16 Dinner
153 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alex of POV

Weirdly enough, nothing seems to faze me much these days. I was running on empty tanks, expecting the unexpected while trying not to get killed.

Surviving a hunt with Cyrus was nothing to be surprised about.

But, was my plan a success? I was curious to know. Other people might have thought that I was forced to join the hunt. Except, I was not.

It was a strategic decision on my part to join the hunt. While the hunt was inevitable, I decided to use that for my own purpose.

For me, stopping the Blood river incident held more precedence over everything. For the past couple of days, this world has been refreshing my memories. It was stating that it too is real: not a novel I once read. The people I see here are living breathing humans with their own life. Not pawns that I could use and dispose of.

Even my initial thought of using Leo to do my bidding felt evil to me. For a fact, I wanted to do good. And the method I was using was wrong. I was being an absolutist, and my reason was my knowledge of the future. I was never sure about the absolute future of this world. But I was acting like I was sure. It was pathetic of me.

Now that I know what I had done wrong. It was time to correct my mistakes and make new plans; not a plan that revolves around me.

I want to help this world that I live in. And for me to help this world as much as I can. I needed help.

Help from all the people I know and from people that have never been uncovered in the first place.

In the novel, the heroes that arose in times of dire need were never welcomed. They were neglected at times or suppressed by people with greater power. This in itself was reason enough to see why 'Outerworlds' span off into a despondent future.

To prevent the destruction of earth as we know it, I want to channel my strength into building connections. Connections that can help the world in the future.

And Cyrus was one such connection. As a man of military prowess, he liked strong people. The only hope of convincing such a person was by showing strength in any way or form.

My reasoning was sound. It factored in my knowledge about Cyrus and the future. But I was incompetent and failed miserably. I fainted after a close combat fight.

I do not know how I can look at his face again.

Half my trouble would have been solved if I could convince Cyrus. His relationship and connection with the military could have been a major asset. And now, it has become a hopeless dream.

I didn't have much time to think.

Theia, who ran away, had already returned with her aunt Emily.

"'Let's go down. Dinner is ready. We are having a barbecue today."

"Was it the big mana boar that I hunted?"

In my recent memories, there was the image of me driving a spear through the head of a mana boar. Does that mean we are having mana boar for food?

I have never tasted a mana beast before. So exciting!

"Yes." Emily answered while crouching down to pick up Theia.

"Look how Theia is drooling. You little glutton!" Emily caressed the small belly of Theia.

"Giggle Giggle…" Theia giggled holding onto her aunt. She looked curiously at me once in a while.

Fainting a waking up seems to be the norm here. As soon as I woke up, I was invited to have dinner. Making sure there were no hidden injuries, I followed Emily to the backyard.

In front of me was a large yard. Large might be an understatement.

The Vulcan family property seems to span as far as I could see. The backyard only took up a small portion of it, but it was large for normal people like me.

I have a rich girlfriend! I should have expected that.

I walked tailing Emily towards the table. There were neatly arranged, cooked meat, fresh vegetables and sauce.

A burst of aroma wafted towards me. The delicious smell enlarged my appetite and my salivary glands prepared for the onslaught of food.

A while seems to pass by for me to notice the curious glances directed at me. There were more people around me than I expected.

Other than Emily, Cyrus, Mary, Leo and Theia. There were three more unfamiliar faces in front of me.

They were curiously glancing at me while I salivated at food. It was embarrassing, nonetheless, I quickly covered up my expression.

"Hello, I am Hungry." I introduced myself with a straight face.

"Hello, Hungry! I am Ethan, it's nice…to meat you." Ethan introduced himself while giving me a piping hot piece of meat.

"So, nice of you." My jovial reply seems to have cleared the air. I took a seat next to Emily around the table.

Emily was feeding Theia and had less time to care about me. I wanted to say I am a baby too. But it would be too demeaning of me.

One by one, the unfamiliar faces introduced themselves.

Next to Ethan was Freya Vulcan, his wife. And next to Freya was Aurora Vulcan. The youngest sister of Emily, an eighteen-year-old punk, high schooler. Like all the members of the Vulcan family. She was special in her own way.

Sitting around a family, watching everyone laughing and joking around with each other. Seeing them smile with an open heart. It was a different experience for me. Although I felt like an imposter at that exact moment.

It also gave my heart peace. The feeling of having a family.

In the end, Cyrus held out a cup of beer to me. He stood up and said.

"Today, the dinner was possible due to Alex. He hunted two mana beasts alone. Even though he is not as strong as me or as smart as me. He was still able to gain courage and defeat the boar with his wits. I dedicate this drink towards Alex." Unlike the grumpy old man I saw before, Cyrus downed the beer, smiling happily. He was truly a family man.

"After taking a small part. The remaining meat was donated to an orphanage in honour of Alex." After saying his piece, he sat down.

In the novel, Cyrus was an avid hunter. But there was no explanation about why Cyrus liked hunting. Or why he even bothers while he has everything.

And now, I know the reason. He was feeding hundreds of people with his hobby. My respect for the man increased even more hearing that.

After everything I have been through, today was a good day.

Like that, the dinner ended.

—-----

Interacting with everyone on a personal level. I learned much more about each person than reading about them in a novel. By reading the novel which was from the perspective of Edward. I realised I was wearing tinted glasses while looking at them. His prejudice and thoughts somehow seemed to have merged with mine.

That was not good.

Consider Cyrus for example. He was strict with Edward. He wanted to push his son to become better. He was genuinely a good person at the core.

For me, that was a good thing. As I expected, I might not have disappointed him by fainting after hunting the boar. I might have another chance.

If I could convince him about the upcoming danger, he would surely help. It meant additional support from all of the Vulcan family, Ethan included and support from all their connections. A significant help while I am in dire need.

I hope I am a good judge of character and everything will be okay in the end.

5