Eyes in the Walls (1)
7 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cling!

Clatter!

For a small cubicle room, the servant’s back kitchen was full of noise and commotion. It was a room not as loud and active as the main kitchen on the other side of the manor.

Rather, the back kitchen was humble room with only a few washing sinks, a couple of countertops, and a few stoves and kettles. It was a damp, dim, and dank room, without windows and with only a chimney for ventilation. It was meant to be a room where the food carts and other kitchen items could pass in order of main kitchen, back kitchen, and finally to the tables of the dinning hall.

The only time it received such hustle and movement was when the Suthertons would had guests over or decided to eat together in the dining hall like they were doing currently. But the eating together happened so few and far in between that most of the kitchen staff was shocked, and slightly underprepared.

“When you went out there did Lady Erina complain about the texture of her vegetables? What was it this time? Too coarse? Or too soggy? Or too…upsetting?” Stacking empty plates on the dish counter, one of the maids asked her coworkers.

“No, I don’t think so.” The other maid, replied with a shrug. “Lady Tyrant wasn’t really eating. Just picking at the food like normal.” She hopped onto the countertop by the sink and firmly placed her bottom down. “Y’know, it’s so weird seeing her after all this time. I swear she’s gotten smaller and thinner. You think maybe they were feeding her sardines and air at that Marigold’s retreat?” She plucked an apple from the counter, observing it. “Honestly, I hope they did.”

Samira.” Glaring, a maid cleaning dishes in the sink next to her sighed.

“What? I’m just sayin, she could use a taste of her own medcine.” She bobbed her feet, taking a chunk out of the apple.

Medicine, Sami.” The dish maid corrected.

“Don’t correct me, Miss never-read-a-book,” Samira said, nudging with her elbow. “Besides, Cecily laughed.” She pointed to other maid who was still stacking dishes.

“I laughed cause your mouth is dangerous, Samira.” Cecily replied, shaking her head. She lifted up her stack of dishes and packed them into a tiny food cart. “Naeun, you’d outta keep an eye on that one,” she said, glancing over to the other maid who was still scrubbing dishes.

“Oh, don’t worry, big mouth is only big mouth with us. She doesn’t play with the wolves,” Naeun said, flicking soapy water on Samira.

“Hey!” A splash of water hit her cheek. “Yer gonna get soap in my eyes!” She moved around trying to cover her face from the assaults.

“You two play too much,” Cecily laughed, shaking her head. “But I really do thank you two for volunteering to help. The kitchen staff was really unprepared this time around. When they heard Lady Erina was back, some of the staff just turned belly up and quit. I guess the rumors are getting around pretty far in our circles.”

“Yeah, I guess they are, and it’s okay, we’re glad to help.” Naeun stopped messing around with Samira, and turned her attention back to Cecily.

“Thanks. I’ll be back in a few. I’m going to take these extra plates back to the east wing kitchen.”

“Okay.” Naeun nodded to Cecily as she left.

“Geez.” Samira rubbed her eyes. “You’re so aggressive.” She shoved Naeun hard in the shoulder, nearly knocking the girl over.

“Uh huh, and I bite.” She chomped her teeth with a smirk, and her friend laughed in response.

With a light laughing sigh, Naeun adjusted her feet and focusing back on cleaning. “So?”

“So, what?” Samira dangled her feet around and took another chunk of the apple.

Naeun glanced at her from the cut of her eye. “You’ve been smiling and bouncing around since you came in from the dinning hall. What is it?”

“Well….” Samira pressed her lips together, resisting a big smile. “He looked at me,” she oozed, raising the pitch of her voice.

“The new guy?”

“Mister Ezra,” she replied, dreamingly.

“Right, and he glanced at you?”

“Yeah.” Her grin beamed as she swayed back in forth. “I think I have chance with him, y’know?” She brushed loose hair behind her ear.

“You do?” Naeun peered at her with a dead stare.

“Come on, Nae, I’m good about these sorts of things with men. I can charm anyone I set my mind to.” She raised her posture, and pumped out her chest.

“Charm them, or scar them?”

Nae!

Sam.”

Samira sighed looking away from her. “You don’t get things! There’s something about him. He’s different.” She stared off into the distance.

“You said the same thing about Jonathan, Colt, Benjamin, and oh yes, Castian. Different, they’re all so different.” Naeun rolled her eyes. “Heaven, Sam, they’re all men. I don’t know what makes the difference from one man to another. They’ll all cheat you out of your money, freedom, and rights.”

Samira wistfully gave her friend a pout. “This is why you’ll never find any love my dear friend.” She patted Naeun on the head.

Naeun rolled her eyes again. “Uh huh.”

“Y’know you should take some notes from me. It’s not like you have a plain Jane face. You’re sweet on the eyes too, Nae. Just like me.” She patted her on the cheeks. “If I were a man, I would take you.”

Naeun scrubbed the dishes harder; the sound of water spelches growing louder. “You don’t have to be a man.”

“What? I didn’t hear you, the water noises distracted me,” Samira said, chewing on another bite of the apple.

“Nothing,” she mumbled, setting a clean dish on the counter. “Anyways, can you do something for me?”

“No.” She had a mouthful of apple in her mouth as she chewed loudly. “I’m joking.” She felt her friend’s side glare. “What?”

“Can you get your arse off the counter and help me with these dishes? I would like to get out of here before the sun sets.”

In response, Samira jumped down and went to go sit on the counter opposing Naeun. “So? I was thinking for Mister Ezra’s welcome party, we could cut some paper decorations out. But oh, you know we have to work quick before anything happens,” she said, quickly shifting the topic.

Naeun groaned, shaking her head. “I really don’t get why Miss Pedigree still has us throwing those welcome parties. It’s a waste of time and resources when people are gone in the next few days.”

“Not Mister Ezra!” Samira frowned.

“You wanna bet?” She peaked at her from the corner of her eyes. “I say 3 days.”

Samira puckered her lips, pausing to think. “At least a week, Nae.”

“Okay. Then 4 days,” she countered.

“Naeun,” Samira pressed.

“5 days.”

“…No, at least 6.”

“Sami,” she sang, sending her a knowing stare.

“Fine.” Samira conceded with a sigh. “It’s 5 unless something happens in the impossible span of tonight---.”

BAM! THUD! THUD!

A sudden boom of loud noises made both of them flinch.

“What was that?” Samira lowered her voice, glancing to the dinning hall doors.

“I don’t know. I’m in here with you,” Naeun whispered, pulling her hands out from the sink.

THUD! BAM! BAM!

They both jumped as they heard the loud commotion growing louder. What started out at clatters and thuds was turning into screaming and shouts. And all of it appeared to be coming from the dinning hall. The same dinning hall where the Suthertons were once enjoying a family dinner with a guest.

“Nae, you think that was….” Samira stopped, unable to finish.

For a tight moment they stopped and stared at each other as the loud noises died down. But just as it died down, something else made their ears perk up.

Daviyd!” The both heard a faint shriek from Lady Sutherton.

The shout propelled both of the maids into action. Naeun dropped the dish cloth into the sink, pulled up her skirt and ran to the door. Samira was on her tail right behind her, the apple she was eating tossed to the floor.

They both ended stumbling and floundering to the dinning door, but Naeun had the lead, and the door was only sized for one body at a time.

Naeun hands landed on the door knob first, and all Samira could do was stagger into her back.

“Nae! I wanna see first!” Samira said, grabbing at Naeun’s arm.

“Sami, I clearly got here first!” Naeun fought back her friend’s grabbing and pulling.

“Let me peak my head through the door first! Come on, I heard the noise first!” she bickered, trying to reach the door handle.

“Only one head can fit through the door crack to peak. You know the rules.” Naeun elbowed her back and took a firm hold and block of the doors.

“That’s unfair!” Samira slightly retreated with a huff.

“Life isn’t fair, sweet thing.” Naeun smiled, and spun on her heels. With her back turned to her Samira, she quickly opened the door, cracking it open just enough for her to peak her head out.

“What? What do you see? What’s going on?” The moment the door open slightly, Samira was on Naeun’s back, nearly climbing on her to get a view. But the crack was too small and only Naeun could see the commotion going on in the hall.

“It’s Lord Sutherton and Lady Erina they’re---ouch.” She winced, watching a one-sided fighting match occur.

“What?” Samira bounced around, desperate to get a view. “He hit her?”

“No, he’s hitting her,” Naeun corrected, wedging her head tightly in the door gap.

“Backhand or fronthand?”

“Front.”

“Left hand or right hand?”

“Left.”

Oooh.” Samira shuddered as if she could see the vicious attack unfolding. “That’s his powerhand. He must be really mad.”

“Yeah. It’s not---.” She cringed watching one of his blows hit harder to Erin. “---not at all pretty.”

“I wanna see.” Samira tried to shove her. “Let me see.”

“No, no I’m still watching.” She shoved her back using her shoulder and elbow.

“But I wanna see!”

“He’s done.”

“What?” Samira moved her head from side to side trying to find an angle.

“He’s leaving.”

“What? Is Mister Ezra still in there?”

“Yeah.” Naeun squinted.

“Does he look he wants to leave after seeing this?”

“I don’t know, Sam.”

“Let me see. Let me see now, Nae!” She pulled and grabbed on her again.

“Hush!” Naeun hushed her. “I think Lady Sutherton is saying something to him.” Naeun squinted and perked up her ears to watch them interact:

"Mister Ezra." Lady Sutherton swallowed. "I'm so sorry you had to see such a display on your first day here." She shook her head, flushed with embarrassment.

"Don't apologize to me, it's none of my business to comment on," he said, sounding genuine, speaking, but that did little to comfort her.

"You've seen the worst of us tonight. How can you not think poorly of us after seeing that?" She rubbed circles on forehead.

"I am in no place to make any sort of those judgements," he emphasized. “My concern is whether you are alright. You appear a bit distressed.”

Her eyes went from him to the floors. "Y-yes, I’m fine, but thank you for being so understanding." She exhaled sharply. "I do appreciate it, because somedays I feel as if it’s becoming irrationally possible to keep everything appearing proper."

“I assure you those are just feelings.” The confidence in his words, gave her a twinge of hope.

Sighing again, she drew all her strength to construct a weak smile. "Silly how things ended up." She glanced around the empty dining hall before turning her torn gaze to him. "I had hoped to stay until tomorrow afternoon just to make sure Erin would behave and adjust back to being home, but I don't think that will be possible. I'm almost certain my husband will want to leave before the morning hits." She sighed again, rubbing her forehead.

"That's alright, I understand."

"I'm sorry, again Mister Ezra." A deep frown carved on her face, regret seeping through every word she spoke. "I know my daughter caused such a scene tonight, and I’m certain she won’t exactly be the best tomorrow.”

Sighing, she turned away from him and pulled something out her dress pocket. She paced over to the table, momentarily jotting somethings down before turning her attention back to him. “I'd like you to pass this to her for me." She exposed a white envelope and handed it to him.

"And this is?" He turned the envelope around, looking it over with a scanning eye.

"It's just a curt note I wrote for Erin. I thought to give it to her in person before I leave, but I don’t think given the circumstances that would be the best idea.”

"Understandable." He tucked the envelope between his arm. "I will be sure to give it to her. I’m sure she will be happy to know her mother has such compassion for her wellbeing."

“Compassion?” She covered her mouth, growing suddenly intensely emotional.

“Yes, Lady Anya, compassion and kindness is what you show me, and what you tried to show tonight.”

“You don’t think that.” She shook her head, fighting a bitter taste in her mouth. “No one thinks that.”

“I would not say it if I did not mean it.”

Water was welling in her eyes, as she shook her head again. “Please, you---.” She stopped, words getting caught in her throat. Damp eyes and trembling legs, she covered her face on verge of tears.

“Lady Anya, are you quite sure you are alright?” he asked, placing a hand on her shoulder.

“I am---.” She froze midsentence and shakily inhaled. “…I am fine.” Gaining composure, she moved her hands from her face. “I am fine,” she said again, rubbing the corner of her eyes. “Thank you, really, thank you. We’re really happy to have to you begin your work here tomorrow. You are exceptional at exceeding expectations.”

"Lady Anya, you’re far too generous." His eyes were glazed with tenderness.

"No, no, no." Glowing conviction swelled in her puffy eyes. "It’s not being generous, it’s the truth. You are different." She paused, a boulder in her throat, her eyes landed on him with unwavering resolve. "You are."

His dark eyes sharpened, and his soft smile shifted into ambiguity. "I am different?” he questioned, lowering his voice.

"Of course. I could recognize it the moment I met you."

"Recognize what?"

"That you're a good person," she firmly said.

His only response was to grow the light of his beaming smile.

"You're a good person," she continued. "I'd know, I used to know someone who...," Her eyes landed on the floor. She didn't finish her thought before she brushed over to another one. "A-anyway." She looked at him. "The point is, you have well surpassed my expectations, and I believe to some extent my husband's as well."

He listened to her with only a soft smile.

"Davyid is---well he's not exactly the easiest to understand. Sometimes he says and does things that can be misunderstood. But he's not always like that, or perhaps I should say he wasn't always like that." Pain wedged into her contemplative stare. "Point is, I think Davyid is still very impressed by you," she hurriedly added. "It's just, he's still under the impression that even you won't last long, and as he always says, even the most skillful aren't always the most suited to the job." She looked away briefly before meeting his eyes again. "But, despite him, I have faith in you.”

“Faith?”

“Yes, faith, trust." She sharply stopped once more, swiping her eyes past his. "I know that is a bold statement to say considering there's only so much I know about you."

"It's alright, I understand what you're saying, almost all in a vein of fate." He smiled, the flicker of his outstretched wrist and finger drawing a brief line against a vein catching in her sight.

"All in a vein of fate?" The words made her falter. "Why did you say that? Who told you about that?" Panic was starting in her widening eyes.

"Is there something wrong?

"Why did you say that?”

He furrowed his brows. “I’m sorry, it is a just a common man’s saying.”

"Oh,” she dejected with a shaky voice. “Right. Sure.” She cleared her throat. "It's getting late, I should be on my way. I hope to see you when we return." Without another word, she paced to the doors and left the dining hall.

The moment the doors clicked shut his smile shrunk.

2