13 Hunt’er
154 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alex-POV

"We are here to hunt boar type mana beast. Mostly of D rank. It means you can handle it on your own. With your C rank feather falling ability, I think you will be safe. But be wary of the fact that this forest is not just home to C rank mana beasts." Cyprus said.

From his luggage, he took out a large bag. As if it weighed nothing, he carried it on his back. On one hand, he had a spear while the other carried a rifle, and we both began our journey into the forest.

'Cyrus knows everything about me. He might have done a background check on me. Yes, I know that I am a C rank superhuman. Considering how even Leo was ranked D, my rank is pretty good for a mob.'

The truth of the matter is that anyone below B rank is cannon fodder in this novel world.

Now, Cyrus expects me to do something dangerous alone. Did he really want to silence me?

After all, forests are a good place for 'accidental deaths.'

"Boar type beasts like to move in groups. They are omnivorous and are extremely violent in nature. So, We will be moving through the canopy."

"Yes, Sir." That was a wise idea. Due to the increase in mana concentration on earth, even the forests are different from normal earth. The Tree towers over forty metres in height and it has a wide range of flora and fauna.

"As you might have realised, I will call the shots from now on. You will follow me closely and observe."

"Yes, sir." Should I give a salute too? This hunt was turning into a military drill. Old habits die hard, right Cyrus?

After that, the yes saying robot called Alex followed Cyrus into the forest.

The jungle was cold, damp and humid. Every couple of minutes we check the map and stop at a predetermined destination. With his experienced movements, Cyrus outdid me in everything.

He would stop at times to check for tracks. If he finds it, he will try to determine the direction of the prey and follow it.

Tracking skill was an important part of any hunter. And that skill set really helped us in the forest.

Cyrus was quick on his feet. Unlike me, whose ability allows me to move agilely through the thick forest. Cyrus was using his pure physical endurance to jump across tree branches. It felt like it was too hard to catch up to this fifty-something-year-old man.

After moving through the forest for an hour. We finally found a fresh track.

In front of us was a patch of land that was ploughed by something. The dirt and mud were freshly dug up.

Boar type beasts were mana beasts of large size. A single one can become as large as twenty feet in length and weigh up to six metric tons. They were humongous.

And supposedly they were digging up tubers in this region. That was the reason for the upturned earth.

We looked closely at the tracks and determined that there were more than three boars in this group. Luckily it was a small group.

"Alex, prepare your weapons and check the safety." Said Cyrus in haste.

'Fuck guns! I don't know how to check anything. Isn't he superhuman? Why do we even need a gun?'

"Sorry Sir, I prefer something else over guns." It's not because I don't know how to use it. Definitely!

"Oh! Close combat, take this spear. You should damage the body less if you can."

'Well not exactly! A police officer can't say he is unfamiliar with guns. So, this was my only choice.'

"Hahaha…" Although I thought about something else. I laughed it off as nothing.

By slowly making no sound we moved towards the boars. They were busy digging up tubers and feasting on them. We had enough camouflage to go unnoticed.

"You see, the one with a bright red mane. That is the mother. The other two smaller ones are its children. What we are going after is the big one. If the small ones run, don't bother going after them."

As if I would. I prefer going after nothing.

Now that I saw the boars. I remember reading about them.

Boars with bright red mane with a tackle attack. It had tusks as strong as steel that could gouge out a person's internal organs in seconds. It uses mana to reinforce the tusk and do a thrusting attack on its enemies when agitated. It was even said that they could fell trees if they really wanted to. Boar type mana beasts are dangerous!

Oh sheesh! I don't want to be on the receiving end of that. I hope Cyrus will take care of it soon. Although I am safe in the tree canopy, I don't know what will happen in the future.

Cyrus, lifting the gun, began looking through the scope.

The rifles were long-ranged weapons. But the thick forest hampered visibility. So, we had to move closer.

We sneaked up on the boar through the trees.

But suddenly I slipped.

*Click tuck* Sounds of me stepping on a branch spooked the boars.

*Bam!* Cyrus shot the gun. But it was missed due to the boars moving around.

'Ah! I feel like a failure. I didn't help but also caused trouble. I am just dead weight.'

Cyrus looked at me and pushed me down. There were no emotions in his eyes. He was not bothered at all. Then, why is he doing this?

'I am just dead, we can remove the 'weight' part.' I thought while I fell down.

"Good bait!" I heard Cyrus mumbling while looking at me.

Fuck! I am done for.

In front of me, there was a pissed off Mama boar and its children. Worst timing to get pushed down.

"Alex, we don't have much time. Kill it and we can go home. It's already evening." Cyrus shouted at my pathetic self.

But I had no time to think. The mama boar was already going for my throat.

If given a chance, she was ready to pull out my intestines.

Looking at the situation. My advantages were obvious. I was faster and more agile than that six-ton of pure meat. I can climb trees and escape.

So I made a run for the trees. But the boars were a step ahead. They surrounded me to keep me on the ground. Their nostrils were flaring up in anger while their hind legs pressed down on the forest floor to charge at me.

"Unlucky!" Commented Cyrus Vulcan while enjoying the show. This guy was mad.

Instead of stopping, I continued to run. I knew that I had to reduce the number of boars alive. Simply put, I have killed one or two to think about escaping.

And all I had in my hand was the spear.

Carrying the spear, sprinted towards the smallest boar. The weak point of this type of mana beast was its neck. The part that connects the spine with the skull and numerous blood vessels and nerves all pass through this point. And I was aiming for that.

Just as I reached near the boar. I jumped over it, piercing the spear directly on its neck.

*Blood Splash*

One-shot kill. For a second I was proud.

But, before I could rejoice about the achievement. I could feel the other small boar behind me. I had no choice but to jump up high into the air to dodge the attack.

I was really unlucky!

I can't do aerial manoeuvres. The moment I fall, the boar will be below me. Certain death was in front of me again.

If I was Edward, A random coconut would have fallen and killed a boar saving my life. But I was not. I don't have such fierce plot armour.

What I have is Cyrus. My possible father in law, who might save me. Even then, I knew I was up for a world of pain. Cyrus wouldn't help until I am half dead. I am sure of that. I know this guy's personality from reading the original novel.

Acting kind at first might have fooled me for a moment. But I know the real him.

Looking below me, I could see the boar waiting with open jaws to chew on me.

There is only one last thing I could possibly do. A move that makes use of my ability, feather-falling. An unverified move that I never used before.

—------------------POV end—---------------

When Alex jumped high. Cyrus knew that the battle was over. Saving him was the only thing left to do. He didn't want to anger his wife and daughter over a pesky kids death.

Raising his hands high, he materialised a flaming spear. The condensed mana burned in his hands radiating immense heat outwards.

Jumping from the tree, he readied to slam that flaming spear into the boar. But before he could hit it. Alex, who was falling, accelerated downwards suddenly. Like a meteor, he fell towards the open mouth of the boar holding the spear. He named the ability falling star. It was an ability that increased gravitational pull on himself, increasing his downward acceleration.

Using that ability, he nailed the boar through its head to the floor.

The big boar died and smaller ones scrambled in fear.

The exhausted Alex stood with shaking legs. He had done the impossible and overcome a wall. As a reward, his superhuman ability evolved in a new direction.

He had unlocked the next phase in evolution.

The drained Alex turned towards Cyrus.

"I like roasted pork belly. HA ha ha…" With that laugh, Alex fainted.

What Alex had done surprised even Cyrus. Even though it was rare, he had seen many people evolve their superhuman abilities during battle. And all of them are S ranked superhumans now.

This proves that Alex can evolve into S rank. This truly surprised him who had no expectation of Alex.

"Leaving me to clean up and take a nap mid-combat. I should teach him better." Saying that Cyrus carried Alex on his back.

Suddenly a flame elemental materialised near them and carried the boar. As a previous generation, S ranked combatant. There were many secrets to Cyrus Vulcan.

9