Book I : Chapter 2 – Swords
24 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"A sword, a linen pouch with enough money, a water bag made of cured animal stomach to carry water and a leather bag that would be containing my two spare clothes. I think that should be enough."

I was sitting on a chair at my room's study table, pondering about the things I would want in my journey outside after leaving the house. Preparing these things wouldn't be a problem since I had plenty of money with me, except that I was in need for some information regarding one of the items...

"A sword, huh."

Now for a sword I've no idea what kind I should be buying. I do know where they are sold but I'm no connoisseur regarding them. I've seen the guards patrolling our house's perimeters carrying them, and I've also seen superior high quality swords carried by my father's personal guards. Even my mother's personal maids carry daggers with them for her protection. The only people who don't carry weapons are the other servants and maids, and my family who don't consider it necessary since we have guards for that job. Hmm... I don't know why that makes me uncomfortable. Though we are heavily protected and are considered to be plenty safe, aren't we actually weak? I've never seen father practicing a sword. He considers it barbarous though he does carry a ceremonial one outside for intimidation purpose. Same with my other family members. My brothers also don't have much interest in swordsmanship, though they do have interest in watching sword battles.

"Well, I'll just go and ask all I want to know about swords from the guards themselves. In such cases it's better to ask those who are the experts."

Well that's it for all the pondering. What I've to do is to act on it. Things will probably work out by themselves.

*********

In a certain town...

Certain traditional styled houses could be seen situated in a very large property land which was some thousands of acres large. Large shouts and mock battle cries could be heard from some of the buildings inside. The whole property was one of the biggest dojos in the whole empire that was open to anyone skilled enough and worthy among the public. And for this very same reason it was the dojo that was heavily shunned by the empire. Since the empire wanted large and well organized dojos to be especially reserved for the training of its soldiers, the guards of the noble families, the guards of the wealthy merchant families and anyone who the emperor personally approved of. Being situated in a remote town though did save this it from the brunt of empire's pressure, but the pressure was still there.

Another of the reasons why this dojo survived till now, despite being under empire's scrutiny, was due to one of the previous 1st generals of the empire being the one who founded it, and his descendants were still the owners of the dojo. The empire didn't dare to oppose the general's decision of founding such a dojo when he was alive, but after his death, it started to use various means against his descendants from threats, to trying to bribe them, to trying to use the Night Church's authority to cause the people to boycott them. In spite of all that the dojo survived, as many people still joined it despite the boycott, and the descendants being as honorable as their 1st general ancestor (a rare trait in the empire) such that they were willing to follow his will to the end at all costs.

In one of the main buildings, an old, tall and well built man in his 60s could be seen reviewing some papers on his desk as he sat on his feather filled cushion. He occasionally drank his tea from an earthen cup as he flipped through all the reports, frowning occasionally as he stroked his long white beard and moustache.

"The assassin organization has been really targeting us now much frequently, eh? Looks like the Imperial Capital is getting really desperate. Since we keep the identities of our students anonymous by giving them a new temporary name when they first join us. They at least can't target their families. As for us, we'll see."

"Isn't it going to be problem?" said a voice in the shadows.

"Problem? Heh! It's not like we haven't been handling problems for all this time."

As the old man replied with a wild smile, his eyes that were like a predator, narrowed as he continued.

"Because since I'm a man that doesn't know what fear of death is, nor I've taught my students to have such a fear, it's just another problem we have to tackle that's all. Whether we eventually get annihilated opposing the empire in their tricks or not is something that belongs to future. It's of no present consequence."

"As you said, Patriarch."

As the voice became silent again, the Patriarch started pondering again over the matter. Even if he didn't have a fear of death, he still didn't like someone actively attacking him as he always believed having revenge where its due. Thus he started thinking of all the possible ways he could use to tackle this problem that were within his power and influence.

*********

"So young master wants to know about swords. I do know plenty about them? But if I don't come as rude may I know why?"

"I'm thinking of starting a business regarding weapons. I know I'd need a license from the empire to do so but I'd have my father tackle that problem afterwards if I do act upon it. I just wanted to know if its worthwhile for me in doing so."

I was talking to the chief guard at the guard office. The guard office was located at the outskirts within property's perimeters. The reason being that particular location had the largest view of the wall perimeters, which was essential for the chief guard to have during the unlikely event of an attempted infiltration.

"Oh I can understand. It's definitely a worthwhile undertaking young master. So without wasting your time I'll start talking about everything you need to know about swords."

"Please do so."

And hence the chief guard started talking about the swords that he was familiar with, the ones he knew about and all the technical knowledge about their different types, the personnel  needed to make them and their different attributes and why there were different types that were suitable for different people. It took about fifteen minutes in our conversation as I asked some of my own questions in between to which he answered sincerely.

"Would you want to know anything more?"

"I think that's fine. Thanks for answering all my questions Mr. Milont."

"I hope the information helps in your decision in setting up your business, young master."

"Yes, it helped plenty."

Yes Mr. Milont. The information was really helpful, but of course not for a possible business venture, since I've no interest in doing such things. Swords are attractive when used, but are just pieces of metal when the only thing you do is sell them as some goods for profit. Your information will be much more useful for me than you can imagine. But I can only tell you a simple lie here. Can't have my father know what I'm planning.

1