13: Lies
139 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Why tell all this to me?” I asked nonchalantly, unfolding my arms. “You should ask Arthur. He stands a chance before Kali. Compared to him I am a nobody.”

No matter how messed up or broken the future plot line had become, the protagonist always reigned supreme.

I designed him to be the strongest and he could help these Asuras if they convinced him.

It won't be easy to persuade a moron, but the possibility was never dead.

“Still, you are the key to unlocking everything!” Ilec responded in his usual hefty tone, leaving the bed, and walking towards the window.

"You look sick," I commented observing his sunken cheeks and frail body.

"I am one of the strongest, but this damned curse took everything away." He gritted his teeth looking annoyed, before placing his hands on the glass panel and standing beside me.

"You know something, Tim Walker." Ilec paused as I tilted my head.

"What?"

"Kali is obsessed with you.” He sighed; an air of desolation floating around him. “He resurrected this town from your imagination, put everything in place including your parents, and altered their memory to fit this world."

“I thought they were fragments of my imagination.” My tone went a bit clunky as my face turned bitter.

“Kali did everything.” Ilec shifted his dull eyes to me. “We don’t know why, but he did the whole thing to give you a life here.” Averting his senses, he glared outside. “Everything is predetermined, Tim Walker. You are walking the path he paved for you. He won’t like it, if you deviate.”

“Well Ilec, we are going too fast for me to grasp anything.” I said with a dry smile on my face. “Why don’t we step back and piece everything together from my point of view.”

My brain couldn't process anything anymore.. I was totally lost between his words. First that town now my parents. Just how many surprises I had left to get?

It was too much.

“As you wish!” Ilec shook his head in agreement as he let out a broken chuckle. “Ask whatever you want, I am all yours.”

“Let’s sit down first.”

We sat opposite each other, on the chairs beside the bed. And after a thorough calculation, I presented my analysis.

“You guys are called Asuras or deities. Mythical beings hailed from heaven.” I spoke calmly, leaning on the chair.

“Not from heaven but a place more beautiful and astonishing than heaven. My home is a thousand times better than that puny piece of rock.” Ilec snorted, rolling his eyes. It seemed like he was infuriated by my remarks on his home.

“So does your home have a name?”

“Yes, but you don’t need to know that.” His tone went deeper in a split second as his face turned gray. “Focus on saving yourself and your home first. Mine comes later.”

“I understand.” I nodded carefully. There was no need to tick him off right now as he was the only source of information I had.

“Let’s talk about Kali then. He matters the most here.” I added, shifting gears. “you said he is the new enemy of all, replacing my original Genesis. Right?”

“He is, was, and will always be the enemy. Is it that hard to realize?” Ilec raised his voice in frustration. “I thought you were smart Tim Walker.”

“I clearly understand everything.” I sighed, lowering my head. “But things are getting too hectic for me to comprehend instantly.”

Truth was, these illogical events were clearly passing over my head. No matter how smart or dumb I was, nothing made any sense in the first place.

“Absolutely. You are a human after all.” Ilec's tone turned sarcastic as he sneered with an ignorant smirk. “Your race is always doomed.”

“I will take that as a compliment!” I responded, fixing my demeanor, and pitching my professional tone. “Humanity was always doomed, but we never went extinct. We were, are, and will be here, no matter what happens.”

Ilec stayed silent maintaining his stoic expression as I continued.

“Anyway, you said he is responsible for creating this town and bringing me here for a life.” I leaned forward resting my hands on the table before me. “So, is he also responsible for my parents and my female lead’s weird behavior?”

“I do not know!” Ilec words turned monotonous and I blinked a couple of times to let my brain analyze.

“Are you kidding me?” I said, eyes turning dead and face grim.

“No!”

“Why are you contradicting yourself. You literally said he is obsessed and is doing all this nonsense.”

“I know that but all of it is speculation. No one knows who is behind this hindrance.” Ilec mentioned it casually as if it was the most obvious answer, but I was having none of it.

“Then why were you so sure of it a moment ago?” I shouted, slamming my fist on the table.

If everything was a lie then what’s the point of this hour-long conversation. First my grandfather and now this. What the fuck was the truth then? Who was behind all this?

“If I won’t be sure then who is going to guide you on the right path!” He said serenely, leaning forward, copying my position. “You will be lost without directions. Do you even know how serious the situation is?”

“I perfectly recognize the situation, but can you stop lying and tell me the truth for God's sake?” I yelled again, failing to control my raged mind. “Who the fuck is doing all this shit?”

“As I said, I do not know the truth but Kali’s involvement is highly likely.” He glared at me. “He has parts of the Darkhold and nothing is impossible before it.”

“It is all a theory, right?” I barked aloud.

“Yes!”

“What did I expect?” Heaving a deep sigh I fell back, covering my eyes with my arm. “This is nonsense, Ilec. How am I supposed to believe you when you lie in every step?”

“It is up to you.” He too let out a deep breath and forced his body to get up before taking two steps to reach the bed. “I am not forcing you, Tim Walker. It is your choice to save yourself.”

Saying nothing and keeping a dejected face, I proceeded to leave, since staying with this man was futile. He was not even sure what was factual or erroneous, but was here to guide me.

Talk about hypocrisy.

“Tim Walker!” Ilec shouted from behind and I turned around with a frown.

“You may not believe me, but look around a little.” He smiled gently, waving his hands as the surrounding air rippled throughout the room. “You will know what I mean.”

***

Next Day. 09:33 AM
----------------------

Sitting on the sofa, inside the drawing-room I stared at the kitchen where Anniliese and my mom were happily chit-chatting over something I could not make out.

They looked like they were having the best time of their life as Anniliese was giggling throwing side glances at me, and mom was laughing out loud literally pointing at my face.

Not minding their too-loud discussion, my father sat on the sofa turning the pages of the newspaper he was reading and taking small sips from the cup he held. His face carried his usual calm demeanor that I could never forget.

“Tim, you want to eat something?” My mother asked shifting her attention, to which I promptly denied but replied with another question.

“Where is Mello?” I had not seen my own dog even once after coming here. A bit odd behavior for a proactive creature like him.

“That’s Jupiter.” She replied, her tone dropping a little cold. “Stop giving every dog the same name. It is disrespectful towards Mello.”

“It is the last time, Mom!” I responded, raising my hands, and admitting my fault. Practically it was not my fault but my weird habit, where I tend to give the same name to each one of my dogs.

And this fact was only known to my parents and none other because I had no friends to share anything with.

“Good!” Mom nodded, giving something to Annie which she proceeded to cut. “And Eli took Jupiter to the Vet. He was barking too much.”

“Eli?” I gawked at mom with my mouth hanging wide open. “My sister Eliana.”

“Yes! No need to act that surprised.” Mom chuckled, turning off the gas. “She doesn’t hate dogs anymore.”

“Well, that’s new.” I fixed my demeanor, leaning on the sofa.

It was no use to be that dumbstruck. I should have expected my sister to be here with my parents. But now that fact alone pushed me to execute my little plan earlier than I wanted.

“Dad, jog my memory a bit!” I asked and father lowered his paper.

“Sure, what do you want to know.” He smiled resting his face on his palm and tilting his head to the side.

“You still don’t like spinach and ginger, right?”

 “Yes!” He shook his head and I shifted my question to mom.

“Mom, you don’t like curd, carrot, and garlic which you only use for scent. Right?”

“Yes!” Mom too shook her head.

“Eli just hates milk, right? She won’t even come near it.” I added and my parents including Annie shook their heads in agreement.

So finally, I jumped back to question myself. “And I don’t like Brinjal, okra, gourd, pumpkin, beans, and...”

I trailed off failing to remember but mom picked up the list.

“Squash, Zucchini, Turnip, Broccoli, Cabbage, Capsicum, Peas, Cauliflower, Beet, Sprouts, Celery, Kohlrabi, and what else?”

“I think that’s all of them.” Anniliese pitched in with a sly grin on her face.

My mouth gaped as I watched mom recite every goddamn vegetable I did not eat. Only my mother could pull that off using her years of experience.

“You are right.” Mom gave a warm smile to Annie but turned around with a deadpan look in her eyes. " You eat nothing except potato and potato. Learn to accept that.”

I opened and closed my mouth to counter her impeccable argument but lost before the unbreakable truth. Still, I tried to make a comeback.

“You are wrong, mom.” I rejoined regaining my composure, bashing confidence in my voice and face. “Yes, I like potatoes but I also eat many vegetables.”

“Like what?” She retorted leaning on the black countertop of the kitchen which was never a good sign.

“I…”

“Come on! Say it kiddo, I wanna know what vegetables you like besides potatoes.” Her tone went past the soft side and entered the harsh level, as her face took the all too familiar gentle yet evil smile.

“I will tell you,” I said again mustering every ounce of assurance I had. It really takes guts to stand before your mother.

“Yes, go on. I am waiting!”

“I… I like…” I was lost for words. Despite being a fucking adult, I ate nothing more except potatoes and a handful of vegetables which I could not remember.

I had some in mind, but talking about those would bring more misfortune than any fortune. It would have been far better if I had just shut my freaking mouth.

“Just admit that you like potatoes more than your grades.” My father joined.

“Come on dad, not you too…” I cried in desperation. I hoped he would back me up but no, he turned out to be a traitor. He jumped onto the opposite.

“We don’t have all day, Son!” Mom spoke, leaving the kitchen and making her way to the sofa followed by Anniliese. “Name one vegi or admit that you love potato more than anything.”

“You know what, fine!” I lowered my head. Face turning sour and letting out a defeated sigh. “Yes, I like eating potatoes more than anything. Happy now!”

That last part came out a bit too harsh but I don’t think anyone heard that.

“That’s my boy!” Mom patted me on the back with a proud chuckle and dad folded the newspaper with a light snicker. And for some reason, Anni just winked, trailed by a small giggle.

Observing their behavior, I too smiled. It took me a while but this little interaction made me realize how real everyone was.

They laughed, over nothing. They came together to support a pointless argument. They bonded together like a family that I once abandoned to chase a non-existent dream.

‘I guess, I was wrong!’

We are all humans, we do stupid things. This is why we are here after all.

8