Sickened to the core
10 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lord Sutherton’s study was normally a quiet place.

That was how both Suthertons preferred every room in their home. Quiet. Peaceful. Still.

On those calm days, Lady Sutherton would tend to her drinking wine and reading, and Lord Sutherton to his work.

And that was the established order, before.

"Absurd! That is absurd!" Laughter excitedly spiraled out and bounced off the walls. "How can I have words for that?" Lady Sutherton placed her hand over her mouth, trying to contain the surge of laughter that flew out from her.

"Well, if that's mad," Ezra said, pausing, defensively holding up his hands. "I'm not sure if I should continue." He flashed the pearls of his teeth, a mischievous shimmer in his eyes.

She laughed harder; the happiness as contagious as her smile. "You are not going to tell me it gets worse."

His smile dissipated. Pausing, he looked down at the ground and adjusted the pristine white gloves on his hands.

There was a lingering moment of pause that gravitated the engrossed Lady Sutherton and the stark and grim Lord Sutherton.

"No, it wasn’t worse." Ezra glanced up at an eager audience. "It was horrendous."

“It was horrendous?” She floated into a fit of penetrating laughter. "That's the same thing!" She smiled brightly, getting a glimpse of the window where the sun was sinking.

It was already almost evening and the blue sky was sinking into a yellow blaze of fire on the horizon that painted the soft blue into gradients of tangerine oranges and yellows. The day was going by. But neither Lady nor Lord Sutherton seemed to take notice of that in the presence of the young man who spoke music to their ears.

"I know, I know.” He chuckled. “But yes, the circumstances were really a bit of a roll in the hills."

"A roll in the hills, you say?” She giggled with a snort. “I'm beginning to believe you were lucky to have made it one piece."

"Well?" He drew his eyes into memory, casually continuing. "I suppose that's why near-death experiences are an experience."

She could barely contain herself as her eyes grew to saucers. "This plot just thickens. Do I even dare to question what happened next?"

He cast his eyes to the side. "In all honesty, I can't say you should." Smiling, he crossed his legs and reached for his teacup seated on the table, and sipped leisurely.

The instant he set his cup down, Lady Sutherton would swiftly wave her wrist, motioning for a standby maid for a refill.

"Those words terrify me in inexplicable ways," she emphatically gushed with more laughter. "I mean, to think if such a thing happened to me, I would not be able to keep my head as you did."

"That’s because, before that, she'd throw an anxious fit." Lord Sutherton craftily added with a sip of his tea.

She cast a glance at her husband. For a moment she contemplated before releasing her reply with caution. "Yes, I probably would have, but where would you have been? Fleeing like a boy? Sebastian was the brash and brave one, not you."

Lord Sutherton froze, his iron grimace piercing into her.

"Or? Hear me out, maybe not either." Ezra interrupted their raw stares. "The way I imagine it, if you, Lady Anya or Lord Davyid, as much uttered your names, anyone in their right mind wouldn't so much as attempt to try anything."

Lord Sutherton straightened his spine and settled his sight on Ezra.

Lady Sutherton leaned back into her seat. Likewise, her eyes landed on the same person.

The flattery of his words pulled laughter out from Lady Sutherton and tugged at the corners of Lord Sutherton's lips.

"Mister Ezra, if I didn't know any better, I would say you're sweet-talking us.” Lady Sutherton oozed.

"Have I exposed myself so soon?" He digested Lady Sutherton's smile and Lord Sutherton's unmoved whisper of intrigue.

"I think it's apparent so," Lady Sutherton said, laughing.

Ezra playfully sighed. "Well, if it can't be helped, then I have no option but to bare it all.” He leaned towards them, speaking earnest and tender. “Being here in both of your presences is an overwhelming honor and a virtually unrivaled experience. You'll have to arrest me for criminal flattery because I refuse to deny myself from expressing my thanks. Here you are considering me for this position? This opportunity?" A Cheshire smile slithered onto his lips, his delivery the consistency of honey. "I can't express my gratitude enough."

"Mister Ezra." The words struck a soft place in Lady Sutherton’s chest.

"Ezra." He countered. "You give me undeserved respect."

She widened her eyes. "Undeserved respect? No, not at all! I find joy in that simple cordiality. Besides, you know if I say your name so informally it would suggest that we're fairly acquainted."

"Forgive me when I say that I adore that possibility,” he smoothly added.

Automatically her smile grew. "Well Ezra, I cannot speak for my husband. But?" She briefly glanced at her stern-faced husband. "It has been wonderful talking to you and there's no sweeter encounter alike. I'd like to say it clearly, you are more than considered for this position."

"So, starting tomorrow sounds possible?"

She rolled into laughter. "Eager, Ezra?"

"No, excited." He gestured with a shake of his wrist.

"Well, we still have to do a general cross-referencing into your background and so forth, but?" Her eyes traveled to her husband, who returned her gaze. "I think it's safe to say considering the circumstances---."

"---Hire and work without delay is our focus at the moment," Lord Sutherton furthered, his voice lacking his wife's glee.

"Of course, I understand the formal process is essential." Ezra nodded.

“Correct.” She reached for her glass cup stationed on the table. “But, for you?” She lowered her voice. “We can allow a few corners to be cut.”

He sweetly chuckled. “That’s dangerous Lord and Lady Sutherton.”

“Well, Daviyd the one who likes to gamble,” she said, careless and lighthearted. She lifted her glass ready to swallow fresh wine.

Before she could even near the cup to her lips, Lord Sutherton snatched the glass from her and sat it on the farthest end of the table from her.

She turned to stare at her husband, but he directed his attention to Ezra.

“Mister Ezra,” Lord Sutherton said. “I do find it pleasant that you are eager. But, there are few matters we must discuss if I am to ascertain your dedication.”

“Ah, yes.” Ezra nodded. “I believe you did mention something earlier about your daughter, Lady Erina, wasn't it?"

"Ugh." Lady Sutherton cringed. She thought she was quiet both she received brief glances from both men.

Nervous, she forced a smile, her voice stumbling. "Sorry, I was clearing my throat.” She rubbed her chest. “But, yes, Mister Ezra. Good, you’ve brought that up,” she confirmed with a wobbly nod of her head.

"That?" Ezra raised his brows.

"Yes." Her voice was shrinking as she muttered hesitantly. "Erin, of course. My daughter. Now is a good time to talk about it." She swiped a hesitant glance at her husband, before pulling her gaze to turn a tight taut smile at Ezra. "So, about Erina, um, we-we talked a bit about it, but not enough."

"Right."

"There is something you need to know about my daughter, and that is…?" She paused as if her tongue hit a bump in the road. Her eyes rolled down towards her lap and she tugged loose strands of hair behind her ear.

"Yes?"

"Well?” she said, smacking her lips. “We have had some trouble with the service workers and her."

"Trouble?"

She licked at dry lips. "Did I say 'trouble'? Maybe I shouldn't use that exact wording and rhetoric."

"No?"

"Well-Well." She anxiously pushed out a chuckle. "Trouble, that wording? It insinuates a lot of things." She stopped, impatiently clearing her throat. "We have had no trouble with the handmaids and butlers in the past."

"No?" Ezra questioned, puzzled at the contradiction.

She pressed her lips together, almost unwilling to speak. "Yes…no?" The words came as a muffled, uncertain mutter.

"Are you saying yes, or no?"

"No," she choppily added through laughs, eagerly shaking her head. "No. I’m-I’m-I’m saying no. The way I like to explain it is um, some employees have had a grueling experience, that's all."

"Grueling experience?" He tilted his head.

"Yes?" she replied in a questioning manner.

"Yes?" He parroted back with the same amount of confusion as her.

"Well-well, yes. Some have had just a little difficulty adjusting---.” Lord Sutherton interrupted her before she could stutter out any more words.

"---Mister Ezra, when we mentioned my daughter could be a challenge, we were referring to her behavior. She likes to test that our service workers are capable and fit to the Sutherton Household."

"Yes, that's about the right way to say it," Lady Sutherton said, nodding in agreement. "We don't want to throw you off when you find that Erin…ensures that our workers are competent."

"If you are qualified, it is not something that would bother you, Mister Ezra," Lord Sutherton said, peering at him. "Do you have any reservations regarding this?"

"I suppose I can not,” Ezra said. “But I may ask, what exactly do you mean by her ‘behavior’ ?”

"Well." Lady Sutherton winced, her lips forming a tight line. "Erina is a...." She hesitated, searching for words. "A, uh, a rare breed with a big personality."

"A rare breed? Big personality?" Ezra blinked.

Bang!

The doors swerved open and a sudden gust of wind forced its way inside; the bang announcing the disturbance that stepped in; Heavily narrowed eyes scanned the room, a firm line on her lips and a haughty upturn to her raised chin as she crept inside.

"Father," Erin said with disdain, the room temperature dropping as she approached them. "Mother." Her voice struck without affection or joy.

Both Suthertons took one glance at her, watching her as if she were an oncoming disease.

3