[Vol 1 Ch 10] Let’s Go On An Adventure!
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It didn’t take very long to track down both bandages and food. Soon, we were feasting on warm and buttery flatbread as Ellie told me about their encounter with the nameless Angran boy.

I shook my head in disbelief. First some Angran bully stole a quarry as rare as a phoenix, then their own fellow army-candidates stole the monster they found to replace it? The past few weeks had not been kind to my friend. It never ceased to amaze me how they kept laughing and joking about these events despite their misfortunes. 

“What a load of bullcrap,” I commented, flicking a crumb off of Ellie’s face. “At least those asses won’t be able to make any sort of weapon with an Island Turtle. Small justices.” 

“Eh? What do you mean? Island Turtles are valuable, ain’t they?” 

“Yes—because their shells can be ground up into potent fertilizers and medicines. They’re useless as materials for weapons.” I paused, and looked at them more carefully. “You…do want to join the army…don’t you?” 

“What kind of a question is that, Nania? I’ve been training to be a warrior since I was six—and I had to be damn persistent for them to let me try at all!” 

“I know, I know how hard you’ve worked, Ellie. But…er…you don’t seem the warrior…type?” 

As much as I hated it…those bullies had a point, however warped and twisted. Ellie was kind. This was a fact, as true as how the suns shine and rain falls. The idea of Ellie dying…or worse, of Ellie killing and becoming cruel… I’d rather see the Sun Fiend raze this city to the ground than see such a thing come to pass. 

A hand gripped my wrist, gently but firmly. As Ellie pulled my hand away from my mouth, I realized I’d almost begun chewing on my nails again. Then they surprised me by pulling me into a hug. 

“It’ll be okay,” they murmured near my ear. “I won one battle without killing. I know I can do it again.” 

“What if you can’t? A battlefield, a war, isn’t like a duel…” 

“Then it’ll still be okay. And you’ll be okay. You’ll be happy, and safe, and I’ll be happy too.” They closed their eyes, a content smile on their face. “Everything will turn out okay. I just…have a real good feeling. I’m sure I can show them all that I’m not wrong. That I can win without killing…” 

I wanted to tell them that it wouldn’t be okay. I wouldn’t be okay. Not stuck in this city. Not alone. Not without their kindness, as crucial as sunlight is to sprouting wheat. I wished I could understand where their optimism came from, that I could be as bright and hopeful as them. 

“...I know what to do!” Elian said. I looked at him curiously. He continued, “If you’re worried I can’t protect myself, I’ll just show you I can—and you, too, while I’m at it!” 

“Wait, what do you mean—” I yelped as he picked me up. 

“I lost the materials for my weapon, so I gotta go find some more—and you’re coming with me!” he proclaimed. “We’re going to the Deep Woods together, and we ain’t leaving until I find a monster that gets Lady Nania’s seal of approval! And if the priestesses get mad…eh, tell ‘em I kidnapped you. ” 

“E-ellie! Put me down! I’ve never been outside Gresha before!” 

“It’s okay, I have!” He grinned, and for a moment so contagious was his courage that I couldn’t help but believe him. “I’m the Turtle-Hero, and you’re the Red-Haired Witch! And we’re going on an adventure!”

0