18 – Divine Inspiration
3.6k 10 97
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

- Stacy -

“He manipulated the girl for sure, but there’s no evidence that he’s broken any of our laws,” Dagon told me.

Just like the maid I spoke to earlier, Dante had likely used a domination spell to prevent Bridget from speaking against him. That was the conclusion Dagon had come to after speaking with Bridget.

We were speaking in the same private room where I had first told Dagon about Bridget.

“Can’t you release her then? She didn’t even know what she was doing,” I implored him.

He shook his head. “Like I said yesterday. If all she did was wash the statue, her punishment would have been light. But she splashed the water on the idol. That was an insult to our god, and she did it deliberately. Even if we find Dante guilty of some crime, she will still have to serve her own sentence.”

I wasn’t having much luck convincing Dagon. The only way to change his mind would probably be to dig up some information, to prove that Bridget hadn’t acted on her own will. The thing was, I wasn’t sure if that was even the case. If Bridget thought Haimorrha was responsible for her gift, then I could see why she might try to spite him. It was foolish, but then again Bridget was a foolish girl.

In the first place, breaking a domination spell like Charm Humanoid or whatever similar spell Dante might have was difficult. It would require a spell breaker, and there weren’t any spell breakers in the service of Haimorrha. The spell would wear off on its own given time, at least. It seemed we didn’t have many options.

“Excuse me,” I said, standing to leave. “I’d like to pray for a bit.

Dagon nodded, and I knelt before the statue of Haimorrha that Bridget had defiled the day before.

“Please, Haimorrha,” I prayed, “I don’t know what to do. I don’t want that girl to suffer.”

I presented my feelings to Haimorrha and waited, concentrating. Finally, I was graced with an answer. I heard his voice in my mind, that distant, booming voice that I so seldom get to hear. He spoke to me. “Dante and Dagon have both insulted you,” he told me. “They have taken from you what is yours. Reclaim your rightful property.”

I sat in shock for a while. Was that really what I should do? Rescue Bridget against Dagon’s orders? But going against Dagon would mean going against the whole castle. But to not heed Haimorrha’s word would be a disgrace. I suppose this is what I get for following a god who loves conflict. It was fine. As long as I could avoid a direct fight with Dagon. I could beat anyone else.

This was probably exactly what Dante wanted too. He had always wanted to get rid of me. He was jealous of my closeness with Dagon. With me out of the way, he probably figured there was more room for him.

It frustrated me to admit, but Dante had won. I would be leaving the castle.

I gathered Priscilla and Leslie in the same room, Leslie’s bedroom, and made sure to speak in hushed tones. There was the possibility that Dante had a familiar nearby, and wolves had sharp ears. We were seating around the dining table. “I’ll be leaving the castle with Bridget soon,” I told them the situation. “Leslie, can you take us in?”

“Of course,” she folded her hands together. “Anything for my best friend. I was just getting home sick too, I think a trip home will do me good.” She turned to Priscilla, “How about you, Prissy?”

Priscilla had an apologetic look on her face. “I’m sorry, Lady Stacy. I would love to go with you, but I still haven’t earned the right to stand in the sun. I would slow you down.”

I frowned. “So you’re staying behind?” The idea of not being able to see Priscilla any more was heart breaking.

“Of course not!” she proclaimed. “I am sworn to you, Lady Stacy. I can’t live apart from you. I will just be departing separately, and on a later date so I don’t run into trouble. We’ll meet again in Lumedia.”

97