Twisted Reflections (1)
8 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Oh, Young Missus you do not know how glad I am to see, ye!" Miss Pedigree, the senior maid, was a woman of Rubenesque figure with rounded cherry-colored features and a mouth endowed with the gift of gab unlike any other.

She hovered around Erin, blubbering with boisterousness and noise. "Had it been so long since I've the pleasure of simply hearing yer voice?" Swallowing on a dry tongue, sweat traveled the length of her brow.

"Has it? I remember yours." Erin sat cross-legged in her seat, skimming the area; a mass of servants had taken to cleaning up the mess littered outside from Reynold's room.

Entertained by the show, she requested a small patio table and chair, so she could seat herself on the periphery of the mess she caused: scattered around haphazardly were clothes, shoes, various wooden debris, books, and unrecognizable objects peeking out from bushes and hedges.

"Yes! Slight it be that yew was away! Now that ye are here all I can have is joy! I've missed yew so awfully so!” Miss Pedigree swallowed, wide-eyed, jerky limbed, and flapping like a sodden fish.

"Hmm? Missed me?" she purred, barely hiding her disinterested disbelief. "Really?"

"Well." For a moment, hesitation stalled Miss Pedigree’s tongue. But when Erin turned a critical side-eye her way, she quickly sputtered out words. "A-Aye, I did so!"

“Really?” Erin watched her, enjoying seeing the woman squirm.

A draft of cool air tickled the beads of sweat along Miss Pedigree’s flushed forehead. In Erin’s presence, she was turning into a puddle of unease. “Yew know I would not lie to yew! We all missed yew! No one wanted yew to leave, especially not---.”

“---Pass me that book.” Erin interrupted, pointing to the same diary she remembered throwing out the window. It was now seated near a rose bush.

Miss Pedigree exhaled, fabricating a smile. “Book?”

“Book.” She shook her pointed finger. “Now.”

The demand shook Miss Pedigree into action. She quickly picked up the leather book and hurried back to Erin.

“Anyways, as I was saying, Young Miss---.”

Erin snatched the book, and Miss Pedigree had to flinch before continuing. “Everyone quite missed yew. No one wanted yew to go away so far. Which speaking of that, how was yer stay at the Proper Lady's Recreational Dormitory? Lady Sutherton mentioned that yew was having quite a blast!"

"Hah!" she scoffed, making Miss Pedigree jump in surprise. "Oh, Miss Pedigree,” she said, lightly exhaling, her focus on the diary’s pages. "Such humor exists in the world!" Critical laughter sprung from her chest.

A baffled look overcame Miss Pedigree's face. She was unsure why there was laughter, but she had no intention of not laughing with her. Wiping a bead of sweat away, the pitch of her throaty voice raised as she quickly joined the laughter.

"It sure does, Young Missus!" She clasped her plump fingers, anxiously laughing and cackling.

"Goodness...." Erin's laughter suddenly shrunk just as it started, and instantly Miss Pedigree followed suit.

" 'Recreational' 'Had a blast', my, what funny things to say," Erin said, dabbing at the corner of her eyes with her free hand.

"Yes, yes." Miss Pedigree eagerly nodded back.

Erin shook her head with a smile. "Funny." She flipped through more pages of the diary, reading with the bobbing of her crossed legs.

"Y'know, Young Missus, yew really are looking quite well. Did yew perhaps thin up some more while yew was away---.”

“Drink.” She interrupted again, not bothering to look up. “Now.”

“Oh, yes.” Miss Pedigree quickly picked up the glass from the patio table and filled it from the water pitcher.

Wordlessly, she accepted the drink, and like a cat lapping cautiously at the water, she took light sips of the cool refreshment.

“But, as I saw saying, yew look so well! Of course, that's not to suggest that yew didn’t already look well! Ye are, after all, a comely, fine specimen of a young lady! No other lady has the same…. nature about them!"

Quietly, Erin let her continue as she sipped and read.

"That is why I can’t emphasize enough that it’s a delight to be graced by yer presence! When yew was away everyone worried thinking the worst. Y’know someone had the nerve to suggest that the Sutherton ill was upon yew and that Sabina's plague of the mind had taken yew too! They started whispering, 'The bedlam burden of the Sutherton blood' and that ‘the wells of luck for the Suthertons are dry’. Awful comments they were! But worry not, I shut those liars up!" She actively gestured as poured out another flood of words.

"I told them; would you spit on your mother’s grave? No, you would not! So do not spit on the Sutherton name. I said to them, pray for them as I prayed for you. Every single day, I made the trip to visit Sainted Sister Lydia, because the very thought of yew injured? Oh, it hurt.” She dabbed at dry eyes. “But, now yew are well and sprightly, and…eager to make your place back home.” She made a pressed lip smile. “Which is exactly why---.”

"---Pedigree," Erin said, harshly cutting her off. "Shh." She tapped her lips with a shushing gesture.

Miss Pedigree grew silent, watching in apprehension as Erin chucked the rest of her water to the ground, and smacked her reading book on the table.

“Young Missus?”

Erin stood up slowly, growing imposing in height to Miss Pedigree.

“I’m bored. I’m heading back inside.” She waited for no reply.

"B-but wait, Young Miss!" She scurried behind Erin who was strutting back to the main house. "Lady Sutherton requested that I make sure yer alright! Certainly, there's something I can do to help yew to settle yer things in and---."

"---I'm already settled in. Why would you think I'm not?" She picked up her pace.

"Well, that’s because, well?" She gulped. "Perhaps, yew should let me accompany you so that I might assist yew---."

"No, thank you." She was moving so fast; they had already entered the manor. The mild heat of the day contrasted with the cool, moderate temperature of the manor's interior.

"Then perhaps you would like me to---."

"---Wynona?" she interrupted, in a low purring voice.

“Young Missus?” she responded, struggling to keep up pace with her.

"Considering all the years and our history together, you must be aware I like you more than most, 'yea'?" She mimicked her accent derisively.

Startled, Miss Pedigree gaped. She was taken aback by the possible friendly sentiment. "Yew like me more than most?” She repeated Erin’s words, her shock turning to soft mush. “Oh, Young Miss I've always felt that deep down inside, very deep down, that yew do have love in yer heart---." Before she could manage another sound or grow a hopeful smile she was cut off.

"---But I would like not to hear you open your mouth again," she said, intentionally mean-spirited.

As if constricted by the demand, Miss Pedigree fell quiet, finally defeated.

Erin walked to a familiar door before. With her hands hovering over the handles, she paused to smile coldly at Miss Pedigree. "Now, be good and dismiss yourself, Miss Pedigree." She waved in a patronizing manner and turned her backside to the frowning woman.

"...But Young Miss," she feebly whispered. "Lady Sutherton said---."

"Miss Pedigree,” she softly purred again.

Instantly, Miss Pedigree folded her lips and tied her tongue.

"Thank you, dearly, Wynona." She batted her eyes. “And, oh, do relax. I understand my mother, that quick-footed woman," she spat, disdain on her tongue. “May have passed some words with you about keeping your eye on me, but do not worry. I will not do any bad. The day is young and tender, and I would be awful to continue trouble, wouldn't I?"

“Of course, I know yew don’t wish to do any bad Young Miss! But it’s just Lady Sutherton said---.”

Click.

Churn.

SLAM!

Before she could finish, Erin turned her back and went into the room. She slammed the doors shut, leaving a worried Miss Pedigree behind, to enter a setting she had been away from for too long.

The familial quarters.

3