9 – Castle Haimorrha
4.7k 3 127
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

- Bridget -

It wasn’t far into our second night in the swamp that a massive structure became visible on the horizon. It was a set of huge black brick walls, and obsidian spires that towered over them which seemed to pierce the clouds. Surrounding the walls was a swampy moat no doubt filled with dozens of those lurker monsters. The castle definitely gave off a very “evil fortress” sort of vibe.

When we approached the wall a drawbridge was lowered automatically, letting us inside. The inside of the castle was even more impressive than the outside. The spires I saw earlier were part of a huge palace that sat in the center of the courtyard. The palace was mostly black but decorated in gold. Cobblestone pathways snaked toward each of the gothic-style buildings. The rest of the courtyard was covered in a strange red moss instead of grass, and there were what looked like Japanese Maple trees interspersed between the buildings.

We were greeted by four people. Presumably vampires, as they all had the familiar red eyes. The tallest one was clad in black robes, and the two at his sides wore light armor with swords at their hips. Probably guards. Separate from the rest was a woman in glasses and a maid uniform whose brown hair was tied back in a ponytail.

The robed man stepped forward, combing a clawed hand through his short white hair. “I trust your mission was a success?” There was a sort of disdainful look on his face as he asked the question.

Stacy responded by holding up two fingers. V for victory. “You think I would have trouble with a bunch of lowlifes, Dante?”

He scoffed, “Well you certainly took your time out there then didn’t you?”

“I was just having too much fun torturing the lowlifes though! Isn’t that what Lord Dagon would want?”

He shook his head. “One of these days that leisurely attitude of yours will cost you.”

Next the robed man, err Dante, turned his attention to me. I stiffened under his gaze. “Who is this then? A new pet of yours?”

“Oh,” Stacy clapped her hands together, ignoring him and turning to the maid instead. “Priscilla, this is Bridget. She’s a personal guest of mine. Take her to the guest house and make sure she’s comfortable. Treat her as you would treat me.”

“As you wish, Lady Stacy.” The maid bowed her head.

I could see Dante’s eyebrow twitch, obviously irritated at being ignored. He scoffed and stomped away, mumbling something under his breath. The two guards followed behind him.

Stacy turned to me next. “I have some business to attend to. Just make yourself at home and let Priscilla take care of you, okay?”

“You’re leaving?” I felt uneasy about being away from Stacy. We only met a few days ago, but every second I spent in this world before meeting her had been horrible.

She held my hands. “I’ll be back as soon as I can, promise. I just need to make a report.”

Stacy left for the palace, and Priscilla escorted me to the guest house.

The guest house was near the back of the castle, three stories high and with a large single story building to its side. The interior looked somewhat like a hotel lobby, with a receptionist standing behind a desk with several keys hanging up behind her.

“Guest of Lady Stacy. Single bed, one of your pre-stocked rooms,” Priscilla told the receptionist.

The receptionist nodded an handed her the key.

“Second floor,” Priscilla told me, looking at the number printed on the key. “Follow me.”

127