Chapter 46
227 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was a strange feeling, losing your humanity. The things that made you human in the first place compassion, love, feelings, thoughts, consciousness. Alphonse felt none of that.

A primal strength surged within his body, from his bones to the muscle fibre that wrapped around his bones like a contracting shell. With it, a beastial roar left Alphonse’s mouth. It was a sound that shouldn’t be able to be heard from a human’s throat. It was guttural, filled with pain, wrath, and emptiness. He didn’t know what he was angry at. Himself, the betrayal, or the monster in front of him. Maybe all three?

His hands, that had just recovered from the severe burns of Gabriel’s meteor spell, clasped around the officer’s neck.

“Yes… Yes! That’s it. You need nothing like humanity. See if you can become Gluttony's apostle!” A scratchy cackle left the officer’s dry, dead throat. “Devour me if you can!”

Alphonse’s arm was wriggling with dense veins as his muscles contracted. His hands–like a vice–clamped down. The officer’s throat deformed and collapse, but a smile was still plastered on his face. It was a smile like one that had been hastily carved onto one of those hand crafted dolls.

The officer’s hand slammed forwards, the force collided with Alphonse’s chest as his body rocketed through the air. Scarlet blood scattered from his mouth like a shower as he slammed into the ground.

“Alphonse!” Felecia was about to run forwards but Markus held her back.

“Don’t, he’s not in the right state of mind right now.” Markus shook his head as he looked at the demon-like visage of Alphonse. Steam was powerfully exiting his mouth as he panted.

“Fuck, what do we do?” Tariq frowned.

“We should leave him. Follow Lucus, complete the mission.” Kristen bit her lip as she watched Alphonse crawl up onto his feet.

“Are you fucking crazy? Like hell.” Markus decided as he picked up his tower shield.

“Crazy? He’s a fucking murderer. Why risk our life for him?” Kristen said. Her eyes passed the monster and to the doorway that Lucus had entered.

“It’s because of Alphonse we even made it this far.” Felecia looked like she was about to explode, as her cheeks turned red.

“Will you shut up?” Gabriel sat exhausted on the floor. “Go. No one is stopping you, Kristen. But I don’t want to be defeated by something in that uniform.” Gabriel said. His prideful eyes shone forwards.

Kristen bit her tongue as she looked around. She wasn’t sure if she could make it, anyway. She didn’t have a movement skill like Lucus.

“We’ll provide cover for Alphonse.” Gabriel nodded towards the rest of the group.

Alphonse stomped on the ground as the rock beneath his feet shattered, his body propelled forwards as his body slammed into the officer. Finally, the monster was shot backwards. Alphonse’s crazed eyes were stuck to the humanoid like glue as his legs continued to chase forwards.

Alphonse raised his foot and slammed it towards the monster’s chest. The mark of a foot imprinted itself like a brand on the monster’s chest, the feeling of bones crunching and snapping transmitted into his leg. Alphonse was about to stomp once more, but the officer’s hand caught his foot. The flesh had been removed and only the sickly white bone remained.

In the next second, an arm that had rotten flesh segments still attached to it emerged from the officer’s back. The arm was bigger than the rest as it swatted Alphonse to the ground.

Words from the system appeared in his mind.

< Skill Upgraded - [ Spectral Rage ] Your body runs with the blood of an Orog and a human. You can think clearly within your rage induced state. >

What is going on? Alphonse rolled onto the ground and sprang up onto his feet. His body listened to his commands.

He could still feel that foreign strength course through his body as he quickly dodged an attack from the front. The officer was incredibly fast, but Alphonse’s body was finally listening to his mind.

Ice covered his fingers like a beast's claws. Bone spikes shot at him from in front as his body twitched to the side, barely dodging the bone projectiles. Alphonse’s hand touched the floor and the blood that covered him shot along the floor and spiked upwards, towards the abdomen of the officer. The spike made contact… but it wasn't able to penetrate the bone like armour. Shit, I need my intelligence higher for my ice arts to do anything. I need to do something else. Alphonse thought the only skill that could do enough damage was his bite. I need to get close. The thought propelled him forwards once more.

As Alphonse was running, two arrows bore through the air as they shot towards the monster like a bullet. They struck right for the officer’s eyeballs.

Haydon appeared out of the shadows as his dagger gleamed a sinister light. I’ll not focus on damage, instead I’ll use an anti-movement skill. With the thought, a black silk-like substance shot out from his dagger as it wrapped around the monster’s legs. The monster was about to break free when Alphonse was already in front of him.

Alphonse regurgitated his stomach acid onto his free hand as he flicked the man-eating fluid forwards. It splashed onto the torso of the officer as its clothes disintegrated, revealing a ghastly malnourished body underneath. Bones protruded from the body as they spiked out in all directions. It looked like a body that had been crushed and compressed and then stretched back out repeatedly.

Then, the arrows that had pierced forwards shattered in midair as a snare covered the body of the officer.

Alphonse activated his [ Swallowing Bite ] skill. His almost 200 points of strength enhanced his bite force. The black shadowed teeth opened wider than the officer’s head as they clamped down towards the monster.

Reach! Alphonse screamed internally as he urged his bite forwards. He watched as his teeth could practically taste the dead flash but then the officer suddenly flickered backwards. His movements left an afterimage as his body reappeared a distance in front of them. The monster waited for no one as Alphonse felt a gust of wind blow around him and converged in the officer's palm.

Fuck. Alphonse felt a pit in his stomach as he watched the monster get ready to attack.

“Markus, cover us!” Gabriel’s urgent voice sounded out. He could tell from his experience with controlling mana he was readying for an attack. The violent fluctuation of mana told him they were in danger.

The officer moved his arm in a cutting motion as a blade of highly condensed air shot forwards, with the warning from their own wizard. Markus had already set up his shield as his eyes began brimming with a golden luster.

Alphonse dug his feet into the ground as he hurled himself backwards behind the shield of Markus. Just as Alphonse’s back disappeared behind the tower shield, the air blade swept forwards like a grim reaper's scythe. The massive blade collided with the shield, golden liquid splashed onto Markus’ arms as a thick membrane of armour protected his body.

The force of the blade almost swept them off their feet, but Alphonse’s high strength supported the shield from behind.

“This isn’t working.” Alphonse said, as he gritted his teeth. “He’s too focused on me. I can’t reach him.”

Oskar looked ahead at the monster. He wanted to be a part of the plan but… He looked down at his trembling hands. I don’t want to die, not here. I can’t do anything. I can’t help. The thought made his words that were about to exit die down in his throat. He dragged his body slowly to the back. His hands were clenched so hard that his nails cut into his palms. He ignored the blood that dripped to the floor.

“Wait, I have an idea, but I’m not sure it’ll work.” Gabriel said as he held his staff. Light radiated from the tip. “Think we can blind the bastard?” Gabriel opened his palm to reveal a bright light.

“We can give it a shot. I’ll hold them in my palm and release them when I’m close.” Haydon took hold of the fireflies as Gabriel added even more. They were brighter than before, as Haydon quickly hid them within his grasp.

“Release all of your attacks at once when we can.” Alphonse said.

“Guys, he’s move-” The officer slammed into Markus interrupting his words.

Alphonse shot forwards as his cleaver swept towards the monster. It had grown another arm that was thicker and longer than usual, its amalgamation of flesh and bone swaying in the air like a battering club.

“Are you slowing down?” The officer’s cold mocking voice rang in Alphonse’s ears.

Fuck, he’s right. Alphonse thought. He could already feel the added weight of his arms and legs. It was becoming harder to stand. He bit his tongue, forgetting about his exhaustion, he raged forwards. Alphonse's head lurched back as his green acid bile shot out from his throat. He sprayed it in an arc to impede the officer's movements.

Alphonse looked around, but Haydon wasn’t in sight. Hah, has he also abandoned us? His lips curved upward.

Then, just as the officer moved out of the way of the acid, a bright blinding light radiated forwards. Immediately after the light had shone, the mana within the courtyard fluctuated wildly. The archers had unleashed their skills.

A pillar of golden light that was as bright as the sun appeared out of nowhere as it hovered above the officer’s head. Felecia’s hands were trembling as blood seeped out from her nose and ears. Then… her eyes closed as her exhausted body fell to the hard, tiled ground below.

11