003. Talent
38 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Basic Arcana recorrected to Minor Arcana, sounds better.

2 days later.

Starlight Estate.

'Today is the day that Risa, my mother comes back again. She'll teach me more about my talent. Im very curious about 'Eyes of Future Sight'. This talent was not mentioned in the novel, atleast in the parts I read. What is this talent exactly, and why have I not heard of it?'

'Eyes of Future Sight' was not a name that was mentioned anywhere in the novel. Nor had he heard of Rigel, the Polaria House, or his father and mother. He had heard of Polaria, the First Prophet, but he didn't even know that he left behind a family line. Perhaps this world wasn't exactly the same as the novel.

'If thats the case, then things might happen that will make the future take a different path than the novel. If that's the case, then I can't rely
 on my knowledge of the first half of the novel too much.'

Rigel just finished his lessons with his butler, Silva. So he was currently heading back to his study. He had already placed the three books his father gave him inside his private study. 

'How troublesome. It would be great if this world followed the plot of the novel accurately. Sigh... Doesn't matter, I'll have to strengthen my 
 physical and magical abilities. To survive the events that will happen in the future, I have to enroll into Norathian Academy. I can build up
 my knowledge, power, and connections in there. There will be other transported individuals that take game characters outside the 
 Academy though, but I can take missions that the Academy gives out as a pretext to go meet them.'

After moving through the hallways for a while, he finally found his study. Opening the door, he entered and sat on the chair in the middle of the study. Looking outside the window, he said-

"Its almost afternoon. She sure is taking a while."

He knew both of his parents were busy, so it couldn't be helped. Grabbing a book, 'Basic Magic Theory', he proceeded to study the book to pass time. He had gotten used to reading books for the past 3 years.

For the past two days, Rigel had been studying the books that his father gave to him. Basic Arcana, Circle Formation for Beginners, and Basic Magic Theory. Minor Arcana was basically a step up from Basic Minor Arcana, going into more detail about the tiers of magic spells and magicians. It also teached more basic spells, and introduced Basic Elemental Magic. It showed the reader how to cast basic spells of the four most common Elements. Fire, Water, Earth and Wind. 'Stream' was also a basic Water spell, but it was the most easiest out of all the basic Water magic spells.

Circle Formation for Beginners teached about proper ways to make magic circles. Magic circles were the catalysts that allowed for magic spells to be casted. It wasn't their only use though, as magic circles could be used to permanently enchant and reinforce an item, turning it
into a magic item. They can also be grouped, turning into Magic Formations, that is able to cast a magic indefinitely or a more powerful 
version of it, as long as it had the mana necessary.

Basic Magic Theory was the most complex out of all these books. It went into detail about mana itself, teaching how mana interacts with the world. It was basically Physics but Magic. Rigel could only imagine how complex the higher tiers of this book were. All of these books were published by the Tower. Normal people would struggle to get any of these books, but they were just available here right from the get go.
Rigel also thought that there were more copies of these books in the library.

He absorbed the knowledge of these books like a sponge. He wasn't done reading any of them though, as they had more contents than Basic Minor Arcana.

"Humm, hum hum..." Rigel hummed while reading the book.

The contents of the book were the most complex he read, but he still understood all of them after reading and thinking about them multiple times. Sometimes the book had parts showing processes that he could replicate right now, so he followed them. Circulating his mana, he knew he felt close to shattering a barrier. Orienting his mana, he branched them. He could feel the mana flowing through his arms. The mana travelled to the tips of his fingers.

'Im so close. I can feel it. If I can control the inert mana surrounding me, then I can finally become a Tier 1 Magician, a Beginner.'

The mana was stopped by the skin at the tip of his finger. Skin here had biologically developed to be a natural container of mana. Pushing the mana even further, he could feel it inching through his skin. Rigel was trying his best. If he could make his mana penetrate the tip of his fingers, he could then use his mana to control the inert mana. If he was able to do this, his utility of magic will rapidly expand. Casting magic spells in the air could be possible, as long as he had enough control. The control of mana in the surrounding air was what seperated a common human who could only cast the most basic of spells, to  a Tier 1 Beginner Magician. 

His mana was slowly inching through the fingers, and he could feel it deeply. It didn't hurt, but it was the most weirdest sensation he had ever felt. It was akin to worms burrowing out of his fingers.

'Come on, even further! More force!' Rigel's face had twisted due to the huge force he was putting on his stomach, chest, and arms. He did his best to push and circulate his mana towards his fingers. He was getting tired, and his arms were getting numb. Just when he was about to give up, he felt his mana bursting out. And with that, a loud sound resounded throughout the entire study, and a force was expelled out of the tip of his fingers.

Boom!!!

The force due to the burst of his mana reacted with the inert mana in the surrounding air, sending them bursting out at high speeds in the direction of his fingers, which luckily were pointing up, towards the study ceiling. The study ceiling, which was made out of somekind of wood and looked luxurious, immediately caved in, or up, in this case. The rest of the mana was sent down towards the ground, with it, came a force that felt like wind. The force knocked down a glass bottle, made the bookshelves fell, and sent most of the books flying. The mana of the single mana lamp was disrupted, turning on and off. In the middle of this chaos, between fallen bookshelves, open books in the floor, and the disrupted mana lamp, Rigel was dumbstruck.

'Holy fucking shit!!! I put way too much force!' 

"Uhmm, uhhh... I overdid it..." He was too shocked that he accidentally speaked out.

'That could've been dangerous! That would have blown my head off if my fingers were pointing at me! My next life could've ended just like
 that...'

And, as the glass bottle was still rolling on the table, Rigel heard several footsteps approaching outside the study.

Tak tak tak tak tak tak!

The door suddenly burst open, revealing a beautiful woman.

"Rigel!!!" she screamed.

The beautiful woman saw the chaos, and immediately jumped over to Rigel. Rigel wanted to dodge, but he was already exhausted. And so he was enveloped in this woman's arms, and encased inside a pair of mounds.

"Rigel! Are you okay? Are you hurt anywhere? If so, just tell me, and I'll immediately heal them!"

After that, two other figures came inside the room.

"Rigel!"

"Young master!"

Having heard the burst of mana, they immediately came over this study to see if Rigel was alright.

"Mmmnmnmnm!- Mother- Im fine, im fine!" Rigel struggled to speak.

"Are you really fine Rigel?! You might be hurt somewhere, and because of the shock, you still can't feel it!" His mother, Risa, began to check Rigel for any injuries.

"Nmmoo- No! Mother, im really fine. I was attempting to become a Tier 1 Magician, and I did it! So could you please get off me? Im about to
 suffocate!" Rigel pleaded.

"Hwah? R-Rigel, y-you became a Tier 1 Sorcerer? Really?"

"Yes." Rigel frantically nodded his head. "So thats why, mother, could you please get off me now?"

"Im sorry, my dear Rigel. I thought you had an accident." Risa picked Rigel up, and put him at the table, which was still intact.

"Young master! This humble servant expresses his joy seeing that you are fine. Have you really become a Beginner Magician?"

"Um, yes. That is correct Silva. I have succesfully become a Tier 1 Beginner Magician."

"That is wonderful news, young master! To think, a child at the age of 4, becoming a Beginner Magician? Your talent in this generation is 
 unheard of!" Silva praised.

"Rigel, good job. Your talent has exceeded even your mother. She became a Beginner Magician at the age of 5. Rigel, as my son, im very glad
 to see your future as a magician is bright." Davien joined in.

Rigel felt glad inside. Although he didn't want to be treated as a child, seeing people praise him felt good.

"Rigel, your mother is very happy for you. But, you must never force your mana again like that, okay? Your mana is extremely pure and 
 potent, and having accidents like that could prove deadly for you. Promise me you'll never do that again. When advancing, you have to be 
 extremely careful. You can't just force mana like that especially in an advancement. In the later stages, if you mess up, your body could 
 instantly be torn to bits if you aren't careful." Risa warned him. She wanted her child to be safe. She knew Rigel was very talented, and 
 because he was her child, she wanted him to be careful.

"Yes mother, I'll be careful." Rigel didn't enjoy being treated as a child, but he had already gotten used to it. It also can't be helped, since what he did was the equivalent of a 4 year old finding an automatic rifle and then shooting it.

"Good boy." Risa kissed his cheeks. Rigel had already gotten used to the large amounts of skinship Risa had shown him. He didn't care now, and he barely did in the past. After all, she was his mother.

Many servants had gathered outside the room. Davien had already called them to restore the study. It would take a day for it to be restored.

"Mother, you came here because you wanted to talk to me about my talent, right?"

"Yep. I was given a one-week leave by Her Majesty, the Empress. Rigel, I wanted to explain more about our talent. It's even better now that
 you've advanced to a Tier One. Come, let's have a walk together outside."

Following his mother, Rigel went outside and into the surrounding forest, following a forest trail, he could gradually hear the sound of a waterfall. As he was still four, Rigel rarely went outside, so he was quite curious as to the flora and fauna of the surrounding forest. He didn't know much about plants, but he could tell that some definitely couldn't grow without the existence of mana. He also saw animals that didn't exist back in his previous world. As he was getting tired, they arrived at the waterfall. The sound of water gushing down, the chirping of birds, and the rustling sound of the trees all sounded very relaxing. 

"Rigel, my dear child. Tell me, how much do you know about our talent, 'Eyes of Future Sight?"

'A strange question. I know some things about it, but not much. I only know about it due to father telling me about it, and Silva explaining   some things about the talent as well.' 

"I only know little of it mother, but I know I have it, since im also a descendant of Polaria."

"Thats good. All descendants of Polaria have this talent. Rigel, I originally wanted you to come here to only explain more about our talent...
 But you grow so fast. At this age, you're already a Beginner Magician, and that's amazing. That's why, I'll teach you more not only about
 'Eyes of Future Sight', but I'll teach you how to use it, right now."

'What? Right now?' Rigel was a bit suprised. He didn't think he would be learning this talent right now. He heard many things about it.
Although all descendants of Polaria had it, it wasn't some kind of magic circle you could just learn and consume mana to cast. Talents were different. There were many bloodlines that had Talents in this continent, ranging from increasing someones strength, or amplifying the magics they casted. But they all were grouped into two. Passive Talents, or Active Talents. 'Eyes of Future Sight' was considered as an Active Talent, although its ability put it as one of the most powerful Talents in the continent.

"Right now mother? But I've heard about how hard it is to activate this talent when you're weaker. I also heard it consumes exorbitant
 amounts of mana. Where im at, I just can't see me being able to use it. I need to atleast be three tiers higher, at Fourth Tier Apprentice."

"That's correct, Rigel! You're so knowledgeable at your age. Your mother is very proud of you, Rigel. However, sometimes, there are
 children born in the family that have high amounts of mana and purity. I was also considered as one of those children. Rigel, I'll ask you
 a question, at what age did you think I became a First Tier Beginner?"

"6?"

"Wrong! I became a First Tier Beginner at the young age of 5, just a year later than you. I then learned the talent when I was 7, at Third Tier
 Beginner. Hahahaha! Your mother is amazing right?"

Rigel nodded.

"However. Rigel, you- you were born with incredible amounts of mana and purity, even more than me. Did you know? When you were born,
  your father's friend, Arthur, a High Elf who is part of the Tower Council, said you had way more mana than most normal elves when they      are just born."

'I didn't know that. My father is friends with a High Elf, who was also part of the Tower Council? That's strange, doesn't the Empire have 
 xenophobic tendencies towards races that aren't human? How is that possible?'

In the Union Alliance invasion of the Empire, the MC of the novel and the entire Academy fought against the Empire. The Empire, that had hated many other demihumans and other species, had always been hated by its surrounding human countries as well. Border frictions escalated against the Union Alliance, a country that resembled a federation. Gradually, the small frictions became the spark to an all-out war, lasting for 3 years, with the Empire left in shambles. It was suprising his father, who served as an Imperial Swordmaster, was friends with not just an Elf, but a High Elf.

Rigel showed a confused face.

"You're confused right? I know. The Empire has always treated other species, and even humans outside Imperial territory, as below them.
 The Polaria Family has never cared about this, we ignored it, as our duty is to serve the Empire and lead it to a better path, not treating 
 others as lesser. To be honest, I have never really liked this segregation. Your mother is lucky to have found a person that also didn't like it."

'I see, that's why. That's really interesting... So why have I never heard of this Ducal House in the novel? Although they didn't oppose the 
 current segregation and speciesm, they weren't like the rest of the Empire, that was xenophobic. At the very least, at the start of the 
 invasion, shouldn't have they earned a mention in the novel? Something is wrong.'

Could they have just been added out of nowhere as a result of this world being its own reality? No way he thought. Polaria existed in the novel, so shouldn't he also have his own family line in the novel? Perhaps, this reality was just different. In this world, Polaria existed, and he left descendants, forming the House of Polaria. But in the novel, he didn't have descendants, so there was no House of Polaria.

'But then, how is the Gratz Empire in the novel so vast and prosperous? Its the same as this world as well. The Empire was vast, stretching
 from the eastern coast of the continent, to the west, at the Hammerfield Mountain Range, where the dwarves resided. It had territories up 
 the northern Pole, bordering the Duard Kingdom, which also bordered the Borea Magic Kingdom to its northeast. To the south, it had a 
 massive forest, where some elves lived, The Virid Magic Forest. To the southeast, there was the Union Alliance, which in the future, will   directly invade the Empire.

"You Rigel, you have talent that surpasses me. I was a prodigy, but you surpassed me. You are special, Rigel. So, I wanted to teach you about
 about this talent at an early age."

At the surface, Rigel was listening to his mother and making eye contact. Inside however, his mind went at superspeeds to analyze the incongruity between this world and the novel. Due to him focusing too much on his thoughts, this time, it took slower for him to respond to his mother.

"Ah, really, mother?"

"Mhm! Are you suprised, Rigel? Now lets begin."

'Shit, I'll have to think about this later.

Something was bugging him. The ominous premonition he felt 2 days ago struck back. There had to be something. Anything. Right now however, he had to focus. It wouldn't do for him to have an accident learning how to use his talent because he wasn't paying attention.

"Stand here, Rigel. I'll have to make contact with you so if any accidents happen, I can use my mana to immediately react to it."

Standing on the edge of the river stream, he could hear both the sound of the running stream and the waterfall clearly.

"Now, I want you to close your eyes. Rigel, have you ever felt something in you whenever you sleep or close your eyes for long enough?"

"Yes, mother. I feel it everytime I try to sleep." Rigel answered, while his eyes were closed.

Since his arrival, he had always felt something deep inside him when he closed his eyes for a long period or tried to sleep. He thought it was just something to get used to, but when he was told about this talent, he thought that it was the talent he could feel inside him.

In about a couple of seconds, he felt something else inside his brain. It was pulsing, like a heartbeat, but it was also spinning. Due to him being a First Tier Magician now, he could clearly feel it inside his brain. Last time, he just knew something was there. 

"What does it feel like Rigel?"

"Its clearly spherical in nature. I can feel it pulsing, and spinning fast. Is that my talent, mother?"

"Thats great, Rigel. This is the reason why most of our ancestors tried activating their talent when they are Fourth Tier Apprentices. They 
 can feel more of their inner body, and their mana mixed with their biological material, makes them able to feel their physique more clearly."
His mother praised him.

"But Rigel, you were born with highly pure and potent mana. Not only that, the amount of mana you have condenses it. Basically you can 
 feel your insides more clearly. This is unheard of for a First Tier. Not only that, you are still four. Alright, now I want you to control your 
 mana to lead that sphere directly into both of your eyes. Stop its rotations, seperate it with your mana, and then lead it into your eyes."

"Mother.. Im still tired from the previous advancement. Will I really be fine?"

"Dont worry, the activation of 'Eyes of Future Sight' takes control, not force. You will be fine, so don't worry."

Rigel tried to do what his mother told him, but was immediately met with an obstacle. How would you stop its rotation with mana, an intangible energy? He tried his best to stop it, and although he felt that it slowed down a bit, it still didn't work. Thinking about how to
stop it, he had an idea. He could try compressing mana in his brain, and then slowly forcing it down to stop it? This should work, he thought. He only had to force mana when it tried to go through something mana resistant. Compressing it inside his brain would be easy since it didnt develop to become  a biological barrier against mana like his skin. Doing what he just thought of, he could feel his mana clamping down on the sphere, slowing it down to a halt. Now he just had to seperate it.

This step was many times more harder to do, since he felt force from the sphere trying to rotate again. It was also pulsing, so it was a bit hard to compress his mana to try and hold it. He also had a plan for this step. He latched his mana on the orb even further, and then tried to seperate it, while above and below the orb, he made it so that the mana was trying to wedge onto the thinner parts. He didn't know how his brain wasn't hurting, mana this compressed inside the brain feels like it should hurt but for some reason it didn't. Like an island seperating into two, and ocean water rushing in the middle of the gap, he successfully seperated his orb after 6 minutes. 10 minutes had already passed,
and he felt more tired as time went on. Controlling mana continously when you were still this small wasn't beneficial.

The last step was even harder. The seperated energies now wanted to fuse back together. They pulsed, and tried to spin as well. Now he had take these into account and move them to both his eyes? It sounded impossible, atleast for his current condition. He didn't know why his mother wanted him to do it today, rather than tomorrow. Maybe she just trusts him? Rigel thought.

Trying his best to move the energies into his eyes, he slowly brought them towards his eyes. He didn't know how those energies weren't affecting any of his body parts, nor his compressed mana. Leading them towards his eyes, he had to keep full focus, or else they would combine back again, and his efforts would've all been for naught. Slowly but surely, the seperated energies was moved towards his eyes.
And then when the energies slightly touched the back of his eyes, that's when it happened.

Diiiiiiiing!!!

A sound akin to being flashed by a flashbang in games resounded throughout his entire mind. Rigel's vision instantly went white. Outside, his eyes brilliantly shone. The motes of light inside his eyes illuminated them, like stars going supernova. His eyes now looked like they had stars inside, and he now looked like a child sent from heaven itself.

Inside, his visions of pure white changed into a scene from the future. He could see something burning. He felt something was burning.
It felt so realistic, it was as if he was there himself. This was a vision from the future. How could this be? And whats more, he could feel things gradually become more realistic. The distorted and cracked vision kept getting clearer, and he could smell something in the air.
He could feel something hitting him. He gradually started to feel more and knew it was rushes of wind hitting his body. A sound in the distance reverberated. They sounded like explosions. Big explosions. But, with his senses getting clearer, he could feel that his mana was being drained more rapidly. This was extremely shocking to Rigel, as he had never ran out of mana. In the past, there were many times he almost ran out of mana from practice, but he immediately stopped it when he was showing signs of mana exhaustion. However, this was the first time he felt his mana being drained this rapidly.

'No! St-stop!'

His extremely large pool of mana, was immediately getting drained, and he only had been seeing this vision for about 2 seconds. He knew what would happen if he ran out of mana. If a user 'Eyes of Future Sight' were to ran out of mana while using it, then the talent itself would
draw directly from the life power inside its user, commonly known as the soul. Whats more, when this process happens, it would be near impossible to stop. The user would either die by having his lifespan rapidly drained away, or the user would lose some of his lifespan. This has happened many times in the House, and he did not want it to happen to him.

Just when he was about to run out of mana though, he felt a jolt, as foreign mana entered his body, and forcefully stopped his talent. Bam! Rigel heard a sound that nobody else could hear. As his vision went back to a flash of light, and then a view of a flowing river, and 
the greenery surrounding it. The stars in his eyes slowly faded, like dawn veiling over the stars of the night sky. And the last vestiges of the stars inside his eyes dissapeared, they were back to motes of light, almost invisible to the naked eye. Rigel took a deep breath. And then fell down.

"Hup, got you." His mother picked him up before his head hit the ground. She was suprised by how long it took, since her first vision only lasted about 0,5 seconds, before she was jolted back awake by the previous Head. His son, Rigel however, had lasted for about 2 seconds. This was the testament to the purity and amount of mana Rigel was born with. And the amount had increased over the past four years since he was born. He now had more mana than any normal human Journeyman Magician.

"My little Rigel, I'm sorry." Risa said, but Rigel was already asleep. She had to keep this a secret. The fact that her child was so prodigious that he was able to reach the First Tier at the age of 4? Normal humans reached the First Tier when they were 14 or 15. Talented humans would be able to reach the First Tier when they were 9 or 13. And only few were able to reach that level more earlier than 9. There was basically no one in this generation that had reached the First Tier at the age of 4. at 5? Maybe only few. But not only that, he was able activate the Polaria House's talent, 'Eyes of Future Sight' at the young age of four, when he just reached the First Tier. If anybody outside the House knew this fact, then many other influential figures in the Empire would eye him. His son already had enough people eyeing him, due to him being the next Head of the Family, bearing the prestigious title of Prophet. A title that was exclusive only to the House of Polaria.

She didn't want her son to be troubled, as she knew the other elites in the Empire were problematic, and they would try to take advantage of Rigel. Many had been wanting the blood of Polaria, either taking it by force or by marrying into them. However, this was extremely hard because of the drawbacks of 'Eyes of Future Sight', they could only have one descendant. This is the reason why the Polaria Family had no branch families. This fact made them stand alone in a sea of vultures. Due to the extremely xenophobic and highly meritocratic nature of the Empire, the Polaria Family had always distanced themselves from the other nobles, listening only to the rulers of the Gratz Empire. Nobody could command them. Not even the other ducals. They had always stood alone, and this was why they were often ignored by the other nobles as well.

Caressing her son's forehead, she carried Rigel back to the estate. The sun had almost set already, and the stars in the sky were gradually revealing themselves. Looking up at the orange sky slowly being turned dark blue, she hoped to the gods above that her son would always
remain safe. She knew it wasn't possible, but she still hoped for it. Tonight, she would have to talk to her husband, Davian, and the butler that had always served them, Silva. Arriving at his son's room, she layed him down at his bed.

"Good dreams, my sweet Rigel." She kissed his forehead, and then proceeded to exit his room.

Going through the hallways, Risa arrived at the Main Study. Opening the door, she saw that her husband, Davian, and the butler, Silva was inside. She thought it was perfect, as she wanted to talk to them about Rigel's future, and his safety. 

They had a long discussion that went until the middle of the night. 

One chapter for today. Its about 4800 words though, which is basically 5000. Hope you enjoyed.

3