" Karl said teasingly as he placed the things he carried down on the bedside table.

"Oh shut up! Hey, How are you feeling?" A voice came from beside her. Elena was sitting on a chair beside the bed, showing a lovely smile.

"..." 

The girl tried to lift herself up but she couldn't. Her arms were still too weak to support her once injured body. 

"You just woke up. Easy now...don't push yourself too hard. You are just recovering you know." The wife said as she supported the girl up to a seated position. "Honey, get her other side, let's help her up."

A few moments passed. The girl sat silently, staring outside the window. The couple wondered why she remained silent.

"It must be some sort of trauma." Karl said, rubbing his chin.

"This is going to be a problem," Elena said, "Well..she doesn't look like she'll cause any harm?"

"Anyway...what should we do?"

"Let's go and talk to her again." The woman said then she approached the silent girl.

"Honey?" Elena called.

The quiet one turned her head from the window, facing the elder woman. Once again, revealing her light blue eyes.

What beautiful eyes. The wife thought to herself. Taking in the relaxing color of blue.

"Do you remember anything? Your name?" She asked, worried.

"..."

"Something? Anything?"

"..." 

"Hmm..." The wife pondered. We are getting nowhere she thought. There must be something to jog her memory. "Ah! Keith! Get her sword!"

Her husband responded with a nod. Seconds later, he entered the room carrying the same rusty sword from two days ago.

"Does this sword ring any bells? You were embracing it rather tightly when my husband found you and brought you here."

[Snap out of it Mia!]

When the girl laid her eyes on the rusty weapon, a sudden voice jolted her mind... as tears trail down her face.

"Oh my...honey don't cry...you must have been through a lot." The wife said as she sat beside the girl. 

"...M-Mia..." The girl uttered, looking down with a face showing a bit more emotion...sadness. But...she was unsure why she felt this emotion.

"Oh! She spoke!" Elena said, her tummy jiggling a bit with delight as she embraced the girl's head close to her bosom. "What a cutie!"

The girl remained silent, but welcomed the sudden strange action of affection. She didn't mind.

"Don't worry Mia." The woman said as she stroked the girl's hair. "We'll take care of you." 

Keith went out the room and placed the rusty sword beside the entrance. With a warm smile forming on his lips. 

----------------------

Days went by. The couple took the woman in like one of their own. They never neglected her. Even though Mia couldn't speak. They didn't mind. In fact, it even made them more protective of her. 

Mia was sitting at a table and Elena was standing behind her holding a brush.

"You really do have beautiful hair." The wife said, as she adjusted her glasses. "Oh my, just look at how it grew! It's reaching your shoulder's now!" 

"..." 

"It's such a shame that we can't talk to each other properly." Elena said with a weak smile as she brushed Mia's hair. "No matter! I believe that one day I would be able to hear your voice again...and we would laugh and cry and everything!" The wife exclaimed, motioning a fist pump in the air.

"..."

"Well, for being such a well-behaved young lady, I'll tell you something good!" The elder woman stood up and positioned herself in front of the other.

"This baby, if I will bear a son... I am going to name him Felix!" She said, with a twinkle in her eyes. "Felix means happy. I wish that my son would always be happy." 

Elena took Mia's hands...and embraced her head towards her tummy. "I'm sure...that my son would grow up happy, for he has a wonderful family to welcome him."

A gentle silent moment came over them. Without the knowledge of the elder of the two, a faint smile was forming on Mia's lips.

"Well, sorry to break your little happy moment."

Karl just arrived home, carrying a basket of fish and a wild boar for dinner. He placed his catch down, washed his face and proceeded next to his wife. 

"What if the baby turned out to be a girl?" Karl questioned as he kissed his wife.

"Dear, not in front of Mia!" Elena giggled, then playfully pushed Keith away. 

The dark haired girl was sitting silently, looking at the  two love birds then turned her head away...maybe she was embarrassed because of the sudden display of teasing.

"I don't know, maybe Felicia?" The young wife said.

"How 'bout Felena?" The man said jokingly.

"Are you trying to be funny?" Elena said with a raised brow.

A few seconds of silence happened...then suddenly a burst of laughter erupted from the couple.

Mia was silent, but deep down, something was bothering her. She was asking herself why can't she remember anything? What happened to her past? Whose voice did she hear when she looked at the sword. Still, for now, she was happy.

1