CH13: The Farm
421 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

From my little farm to the end of the barrier was a couple miles through a fairly dense forest, near a fairly large graveyard, and on the other side of the haunted cabin. That was the place most of the undead monsters liked to hang out when the graveyard was full. No one minded my fencing in a few acres and planting ryegrass, some Kentucky bluegrass, and fine fescue for deer, cattle, and horses. After I got rid of those pesky dead trees and turned them into alright posting, Gin decided to help me out.

 

The werewolf seemed a bit stronger after his adventure with drugs, but he wasn’t willing to fight me full force again. His promise to give me cows and horses for our farm helped win me. Gin tossed me a cold coke from the cooler.

 

“Let’s take a break; we’ve been at it for a couple of hours.” The second I pulled back, the blueberry bushes took up the hammers, nails, and posts. Then, with powerful vines, they began setting up the posts. I plucked a handful of berries off one of them and popped the tab on my coke.

 

Despite our superhuman abilities, the blueberry bushes had hundreds of limbs and thousands of eyes. They could coordinate and hammer nails in at an incredible pace. Each post was driven in with laser point precision without a millimeter out of place. The plants moved in a mass of winding tentacles, each seemingly with a mind of their own bent towards a greater goal. Having nearly a hundred of those bushes certainly cut down on labor. A few were working on a barn. I just gave them a blueprint, and they went at it. My plants were far more intelligent than I originally thought, and the more they developed, the more intelligent they became. Some were doing things I didn’t think were possible.

 

Small green cores of concentrated qi appeared within them, and afterward, the amount of qi I received from them increased. Each was a second generation of the original blueberry plant I grew. They didn’t just feed on the random crows but from those I had tamed, concentrating their qi further. It was true spirit beast cultivation advancement or, in other words, survival of the fittest. Having a thousand eyes and whiplike tentacles tougher than steel didn’t hurt their chances. Without the little blueberries hanging from their forms, it would be difficult to call them blueberry bushes any longer.

 

Their long limbs were covered with green leaves flexed like dragon scales. Each of the primitive eyes at the end of their stems had changed. Green sap covered them; occasionally, they blinked due to a set of feather-light leaves acting as eyelids. The creature's roots contracted to the base of its form when it wasn’t in the ground. When it found prey, its roots quickly latched on and absorbed nutrients. They hunted everything from rats to crows.

 

A green-eyed rat tried to ambush one, only to be snatched up and ripped apart in a blueberry bush’s roots. The green monster core in its body pulsed as a little more qi concentrated there, approaching the next stage in its monstrous evolution. The monster energy, or youki as I called it, played an essential part in their transformation. If they ever jumped the leash, hundreds would die before one was taken out.

 

Gin whistled. “I have to ask, are you a wizard who practices in the druid arts or a fey of some kind?” Gin asked.

 

“No, my power has a predisposition towards life. So I’m going to do the same thing to the cows. But don’t worry about the fence. It's more to deter students from getting in. The same power that makes them stronger and allows them to adapt rapidly to their environment gives me control over them.” I tossed some berries in my mouth, and they were even sweeter than they were a week ago. Maybe it was my qi sense or the slight jump in qi, but I really enjoyed them.

 

“Oh, they won’t attack students unless you want them to.” Gin said.

 

“I ordered them not to attack students, so they won’t. Do you like corn Gin?”

 

Gin raised an eyebrow. “I’ll eat it, but I prefer yams.”

 

“No yams, but I have a couple acres of corn, and I don’t need all of it. Well, I’ll just make some feed for the cows then. Then, once they get settled in, maybe I’ll move the corn in here. Are you sure your parents won’t mind?” I asked.

 

“They were worried that I wasn’t getting enough red meat; this would make them feel better. Where is Moka? I thought the two of you were attached at the hip?” Gin asked.

 

“She’s in art class with Ms. Ishigami teaches it,” I said.

 

Gin flinched, and he didn’t need to say a word. “I’m guessing she isn’t a good teacher.” 

 

“Well, some of the students who take her class go missing. It could be a coincidence.” Gin said.

 

I calmed my suddenly racing heart and cast my senses over yokai academy. Moka was no longer in the art room, and Kurumu was with her. The art class was over, and Moka wasn’t in any danger.

 

“She’s fine for today.” 

 

“You can tell from here.”

 

“Her youki is calm Ishigami is in her classroom. So, have you heard anything about the drug? I haven’t felt anyone else use it, so it might be out of yokai academy.”

 

“You can’t tell me you’re that naïve.” Gin said. 

 

“No, if I can’t sense them, they know how to hide from my senses. Once the first batch left your body, it had traces of your youki. That could mean the next monster will have your speed. Maybe that’s all they wanted here.” I said with a smile.

 

“Why didn’t you take it so no one else could?” Gin said.

 

“I didn’t want to touch it. You weren’t in your right mind before you took it, and you certainly weren’t afterward. Touching it might have made you like that, to begin with. So why did you take it?” I said.

 

“You were stronger than me, and I needed more power.” I shook my head. “Oh, you mean why did I take it from the dealer. Well, that’s simple, revenge. They killed or maimed everyone in my club and had us disband. We printed the truth, and it went against Kuyo’s justice. He burned them.” Gin said.

 

“I see I won’t hold back against Kuyo when I fight him. But who is stronger between the two of you, him or you with the drug?” I asked. 

 

Gin rubbed his neck. “I would like to say I could put up a good fight, but he would still be stronger. The drug helped but wasn’t enough to bridge the gap.”

 

A grin spread across my face at the thought of a good fight. When I fought Gin, I went non-lethal based on his youki. If Kuyo was even stronger and a bastard killer, there was no reason to go easy on him. I just hoped he didn’t go down in one hit; that would be boring. For all I knew, he could be the one behind the drug. 

 

“Well, we have a good headline then. Are the PSC peddling drugs? I’m sure that will get us all the attention we want.” 

 

“You want to antagonize him.” Gin said.

 

“Yes, I want to strike the first blow and take the moral high ground in a single move. We are the press, and I’m sure if we can get some pictures of the drug and post them, we’ll have all we need. We need a good headline and photos, and people will believe. After all, where there’s smoke, there is fire.”

 

“We can’t just make accusations without any proof.” Gin said.  

 

“Proof before or proof after the fact won’t matter Kuyo just has to let us investigate his headquarters from top to bottom to prove his innocence. I’ll do some investigative reporting and do some behind enemy lines scouting; it will be fun.”  I said.

 

“Why do you want him so bad? It can’t be because of my sob story.” Gin said.

 

“While it was sad, and my heart goes out to you, I was ordered to take him down by the headmaster. In exchange, he’ll give me some special privileges.” I turned my attention to the training ship and prepared to leave. “Later, Gin, we’ll hash out our revenge plans another time. I have to study for the exams tomorrow.” Gin looked troubled but waved back at me.

 

Back in the red light of my gravity room, I turned it up to 10Gs and pushed my aura out full throttle. Sweat started beading down my face as I struggled to hold up my aura. Using my power only in short bursts was no way to fight. Aura wasn’t supposed to be a powerup; it was my power and an expression of my qi. The aura manifestation skill was all about using my qi to alter the environment.

 

As my aura surrounded my body, I battled against the high gravity and only focused on keeping my aura going. That was the key to becoming stronger, grinding away my aura manifestation skill until its costs finally dropped to a manageable level. There were two ways to get to where I wanted to go. I could increase my qi supply and regeneration or raise the skill. Like a real man, I hit both ends after a lot of preparation. It took a long time for the second-generation blueberry patch to reach its current maturity. The fallen also helped, and constantly eating from my garden boosted my reserves. Using my qi to the point of exhaustion and recovering also greatly increased my reserves.

 

There were also two ways to really train aura. Aura could be used to protect its user by battling the environment, or it could be used through skills. At this point, it was best to battle my environment. I couldn’t hold my aura and move long enough to create a single aura sphere. So instead held still and battled the high gravity with my aura.

 

If only you had learned the cultivation methods back in the home world. You have the power to reach the higher realms. In exchange for stats, I’ve given your skills far greater potential and obtained the power to reach into alternate universes to acquire distant items and skills. Stats were not the only thing given up so we could break our Karmic bond with the first world. Perks are no more, but in exchange for them, I can give you a way forward in cultivation. But there is a system preventing me from actualizing a cultivation skill. I will establish a quest for you.

 

Quest: Shatter God’s System

Reward: Cultivation, 30 Gotcha 

 

 

Dear readers this is Ultimatedaywriter and I'm here to maximize your reading experience and help you get your fair share from this story. On my Patreon you'll fine chapters up to 26 and the first one is a dollar. Next Chapters On Patreon
Expect more chapters at least 1 monday and friday.

 

 

6