[Chapter two] An unexpected encounter
732 3 43
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I've been told that most people, when startled or frightened or hurt, tend to make at least some sort of exclamation.

Not me, though.  My first impulse when things like that happen is to go completely silent.

And this is most definitely one of those times.

Because seriously, what the hell was that? A boobytrap? Not a single sign of danger on the entire way here, nothing in the tomb itself, but then the CORPSE is boobytrapped!? Who the hell even does that!?

A single tap and the damned thing exploded and sent me slamming back-first into the wall and now my ears are ringing and my eyes still hurt even though they're slammed shut and my lungs feel like-

"!!!"

Oh crap, I clammed up so hard that I actually stopped breathing. That's bad. Very bad.

So let's do that first. Deep breaths. In and out. Try and slow down my racing heart some before I end up fainting.

Okay. Good. I'm good.

Breathing is calm, now to open my eyes-

OH GOD WHAT

Lightning storm. There is a freaking LIGHTNING STORM DIRECTLY ABOVE MY HEAD WHAT AM I DOING SITTING HERE

My heart starts racing all over again as I desperately roll to the side and then scramble to my feet and race towards the wall where I left my staff because I really really really do not want to get electrocuted.

Despite this bizarrely terrifying situation I'm in, just getting my hands around this thing sends a wave of relief washing over me.

Crafted from the finest ebony, which my father personally enchanted to be tougher than the hardest steel. Its entire length hand-carved by him with the Script for several offensive and defensive spells specifically for emergencies like this one. Tipped with an artistic design that's also good for hitting things with, which itself boasts a crystal core sourced from one of his closest friends at its center that naturally draws in and stores ambient magical energy just in case I might need it.

His greatest solo creation, created solely for the sake of his greatest collaborative effort- me.

While I could've died of embarrassment when he first told me that, right now I'm really incredibly super grateful for this thing. Because even without knowing the incantation for any lightning-blocking spells, with it I'm able to cast them just as easily as the greatest mages.

Once I can remember which... oh yeah. The End of Storm.

"...eh?"

Right as I'm about to say the spell name aloud, the lightning storm above the coffin suddenly decreases in intensity.

"Did I just need to wait it out?" I mumble to myself while watching as it slowly lowers...

...and moves from the coffin and towards the lectern...

...and then towards me-

"THE END-" I blurt out, not one to be taken unawares a second time. "OF STO-"

But then I stop just short of speaking the full invocation phrase. Because the lightning just up and vanishes.

"Wha?"

Still wary of any more sudden traps, I clutch my staff in both hands and point it towards where the raging storm of electricity once was.

A couple of sparks flicker in and out of existence.

Then a couple more.

I take several steps back when they increase in intensity and frequency to the point where it's like a thousand firecrackers are going off in front of me at once, but then those suddenly vanish too.

And in their place, floating in the air, is a solid figure.

Thin arms which taper off into four-fingered hands that end in pointed, metallic claws.

Thin legs which narrow as they go down, ending in simple points rather than feet.

A slender center body that more resembles an abstract statue than an actual living thing.

A head adorned with two large pupilless eyes that shine like jewels, flickering lightning for "hair," and a pair of sharp horns that sit atop it all like a crown.

"Beautiful..."

That's the only way I can describe what I'm seeing right now. Beautiful. Like the starry night sky.

It isn't until it starts moving that I'm finally shaken out of my reverie.

"Uh-"

Clutching my staff against my chest, I stumble back.

"H... hello?" I whimper.

<hello>

Rather than coming directly from its body, it's like those words are echoing from the air around itself in a voice that crackles like lightning.

"N- nice to meet you?" I crack a nervous smile in a pointless attempt to mask my fear.

Because this thing right here? It's an Elemental Spirit. An Elemental Spirit of Lightning.

Even if I was to cast The End of Storm, there's no way that my meager human reserves would be enough to stop anything that it might want to do to me.

So my only option is to play nice and try not to offend it.

<were you the one who released me?> it asks.

"Released?" I repeat, unsure what it means.

<I was trapped> it says.

<all alone>

<for so so so long>

Wait a minute...

<unable to move>

<unable to escape>

<growing ever weaker>

"H- hold up-" I blurt out. "You mean you were inside that ball?"

<ball?>

"Y- yeah," I nod. "I opened up that coffin and the corpse inside was holding a little black ball made of some weird substance that I don't recognize-"

I point over to the altar.

"It was right over there."

The Elemental Spirit turns in the direction that I'm pointing at, then raises its head upwards.

<HIM!>

Its voice rages with hate-filled thunder.

<IT WAS HIM!  HE DID THIS TO ME!>

Pointing to the tapestry that depicts the coffin's occupant, it sends a bolt of lightning that instantly vaporizes the ancient relic.

<THAT BASTARD THAT BASTARD THATBASTARD THATBASTARDTHATBASTARD THATBASTARDACCURSEDWRETCHEDFILTHYHATEFULABOMINATION>

Its voice rapidly accelerates into a high-pitched hum, all the while spewing a massive amount lightning that torches every single thing in this tomb that I put so much effort into finding.

<...bastard...>

It isn't until it's all reduced to ash that the Elemental Spirit finally seems to calm down.

<I was trapped for so long> the crackles in its "voice" begin to resemble sobs. <grew so weak>

It looks down at its own hands.

<a little longer and I would not have had enough energy left to even maintain my soul> it says in a soft murmur.

And then it finally turns to me.

<you>

"Me?" I choke out.

<you are the one who freed me?>

"I- I guess?" I say, trying to seem as nonthreatening as possible.

<what is your relation to THAT?>

It sends another bolt of lightning at the burning remnants of my archaeological discovery.

"Uh-" I stammer. "None?"

<then what are you doing in this place?> it asks. <and how did you know to free me?>

"Well..."

An explanation of my recent efforts ensues, abbreviated as much as possible for the sake of annoying my new friend here as little as possible.

<...so you are not one of that bastard's people> it says, seemingly more in confirmation to itself than a question directed at me. <or a descendant of my people>

"Sorry, but no," I shake my head vigorously. "I'm just a curious magical researcher-slash-adventurer."

<I see> it says with a crackling sigh. <but even so>

It floats towards me, lifts up an arm...

"!?"

...and presses it against my face!?

<you are my savior> it says, its tone softening up considerably. <and for that, you have my sincerest gratitude>

"N- no," I say, my entire body rigid because this thing is still scary as hell AND NOW IT'S TOUCHING MY FACE. "I'm happy that you're free and all, but this was just a coincidence..."

<the circumstances mean nothing> it replies, finally removing its hand. <you are my savior and words cannot convey the immensity of the debt of honor which I owe you>

"R- really," I shake my head so hard that my glasses nearly fly from my face, "you don't owe me anything!"

<your humility is truly respectable> it says, <but I am not one to ignore a debt of such magnitude>

The Elemental Spirit floats a couple of paces back before the same flickering sparks from before rapidly spread across its entire body. And then vanish just as quickly.

"!!!"

Thin, brown arms which taper off into delicate hands and silver-painted fingernails.

Toned, muscular legs which, instead of shoes, are clad in some kind of leg/foot coverings that expose the heels and toes.

A slender body with just the barest hint of a chest and the same athletic build of some of the younger adventurer girls I've encountered in my travels.

A face that looks a few years younger than mine, with two large green eyes that shine like jewels, long, messy white hair that almost resembles lightning, and adorned with a horned hair ornament that sits atop it all like a crown.

"Beautiful..." I blurt out without thinking.

Because that's the only way I can describe what I'm seeing right now.

Beautiful.

Like a finely-crafted doll.

"I appreciate that you find both of my forms aesthetically pleasing," the girl replies.

Wait. The GIRL!? And she heard me the first time too!?

"Uh-" my back straightens up. "I didn't mean to offend-"

"Why would I take offense from a sincere compliment?" she replies with a dazzling smile.

Wow she's pretty. Are all Elemental Spirits this pretty in human form? I mean the only other one I've met is more "adorable" than anything, but I'm sure that if she aged up-

"Anyways..." holding her hand to her chest. "...my savior, please allow me to properly introduce myself."

She then gives a deep bow.

"My name is Yahanaseara," she says, "and I was once revered far and wide as the Flower of the Heavens."

Yahanaseara... that name sounds kind of familiar. And she even has her own title?

Dammit why isn't my brain working right now...

"Let me say once again in this form," it... she says as she takes my hand in hers. "thank you so much for freeing me from that bastard's confinement."

"I'm just happy that you're happy," I reply, unsure what else to say.

"While I am fully aware that it is not possible for me to truly repay you for your actions," she lowers her head, "please allow me to do you the honor of bearing your child."

What.

I slip my hand from hers and leap back as far as my legs can take me.

"What." I stammer, just in case I didn't say it out loud the first time. "Hold up."

"Savior?" Yahanaseara hits me with a confused gaze. "Did I offend you?"

D- did she just proposition me!?

"Y- you said you wanted to b-"

Aaaaagh my face is burning up so hard right noooow

"To bear your child, yes," she nods. "D- did you not intend to have children, perhaps?"

I mean I do love babies and all but I never actually considered settling down and getting married and besides I still have a lot I wanted to do before getting tied down-

Wait, what the hell am I even thinking!?

"Th- that isn't the problem here!!" I stammer.

"Eh?" Yahanaseara tilts her head to the side. "Then what is the problem?"

"I'M A GIRL TOO!"

43