Chapter 39
258 8 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It wasn’t an Orc nor an Orog. It was an enormous man with long, curly hair. Fur grew out of his massive forearms with claws that adorned his fingers. Large, he wrapped bulky chains around his neck like a ship that was being anchored down to the floor.

“Oohh… It’s been a long time since any human has made it this far. The other humans put up a great fight–well–they still lost. Their bones forever lost within this never ending maze.” The beast-like man laughed. “I suppose I should congratulate you for making it through.”

Markus had his shield at the ready, his leg and arm pushed flush against the tower-like shield. The others had their skills at the ready. The power from their abilities was fluctuating within the room as the dust from the passageway spun around them.

Alphonse's eyes never once left the man. He could tell he was a fearsome opponent. All of his senses were screaming at him to run away, but the voice inside his mind strangely calmed him down. It was telling him it was okay to continue forward.

The beast-man was about to make a move when his head tilted to the side, his eyes opened wide as he stood rooted to the spot in shock. His massive frame stood to the side, revealing a jagged hold in the wall. There were no more passages. Alphonse could faintly see the jaggedness of a cave within the hole. The Veiled Caverns?!

“Well, your actual test is within. Who am I to stop the succession?” The beast man's eyes rested on Alphonse.

Alphonse was the first one to step forward, each stop followed the next, as he was soon in front of the tall beast-man. The man lowered his head as he stood further to the side.

“Let’s go.” Alphonse motioned to the others. His back disappeared within the hold of the wall.

The rest of the group looked at each other as they followed behind Alphonse. The hair rose on the back of their necks as they walked past the beast man. Lucus accidentally looked into the eyes of the beastman as he looked back at him. Lucus felt his skin crawl as a sudden intense feeling assaulted him. The beast man wanted to kill him.

Alphonse looked all around him. It was unmistakable. They were within a cave system. Large stalactites and stalagmites formed within the cavern. The sheer size of them meant this cave must have been millions of years old.

“So, we finally made it, then?” Markus looked around.

“Please don’t tell me there’s anything hidden in here.” Felecia’s meek body hid behind Markus as her little head bobbed around the cave walls.

“Based on our luck so far–I think that’s a guarantee–Felecia.” Tariq smiled.

“Stop taunting the poor girl, Tariq.” John said as he shook his head.

“It’s a bad idea getting into the bad books of our only healer.” Haydon added, a small smile forming on his lips.

“Bah, you’re just defending the only girl in the group.” Tariq snorted.

“Then what am I, Tariq?” Kristen’s fingers tapped her bow as her eyes shot daggers into Tariq’s body.

“Ah, umm. I didn’t mean it like that, Kristen. I just mean… th-that Felecia is more feminine, you know?” Tariq said, his eyes trying not to make eye contact with her.

“Feminine, huh.” Kristen nocked an arrow.

“Hey, what did that furry guy mean by succession?” Markus said. The large shield shifted upward as the corner scratched an itch on his head. “What does succession mean?”

“There it is, the meathead at it again.” Tariq said but quickly hid behind Alphonse, narrowly avoiding a stray swing from Markus’ fist. “It means nothing good is going to come from it, Markus. Don’t hit me.”

“You’re both halfwits, but Tariq is right. Surely it can’t be anything good.” Gabriel's perfect posture looked down at Tariq.

“Alright everyone, that’s enough. Stay focused.” Lucus shook his head, his hand never once left the hilt of his sword. The words from the beastman were ringing inside his head. Succession… shit, I have a bad feeling. His eyes once more lay upon Alphonse. He seemed deep in thought.

Haydon crouched down as he poked at something at his feet with his dagger. It emitted a foul stench. “It’s faeces. There’s something within this cave.” Then, his eyes landed on the next pile. Their number stretched farther than he could see.

Everyone turned to full alert.

It would mean a lot if you have enjoyed my story so far to leave a rating. Thank you everyone!

13