68. Survival Enhancement
33 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Three days. Three days to gather whatever supplies he would need in order to assault the Maedra nest. He had everything he might need, aside for food, but the added time crunch would definitely cut into the crafting times for his updated equipment and clothing. He had just turned in his orders to Hulgrok and the seamstress and his orders weren't going to be done quickly. Hulgrok may be finished but Jake's clothes certainly would not be. He considered whether to ask for the order to be rushed, but doubted she would be able to. For now, he would fight with what he had. The clothes he already owned worked well enough. His weapons would do fine as well.

So, instead Jake found himself with three days to prepare himself physically, mentally, and magically. Casting aside his initial hesitation to return to the Library, Jake found himself instead rushing towards it. He returned to his make-shift hut on the outskirts of the village and sealed himself inside. He did not place any alert sigils around the box nor did he leave any signs of having locked himself inside. The boy made sure to bring some food. Then, he quickly made his way into the Library, closing his eyes and diving into the inner reaches of his mana flow.

Jake’s offensive magic was developed enough to sustain open warfare against the Maedra. However, he lacked defensive and support capabilities. The boy could hunt and kill the Maedra but if he were to have to do it with a team, he would be unable to assist them beyond helping with their fighting. On top of that, the majority of his spells affected a wide area. It was likely that Jake would injure anyone near him, unless he was using basic spells, like Fireball. In such close quarters, Jake needed to refine that part of his magic.

Thus, he stepped into the main room of the Library with a short checklist of things he would need to research; attack spells with singular impact or targeting capabilities, barriers and protective skills, healing spells or recovery magic, and reinforcement magic. In his mind, he knew he had his hands full. Yet with time being slowed in the library, Jake hoped it would be enough.

The hardest of them all would be healing and recovery magic. He had learned early on that such magic was intricate and required not only a high level of mana control but also an in-depth knowledge of the target’s anatomy. A strange detail since the Oryx were capable of using recovery magic almost instinctively. Why? How? Or was the level of healing different between what the Oryx knew and what was available in the library? Jake agreed that the Oryx’s healing magic likely wasn’t as gallant as one might think if he were to compare it to say the Seraphym’s recovery capabilities, as the Seraphym were the supposed “Masters of Light Magic”. But he found it odd that with such a low level of intelligence in comparison to what was the assumed “minimum requirement”, the Oryx were able to achieve some level of success.

Did that mean recovery magic wasn’t as difficult as he thought? Or was the mage he had originally learned that information from wrong? A possibility, of course. Yet Jake had no reason to doubt the information. It had been in a Fundamentals of Magic book. Why include that information in an introductory level book if it was incorrect? Was it done in order to spread misinformation on purpose? Or maybe they didn’t understand recovery magic enough to say otherwise? Also a possibility.

Light magic was something Jake regarded as "high-tiered" magic. It was difficult to understand, difficult to use, and required a large pool of magic to properly use. Unless one could decipher the Seraphym texts or stumble across a translated copy, it would be nearly impossible to learn the magic. Hence the probability was low that there were any Light magic users lurking within the Overworld. Perhaps a few people could read and understand the texts, but those that could actually cast them would be very few. Maybe a few hundred? Jake wasn’t sure nor was he inclined to waste brain power thinking about it.

Yet magicians had found ways to skirt around the need for understanding Light magic itself and had somehow developed recovery magic in their own ways. Making use of makeshift sigils, controlling mana to influence recovery, and using brute force. The sigils used by some recovery magicians were a sort of mashing of water, wind, and earth magic. They were rough, sharp, and messy. They focused instead on enhancing the body's natural recovery or utilizing the elements to at least control the blood loss caused by injury and seal wounds. The same was done with mana-influencing techniques. Mana was poured directly into the wound. Then, the mana would stir the body into either accelerating the recovery process, or the healer would convert the mana into life essence to assist the process artificially.

Other methods were less desirable but effective at prolonging life expectancy. From burning the wounds with flame, sealing them with dirt or rock, and cleaning the injuries with water before sewing the wounds shut. Methods that were quick, dirty, but capable of at least buying time while the patient was moved to someone more skilled.

As he searched for knowledge, Jake found that the world had developed a variety of ways to deal with the recovery magic problem. None of them could be considered efficient or truly effective. They were just ways to try and increase the field survival rate of soldiers and adventurers. Nothing advanced. Nothing worthwhile. Without control or knowledge of Light magic itself, the unorthodox methods tiptoed around the actual problems they were created to solve. However, there was an upside. The acknowledgement that recovery magic sucked and could not be relied on.

Almost all recovery magic was developed with one goal in mind; to stabilize the injury and the person until a more advanced healer could be reached. Though the magic portion was terrible, medical practices had advanced in most regions to make up for where magic fell short. Jake learned that most doctors had learned to combine physical surgery with recovery magic to perform feats that only Light magic was once thought to be able to perform. Jake discovered, for example, the ability to reattach limbs. So long as it was done fast enough, a skilled doctor could sew a limb back into place and then use magic to recreate the connection. While it wasn’t always reliable or effective, depending both on the timing of the severing and the location of the cut itself, it was possible. Something Jake found quite surprising.

Yet for Jake, such frugal methods wouldn’t work in the long run. Not for what he needed. Thus, the boy cast aside the lower and makeshift methods instead for Light magic itself. In turn, Jake acknowledged the need to learn the anatomy of the individuals he would likely be treating; the Oryx, Dwarves, Elves, Humans, and even Daemons. Mur and Wyicks were the only two he would likely need to aid from that race and the two were capable warriors. However, Jake would take no chances. Not against the Maedra.

In the upper levels of the Library, Jake found that there was quite a collection of studies done on the various races. Two entire shelves were dedicated to research done on the species of the world. There was a large collection of monsters, animals, and intelligent races available, and he stopped to admire them all. To think that life was so diverse. So many people, things, animals, and beasts inhabited the planet. A world Jake once thought was no bigger than his village and the surrounding desert. Jake found books on fish, birds, and insects. Creatures known as Gnolls, Dire Wolves, Dire Rats, Orcs, Gripplis, Stirges, Undines, and Carbuncles. Beings with names that Jake couldn’t pronounce or even imagine what they might look like. It was incredible.

“Wow…” Jake murmured, his fingers gliding over the books as he moved slowly from one shelf to the next. Each book varied in size, revealing the various levels of research committed to each of them and the availability of information. Some species had multiple volumes or specific research done on certain topics. Though what Jake found most astounding was the time invested in the Intelligent Races. From just a visual glance at the books available, Jake could tell how much information was known about the different races. Dwarves didn’t have a lot on them and Elves weren’t much better. Humans, however, had several thick books full of information. Daemons were largely unknown and Seraphym were in a similar state. Halflings were up there with Humans.

Jake was also introduced to several others from Murfolk to Gnomes to Tieflings to Ratfolk. Dozens of races and species considered to be above Monsters and Beasts in intelligence level, capable of creating their own societies. No matter where he looked, Jake found a new name, a new potential race to encounter, and a new potential foe to prepare for. It made him both excited and fearful. Excitement for the future and the possibility of meeting all of those races. Fear that he might find an enemy among them more dangerous and capable than the Maedra.

This reaffirmed his need to train, to elevate his magic, and to always be prepared for the battles ahead. If there were this many potential beings out there in the Overworld, he could only imagine how many weren’t documented, lurking just out of sight and in the shadows, waiting to be stumbled upon.

Though the inner child in him desired more time to study and learn about these new beings, Jake forced himself to pull down just the books he needed. He collected books on medical research and anatomical knowledge of the races he would be dealing with and quickly retreated from the towering shelves. Fueled by his desire to learn more, Jake quickly retreated to his study room and began to engross himself in his work.

To start, Jake learned about humans first. Among all the races he had seen, humans had the most medical knowledge collected about them. As a human himself, Jake figured he could use it both as a baseline and to increase his own survival. Then, he would study the Oryx and see where the comparisons were. By forming those connections, Jake would be able to streamline his treatment and easily bridge his recovery skills from one race to the next. Comfort with the knowledge here would be key and Jake would need to be very careful. When it came to recovery magic, he wasn’t dealing with the lives of enemies that he could simply push aside. No. He would be dealing with friends and allies. People he cared for.

In some ways, Jake was even more scared to learn now than he had ever been. Mistakes with recovery magic would lead to the loss of a life he would never be able to forget. It could ruin a family, cause an orphan to be made, and could possibly cause an individual to lose something precious or necessary to their own life. Jake wouldn’t be able to become a competent doctor overnight, that would be impossible. However, he would learn what he could to at least be better than the average healer.

When it came to the Maedra, most basic treatments were futile. He would need to learn such skills, of course, but Jake wouldn’t be dealing with such minor injuries. No, he would be dealing with lost limbs, crushed bones, and torn flesh. Major potential injuries that could lead to death or lifelong impairment. And to reach that level, Jake would need to not only dive deep, but also prepare himself mentally for the strain. If he failed, he would need to carry that burden. Oh how that thought made him respect the healers so much more…

“Alright, here we go…” He mumbled, turning the first page in his book while also grabbing the pen he would use to take notes.


 

Minutes turned to hours and hours turned to a day. Fully engrossed in his studies, the clock ticked by without pause. Jake paced and scribbled, mumbled and questioned. The room, originally neat and orderly, became a mess of paper and books scattered across the table, floor, and the walls. Several fairies appeared to offer assistance, but they were asked only to fetch other books for the boy to read. He progressed smoothly, quickly, and found that his original expectations were rather close to the outcome he had reached.

Recovery magic was far more than he bargained for. However, it was something necessary and imperative to not just his own survival, but the survival of those he would potentially travel with. The baseline knowledge was rather easy to grasp. He found that most creatures shared the same key internal body structures with a few details making each unique.

For the Oryx, they were practically humans except for their singular eye socket, their thinner and shorter frames, and a different type of skin that had evolved due to the lack of available sunlight. The majority of other races followed the same sort of standard. Internal organs and the workings of the bodies were largely the same. However, they had each adapted to their unique environments by developing different skin, body frames, and traits to enhance their survival within those environments.

Creatures in the water developed gills and the ability to absorb oxygen through their skin. In volcanic regions, creatures grew thicker, more durable skin that protected them from the high temperatures. Their bodies also adapted to retain moisture deep within their bodies rather than at the upper levels of their skin. Creatures from the desert and water-less areas developed the ability to store water or had increased fat stores somewhere on their bodies to deal with the long droughts they had to deal with. Creatures in darker areas developed night vision, adapted to the colder air, and found other ways to navigate without light.

Along with the different traits, the creatures' internal digestive tracts adjusted to match their place in the local food environment. In addition, their metabolisms changed to match the availability of food. Those in more plentiful regions had higher caloric burn rates compared to those in places like the desert or in the mountains. Diets in those plentiful regions varied and became very clear cut with diversity; herbivores and carnivores. While the less fortunate developed more omnivorous diets to account for the lack of food and the need to eat whatever they could. It wasn’t exactly surprising but Jake found it interesting to learn just how life adapted to the circumstances it had to deal with. Survival was a constant struggle but life seemed to find a way.

As for the research he truly needed to do, Jake learned that the majority of the races he would likely be dealing with were largely the same in basic structure and needs when it came to care. The outliers would be easy to point out due to the racial traits each had and Jake would be able to adjust to them accordingly. For instance, Jake would know that an Elf patient would be more reactive to his healing magic due to their increased mana density. Beastfolk would have specific care needs based on the beast race they branched from, such as Cats being more sensitive to touch and Dogs likely needing to be sedated. A few details here and there Jake would memorize in time. The more he encountered various races, the more he would learn about their individual needs.

With the Oryx being so similar to humans, they could be treated in a similar manner. Though, their mana conductivity was far less due to their overall lack of magic capabilities. Thus, treatment would be more costly on the healer’s end. To tend to even minor wounds, Jake would need to utilize almost twice the amount of mana. For even more intricate procedures, that cost would only get higher. No wonder their healers were so weak. Regardless, Jake had the mana for it and would do his best to try and develop a way for the other healers to replicate his work. Perhaps if he simplified the spells, they would be able to follow his efforts.

A hope that proved to be near impossible. After his initial research into the bodies of his potential patients and a brief study of how they each might respond to his magic, Jake found a plethora of Light magic books focused on recovery magic. There were no introductory books. Instead, he learned that healing magic was broken down into six categories: Physical Restorative Spells, Mana Stabilization, Detoxification, Mind Recovery, Life Force Enhancement and Immuno-Boost Spells, and Regenerative Spells.

Physical Restorative Spells aimed to promote the natural healing of the body by increasing the body's ability to heal injuries and wounds while minimizing damage. From what could be discerned, it worked by stabilizing the loss of blood and increasing the body’s cellular growth rate. The process also worked hand in hand with the body’s own natural immune system. This helped decrease the risk of infection by boosting the body’s immune response to bacterial or viral attacks at the injury location. The downside to the spells was the toll they took on the patient. The healer's magic could boost the healing process and stabilize a patient, but it was the patient themselves who often bore the burden of cost. Though, this would be due to the lack of mana control on the healer’s side. Skilled recovery mages with higher levels of mana control were capable of mitigating the recovery cost of the patient by increasing the amount of mana at the injury location. However, as expected, this would exhaust the healer in return.

Mana Stabilization magic generally worked in two ways. The first was performed in response to mana poisoning or after a mana explosion. In both instances, the patient’s mana flow would be out of control and in either a surplus or deficit of mana. As in its name, this category of recovery magic worked to either drain the overflow out of the patient’s system or work to replenish the mage’s depleted flow.

In the case of mana poisoning, the healer would also have to work to drain the physical body of excess mana. In addition, they would need to cleanse the damaged organs of harmful essence. Once completed, the physical recovery process could start. In terms of the mana explosion, the recovery mage would need to stabilize the patient’s mana source, repair the mana flow itself, and retrigger the production process of the patient’s internal mana if it was damaged excessively. In both cases, however, should the recovery mage find the damage to be excessive, it may be beneficial to essentially seal or inhibit the patient’s mana source from ever working again. In exchange for life, the patient would never be able to use magic again.

The second way Mana Stabilization worked was by utilizing the healer’s own mana flow to influence the patient’s. First, the healer would test for compatibility with the patient’s flow. If found to be safe with no negative reactions, the two flows could be interconnected so that the healer’s own mana flowed into the patient’s. By directly combining the two, the healer could enhance the patient’s self-recovery by acting as a secondary supply source. Such techniques were more useful for mana explosion casualties, as their own mana source may be too damaged to function. The technique could also be used in combat, giving attack mages an additional mana source to draw from should their own internal mana capacity be too low.

Detoxification spells worked as named. They either removed or nullified external poisons that were found in the physical body and mana flow. The complexity, however, couldn’t be more understated. Due to the wide variety of poisons and toxins in the world, detoxification magic is widely considered to be one of the most difficult magic categories to master. The spells worked in one of two ways: isolation of the toxin and removal of it, and isolation and destruction.

The removal process was considered the easiest and the safest. Through the use of mana, healers search the afflicted body for poison and once found, work to gather it and expel it from the afflicted. Generally the process took hardly any effort so long as the poison was found early before it could directly attack the patient’s internal organs or their mana flow. If the healer was too slow or too late, then the second method would need to be utilized.

Isolation and destruction. One of the most difficult magic techniques in the world. Once the toxin imbedded itself inside the patient’s organs or their mana flow, the healer would need to convert their mana into an antitoxin capable of matching the structure of the poison and either encourage the body to naturally expel or dispose of the toxin, or be able to destroy the toxin without the aid of the patient’s immune system. However, to do so the healer must be able to replicate the toxin in a structure that opposes its negative effects. Such a task required the healer to have knowledge of the toxin’s chemical makeup. If the healer failed to properly counter the toxin, they risked further poisoning the patient or causing the toxin to spread. A daunting task, especially if the healer was uncertain or if information was scarce.

Mind Recovery magic worked by soothing the patient’s mental state. Though such spells were rare, the Myr seemed to have developed an ability to attack the Seraphym's mental state directly. Some effects caused chemical imbalances in their brains that drove them insane. Other effects included inhibiting their ability to sleep, turning them on one another, and sometimes breaking the Seraphym to the point of leaving the afflicted in a vegetative state. The Seraphym even had suspicions about Mind Control, though no instances were ever confirmed. Even so, they developed magic to combat such attacks. By stabilizing the mind and calming it, the Seraphym were able to minimize the damage caused by such spells. The Mind Recovery spells proved to be useful not just in a recovery sense, but also in reducing mental fatigue, decreasing stress levels, increasing productivity, and boosting morale. Additional research found other ways to manipulate the body, such as numbing the pain receptors, releasing physical limitations, strengthening reflexes, and increasing a mage's magic processing efficiency.

The next category was one created out of necessity during the actual civil war between the Myr and the Seraphym. On the God Plane, the Seraphym did not have to deal with infection or sickness. Thus, their immune systems were practically non-existent. Once they descended to the Overworld, they not only had to deal with the Myr and the Overworld’s inhabitants but they also had to deal with the diseases present in the various biomes. Thus, they developed magic capable of working as a pseudo-immune system.

Branching off from Detoxification magic, the Seraphym developed a perpetual system of White Mana within their bloodstreams which actively worked to fend off the Overworld’s microbial invaders. Initially, the system required constant upkeep and put a strain on the Seraphym. Yet, the Seraphym adapted. Once their immune systems developed, the Seraphym repurposed the magic and worked to make the White Mana more flexible. They also boosted its mutations to ensure it could respond and adapt to any new diseases they encountered. The White Mana became autonomous after two generations and the Seraphym began to gather as many viral and bacterial specimens as they could in order to develop antibodies to add to their immune defenses.

As someone from the Overworld, however, the magic could be utilized to boost the patient’s own immune system. With the injection of mana that was specifically designed to fight a disease, a healer could boost the patient's natural ability to resist the disease or virus. Then, once the mana was assimilated into the immune system, the body would naturally be able to combat the microbe by generating its own antibodies. Should an individual already be sick or afflicted with a disease, the healer could directly inject antibodies into the patient’s bloodstream. The antibodies would then take over the fight, assisting the patient’s natural defenses while simultaneously giving the body a blueprint to replicate.

However, White Mana was also used in other ways. The Seraphym’s long lifespans were not due to a special gift, but through the longevity given by their White Mana. The White Mana worked to enhance cellular reproduction and aided in keeping the mage’s body healthy. With more efficient delivery of nutrients, oxygen, hydration, and the rapid removal of toxins, diseases, and fatigue-inducing acids, White Mana increased the lifespan of microbes within the body. Thus, by slowing down the body’s deterioration rate, the Seraphym were able to almost double their cycle of life. Such an effect was likely to be stronger now.

Lastly, Regenerative Spells were used by more experienced healers. Through the use of not just mana but life essence and the mana of the patient, healers found ways to cause the start of a regeneration process. By triggering the building process and replicating the DNA structure within the body, advanced healers could use mana and White Mana to regrow limbs and organs in their patients. Though the mana cost was almost unreasonably high, thus requiring multiple healers at once in order to regrow entire arms and legs if necessary. Such a level required the healer to know exact details of the limb’s structure and precise mana control. Enough so that the healer could control their mana and the mana of their patients. Truly, near God-class ability. Something well beyond Jake’s reach.

He felt he might be able to learn the rest, however. He started with the Physical Restoration spells, figuring they would be the most useful for his current problem. Afterwards, he would learn Detoxification Magic followed by Mind Recovery Magic. Then, Mana Stabilization. The last two categories he would leave for another time. They would prove useful in the future but in the current time crunch he didn’t have the time or the resources to learn them properly. Maybe in the future once the Maedra were dealt with, he’d return and give them another look.

Until then, Jake focused on studying everything that would increase not just his chance of survival but the survival of those he would be fighting beside. He also made notes of where he might be able to simplify tasks and spells. That way he could bring back information to give to the Oryx healers. Anything that might give them an edge that wouldn’t outright break them, he either bookmarked or scribbled onto paper for future reference and memorization.

Without pausing to rest, Jake studied Recovery Magic for an entire Overworld day’s worth of time in the Library. Utilizing an array of hourglasses, Jake made sure to keep track of time. Every four hours he took a quick break to leave the library to eat and drink. Then, he would check his physical body for any problems, stretch and warm himself, then he would return to his studies. The short breaks gave his brain a short time to breathe and recover. However, Jake understood that the cramming session needed to continue. Midway through, Jake realized that fatigue was going to slow him down and the need for sleep would soon come knocking.

Thus, the boy paused his studying of Physical Recovery magic instead to look into fatigue and stress reduction magic. Something that would help with suppressing the fog that would cloud his mind once he drifted off to sleep. Jake had learned that coming to the library while sleeping had some side effects. While his body certainly recovered, his mind would lag behind and he would find both his judgment and cognitive thinking to be slowed. It was an odd sensation that he found to be similar to that of sleep deprivation. If he could suppress that urge, or even mitigate it entirely through magic, then he would be able to train for two days straight and then sleep the third.

After a short while, Jake found what he was looking for- Orus Milaro, or Mind Cleanse. It wasn’t exactly a sleep suppressant. It was more of a fatigue reduction spell. One that could convert mana into a hormone that would enhance cognitive function and boost Jake’s senses. A minor spell at first but the advanced version would be closer to what he would need to completely clear his mind of that haze. This would allow him to push through one or two days. It came with warnings attached, of course, signaling that excessive use could lead to insomnia and potential brain damage. Jake didn’t plan on using the spells often. Only when he needed to cut a night or two short.

Jake bookmarked the page with the spell on it and scribbled the sigil for it down on a scrap piece of paper with useless information on it. After that, he returned to what he had originally been studying. After another flip of his hourglass and another break, Jake felt his mind lull. His eyes fluttered and he found it difficult to focus. He let that sensation sink in, the sensation of wanting to sleep. Slowly, he carved the sigil into the floor for the light spell and then placed his hand on top of it.

“Azur alous. Tynar abunir sha’la mi. Orus. Torus. Shifa ruh na milaro zyr.” The sigil began to glow a soft yellow, almost a pale white, and Jake felt the mana coiling in his hand heat up. The sigil drew out more and more of his mana until his fingertips burned. Then Jake took a slow breath. As he inhaled, a hot breeze flowed through his lips and into his throat. The heat vanished from his hand and instead entered his mouth. The heat then washed over his face and spilled into his skull. His entire head felt hot as the weight on his mind was lifted and the clouds over his thoughts cleared. The sensation reminded him of a warm spring day in his home village.

The spell worked as planned. Jake felt rejuvenated. He wasn’t entirely awake in the sense that his body felt a bit sluggish but his mind was open. He could continue. He returned to the library and began the cycle. Study for four hours. Leave for a break, eat, and, if needed, cast the Mind Cleanse spell. Then, he continued his training. Over and over, Jake repeated the cycle until eventually, a visitor met him in his study room. It wasn’t Yir. Nor was it a fairy.

It was someone he wished he didn’t have to encounter again.

Great.

1