Chapter 42
208 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alphonse stared into the eyes of the beast. They felt… enchanting. He didn’t want to move–more accurately–he couldn’t. His body had completely halted, but his mind was screaming. Move… fucking move! His thoughts were thrashing around his head in chaos.

An arrow screamed past Alphonse’s eardrums, causing a dense ringing within one ear. The throbbing sensation travelled through his ear canal and drummed into his brain. Waking him up from the shackles that those fluorescent eyes of the monster had placed.

Alphonse’s eyes snapped open as an arrow had accurately penetrated the soft, squishy eye of the gargoyle. Blood and water from the inside of the eyeball seeped out, the fluorescent orange of the pupil trickled down its stone cracked face.

Alphonse threw his leg forwards as it collided with the beast's chest, the feeling of kicking a solid brick wall transmitted into his leg. He used the force to jump backwards as he fell back to the rest of the group.

“Don’t look at their eyes!” Alphonse urgently warned the group, as his eyes shifted to the monster's feet.

The others gravely nodded. They had witnessed Alphonse stand still with a blank expression on his face. They could guess it was related to a skill.

“This isn’t working…” Lucus looked around, having their fighting force split up wasn’t as good a plan as he thought. “Everyone together! We’ll move back slowly!”

The group rushed back into formation as they faced the two gargoyles.

“Plan failed huh Lucus?” Markus said as he spat out blood, his eyes had a faint golden hue to them as he vigilantly watched the monsters flying around, waiting for their dive bombing.

Lucus shook his head. Fuck, I almost got everyone killed. Take it slow and steady, no need to rush. Lucus thought, biting his tongue.

“I can handle the one on our flank, focus all you’ve got on the other oversized bat.” Markus said, his eyebrows were furrowed, large wriggling veins appeared on his forehead as his anger seethed.

Lucus nodded. “Get ready, everyone, use everything you have.”

The surrounding air surged. Alphonse could feel the power fluctuate around him as their skills were being activated.

The gargoyles finally made their move as their massive bodies descended like an anvil being dropped from a building. Their sheer weight came crashing down.

Markus’ dim golden eyes shone brightly, like a lighthouse during a dark stormy night. Golden metal seeped out from the shield, gently covering his arms as it spread upwards like a contagious virus. Within just a few seconds, a golden armour had covered Markus, head to toe, just as the gargoyle collided with his shield.


An enormous crash resounded outwards, like a hammer colliding with a gong. The energy from the collision absorbed into the shield and then blasted forwards with the same momentum that had smashed into him. Markus grunted as it shot backwards into the gargoyle, crashing into the obsidian floor underneath. Blood dribbled from his nose, mouth and ears as it fell down and stained his golden armour red. His knees collapsed to the floor as a warm embrace surrounded his body. The embrace travelled inside as the warmth covered his internal organs. Relieving some of the pain within. Markus’ head craned backwards as the familiar sight of Felecia’s staff entered his exhausted eyes.

The others had no time to worry as the other gargoyle rammed at them head first.

Gabriel planted his staff into the ground projecting forwards a large mirror like shield. Multiple projections bubbled forth, creating a large layered shield in front of the group.

The Gargoyle crashed into the mana shield as it instantly shattered into fragments of what appeared to be glass. The gargoyle tore through the multiple layers of mana shield, only managing to marginally slow it down as it continued forwards unimpeded.

The ranged fighters released their attacks as they pelted the tough stone-like skin of the gargoyle. One arrow danced into a spin as it spiralled into the shoulder of the monster like a diamond-tipped drill.

At the same time, Lucus’ sword flashed forwards, a spectral blade exited his longsword as the sound thrummed towards the beast. The dust from the ground underneath was lifted as gravity seemed to reverse around him. The spectral blade slammed into the gargoyle as a deep gash gouged into the chest of the beast, as it finally fell.

Alphonse’s stomach acid flared upwards and shot out from his mouth as he doused the gargoyle in his stomach fluid. Hot mist was emitted from its rocky skin as it melted away.

Everyone quickly dodged the hulking body of the gargoyle as Haydon and Oskar dashed forwards. They released skills from their weapons as they pelted the stone gargoyle that had crashed at their feet.

Lucus quickly looked around. The other gargoyle Markus had faced was already getting up from the attack. Markus was in no state to continue the fight.

“Fall back, now’s our chance!” Lucus grabbed hold of Markus and ran towards the carved out town.

Alphonse was about to join them, but his eyes turned cold. They loomed at the massive figure of the gargoyle; he was hungry. He sprinted forwards as a black shadow veiled his teeth. His eyes were bloodshot, as his teeth were projected in front of him. They clamped down onto the shoulder of the beast as a sizeable chunk of rocky flesh crawled down his throat.

[ Imprisoned Gargoyle consumed ]

| 8.4 strength added.

| 10.1 constitution added.

< Skill extraction failed. >

Fuck! Alphonse quickly jumped backwards before the gargoyle could hit him and sprinted towards the group. They had just entered the town as the gargoyles smashed into the buildings. Black obsidian shot around them like shrapnel as they hid behind cover.

“Alphonse, are you trying to get yourself killed?!” Felecia said as her vexed eyes shot Alphonse a glare that could kill.

“I was trying something.” Alphonse shook his head. It was a gamble, but he had to try something. He needed to become stronger and quicker. He could feel the addictive feeling of the added strength course through his veins like a drug, but it wasn't enough.

The group travelled further into the town and hid within a building.

“Well, what the fuck do we do now? Wait like a damned rabbit in its hole?” Tariq said as his leg kicked the wall, his breath was ragged as he took in swaths of air to calm himself down.

“Calm down Tariq. Lucus will have a plan.” Kristen leaned up against the wall. Her legs were weak, the terrifying power of the gargoyles fresh in her mind.

“Calm down? Those fucking oversized bats are probably just the fodder for that place. How are we meant to continue?” Tariq fumed, his back slid against the wall as he dejectedly sat down.

His words struck a chord with the group. They didn’t want to admit it but he was right.

Lucus had his eyes on Alphonse, his mind wandered to the times where he had turned crazy, like a mindless, blood crazed beast. His skill to steal abilities kept on playing in his mind. “Alphonse, you can do more than just steal their abilities by eating the monsters, right?” Lucus said, a hopeful plan began planning with his mind.

Alphonse looked confused. It wasn’t comfortable to tell everyone his secret ability, but their lives were on the line and Lucus was a lot smarter than he was. Alphonse wasn’t afraid to admit it. “I can gain a portion of their stats as well. If I cook them into recipes, it increases even further along with the chance to gain a skill or trait.” Alphonse said. He told him the truth.

“Shit, alright.” Lucus took a breath at the wondrous ability. He wasn’t the only one that was shocked. The entire group looked at Alphonse differently. “Alright, we’ll go back into the maze.” Lucus said. His mind had settled on a plan.

“Wait, Lucus, are you thinking what I’m thinking?” John looked back and forth.

Tariq’s laugh filled the room. “Fuck alright, operation feed Alphonse I guess?”

Everyone shook their heads at the absurd situation. Alphonse couldn’t help but give a wry smile if the entire group helped him. How strong would he grow? His mind wandered back to Krayton as his eyes hardened. I have no fucking choice now. To become strong and live, fuck my humanity. Alphonse thought, his small wry smile turning into a vicious grin.

11