63. Two Birds
35 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Going out?”

Jake pulled his smaller backpack over his shoulders and steadied the weight on his back. After carrying all of his equipment for the Nest Raid for days within the tunnel, it was refreshing to have little to nothing tugging on his traps. It still wasn’t comfortable but his muscles didn’t ache or strain beneath the pack. If only the weight could be like this every time.

“I’ve got some things to get.” Jake turned to look at Yae, who stood with her hands folded neatly in front of her. Her hands were pressed together and her eye searched his face. He could see that she was a bit tense. It made him smirk. “I’ll come back.”

Her unsure expression must’ve been by accident. His sudden murmur flustered her. The girl looked away and down, turning her head to try and hide her embarrassment. Jake didn’t blame her. Neither for her worry nor for her reddened face. His habit of stepping out and vanishing into the tunnels was likely keeping her on edge. For him, it was easy- grab his gear, snatch a ticket from the board and make arrangements with one of the Attendants. Then, he’d be on his way. For her, it was far different. Waiting, waiting, and more waiting. The worried look on her face told him just how much she really cared. It told him that her words and feelings were genuine and that made hurting her so much more painful.

“Can I come with you?” The courageous words came out in a faint whisper, and Jake found himself caught off guard by them. While he had noticed her face, her hands, and the tension in her muscles- Jake failed to see that her clothes were different than usual. Her hair was tied up in a neat ponytail, her face was cleaned, and her nails seemed to glisten in the light. She even had a bit of smoothness to her cheeks. While Jake had eaten the breakfast she had made for him with Tul and Xul, Helena and Lydia must have taken her aside when he wasn’t watching.

“I owe you a date, don’t I?” Jake’s expression softened as he grabbed the handle of the door. He gave it a tug, pulling it open as he stepped to the side. Yae gave him a brief look before her lips curled upwards. She smoothly slid her feet into her shoes and huffed as she stood up to him.

“I guess,” she muttered, giving him an odd look before walking through the doorway. Jake shrugged and followed her, pulling the door closed softly behind him. Yae was walking ahead without waiting, per usual it seemed, so Jake walked quickly to take his place at her hip.

However, once he was there he felt a bit awkward. The words he normally had whirling around in his head were all gone. There was an eerie silence in his brain but his heart was thudding rather loud against his chest. A strange feeling bubbled within him. Yet, even as a storm rumbled within him- he felt calm. A faint, sweet, and silky scent coming from Yae brought him comfort.

“What’s on your list, hm?” Yae said, her eye turning towards him as she glanced at his pack. Jake shrugged and then hooked his hands into the straps of the pack, his thumbs pulling the weight snug against his body.

“First I need new clothes. I haven’t bought any since coming down here and it’s probably time I moved on from Hulgrok’s handouts.” Jake looked down at himself and grimaced. Indeed, since coming to the Ravine the clothing he wore had hardly changed. He had switched shoes and pants to better accommodate the change in terrain. However, the clothes provided by Hulgrok weren’t exactly the best of quality. On top of that, the shirt he wore was still his old village one that his Auntie had given him a few months back.

The shirt was originally a creamy white but now it was barely wearable. It was stained, ripped, frayed, and just abused. His tumbles, falls, cuts and scratches, and all manner of messes encountered with the Maedra had pushed the threads to their limit. If Auntie hadn’t woven his clothes so expertly, the shirt would have fallen apart long ago. The clothes given to him by Hulgrok weren’t much better. They were already messed up prior to him going out and fighting. Now they looked like scraps of cloth stitched together. His wardrobe was quite depressing of a sight.

Now that he had some money and was invested in helping Ewana, it was about time he invested in himself. His weapons and gear were obvious things he would need to put money towards but clothes were equally important. Hulgrok had given him some boots, a cloak, and gloves, but Jake needed stuff more tailored to his fit and his work. A nice, sturdy pair of pants with some pockets. A tunic that would keep him warm with a thin amount of protection, and maybe something beneath it to protect him from minor strikes from the Maedra.

“Are those clothes from your Village?” Yae leaned forward a bit as she looked him over. After seeing the state that they were in, Jake elected to not wear Hulgrok’s pants today. He instead wore his desert skirt as it was still in one piece. Noticing this, Yae eyed his skirt more than Jake would have liked but it was probably something unnatural to her from the beginning. Jake hadn’t seen other males wear skirts within Ewana. It was normal for him so he didn’t particularly care but he understood the irregularity to it.

“Yea. And they’re old.” He let out a sigh and tugged on his shirt a bit. “If I didn’t know heat magic, I’d probably freeze down here.” After falling into the Ravine, Jake became intimately familiar with how cold it could get within the stone walls. Thus, the moment he learned fire magic he learned also how to regulate his body temperature. It was a subtle fix and a simple mental adjustment he made but it kept him from getting too cold. It wasn’t perfect and there were plenty of times that Jake forgot to keep his temperature steady, but whenever he felt the nip of the Ravine he was quick to burn it away.

“I always thought they looked pretty cool,” she giggled as she flashed him a smile. Jake felt heat in his face and grumbled to himself as they walked along.

“Cool as in cold, sure.” The boy turned his head to look at a few other Oryx in the area and sighed. His clothing wasn’t cool in the least- it was children’s wear. Jake hadn’t been through the Adult Ritual yet nor had he been assigned a future job within the village. His Auntie’s influence had kept the Elders at bay and Jake was sheltered from it all. His Auntie had mentioned him working with her in the bazaar’s food tent but he didn’t like the idea of serving food and alcohol for a living. Dealing with travelers wasn’t something he was fond of. Most of the caravan merchants were kind and nice but the others could be quite eccentric.

Though, after spending time down in the Ravine- Jake could understand why. Adventurers weren’t normal people. Their lives brought them face-to-face with strange places and monsters, and they had to deal with a plethora of challenges constantly. Someone who sought after such uncertainty without much fear of dying was well and beyond the word “normal”. Crazy? Maybe a little. Foolish? Closer, but Jake thought of it more as a desire to feel a rush. Fighting the Maedra, scouring the tunnels for the next fight, and relishing in the aftermath. While he personally couldn’t quite celebrate much, he could understand the appeal.

“You know how I told you that Adventurers sometimes wind up here?” Yae asked, her hands meeting behind her back as she swayed slowly from side to side, her feet carrying her along as her shoulders flowed slowly back and forth.

“Yea?” She had mentioned it before and he had heard it from a few others, too, but only in minor conversation. He had yet to outright spot a party of Adventurers. Unless they were just really good at blending in. When Jake first arrived, his eyes hadn’t been trained on the little details of things. At first, he only believed there to be Oryx within the village but he was quite wrong. There certainly were other races present in the village; Humans, Elves, and a few Dwarves. Those individuals dressed similarly to the locals so Jake figured they were casual inhabitants of the place, rather than passersby.

“They always come in with such fancy clothes and weapons. The mages are always dressed in fancy robes. The warriors have bright and colorful armor. Those that use bows always have very pretty leather gear and elegant-looking bows.” She looked off into the distance, her mind flipping through the pages of her memory. “But most of all, they always had bright and shiny smiles. They tend to come looking for something in this place. I’ve never been quite sure of what. When they leave, they never come back so I can never tell what happens to them…” She let out a sigh and her shoulders drooped a little.

Well, if they never came back then that only meant one of two things- they either were successful or they were killed in the tunnels. Jake hadn’t come across any traces of other parties in the tunnels so far, so he chalked it up to they had escaped somehow. But that also begged the question as to how they even got into the village in the first place. Chul was the Guardian of the Ravine. His presence alone should have been a deterrent for the curious. Then again, the Ravine was massive. Chul couldn’t be everywhere at once and likely spent a lot of time keeping the Maedra in check. If someone was lucky or did their research they would have known this and could have slipped into the Ravine’s tunnels without having to cross paths with Chul.

There was also the possibility of additional entrances into the tunnels. The Ravine was massive, so massive that Jake had never seen either end of it. Stories of the Ravine said it cut through the entire continent but Jake had his doubts. If it was truly that massive, even Chul would have struggled to patrol such a gap. Unless he wasn’t the Guardian of the Ravine and maybe he was just the Guardian of that summoning circle? That would also explain how the Maedra still had such a large presence beneath the surface.

“I’d think they made it out somehow.” Jake had his doubts of how someone from the surface could survive fighting an enemy like the Maedra. However, after meeting Darius and Helena he wouldn’t cluster all Adventurers together with such a label. There were likely a plethora of capable individuals on the surface.

Was every party lucky enough to have such people? No, absolutely not. For every successful delve into the Ravine, there were likely dozens of failures and massacres that fed the Maedra forces. It was just natural for such a thing to happen. But, Jake could also understand if an experienced hunter of Maedra existed or a skillful party found a way to handle the creatures during their adventures. What such a party would want in this desolate place- now that was a true mystery.

“Really?” Yae’s face lit up, filled with hope in Jake’s words. He didn’t want to crush such a yearning ideal so he kept his negativity to himself and nodded. It was possible and that’s all she needed.

“There’s probably a few that did well enough. If they found this place then that meant they were capable of far more.” Also a fair assessment, Jake figured. Ewana wasn’t near the surface. It was buried quite deep within the Ravine, so he thought. Reaching this place was an achievement on its own, especially if the party did it without assistance from a local Oryx to guide or help them in the tunnels. If a party just randomly fought their way through the tunnels to this place then Jake considered them incredibly lucky.

“Well, better than getting here after almost drowning.” She jabbed, adding salt as she began to giggle and laugh.

“Hey-” Jake shot her a glare but Yae’s grinning face was turned away. She raised a nailed finger and pointed across the road and a few buildings up. Jake sighed and followed her hand to see where she was sending his attention off to.

“The seamstress is right up here.” The building was just like the others- made of stone and rock. However, like Hulgrok’s Smithy, the front of the building had a large windowed space with a few different outfits on display. A wooden door with an image of scissors and a needle crossing one another etched into its planks was held open by a rock, providing a more inviting look to the store. Several people were taking the invitation. Jake’s lips curled into a frown and twisted at the sight. He would likely have to wait.

“Any idea what kind of clothes you want?” Yae asked as the pair crossed the main street. Jake nodded and took a moment to look into the window. On display were three outfits. The first was a single-piece blue dress with a wide and frilly skirt. The middle was a pairing of baggy pants with drawstrings around the ankles and a similarly fluffy-looking shirt. The third was more what Jake needed.

The pants looked to be made of some more rugged threading with strong stitching that would hold together under duress, a leather belt strapped through a set of loops to keep the pants on the waist, and there were a few pockets with buttons keeping the flaps down. The shirt was made of similarly tough-looking fabric, the stitching concealed underneath. It was a pullover shirt, so no buttons in the front holding it closed. It came with a hood and buttons on the cuffs to allow for adjusting of the sleeve. There were even a set of pouches on the hips and on the left breast- each also with flaps that were buttoned down. A few modifications for dagger loops and Jake would certainly buy the outfit.

“I think I have an idea,” he muttered. Indeed he did.

The two walked into the seamstress’s store and were greeted by rows upon rows of thread, hats, sketched clothing designs tacked to the walls, and balls of yarn and colored string. There were several wooden stands showing off various dresses, shirts, pants, skirts, and leggings, and there were even shoes paired with certain clothes. While the place likely didn’t sell tailored shoes- they certainly matched the fits. Jake assumed that the cobbler next door would be the one to make the shoes. Jake wasn’t ready for the array of color his eyes were met with. Not in such a drab and dreary place beneath the surface.

“It’s perfect! Thank you so much!” An overjoyed customer smiled and clapped her hands together as her daughter spun around in a freshly made dress. A tall, lanky Oryx stood behind the counter, a prideful smile on her face as she watched the girl spin about. There were bags under her eye, wrinkles on her face showing off her age, and quite a number of scar marks on her hands from her tough work.

“I’m happy to hear, madam. Feel free to bring it back and I will mend the dress if there are any problems,” the seamstress shook hands with the satisfied customer. A moment later, money and a receipt were exchanged. Then, the mother and her daughter left. Another customer approached the counter when the transaction was finished so Jake decided to browse while he waited. Yae stayed at his hip, the two of them moving slowly through the long aisles of fabric, string, and designs.

“Oh, this is soft…” Yae whispered, her fingertips brushing over a slightly shimmering square of red. Jake reached over to give it a feel. While it certainly was soft, it was slick to the touch. He didn’t like it as much. It felt almost textureless. Like his fingers were gliding over it. The lack of grip, the lack of friction- it reminded him of freshly cut fat sliding off his blade.

“Nope,” he muttered, pulling his hand away. Yae huffed and shook her head. The two continued through the aisle, with Yae occasionally drawing Jake’s attention to different fabrics and dresses. While they certainly were out for Jake to find something to wear, Yae didn’t hide the fact that she wanted something too. Jake played the passive game with her, leading her along and acting as if he was missing every cue. He could see the growing annoyance on her face and it made him want to tease her more. Eventually, she shoved a dress design in his face, saying she liked the flower pattern. It made him chuckle.

“Nah, I don’t think it would look good on you.” Jake plucked the design from her hands and returned it to the wall it was pinned to. She rolled her eye and crossed her arms as if finally giving up. By this point, it was their turn. The customers speaking to the seamstress had thinned and she handled her final order before the shop was finally clear other than Jake and Yae.

Seeing this, Jake walked up the aisle they were in and grabbed one of the dresses he mentally agreed with Yae on. It was a bit shorter than the others but the smooth and more delicate design to it was far more attractive than anything poofy or frilly. Yae was no princess. Such designs would be more in the way than anything. Even now, she dressed in more practical looking clothes. The dress she wore was more tightly fitted and the skirt ended barely passed her knees. There was little design to speak of- it was a flat light blue color with a few white roses needled into the hem of the skirt. Nothing extravagant.

When she saw him return with the design, Yae’s eyebrow raised as she watched him walk past her. Jake flashed her a stupid smirk before stepping up to the counter. He placed down the paper in front of the seamstress and widened his smirk into a courteous grin.

“Good morning, miss. I’d like to place a custom order?” Part of Jake wanted to introduce himself first but he felt like it was unnecessary when conducting standard business. Maybe after one or two times, but he wouldn’t place his bets. If the quality of this woman’s clothes were up to par he wouldn’t need to come back. Well, so long as the Maedra kept their hands to themselves.

“Oh aren’t you a cutie,” the woman said with a lucious smile. Jake’s smile faded and he blinked.

“Huh?”

“I’m sorry, don’t mind me,” she cackled and placed her hands on the countertop, leaning onto it as she looked between him and Yae. “How may I help you two?”

Jake glanced over at Yae, who just shrugged at him. This was his conversation to have. He held back his discomfort and returned his attention to the seamstress. First- Yae.

“I’d like to order first a dress.” Jake nudged the paper forward, drawing the women’s attention to it. “This with some light flower designs?”

The seamstress eyed the paperwork, letting out a faint hum before she looked up and eyed Yae. Jake didn’t look over his shoulder but he could feel a slightly annoyed gaze piercing through his back. Keeping his desire to buy her a dress wasn’t really winning him points.

“Does the young lady have a type of fabric she likes?” The seamstress stepped around the counter, as if implying that she wanted to be shown rather than told. Yae obliged and led the woman up the aisle. Jake stayed at the counter, leaning against it as he watched the two talk over the dress. Yae gave the woman her preferred cloth, color palette, and even shared a few of the other dress designs that she liked in hopes that they could be incorporated into the dress. The seamstress plucked a pair of scissors from her waist pocket and snipped off various small pieces of string, fabric, and she even marked her arm with a red mark with numbers for the designs. With each question or request from Yae, the woman nodded and directed the young girl along, coaxing out the details for the dress.

By the time they were finished, Jake found himself nodding off at the counter. Though it was still morning, standing around doing nothing but stare and listen had made him tired. The two eventually returned with Yae far happier than she was before. Jake still didn’t intervene as they finalized the details, the cost, and the delivery time. The next step were measurements. Yae glanced at Jake, who was practically dozing off, and said something that he missed.

“We’ll be back,” the seamstress said as Yae walked to her side of the counter. Jake waved them off and put his head down against the counter. He got comfortable on top of a wooden stool that was set there, likely for kids, and shut his eyes. A few minutes of rest wouldn’t hurt so he let himself doze even further until he was truly on the border of falling asleep.

He was dangerously close to actually passing out when he felt a gentle hand on his shoulder. He urged his eyes to split open and he forced himself upright. Yae was there beside him and the seamstress was finishing with her notes. When she was finished, her attention turned and settled on the boy. It was finally his turn.

“Your lady has quite the eye,” the seamstress said with a smile as she stepped to the edge of the counter. Jake slid off the stool and then offered it to Yae, who accepted the seat.

“She does like flowers,” he said passively. The seamstress let out a hum as she looked Jake up and down.

“Now those clothes are different. From where are you?” Her question made him a bit uneasy but it was asked without malice. She was just curious.

“The desert.” He didn’t want to be too specific, even though he knew nothing would happen. He didn’t like the idea of his information and background being well known. Maybe when he had first arrived he wouldn’t have cared. Now things were a bit different. He understood the need to keep unnecessary details to a minimum. “I’m looking to find clothes more suited for down here.”

“Ah, a scout?” She asked, looking him over and acknowledging the pack on his back and the blades on his waist. Jake nodded.

“Close enough but yes. I need them a bit tight but not constricting and I need pockets.” Jake lead the seamstress into the far aisle and up towards the front of the store. He shared with her the desired fabric, the color, and even a few minor details he wanted to have included in the pants and shirt. He mentioned the drawstring around the ankles, the fact that he would be wearing boots, and the desire to have dagger loops added to the waist. The seamstress brought with her a piece of paper this time and marked down what she needed. When it came to the shirt, she wrote far less. Jake thought to question it but figured she had her methods. She was the professional, of course.

By the time he was done, the seamstress once more had a handful of fabrics and strings in her hand. She even pulled two shirts off the displays and she grabbed the pair of pants out of the window. Pickup for Jake would be in a week, three days after Yae’s dress was expected to be ready. However, the seamstress requested for him to stop in after three days. It seemed she would want his opinion midway through. She then asked him to strip so she could take his measurements. The boy found it a bit odd but if he wanted her to be accurate, he would comply.

He dropped his pack by the counter and stepped behind a curtain with her. She stopped him when he actually tried to take off his clothes, laughing and instead instructing him to just spread his legs and raise his arms. It seemed she enjoyed a bit of theatrics. Jake huffed and did as told. He spread his feet, lifted his hands, and sat still as she taped him. She noted down his sizes, made a few adjustments to her notes, and then told him they were finished.

She wrote him a pick-up slip and then put together an estimated fee for everything. As per her request, he paid half of the estimate and was told the final price would be given after the work was done. Satisfied, Jake and Yae left the store. Yae was a lot more quiet now, which gave Jake a few moments to think and recollect his thoughts.

“Thank you, Jake.” Yae lowered her head and tugged a bit on his sleeve. Jake smiled and gave her a gentle nudge as the two began to walk along the street again. This time, they walked in a familiar direction towards Hulgrok’s Smithy.

“You’re welcome, Yae. I hope you like it.” He dangled his arm, letting her grip at the sleeve of his shirt as they walked. It seemed that if he wanted a bit of peace and quiet, he would need to spoil her. The girl’s cheeks were rosy red and she practically clung to his side in silence as they walked through the early morning road. No berating, no teasing, no incessant questions. Just her happy smile and presence was enough to warm his heart. That gleeful face of hers was something, above all else, he never wanted to hurt.

A whiff of delicious food hit Jake’s nose and, even though he had had breakfast a short bit ago, he felt his stomach react pleasantly. Yae giggled at his side and looked towards the source of the smell- a small inn with a bar attached had its shutters and doors open. Doing so let the juicy smells from within flow out into the open air. Like a fisherman’s hook with bait dangling off the end, they likely hoped to catch a hungry nose.

“Shall we step inside?” Yae asked, but Jake shook his head and continued on.

“No, but I know just the place we can go for lunch.” Jake stilled owed money so if he was going to eat somewhere he would repay his debt at the same time.

Hulgrok’s Smithy was less energetic compared to the Seamstress’s shop. Only two Oryx were inside, and they were leaving as Jake opened the door. Politely, Jake and Yae moved aside and were thanked for doing so. The Oryx strolled away as Jake and Yae stepped inside. Hulgrok greeted them with a wide, bearded grin. He planted his hands firmly on his waist and let out a brief, booming laugh as Jake approached the counter.

“Looks tah me like ya lived, boy! What a surprise! And ya even brought yerself a little lassy!” Hulgrok leaned into his taunting and let out another barreling laugh. Jake sighed and dropped his pack at his feet. Yae mumbled a question but Jake just hushed her. Any distraction and he’d never get through this.

“I have a special request, Hulgrok, and I come to you because I know you can do it.” Jake flipped open the flap, but he didn’t reach in yet. Hulgrok’s taunting eyes gave way for a more serious expression. He grabbed onto his beard, his fingers coiling it up as he began to stroke it. His assistant stepped up to the counter from his little corner as well, looking down towards Jake’s pack. Though the boy hadn’t pulled the items out, the assistant could see the handles.

“Are those…” The assistant started to speak but a harsh glance from Jake cut him off. Jake didn’t elaborate just yet as he looked up towards Hulgrok. The Dwarf was eyeing the two blades on the boy’s waist- one the Dwarven, the other the Elven. An odd pairing no doubt.

“...What is it?” He asked. The stroking of his beard stopped, but Hulgrok continued to hold it as he coaxed Jake to continue. The boy obliged. He reached into his pack and pulled out Darius’s twin Elven swords. The broken blades glistened in the light, their elven metal giving off a faint, cold, blue glow as the light struck their spines. He placed them on the counter in front of Hulgrok. The Dwarf’s eyes narrowed and his hands lowered to the counter.

“I know these weapons,” he muttered. “Sid, go close the door.”

“Yes, Sir.” The assistant moved quickly around the counter and went for the front door. As he approached, a lively group of Warriors were laughing and stepping inside. “I’m sorry, gentlemen but we’re closed.” The assistant held up his arms.

“Hah?!” The front warrior balked. “I have a weapon to-!”

“GET OUT OF MAH SHOP!” Hulgrok’s voice thundered, silencing the backtalk. The Warrior’s face twisted into a harsh scowl but he listened and left with his friends. Sid apologized to them as he twisted the sign from ‘Open’ to ‘Closed’. Then, he locked the door. He remained beside it, turning to face inside as Hulgrok lowered his eyes back down to the weapons.

“Fer you to bring these to me…” Hulgrok rumbled, his thick, meaty paws reaching out towards the elven weapons. His fingers brushed over the metal as he looked at his own reflection within it. Hulgrok’s mouth opened and closed a few times but the words failed to come forward. There was much he looked like he wanted to say. He didn’t seem able to muster the strength to say any of it.

“...He was a good friend,” the Dwarf huffed as he frowned. “Never quite liked Elves but he was one I could drink with. He didn’t have that haughty or pompous attitude like the rest of them.” Hulgrok paused for a moment, letting out a long sigh as he looked up towards Jake.

“Helena?” He asked.

“She’s fine. Her and Lydia are recovering and preparing to teach me a few things. She said she’ll be leaving afterwards though. She wants to go back to where Darius is from to tell them.” Helena had explained her plan to him and Jake found it quite admirable of her, but from her history with Darius, Jake understood. Helena would take responsibility for notifying Darius’s family of his passing. He just hoped it would go smoothly for her.

“That is good to hear,” Hulgrok’s pained face brightened, if only a little, and he once more looked down at the blades. “These weapons look quite different than when I last saw them. They look shorter than usual.”

“They were broken in the fight. I was wondering if you could fix them?” At his question, Hulgrok’s bushy eyebrows lifted.

“Ya want me to work on Elvish metal?” He asked, astonished.

“Is there a problem with that?” The boy was a bit confused as to the response. Yae sighed, as if fully understanding what the issue was. She tapped his shoulder to get his attention.

“Elves and Dwarves don’t get along, you know.” she said flatly. Jake blinked, confused.

“What? Why?” Jake looked at both of them, only for Yae to sigh again and for Hulgrok to start laughing. Jake wasn’t exactly educated in the history of the Races or their politics. Both because of his sheltered and isolated upbringing and it wasn’t exactly high on his list of things to care about.

“Ya boyfriend is a idiot, I see.” Hulgrok cackled. Yae shook her head. “Call it bad blood, boy. The Elves betrayed the Dwarves long ago and left our kind to fend fer ourselves, even when we had helped and bled for them. They wouldn’t do the same fer us. Years later and things haven’t changed. But, I’ve lived away from the Mountains fer so long it doesn’t quite bother me.” Hulgrok’s eyes lowered to the blades again and he placed his hands down on them. “Neither did it bother him…” His voice trailed off as a friendly smile came forth.

“I’ll fix them fer ya. Might add some dwarf touch, if that’s alright.” Hulgrok plucked the weapons from the counter and began to twist them in his hands, his eyes already taking in the small details as he put a plan together.

“I would like that,” Jake said with a smile.

“Aye. I think he would, too.” Hulgrok hopped down from the stool he was on and then carried the weapons into the back room, his forge was already alight. The dwarf returned a short moment later and climbed up onto his stool again. “What else can I do fer ya boy? Something for the lass?”

“No, that was all.” Jake closed the flap to his pack and then shouldered it. Without the swords, it was much lighter and practically empty. Hulgrok nodded and then motioned for Sid to open the door again. The assistant did as told.

“I’ll have it ready in a few days for ya, boy. Don’t bring ya lass with ya.” Hulgrok glanced to Yae. “Not anything against ya, but there is somethin’ I need tah speak with yer boy about.”

“It’s okay. Thank you, Mister Hulgrok.” Yae folded her hands neatly in front of her and bowed her head. Hulgrok let out a booming roar of a laugh as he pounded his belly.

“Gotcha a pretty one, an’ she’s polite?!” Hulgrok howled. Jake grumbled and rolled his eyes.

“Thanks, Hulgrok. I’ll come back in a few days.” Jake turned away from the counter and headed for the door. He stepped aside and let Yae leave first. Before he could step out, Hulgrok called for him.

“Boy-” Hulgrok spat. Jake stopped and turned to look over his shoulder. “Was it a worthy end like he always wanted?”

Jake clenched his teeth and stared at the Dwarf. The scene replayed in his mind- the sight of the Maedra overwhelming Darius, crushing his limbs and shattering his blades before smashing in his skull. He even remembered Darius’s final outcry. But, above all, Jake remembered how he had told Helena to get out of the tunnel. That meant Jake was the only one to see how Darius had fallen. If that were true…

“He brought a lot of them with him, so I’d like to think so.” Then he would spin it into a worthy tale to tell. Hulgrok’s lips peeled back as he grinned wide.

“Aye. I can drink to that.” He chuckled heartily, which brought a smile to Jake’s face. The boy bowed his head and then stepped out, pulling the door to the Smithy closed.

“He seems nice.” Yae stared up into the window of the Smithy, her eyes glazing over the armor and weapons on display. Hulgrok had put some generic stuff in view so the products visible didn’t quite reflect what he was truly capable of. For the average Warrior the equipment most likely looked good enough but Jake found it odd. Jake would have thought the Dwarf would want his best quality work to be seen from the street to attract customers. Unless it was all his ploy. He did seem like the type to award a curious eye.

“Oh…” Jake muttered, his eyes catching on the finer details. The armor indeed was of lower quality than Hulgrok could truly produce, but that was because it wasn’t Hulgrok’s product. The blacksmith initials on the armor were different- the equipment was Sid’s. Did that mean Sid wasn’t just some assistant, but was actually the armorer?

“Something wrong?” Yae gave Jake a nudge but the boy shook his head.

“No, but I think I just learned something else today other than history.” Jake chuckled as he led Yae from the Smithy. Yae hummed at him softly, her eye narrowing as she contemplated whether or not to pry. When Jake ignored her staring, she let it go.

The two wandered through the village together for a few hours after their stop at the Smithy. They did a bit of shopping for some accessories, checked in at the Bank to verify Jake’s identity and to ensure his account with them was open, and then they went to the outskirts to spend time beside the water. Jake’s little square training room was still there, too, but Jake didn’t show it to Yae. She had prodded him a bit to see inside but Jake told her it was just an empty block he had made to practice. A clear lie, as there were runes etched into the thing and remnants of alert runes all around it. After a few hours passed, Yae’s stomach gurgled and the two decided it was time for lunch.

Jake knew just the place. A tiny door in a cramped alley that led to a similarly cramped space with only three stools placed in front of a tiny counter space. A Rat carrying a knife in its tail was drawn on the door. Inside, a young girl sat on the far left stool, a set of colored sticks crossing the paper. Behind the counter, an older Oryx sat reading a book in silence. The air was clean and a sweet incense filled it. The atmosphere was far less heavy this time around.

Seeing the two customers, the older Oryx perked up and peeked over the top of her book. A sly smile crossed her face as she recognized Jake. Jake returned the smile with one of his own.

“A bit cramped, isn’t it?” Yae mumbled. Jake nudged her inside and let the door close behind him. He dropped his pack along the wall, out of the way.

“It’s fine,” Jake said as he continued to nudge her towards the counter. By the time he took his seat beside the young girl, Deris was standing there waiting for them.

“Well hello again. I see you brought a guest!” Deris smiled to Yae and offered the seat. Yae smiled awkwardly as she sat down.

“Came by to repay what I owe.” Jake set down a small coin sack, one he had taken during his stop at the bank. The Oryx dealt in a currency made up of soft metals found in the Ravine. It wasn’t actually money and Jake doubted it would have any value outside of the Ravine but for those that had nothing to trade or offer in return it would pass.

From what Jake had been told by the bank, the currency acted more as promissory notes from the Council itself. Inhabitants of the Ravine were mostly self-sufficient. Villages were standalone and could survive without contact with outside areas for long stretches. Each Village had just the right amount of supplies and skilled individuals to function. Thus, since it was isolated, currency meant little. Villagers could easily trade goods and services to get what they needed.

The coins and money of the Ravine was passed out from the Council to individuals that could not add to the Village’s resource pool. One example were the Warriors and Scouts. Both drew on the Village’s food stores but neither added to it. Their sole task was to protect the village. While some made it a point to retrieve materials while out on their missions, the vast majority returned empty handed with empty stomachs. These individuals, with nothing to offer or trade, relied on currency to purchase goods and food. Merchants and others who were paid in currency rather than goods could then turn their currency back in to the Council for benefits and additional goodies that the Council had from the surface.

It was a makeshift system with plenty of loopholes and lots of margin of error, but it worked for the most part. The Village continued to function and those who lived within it did so with little hardship. A few struggled to make ends meet as they lacked any form of skill, but the Village did little to assist them. In a place where resources were scarce, it was on the individual to survive and to figure it out for themselves. Even the Council turned away from those who begged. If one wanted to eat, then they needed to pull their share of the weight.

Along with the internal economy of the Village, White Tunnels connected Villages together and allowed traders and merchants to move freely between them. Much like the caravans of the desert, Traders could move from Village to Village selling wares and goods from other places. Every so often a set of traders from the Village of ‘Balata’ would show up. Balata was known to be near the surface and a surface city was practically on top of it. Thus, surface goods and people would flow down into the Ravine. However, Balata was extremely far away. A one way trip took nearly two months and that wasn’t counting time spent within the few spotty villages along the way.

The bank had provided quite a bit of insight to the underground world of the Ravine and Jake was surprised to learn just how diverse the community was. It was as though an entire country was functioning beneath the surface of the Overworld, with the Maedra living within the gaps. Jake knew of the grit of the Oryx and their determination to survive against the Maedra. However, it was mind boggling to think of how widespread the Oryx were. Especially knowing that Ewana was in dire straits at the moment. Ewana was a decent sized village and if it was struggling, he wondered how the other places were surviving.

“Always a rare sight to see someone actually come back and pay,” Deris plucked the little bag off the counter and then placed two menus out in front of her patrons. Jake didn’t look at it- he knew what he wanted. Yae, though, looked down and started to glaze over the short list of options.

“I said I would and I don’t quite like to lie.” Jake nudged the menu back towards Deris. “I’ll have the special, please.”

“I will too,” Yae set down the menu, a bit unsure of what to get but she didn’t seem to care much.

“Coming right up,” Deris retrieved the menus before stepping into the cooking area. “So? How was your little trip?” Jake tensed up a bit, his eyes drifting towards Yae unconsciously as he recalled his prior conversation here.

“It uh… It went alright,” he said somewhat dodging the question. Deris hummed at him.

“Oh? Sounds like you had some struggles.” She prodded, digging in and fishing for more.

“You can say that again,” Yae huffed, planting her elbow on the counter as her feet began to swing. Jake shot her a pleading look. He really didn’t want Deris to get stirred up.

But the woman tickled the bait and laughed.

“Trouble at home?” She said, stepping out of the kitchen with a towel around her hands. She cleaned them off and then started a timer on the counter.

“A few hiccups, but nothing major.” Jake shrugged. Yae stared at the side of his face. Deris glanced over at the girl, a sly smile crossing her face.

“I see,” Deris hummed. She set two glasses out and filled them both up with water. Jake swallowed half of his in a quick drink, trying to quell the sudden thirst he had. “Well, at least this time you aren’t crying all over yourself.” Deris’s taunt made Jake’s face redden.

“Wait, that’s not-!” He tried to argue, but Yae was already falling for it.

“Crying, huh?” She cooed, her softened and unenthused tone scratching at his ear drum. He needed to defend himself, and quick.

“Oh yes. Like a small baby he crawled into this fine little establishment of mine and practically sprawled out on my counter. He even begged for food!” Deris’s devilish smile only grew as she fanned the flames.

“No! I just came in asking for food and some advice is all. I wasn’t crying or anything like that!” He felt desperate and cornered. The cramped space of the room wasn’t particularly helping either.

“That explains him owing money,” Yae hummed and poked at Jake’s side. “So you ran away from me to come whine your sorrows away to someone else?” As if sensing that Deris was on her side, Yae must have decided to continue to pour on the oil.

“I just wanted some help was all. And I was hungry. Multitasking! I was multitasking!” He pushed her incessant finger away, pushing back against her hand as she tried to dig at him more. As if satisfied with her starting the fire, Deris smiled and slipped back into the kitchen.

“All that talk and bravado but you just ran off to some other woman to coddle you, huh?” Yae’s tone was much flatter now and her eye bore into him. Her finger continued to press forward, her nail twisting and pressing into his palm as he kept her at a bit of a distance.

“Advice, Yae. I needed advice,” he stuck to his story, trying his best to minimize the damage he was taking.

“Advice, hm?” She rumbled. “Can’t solve your own problems any more?”

“Hey now, that’s a reach.” Jake curled his fingers down and grabbed onto Yae’s hand gently, gripping it and holding it in place in the air. Doing so was far easier than letting her stab him. “Deris was kind enough to offer me some of her words of wisdom. Who would I be if I said no?”

“An idiot.” Deris and Yae answered in unison.

The young girl off to Jake’s left suddenly giggled. Jake sighed and let go of Yae’s hand. Her finger immediately found his side. But, instead of digging, her hand spread open and she rubbed at him gently.

“See? I told you that you could lean on others,” Yae mumbled. Deris must have heard that because she let out a laugh.

“He must not listen very well,” Deris began to chop up vegetables behind her small curtain, the sound of her knife’s cutting echoing through the room. “I told him the same thing.”

“I try to listen, sometimes…” Jake mumbled, his shoulders slumping forward as he sighed. The young girl to his left giggled and poked at his arm. He looked over to see her staring up at him, her teeth flashing through her wide smile.

“Big brother is a dummy!” The young girl exclaimed. Jake’s lips pressed together and he placed his hand on her head.

“Focus on your drawing, you,” he muttered, ruffling her hair and nudging her toward her coloring. The girl pawed at his hand and giggled some more before she returned to the paper.

“Big brother, huh?” Yae whispered in his ear. The hair on his neck stood up, the proximity of her voice and scent was dangerous.

“A joke, it was a joke.” He spat back, trying to brush it off. Yae wasn’t biting. She just stared at him with a partial smile, as if enjoying the sight of conflicted pain on his face. Jake grumbled and planted an elbow down on the counter, dropping his cheek into his palm. “I came here for food, not to be attacked.”

“You can do both. Multitasking.” Yae jabbed. Jake groaned and pushed his face into his hand. She let out a giggle, enjoying his bit of suffering.

A short few minutes passed of her continuous jabs before he was given a brief reprieve. Deris stepped out with their food and set out an array of plates in front of them and an assortment of meat and veggies organized onto both. Yae’s eye widened as she was pleasantly surprised by the meal.

“Eat up, you three.” Deris said as she also placed a pair of plates in front of the little girl. The girl happily set aside her coloring and immediately began to eat the food given to her. Deris flicked her forehead and scolded the girl for eating too quickly.

“Sorry Auntie,” the girl mumbled. Jake’s hands stopped as he reached for his fork. The boy stared down at his food, his mind suddenly whirling as his own Auntie’s face came to the front of his thoughts. His lips squeezed together and he placed his hands down on the counter. Both Deris and Yae caught on to his odd movements and stared at him.

“Jake?” Yae placed a hand on his shoulder. Jake looked over to the young girl, watching as she dug into the meal set in front of her. He smiled and then placed his hand on top of Yae’s.

“It’s nothing.” He peeled her hand off him and then nodded toward her food. “Eat. I’ve got something I need to do afterward.” Yae eyed him for an extra second before she returned to her food.

“Don’t choke on your food,” Deris teased before returning to the kitchen. Jake rolled his eyes and started to eat. With food in front of them, the room grew quiet. Deris cleaned up the kitchen while her three mouths filled themselves and she returned when Jake was halfway through. Without a word, she refilled their water and then sat down in her chair. She opened her book and returned to reading. Jake stole a look at the cover and the spine, but they were both missing any words. The fabric over the cover was worn away, the leather straps barely holding the pages together. The yellowing of the pages themselves told Jake that the book must have been quite old. He was tempted to ask about it but he wasn’t much of a book person. Unless it had something to do with magic, he wasn’t interested.

“That was delicious.” Jake finished his meal quickly and without much pause. Yae, on the other hand, savored her food and praised Deris for the meal. Deris smiled and collected their plates.

“Glad to hear. Would you two like dessert?” She asked while also turning away. Yae glanced toward Jake but the boy shook his head. They had other things to do.

“Not today but thank you for the meal, Deris.” Jake slid out of his stool and stepped over to his pack. He plucked another coin bag from the side pouch and then set it on the counter. Yae huffed, displeased that she wouldn’t be getting any sweets. Jake just hoped she wouldn’t complain too much or try to guilt trip him. He already knew he’d fall for the honey trap.

“Well, it was nice to see you again, Jake. Thank you for stopping in.” Deris returned after a few moments and flashed him a joyful smile. The young girl hopped off her stool and stepped up to Jake. It caught him off guard when she hugged him, her little arms wrapping around him as she squeezed him. Jake felt a bit awkward but returned the hug anyways.

“Bye-bye!” She peeled away after a few moments and offered up a toothy smile. Jake returned the smile with one of his own.

“Bye-bye,” he gave her a little wave as he shouldered his pack.

“Thank you for the meal, madam.” Yae bowed her head to Deris, thankful for the pleasant time. Deris nodded.

“Come back any time, dear. With or without him, I’ll be sure to serve you something nice.” Deris picked up the little coin bag and set it down over by her chair.

With that, the two left the Tucked Rat and began to make their way back towards the main street again. Jake was the one who was quiet this time, electing to not say anything self-increminating and to also hopefully minimize any teasing. Yae must have caught on because she couldn’t quite stop smiling, or bumping into him. Before they reached the end of the alley and entered the noisy street, Yae leaned against him a bit more forcefully. Jake rumbled but supported the weight as they walked.

“I’m happy for you, Jake,” Yae whispered to him. Jake looked over at her but she was staring straight ahead. “When I first met you in the tunnel, you looked so lost and scared. Desperate to find your friend.” Yae tugged on his sleeve and stopped walking. Jake did the same so as to not let her stumble and fall. He kept quiet, letting her speak.

“When I saw you cry over him in that cave and fight so desperately against the Beasts, I was scared. I was scared of you and scared of what would happen if we brought you to Ewana…” she trailed off, pausing as she collected her thoughts. “But I trusted my instincts. Something told me not to be afraid and not to leave you alone. After today, after seeing you walk around this place… After seeing you struggle so hard for Ewana, for all of us…”

She leaned up and planted her lips gently against his cheek. Jake’s jaw tensed up and his heart thumped roughly against his chest.

“I’m happy for you.” She smiled up at him, her cheeks reddening as she waited for what he would do. Jake stared down at her, at her shimmering eye. A lump gathered in his throat as he struggled to find the words. Something was telling him to say nothing, though.

“Actions mean more to us than words, Jake. Remember that.”

Jake’s teeth pressed together for a moment as he took in a slow breath. Then, he leaned down towards her. Her arm wrapped around his and he felt her warmth wash over his body. All of the tension on his shoulders loosened. All of the doubts and worries in his mind went quiet. All of the pain in his chest went numb. The noise of the world faded. All he could feel was her body leaning into his. Even after eating a meal of mostly meat and veggies, Yae’s lips tasted so deliciously sweet. Far more than any dessert he could have asked for.

They lingered there, entwined together for a long but dreadfully short moment in time. A moment where he felt as though they were in their own little world. He didn’t want to pull away from her, fearful that he might never get the chance again. But, Yae didn’t have such fear. She savored his lips for as long as she was happy to and then placed her free hand gently on his cheek. With a soft squeeze, she pulled herself back and grinned up at him. Still, just inches away from his face, her eye gazed into his.

“Good boy,” she giggled. Almost as if she had been waiting for far too long for this moment and was finally getting what she wanted. Jake felt a heat fill his face and his lips squeezed together. She’d got him.

Jake pulled back and turned his head away. He let out a defeated groan while Yae began to giggle and laugh at him. He tugged a bit at his arm, which in turn caused her to wrap even more tightly around it. Defeated and at a loss of how to deal with this woman, Jake began to walk with her latched to his side.

3