Chapter 7: Encounter
9 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The two had just hidden themselves in a bush when they found another presence nearby. They immediately put up their vigilance and noticed a weird kid staring blankly at them. He  was wearing oversized bloody clothes and had the aura of a mortal person. At the moment, Raiden was thinking how to approach them and try to make a good impression. Obviously he had already used <Appraisal> on the two.

 

[Name: Cai Long]

[Age: 11]

[Bloodline: Half-human]

[Title: <Low-level Protagonist>, <Descendant of the Exiled Tribe>]

[Cultivation level: Body Tempering 5th level]

[Spiritual root: Heaven grade Fire root]

[Skills: <Sword mastery (Intermediate)>, <Flame Control (Intermediate)>, <Dragon aura (locked)>, <Detection (Basic)>]

[Innate talent: <Fire Breath (locked)>]

[Current affinity: 0 (Vigilant)]

 

[Name: Meng Xiaoling]

[Age: 12]

[Bloodline: Human]

[Title: none]

[Cultivation level: Body Tempering 2nd level]

[Spiritual root: Heaven grade Ice root]

[Skills: <Sword mastery (Basic)>]

[Innate talent: <Frost Wave (locked)>]

[Current affinity: 0 (Distrustful)]

 

Raiden realised that as long as there wasn’t a vast difference in strengths, he could use <Appraisal> on the other person. He wasn’t surprised to see two domineering family names appear right off the bat. He could only say, as expected of the protagonist. He was about to strike a conversation with the protagonist and his potential future lover when the System chimed in.

[System shall kindly give you a tip. Host is advised not to use his real name as the names in this world resemble Chinese names. Your unknown origin might make them suspicious. Host should be grateful for the advice.]

Raiden ignored the taunt and said in his mind, “No, that won’t work. If I want to return to Earth, I would have to visit countless places which have their own traditions. Do you want me to change identities like a chameleon every time I go somewhere new?”

He ignored the system and finally broke the silence, “Hi, I am Raiden and I don’t bear any malice toward you two. Though I may not sound convincing, as you can see, I am not strong enough to harm you even if I want.”

The girl scrutinised him silently. She had long noticed the kid who was wearing weird clothes and was covered in blood, had the aura of a mortal person. With her noble temperament along with her beautiful appearance, everyone she met before had a look of desire and longing in their eyes. Although she was young, she was used to such looks from a young age and realised that the boy in front didn’t seem to harbour any bad designs for her. Although she didn’t completely put her guard down, it should be okay to rest a little. As for his origins, she didn’t care and began to regulate her breathing to heal her wounds.

On the other hand, the young boy had a handsome appearance and his long fiery red hair complimented his tall and sturdy figure. He looked at Raiden and said, “I believe you. Sorry to point our swords at you earlier. I am Cai Long and this is…”. He was wondering whether he should introduce the girl when she said on her own, “I am Meng Xiaoling, Young Miss of the Meng clan.”

'Ah! Is this arrogance or is she just straightforward?' Raiden thought.

Well, Raiden was pleased when he even got a reply. He thought that it might be because of his innate talent and weak strength that they trusted him so easily. Although he already knew, he showed a look of slight surprise on his face. He looked at the girl meditating nearby. With her long blue hair and childish appearance, she was indeed a heaven-defying beauty. But he wasn’t interested in her, it was better to make a favourable first impression and become stronger. 

Raiden cupped his hands and said, “Pleased to meet you, Master Cai and Miss Meng. I apologise for my unsightly appearance.”

Cai Long replied, “No need for formalities. We are all of the same age, just call us by our names.”

Meng Xiaoling said nothing when she heard that and simply nodded with a slight smile. It seemed like she had also let go of her inhibitions.

'Oi, oi. I may have that special innate talent but aren't you two trusting me a little too easily. Well, as long as it works, it's fine, I guess.' 

With the barrier between them broken, Raiden said, “Then I wouldn’t be polite, hehe. Both of you seem to have extraordinary origins and are quite powerful too. It is my pleasure to be your friend. If you need my help, feel free to ask. Ah, let me change my clothes first.”

Cai Long was slightly stunned, he hadn’t said anything about his family and a mortal shouldn’t be able to gauge his strength. And although the other party seemed to have guessed something, he didn’t sense any malice either. He couldn’t help asking, “Why do you say so, Brother Raiden?”

Raiden knew that unless he showed some capability, he wouldn’t be regarded highly by the protagonist and would become cannon-fodder instead. So, while he was changing clothes behind a tree, he took a gamble. “Hehe, my instincts are quite strong, you know. Otherwise, I wouldn’t have survived in this forest as a mortal. There is a strange aura around you which I can’t recognise and it seems like you are hiding your actual strength. Am I wrong?" Saying this, he peeked from behind the tree and smiled at them playfully.

Cai Long was taken aback and simply stared at Raiden with jaws wide open. Meng Xiaoling also opened her eyes and looked at Cai Long inquiringly. Raiden sighed and said, “You are right, Brother Raiden. I feel that we will get along well in the future. Your instincts are really quite good. As for my strength, I am merely at Body-Tempering 5th level and had to take precautions since we are meeting for the first time in a forest. Hope you understand.”

“No worries, that’s how it should be. Do you mind me asking why you two are in such a pitiful state? You can’t be eloping, right?” Raiden tried to lighten the mood.

Meng Xiaoling blushed and Cai Long said with a smile, “Haha, don’t joke brother. We met each other a few days earlier and decided to gain battle experience in the forest together. A wild bear at the Body Tempering 9th level chased us earlier and we got rid of it with a lot of difficulty. Oh, I am also staying at her house since I am not originally from this place. Why don’t you come with us? Do you mind, Xiao’er?”

Meng Xialong obviously wanted to be alone with Cai Long. So before she could say anything, Raiden said, “That wouldn’t be appropriate, brother Long. I will accompany you to town and we shall meet again, if fate permits. Don’t worry, Miss Xiaoling, I wouldn’t be the third wheel,” Raiden winked at Meng Xiaoling. 

She was feeling both shy and grateful. Right now, Raiden appeared to be quite pleasant to her eyes. She even thought of befriending him to get together with Cai Long sooner. Otherwise, who knew how long it would take for Cai Long to realise it on his own. Thinking about this, she said, “Don’t say that, Raiden. You are treating us as outsiders. You don’t seem to be a native of this place. Come stay with us for a few days.”

No one saw the slight smirk on Raiden’s lips. ‘Haha, did you like my reverse psychology? You two are too naive to be playing with me,’ he thought.

[Host, who was it that said something about the <Scheming> skill earlier?]

‘Shut up! This is being clever, not scheming.’

He decided to ignore the system and replied, “Haha, then I wouldn’t stand on formalities. Thank you, Miss Xiaoling. Let’s go when you two have adjusted your injuries.”

 

2