Chapter 22: Deceptive Appearances
12 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The conflict between Sebastian and the other hunters escalated. Even with his firm position in front of Artie, others had followed their intuition and commenced an assault. Two men and one woman began a convicted charge. Their swords were drawn, and Sebastian pulled a dagger in response.

"Wait there, I'll handle this," Reassured Sebastian, hovering his blade in front of his chest.

Clearly seasoned, the three aggressors spaced apart from one another. One ran steadfast at Sebastian while the others circled around, aiming not for him but Artie, who'd sat in distress.

A sharp noise echoed as Sebastian's dagger collided with the front hunter's sword. Agile, he quickly broke away from the sword's clash and swung his leg around, kicking the hunter on the side of his head. Simultaneously the other two hunters arrived at Artie's left and right. They mercilessly lunged their sharp stone swords towards his chest and head. Artie was already in a favorable position to move, so he kicked off the dirt ground and flung himself forward. He narrowly escaped a vital strike, their blades only nipping his shoulder and thigh.

A feeble dodge did nothing to discourage or impress the opposition. A second later, the two had already realigned their sights and initiated a follow-up assault.

"Curtis, Lana!" Mayumi shouted.

Artie was quickly able to identify her voice. After his last maneuver, he'd harshly landed onto his stomach but gradually rose.

Upon hearing their names called, the two hunters paused and turned to observe Mayumi running towards them. With their guard lowered, Sebastian, in an instant, leaped behind them and firmly held his dagger to the male back.

"You have no orders to execute him." Asserted Mayumi, composing herself as she came to a halt only five feet away.

"Lieutenant! You can't be serious; look at him." Complained the hunter named Lana as she pointed her blade towards the downed Artie.

Artie was already aware of his wretched body. Looking down at savage claws, he mournfully lowered his eyes and deflated his shoulders.

"I can see. Nothing changes; put your weapons away. "Mayumi strictly Responded.

The hunter Curtis nervously looked back at Sebastian. Feeling the blade at his back, he was motionless while also conveying his discontent with Mayumi's command.

"With all due respect, Lieutenant, do not let your personal feelings cloud your judgment."

Mayumi looked agitated by the man's words. Though she clearly held some authority over them, they ultimately dismissed her orders.

Tension rose, and the other hunters became restless. More weapons were drawn against the pair that dared to defend the mutated human. Artie knew the odds were stacked against them, no matter how impressive they were. Twenty erratic hunters advanced closer, each armed and just as experienced with battle. The mob tightly bunched together to close gaps between them and ensure their inhuman target could not escape.

Aware the battle would be futile, Artie earnestly pleaded to his protectors, wishing they'd yield.

"Leave me"

"Don't ruin your lives…."

Mayumi, Sebastian, and two nearby hunters promptly glanced at him.

"What are you, some kinda anime protagonist?" Mocked Sebastian, locking eyes and peering gravely at Artie.

In his frustration, he'd loosened his guard, so the man named Curtis seized the opportunity to retaliate. He whirled his elbow around and bashed it against Sebastian's head before swiftly scurrying outside the daggers range. The blow to Sebastian's head took his balance away for a split second, but he cleanly slid his foot forward and caught himself. Sebastian did not turn to view his attacker but continued to look disappointedly at Artie.

As more time passed, Artie lost more blood. He'd become lightheaded and faint, so he shut his eyes and lowered his head.

"Why are you doing this?" murmured Artie.

"You don't even know m-"

"Because we're friends!" Snapped Sebastian, interrupting Artie before he could finish his sentence.

Silence followed his outburst.

Artie couldn't utter a response but weakly breathed as he held his pierced arm over his gut.

The woman Lana gave a defeated look to Curtis, who nodded in acknowledgment. They then silently retreated from the front line and into the barrier of other hunters. Hunting a mindless animal or savage monster was one thing, but murdering a living human, even a beastly one, proved troublesome for some.

 

<>

 

"Outta the way," barked a recognizable voice from outside the enclosed ring of hunters.

Bodies shuffled to make way for him and those who followed. First, the gray-haired man known as Skull stomped through, then Wana, followed by several other tough-looking hunters.

"Oh shit, it's true," Snarled Skull, disgusted as he walked closer to Artie.

"I'll get rid of it," He continued, grabbing the colossal great sword on his back.

"Let's be sensible," Interjected Mayumi, calmly planting herself in front of Artie along with Sebastian.

Opposed to her standpoint, Ryu walked ahead of the newly arrived entourage of hunters. He wore the same bitter face and had been equipped with leather armor and worn stone gauntlets.

"Stand down, Mai."

"You too, Sebastian, don't get involved in this."

Mayumi seemed to suppress her aggravation as she stepped forward, rejecting his command.

"Anyone with working eyes can tell he's no threat to our town," She objected, holding her hand out towards Artie.

"There's a fine line between being cautious and being villains." Added Sebastian, speaking with his whole chest.

Many of the hunters present appeared to take direct offense to his words. Wana, however, modestly walked forward past Skull, Sebastian, and Mayumi before standing directly over Artie. Sensing the person loitering over him, Artie sluggishly raised his head. His sights met her sharp crimson gaze, which immediately reminded him of the horrifying creature he'd encountered only days ago.

Unprompted, Wana began to speak and, as she did so, intently observed Artie's altered form.

"What felt like ages ago, my partner and I responded to a 911 call relating to gunshots. When we arrived, two grown men were actively beating a minor. Quickly assessing the scene, we found a dead man's body and a pistol on the floor."

"We wasted no time in drawing our firearms. Still, the two men continued and even pulled a knife on the minor; So, we fired and killed them."

Wana took a moment to raise her sights from Artie then to the two that guarded him.

"Do you know where I'm going with this?" Asked Wana, looking back down to the wounded Artie.

Convinced he understood, Sebastian propped forward and shouted so those in the back could hear.

"It means there are consequences for ganging up on the weak!"

Wana looked to Sebastian then gently shook her head.

"Mayumi?" She prompted, like a teacher calling on their student.

"..."

She seemed to have the answer in mind, yet hesitated to share it.

Mayumi dolefully faced Artie. Upon revealing her emotional expression, his dark feline ears unconsciously lowered.

"Things are seldom what they seem." Answered Mayumi.

Wana nodded her head in acceptance. Then, without warning, she swiftly launched her foot off the ground and into Artie's face. The drastic force knocked him off his knees and flat onto his back. Not missing a beat, she leaned over him, firmly grabbed the collar of his shirt, and lifted his upper body. A sharp CRACK sounded as she violently jabbed him, breaking his nose.

When it looked like Sebastian was about to intervene, Mayumi pulled him back. She requested patience from him, and while he struggled, he didn't break free.

"Close your eyes if you have to." Whispered Mayumi gloomily.

Again and again, Wana pulled back her heavy fist and slammed it against Artie's face; Her doll-like expression fixed on him as she did so. The spectacle left the crowd quiet, and some even turned away.

After a dozen blows, she stopped, and Artie was released. Bloodied and unconscious, he flopped onto the hard ground.

"We naturally assumed the minor was the victim; Harmless, and not a threat to anyone."

"Once my partner kneeled down to console them, the minor picked up the dropped knife and killed him. Unbeknownst to us, that kid had shot four other innocent people that day. The two men we shot were just retaliating after their friend was unjustly murdered."

Wana stood straight and inhaled. When she released her stored breath, she shouted purposefully.

"I have judged that this man is incapable of harming me."

"From now on, he'll be under my direct supervision."

There was a moment of silence, then complaints and disputes exploded. Wana listened to them all, understanding their worries and doubts. But, in the end, her response was brief and straightforward.

"I will take responsibility for whatever happens."

With that, the alternation was ended. Not even thirty minutes after waking up, Artie was out cold, sleeping peacefully without a worry.

 

3