Chapter 8: Trip
181 2 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*

I arrived at the inn to find Gary awake, as spry as ever. I greeted him and Charlotte, setting my suitcases down. 

Gary remarked, "Nice stuff. And here we were travelling light."

I replied, "I'm interested in flowers and research, something you must have missed since you passed out early."

He grimaced, and Charlotte laughed at him, "We will get along just fine. This nut needs some cracking now and then."

Gary cried, "Jason! I was the one who brought you in. I thought we were sworn brothers. This betrayal will not be forgotten!"

I just laughed along with their banter. They also settled down and took a bath while I rested. I took out a book called 'The Art of War' that I had bought in Narfolt. I wanted to keep expanding my knowledge.

'My father gave me four books on psychology, strategy, and general knowledge to read every night while giving me feedback the next day for the past three months. I should keep the habit.'

I had learned to speed read books in the first few days of training. When Charlotte finished bathing, I had already concluded one. 

On top of reading, I also learned Transmutation from one of my father's 'friends'. His talent was terrifying, to say the least. 

Mana control and expansion were taught by Captain Lowell.

Gary exhaled while looking out the window, "Hah~. You know, I never thought I'd actually live this life. Here we are, our whole lives in front of us. Travelling without constraint, and with the whole world at our grasp. Do you guys ever wonder what kind of adventures we will have? I can't help but dream of all the people we will meet."

'Me too, Gary.'

I put down my book, and he looked at us, "Let's make the best of it, guys!"

Charlotte stood there nodding, her hands clenched. I also nodded and put on what I thought was an unwavering gaze.

'Gary does have some type of charm. Something that makes people trust him and his free spirit.'

They got dressed and packed up what little things they brought. 

Gary only brought a suitcase with coins and presumably some mementoes. There were some amateurish paintings of a family along with some random objects. I did not get to make out any specific features of the paintings.

Charlotte, contrastingly, brought a few changes of clothes which looked very expensive. 

The most noticeable object though was the giant sword now strapped to her back which seemed to be of exceptional quality. She carried it as effortlessly as a wooden stick.

We looked at each other standing around and laughed awkwardly.

*

We left Narfolt without anyone noticing. I looked around and found my horse still grazing nearby and put my suitcases on the side. 

Gary looked at me like a crazy person, "You left your horse unattended? Someone could have stolen it! You're so lucky you still found it."

I put on an embarrassed expression, "Well, I didn't think of that. And I'm sorry for forgetting to tell you guys I have a horse."

'As if just anyone could steal a horse bred and trained in the Devereux household.'

Charlotte giggled and said to Gary, "Well, this is unexpected. Should we also buy a horse? Or are you still going to say they hinder our free spirit?"

"Arghhh! Fine."

One hour later, they each bought a horse and then we all left on horseback. Gary, our self-designated navigator, took out a map and asked, "We can either go through three or two towns on the way. What do you guys think?"

Charlotte decided nonchalantly, "I'm fine either way."

I also replied, "Me too."

I already knew what Gary would choose, and it was better for me.

Gary smiled, "Okay. Then let's take the long route. Haha! First destination- Latvi!"

*

The sun was setting, and we decided to rest for the night. 

Latvi was a town that required two days on horseback and it did us no good to force ourselves to arrive early. There were still more than twenty days before the opening of the Academy.

I heard that it was a town booming with commerce. 

'There's probably a huge chance to come across an Awakened in Latvi.'

I transmuted the ground and made a shallow pit. Charlotte broke down some trees and put them in, and Gary started the fire. It only took a few seconds.

Charlotte offered to go hunting. We agreed since she was physically the most capable.

After she left, Gary asked in a sly tone, "So? What do you think about her?"

I jerked my head, "Who? Charlotte?"

He rolled his eyes, "Who else?"

I replied, "Well, she's nice. But I'm not someone who has ever been romantically involved with someone. So I don't want to bother."

He cocked up his brow, "Really? Hahahaha! You're an Awakened. You could have any commoner you want. Why not?"

I simply shrugged, "I guess I want it to be with someone special."

I said it hoping that he would not bother me about this in the future.

He pondered, "Hmm~. That's understandable. But you're young. Your elder brother Gary will show you the way yet! As they say, where the milk flows is where happiness is abundant!"

I sighed. 

We heard a rustle and stopped talking as Charlotte walked out of the forest with two enormous boars on her shoulders. She looked wild and beautiful.

She put them down and huffed, "Now, Gary. It's your time to cook."

Gary smiled proudly and pounded his chest, "Leave it to me."

I stepped in, "Guys. Since I'm the youngest here, why don't I cook? It would be impolite of me to depend on my elders."

I wanted to create a closer relationship.

They looked at me in surprise. Gary challenged, "Hmph. Let's have a cook-off!"

I smiled, "Sure!"

*

I gave Charlotte the plate of food I had made. Me and Gary looked on with bated breath as she took a bite.

Charlotte licked her fingers, sighing with contentment, "Haa~, that was delightful!"

It was clear from her reaction who won.

The food I made was a mix of the boar with an assortment of spices I got from the nearby forest, and my knowledge of the flora helped a lot. Add to that the amount of cookbooks I had read along with my refined palette. Gary had no chance.

I smiled smugly at him, "I am the head chef now."

Gary glared and charged at me. Charlotte shouted while laughing, "Jason, beat that self-proclaimed chef up!"

I dodged his charge by rolling to the left. He whipped his head towards my direction and charged again. I could see that even though he was not serious, he had no skills in fighting. 

This time, I decided to stand my ground and received his charge while directing his momentum towards the ground. We tussled half-heartedly for a while.

In the end, we just laid down on the grassy earth while breathing heavily and looking up at the starry sky. 

Charlotte was sitting near the fire looking like a mother watching her two children play.

Gary reached his hands up towards the sky as if attempting to reach them. He sighed, "A harem of sworn brothers." 

Charlotte broke out laughing. Her laughter was far-reaching.

*

I got up in the middle of the night and covered myself with my aura, blocking any sound from escaping. 

I checked to make sure Gary and Charlotte were sleeping, walked towards my suitcases, and opened one. I took out two parchments and a pen.

Firstly, I took in the environment along with the night sky. 

The trees and flowers danced like ladies, each dressed more fabulously than any designer could craft. 

They moved as if choreographed by the wind, in perfect timing with one another. They were the life and soul of the midnight, and I wondered how many hues of green my eyes were witnessing. 

They stretched upwards and outwards toward the moon, drinking in the rays as pure as the rain. I stretched my arms up too, fingers spread toward the parchment, and slowly began to paint.

The pen on paper felt right. It took me about fifteen minutes to complete it. 

I moved on to the sleeping Gary and Charlotte. 

Gary's face was average, but his personality was eccentric. I painted him with a flower called the Drane. Its ordinary look, with its contrasting properties, properly fitted him.

Charlotte was painted with a flower called the Dire Ivy. Fiery red and poisonous yet beautiful.

I took great care in painting their features, contours and muscles.

'What would happen if they woke up right now?'

I felt some sort of thrill at the thought but buried it deep inside.

Their chest slowly rising and falling, coupled with the scenic beauty, radiated calmness. 

'This is trust.'

I finished their full-body portrait in thirty minutes, rolled up the parchments, and locked them in my suitcase. 

I sat down calmly on a secluded spot and looked up at the sky. 

'How will this end?'

****

10