Chapter 18: Here We Go Again
16 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Day: 7 / Time: 5:00am-6:00am


 

Once morning came, Artie found himself weighed down by that unconditional peace. There was nothing unique about that night, yet, he wished it wouldn't end. It was an unfortunate circumstance to find lying in bed and looking up at an empty ceiling so freeing. The feeling was highly nostalgic. It reminded him of his childhood, back when he stayed up all night gaming before waking up for school, seemingly shackled to the bed with no will to move.

"Tired…"

By then, all the lanterns in the room had perished, and darkness filled his view. The unlit setting and the silence didn't go well with him. Even after closing his eyes and pretending not to exist, he became incredibly anxious. It wasn't a fear he had on Earth, so Artie rightfully blamed that twisted planet.

His formidable dread of the void ultimately forced his body to awaken. Artie leaned up on the bed and warily scanned the room for any threats that might linger in the darkness. He peered into nothingness. His heart began to race as he rolled from the bed and rushed to the entrance. Artie promptly swung open the door, letting light seep inside the home from the hallway. Once the room objects became distinguishable, his head snapped left then right, cautiously examining the space. The only thing revealed was Freddy's barley-lit body and shady inanimate shapes along the ground. Calming himself, he walked to, then lit a lantern using a fire starter placed conveniently nearby.

Looking over at the child, he observed his still body and steady breathing. Artie was glad his panic didn't wake the child and even more relieved that his embarrassing conduct wasn't seen.

He feather footed to the side of the bed, then delicately grabbed the cotton sheet that was pulled down by his recklessness. He raised the cover over the boy in one smooth motion, ensuring his warmth.

"See you later," whispered Artie, squinting at the boy's quiet face.

He felt a little guilty leaving without a word, especially since the child's older sister had yet to return. Unfortunately, his situation demanded he'd embark from that comfortable space sooner than later.

Unhurriedly, Artie left the building then made way for the north exit, where he assumed someone would be waiting with the details of his mission.

Still early, there were not many people roaming. The sun began to rise, but not before the two moons fulfilled their duty of illuminating the landscape. He was fond of the color green, so he enjoyed looking up at the glowing sphere and how faint traces of the color lit the environment.

As Artie traversed the cold town, he thought about how rotten his luck had been. He was practically forced to become a hunter, broke his arm, and was required to leave the mildly safe town.

Artie was frustrated by how little they valued another's humanity. He thought it was unethical and inhuman to arm average citizens with weapons and expect them to become warriors. Artie wondered if the rest of the world had also gone crazy, if he'd recognize his parents, or if they'd recognize him once they- "If" they met again.

Faced with a difficult time, he found himself engrossed by all the negatives of that world. It came naturally when he was left unproductive and persisted until he became conscious of it.

"Get a grip," He protested, slapping his own cheek.

As an attempt to distract himself, he admired the fantasy-like town. The one- and two-story wooden structures, the simple weapons the townsmen carried, and sometimes the attire. Some had adjusted to stitched cloth and leather. However, a large majority, including himself, still wore clothing from the first Earth. He found it immersion-breaking to see knightly figures next to men dressed in expensive casual clothes.

"This is definitely not like the manga I've read…." He muttered.

"No menu, no guides, no magical voice…."

Artie raised his hand and began swiping at the empty space before him, trying to call forth a window or display. Not to his surprise, there was nothing of the sort. Consoling himself, he tugged on his left ear.

"At Least I have my high-level hearing."

"Though, it'd be nice to be as fast as Sebastian or have a fire sword and sheil-"

Like flipping through a dusty scrapbook, Artie began to remember events he'd previously packed away. The scene back then was traumatizing, so he blurred it in his mind. However, he recalled it. How extraordinary Sebastian and the woman named Wana were.

Halting in place, he became bewildered.

"It's not just me." He murmured.

Others had mentioned the abnormalities of that planet. Still, it was only then that he'd started to believe a shred of it. There was something incomprehensible at play, and for the first time, he wanted to know more.

Stirred, Artie picked up the pace and rushed towards the town's upper exit. As he sped up, he became tired, and as his arm shook, it ached, reminding him he was still human. That fact alone was daunting, not because he hated his humanity, but because humans were fragile compared to the creatures he'd encountered.

 

<>

 

Because Rachel had already taken him there, he could arrive at his destination relatively quickly. And as suspected, there was a person already on the scene.

"Great, I didn't have to wait long," Yawned Sebastian, standing from a crate he sat on.

Eyes only half-open and his arms inside the sleeves of his shirt, the man lazily approached.

"Just you?" Observed Artie looking around.

"Just me, most of the other hunters are away searching for a missing squad," Explained Sebastian.

Uncaring, Artie relaxed, knowing the more unnerving characters were not around to provoke him. Uncomfortably cold, he put his left hand in his pants pocket. It did very little to combat the cold, but it was something.

Sebastian turned to the wooden crate he'd sat on and lifted his foot, motioning to it.

"There's supplies inside, enough for tWo."

The way he pronounced "two" in his sentence was distinctively moody and offensive. His body shivered, and condensation was produced every time he opened his mouth to speak.

"I can't carry enough for two. Just one person's worth is fine." Insisted Artie, opening the crate.

He could tell Sebastian was behind him, throwing a silent fit. The container held two leather vests, travel pouches, and food rations. A spear was on the floor next to the crate, and unlike the previous one, this weapon had a sharpened stone blade.

Artie strapped on the vest, tied the rations pouch around his waist, and collected the spear.

While he could lift the weapon, it took significant strength to carry. Not accounting for how difficult it'd be to wield with only one working arm.

"This thing is too heavy…."

He laid the hefty weapon back down then insisted Sebastian disclose his assignment. Still grouchy, the man turned his back from Artie before beginning his explanation.

"Assuming the first God type is still tracking you, it'll follow as soon as you start moving. Just run northwest to the location of the second God type and let them have at it."

Sebastian explained the plan lazily, practically mumbling to the chilled air.

"The second monster can cast "fear," so don't look at it. If you are caught, then you're as good as dead. That is unless someone can free you." Continued the man bluntly.

After Sebastian finished his debriefing, he looked back curiously at Artie. No average person would have been able to hear half the words he muttered under his breath. However, Artie had caught every bit of it and casually fidgeted with his leather vest, tightening the straps to fit his slim frame.

"Questions?" asked Sebastian, muddled by Artie's lack of worry.

"Actually, there is something." Remembered Artie, continuing to fiddle with the leather top.

Sebastian's eyebrows raised, and a faint victorious smile appeared on his face.

"Ask away," said the man, starting to put his arms back through the sleeves of his shirt.

"You said the monster can cast fear. Right?" reiterated Artie.

"That's right, it'll paralyze you UNLESS you have help," Elaborated the man, beginning to merrily walk towards the crate of supplies.

"Can you do things like cast skills?" Inquired Artie.

"Nah, I don't need stuff like that." Boasted Sebastian, grabbing from the container.

Artie had given up on trying to make the vest fit. He tucked his hand back in his pocket then peered at the increasingly jubilant man.

"Then, how are you and that fire woman able to do all that stuff?"

Sebastian strapped the second travel pouch around his waist and idly spoke while gearing up.

"Something about the planet's atmosphere? Something DNA, cells, science, blah, blah. I can never remember anything the researchers say."

Disappointment with the man's answer, Artie glared daggers at him. He wasn't expecting all the world's secrets to be unfolded, but to receive so much of nothing was frustrating. So much so, for a moment, he actually missed Rachel and her extensive knowledge about hunters.

"Going somewhere?" Smirked Artie vengefully.

Sebastian had already placed the vest over his body when he abruptly stopped and gazed at Artie.

"Huh?" He sounded.

Artie turned away and took his leave. Heading for the exit, which was a wide trench surrounded by giant tree spikes.

"See you when I get back."

He expected an outburst, but the man behind him remained silent. Artie assumed it was because Sebastian was so baffled that his brain short-circuited and left him speechless.

After Artie arrived at the trench, a pair of guards laid down a bridge. He crossed the wooden overpass, freeing himself from the town.

Instead of immediately departing, he stood stationary at the edge of the eerie mass of trees.

Artie closed his eyes; he lowered his head, breathed deeply, then listened. There was nothing in particular that he listened for; he simply listened. Like a muscle, he prepared his sense of hearing to be worked. To guide and maneuver him around any enemies on his path.

"Just like before," he whispered, opening his eyes and staring intently into the threatening forest.

 

3