Chapter 1
41 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I stared into the holo mirror and quickly adjusted my black tie, ensuring it hung just above my belt. Quickly, I pulled my white undershirt down just a little and then worked on the uniform's collar before buttoning it up, hiding the clothing underneath. Many would consider this excessive, but if there was one thing that I was ornery about, it was ensuring that my uniform was beyond perfect.

I checked my blue early training ribbon to ensure that it was exactly two inches above the uniform's pocket before I went on to the rest of my uniform. With a quick flick of my wrist, I adjusted my collar slightly and smoothed out a few wrinkles that had appeared on its slate grey surface. I ran my hands down my uniform, smoothing out the last bit of wrinkles and removing any stray hairs that may have found their way onto my clothing. With one last check, I nodded my head, happy that I got rid of most of the things wrong with my uniform.

I reached up, put my auburn hair into a tight bun, and tucked away the hair tie, making sure it was out of sight. With most of my uniform check out of the way, I was in a pretty good mood. My eyes drifted down towards my rank patch, drinking in the sight. It was a single chevron that was the color of a lilac with a solid bar above it, representing my rank as a senior neophyte of the Etheric Order. Above that was the white sword and shield symbol of the Order, representing our role in the grand scale of things.

I stared at it lovingly for a moment before I reached out to my desk and grabbed my name tag, and stared at it for a moment. Inscribed across its surface was the name Kade. My last name one that has grown synonymous with my first at this point. I affixed it to my shirt and straightened out my tie once more. More out of a nervous habit since I knew it was perfect.

Today was the day I would be sent to mars base to be formally inducted into the Order. Since I was below the minimum age to enlist with them for the last three years, I have been in their delayed training program. Most just wait till they turn sixteen to join them. My ambition, however, has paid off since I am enlisting a rank higher than most do. Though that puts a lot of pressure on my shoulders to perform at an even higher level.

Though I wouldn't say that it bothers me, I live for the challenge. I cleared my throat and looked over my uniform once more before glancing back at my face. I just redid my eyebrows, so that was in Order. They were uniform and held a soft curve, well within regulations at any rate. I grabbed a wipe and dabbled away at a few marks on my face. Once I was satisfied, I flashed a wide, toothy smile. Today was the day after all! I did one last check and attached my smartwatch to the point that my uniform cuff met my wrist and then dismissed the holo-mirror.

I walked over to my standard-issued bag and did a quick once over to ensure everything I needed was there. I had my birth certificate, delayed paperwork, toiletries, datapad, and genealogy records. Those were the most significant things next to having the clothing that I needed.

After triple-checking everything, I carefully repacked my bag and sealed it, and did a cursory glance around the room. Everything was in place and sealed. The only thing left out was a picture of my dad and me. The day before, he shipped out to the hayclone system to fight on the front lines against the Vespian threat. It's been four years since, and the most I get to talk to him is through holo-vids when he gets a chance.

I understand the matter more now than I was growing up. But it still doesn't help numb the pain that it sparks. I walked over to the picture and placed it in my bag. We were allowed to take some personal effects, and I wasn't taking anything but the bare essentials. But this picture is one I'll take with me. I walked over to the windows and looked outside for a moment. Massive buildings reached into the sky, and cars flew between them in massive swarms.

I lived in New York city; from what I remember from history class, this was once a crown jewel of the United States. Though now it was the capital city of the humanities interplanetary empire. Mostly due to it being a united nations headquarters at the time.

A part of me wishes I would have joined the army or the navy. But I knew from the start that my heart belonged to the Order. There were foes that no simple human could hope to match, and only knights could hope to subdue. I will protect those who can't defend themselves. For that will be the oath I will take when I am fully inducted. I stared out across the sprawling metropolis for a few moments before closing the curtains and grabbing my bag and cover. Without sparing my bedroom another gaze, I closed the door and walked down the hall into the kitchen.

My aunt Sarah was sitting at a table reading through her tablet. Her auburn hair was tied up in a loose bun, and a few stray strands of hair were loose, dancing gently in the slight draft in the apartment. I set my bag on the table, and she glanced up from her tablet and gazed at me with her radiant sapphire eyes.

"Oh, is it that time?" Her voice was rife with sadness, and she set her tablet down on the table. I nodded and grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge unit that hung on the wall.

"Yeah. I have to be at the spaceport no later than twenty hundred hours." I twisted the cap off the bottle and downed the chilled liquid, which helped soothe some of my nerves.

"Is this still something that you want to do? You still have time to back out before you take your oaths. You are still young and have time." Her emerald eyes bored into me, imploring me to consider her words.

"No, I've already told you. This is what I want, and there isn't anything that can change that." I sat down in the chair across from her, and crossed my legs, and smoothed out a few of the wrinkles that formed on my black dress pants.

She stared at me for a moment longer before she flared her nose and nodded her head. "I know. I just don't want to lose you like I lost my sister."

I understood her worry, though it did nothing to sway what was already in motion. "I know. But you won't lose me like you lost mom." I never really got to know my mom. She died a few years after I was born, in the Proxian War. I wish she were still here. Though no one could ever replace my biological mother, Sarah came in a close second.

She sniffled back a tear, stood up, and threw her arms around me. I pulled her into me and held her close, cherishing this moment since I knew it would be the last one for a long time. "Have I ever told you that you look just like her?" Sarah pulled away from me and wiped away some tears running down her cheek.

"You have a few times," I replied as I straightened out my uniform once more.

"The most uncanny part is those eyes. You are the only other person I have ever met with eyes as green as she did." Sarah grabbed my water bottle, walked it to the recycling unit, and placed it inside.

A part of me flittered with happiness at that comment, though talking about her was depressing. I wish she were here to see me now. "Do you think mom would be proud of me?"

"Rebekah was duty driven to the bone. I know that she never dreamed her daughter could join the Order. But if she were here today, she would be beyond ecstatic." Sarah spun around and rested against the granite countertop. One that I knew was exceedingly expensive but well within her means.

"That makes me happy to hear. It's not fair that she isn't here. I wish her and dad could walk with me to the spaceport." I felt a frown spread across my face, and Sarah walked over to me and gave me another hug.
"Hey, I'm the one who is supposed to be sad here, not you. Besides, I'm sure that your father would have loved to be here today. "She told me as she rested her head against my top.

I held her back and nodded, fighting back the emotion that was welling in my chest. "I haven't heard from him in a few weeks, and I'm worried."

"If something happened to him, you would have heard about it by now. Try not to let it bother you. I'm sure that you will hear from him soon." She placed a hand on my head, and I nodded.

"You're right. Maybe I'm just overthinking right now." I tried to push away the thoughts that whispered something terrible had happened. Mostly, I was successful. But there was still that gnawing thought.

"Good. Now, is there any chance I can convince you to stay?" Sarah pulled back and stared at me questioningly.

"Not a chance." I rolled my eyes at her. I knew she would try to slide that in again. It was just a matter of time.

"It was worth a shot." Sarah glanced at one of her antique analog clocks that she had hung up. The sound of the steady ticking filled the room in the moments that we weren't talking.

"That it was." I glanced at my smart watch and saw it was going on thirteen hundred hours. "Anyway, I need to get going soon." I stood up and adjusted my uniform
.
"So soon? You still have six hours." My aunt whined, and I let out a small chuckle.

"You know how I am. If I am on time, I am running late." I glanced down at the watch to check the location of my taxi and saw that it was just a few blocks away.

"I know, I know. You grew up so fast. I'm going to miss you, Rhea. You come back home, okay? Please don't end up dead on some backwater planet." She gave me one last hug, and I hugged her back with everything I was worth.

"I'll come back home, I promise," I reassured her as I held her for dear life.

1