[Chapter thirty-one] Errant thoughts
230 3 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sparkling emerald eyes gaze upon my immodesty for what feels like forever.

"Er... should I disrobe as well?"

"Bwuh-" I damn near choke. "W- why would you-"

"Because you did?" Yahanaseara asks without even a hint of insincerity. "I admit that I am surprised that customs regarding exposing one's undergarments would have changed so much over my imprisonment, but it also does not quite feel right for me to be the only one who is fully clothed at the moment..."

Oh my God she thinks that this is just some weird cultural difference.

"No, wait- uh-"

Deep breaths, Brigitte. This is an honest misunderstanding.

"...I just got carried away and did what I would've done if I was by myself," I sigh.

Why am I like this.

"Sorry for putting you off like that, I really didn't mean to-"

"N- no, not at all!" Yahanaseara cuts me off. "It is actually a relief to know that you feel this comfortable around me!"

Huh? Why the hell does she seem even more nervous than I am right now? I mean, I'm the one wearing nothing but a camisole and panties...

...shit, this is just like that one group mission I accepted a few months back.

The client had us come to her mansion to hear the details of the job, and then when we got there she debriefed us while casually lounging around in an robe that was only half-covering the sexy lingerie she was wearing underneath.

That shit was a clear power move to make everyone there uncomfortable, and I'm no better if I just sit here and do the same to Yahanaseara like some kind of exhibitionist.

"...yeah, my comfort isn't what matters here."

Not to mention that I just may pass out from embarrassment if this keeps up.

As such, I slide off the bed and make my way over to the pile of dirty laundry, toss the contents of my pockets as well as the empty Clothes Bag#5 onto the bed, fill it with said laundry and swap that for Nighttime Bag #4.

"Sorry for being stupid," I mumble while positioning the great big bag of clean laundry to cover my shame.

"N- no, you are anything but stupid-" Yahanaseara chokes on her words. "I was just confused, that is all!"

A painfully awkward silence.

"...anyways, there is no need to limit your behavior due to my presence," she says, shaking her head. "If you prefer to relax in your undergarments then please continue to do so."

Her nervousness is clearly fading, but mine sure as hell isn't.

"Besides, we are both females. It is not as if you have anything that I do not."

...well I mean I can think of two thi-

slap

"Brigitte!!?"

"Sorry, errant thought," I say while ignoring my stinging cheek.

Still though, she does have a point. I mean, what the hell reason even is there to be so embarrassed? It doesn't seem like I offended her, and we ARE both girls so it's not like it's a big deal for her to see me in my underwear in the first place. It'd be a different story entirely if I was wearing something sketchy or raggedy... but like she said, these ones are actually cute and simple and not objectionable in any way.

Not to mention that our servants used to outright DRESS me and I've even used public baths(under duress) before so it's not like I'm at all unused to being seen...

...so in other words, I'm just being a dumbass.

"Yup, I'm a dumbass," I say, finally lowering the sack of clothing that I was pointlessly covering myself with. "We're both girls, so who cares."

I just need to keep telling myself that until I actually do stop caring. Fake it until I make it.

"Anyways, I'mma go take a bath now."

Hefting Nighttime Bag #4 under one arm, I use my free hand to point to a small metal panel on the wall that frames a raised black square button.

"If you get hungry, pick something out from the menus I got from the girl downstairs and then push this to call room service," I say. "Someone'll come to the door to take your order."

"Thank you, I shall do just that."

Yahanaseara immediately starts flipping through a menu without any hesitation whatsoever.

"What about you?" she asks. "It seems like a waste to call them twice..."

"Meh, I'll pass on dinner," I shake my head.

"............"

Oh man, I know that look.

"Brigitte, it is not good to skip meals," the Elemental Spirit blurts out in a tone that is WAY too similar to my mother's. "You are already skinny enough as it is."

"Hey, it's not that big a deal..."

With a pouty frown that's still somehow cute, she stomps towards me and reaches out to the edge of my camisole AND LIFTS IT UP WHAT THE FUCK

"'No big deal?' Your ribcage is visible!"

Yes she only pulled it up just enough to prove her point but still I thought my heart was going to fucking stop God damn it and now she's staring me right in the eyes

"It's fine," I mumble, stepping out of her grip. "I'm just naturally skinny."

"Then that is all the more reason why you should-"

"And killing all those guys earlier today kinda killed my appetite too."

"......oh."

In an instant, her expression of concern turns into one of guilt.

"Sorry, I did not take that into account..." she mutters. "I was simply concerned for your health, and..."

And now I feel like an asshole.

"Just get me a plate of broccoli or whatever," I sigh. "I might not have much of an appetite, but you are right that I should probably eat something."

And then I duck into the bathroom before things can get any more awkward.

...

......

.........

While I feel zero guilt whatsoever for killing all those bandits today, this fact somehow makes me feel really fucking filthy.

As such, I take a long, hot shower. With heat just under the point of scalding, and pressure that feels like a waterfall bearing down on me. It's perfect for washing off the sweat and grime from the day, as well as the aforementioned feeling of filthiness.

Once I'm satisfactorily squeaky-clean, I fill up the bathtub with similarly-obscenely hot water and indulge in a nice, long soak.

"Haaaaaa~..."

A quiet, steam-filled bathroom.

A blurry field of vision, obscured by the removal of my glasses.

The not-quite-painful heat of the water I'm presently submerged in.

All of them come together to provide the perfect environment for me to get lost in my thoughts.

...even more lost in my thoughts than I usually am, I mean.

And It's no surprise at all that a certain mocha-colored lightning girl floats to the surface of said thoughts.

The fact that she's too damned pretty for her own good, and I have to actively keep from staring at her at times.

The way she switches from teasing to nervous to embarrassed to concerned to guilty and back with all the speed of the lightning that she's literally made of.

And the fact that all the weirdness and internal panic she causes me, even with this most recent thing about my terrible eating habits, is something that

I actually

kind of

enjoy

"Bbbbbbblbblblblllblblblll"

I sink my face under the water's surface and empty my lungs in hopes of distracting myself into making that last thought go away.

It doesn't work.

15