EP: Ever Forward
25 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After the fires calmed and silence returned to the cavern, those still standing found themselves at a loss. The remaining guardsmen who could still move removed the barricades over the headquarters buildings to release the civilian survivors. Then, together, they slowly made their way out of the courtyards and down into the destruction. Several men already stood around, listless, eyes hollow and vacant as they looked out towards the remnants of their home.

There was nothing left. Ewana had been reduced to rubble and crumbling walls. Bodies of the dead lay scattered in plain sight, evidence of the Maedra’s pillaging plain to see. Those caught outside the protective shields and doors died horribly. The Maedra were indiscriminate. Craters littered the streets from Jake’s magic. Holes in the walls showed how the Maedra had destroyed their village.

Despair fell over the survivors. Not a shred of hope crossed any of their minds. This was their life. This was the inevitability of the Maedra’s existence. Even if they tried to rebuild and reform their village, they all knew that things wouldn’t change. The Maedra would come again. They would take everything again. In the aftermath, like now, the Oryx would be left with nothing but their sorrows and pain, again. It brought rage to a few of the strong while breaking the weakest. Children, with minds still developing and hearts uncertain, burned the images in front of them into their very souls. This was their future. This would be their life.

But among them, one was already moving. The boy who had come too late. After searching among the survivors, Jake learned that he too had lost something. Yae was missing and Xul was heavily injured. The only family he had left within the Ravine had been destroyed. The woman he loved had been robbed from him, stolen in his absence. His brother lay before him, missing his right leg, half of his left arm, and his eye was damaged beyond repair. In that moment, Jake felt something break within him. His blood ran cold and his emotions numbed. Unable to feel anything other than the intense heat of his fury, Jake let himself be driven by the madness of hate.

In minutes, Jake cleaned his blades and was already heading back towards the tunnel he had come from. The hood of his cloak was pulled down over his eyes, shielding his vision from the destruction as the rage curdled in his chest. A large hand reached out for his shoulder, the red paw trying to stop him. The boy slapped it away and glared at the much larger being.

They exchanged silent stares. One stoic with controlled emotion. The other on the verge of exploding. A time bomb with an already short fuse.

No words were spoken. The boy turned away and marched off, leaving the village and sprinting into the tunnel. The Daemon watched, his lips curling downward into a deep frown as he watched the boy go. Unable to stop him now, the Daemon simply wished for his safety.

In the following hours, those who lived began to dig through the piles of their homes. They collected small items, clothes, and objects that would be the foundation of their new lives elsewhere. The destruction revealed no survivors. Only those who had sought refuge in the headquarters buildings were left. A few small arguments popped up between individuals trying to capitalize on the sullen atmosphere but largely, the remaining Oryx quietly picked up the pieces of their shattered world.

Soon after the boy had left, remnants of the assault force began to trickle out of the tunnel he had run into. Each of them gazed at the home they had left behind to protect, shocked to see that their heroism had resulted in a loss greater than they could have imagined. The very people they had gone off to fight for were either now dead or looking at them with a scowl and scorn. They had failed in their duty, and this was their reward. Their sacrifice was for nothing. Silently, those who could still move joined the effort to scavenge for supplies.

The injured and broken were sent to the inner courtyards for treatment. The bodies of the dead were collected, those that could be retrieved at least, and organized in neat rows within the Council’s courtyard. It was the largest of the three and thus had the most open space for it. Bodies were identified, if they could be, and mourning began as survivors searched for loved ones. The injured were split between the Scout and Warrior courtyards where healers did their best to tend to them. With supplies largely absent, they could do little to help. Those with injuries beyond their capabilities were simply made comfortable.

The village council was out of the picture. The majority of the council members had left prior to the fighting, fleeing to the sister village of Ruan, along with others who had given up on Ewana. Taking their place were Mur, Nuro, Captain Lin, Captain Tyk, and a few other remaining guard captains. They spearheaded the scavenging and recovery efforts, doing their part to keep people moving.

Knowing that they would be leaving, the guards began collecting carts, wagons, and other traveling equipment that would be used to ferry their supplies. Nuro, Lin, and Tyk compiled a list of items that people were requested to prioritize when scavenging. They also began to sort the items that had already been found, taking stock of what was left. Mur put together a small rag-tag team of soldiers that would work as guards during their travels. He organized their formation and the unit worked on replacing their gear, taking what they needed from the fallen.

Ewana the village may have died but its people were still breathing. And as long as that was true, that meant there was still work to be done. The Oryx would mourn and despair. However, in time the pain they felt in their hearts would fade and their fight would begin anew. The Maedra may have won the battle to destroy the village, but they would not break the spirit of the Oryx.

The survivors worked for a whole day. In the Scout and Warrior buildings, camps were set up and a quiet meal was served. Rations were distributed where they could and individuals were organized into groups of ten to ensure everyone was given an equal share. The fact that the Maedra only targeted people was a small blessing. Food stores were untouched so there was plenty to go around.

Midway through the evening, Jake returned from the tunnel. He was covered in sweat, grime, and evidence of his fight against the Maedra. He reported to the leadership of the refugees, sharing the information that the nest was cleared and all of the Maedra within it had been killed. He also scouted the tunnels connected to it and killed every Maedra he found within them. Jake mentioned that he had directed the survivors of the battle back to the village, but he had found no one else outside of the main force.

After his debrief, Jake cast several cleansing spells over the village and sealed off all of the remaining tunnels. Following Mur’s instructions, he removed the rocks blocking the passage leading to their future destination of Ruan. After a brief meal, Jake took it upon himself to scout the tunnel. Not daring to get in his way, none stopped him or argued. They quietly watched as he sharpened his weapons, prepped his gear, and then left into the tunnel.

Two days passed thereafter. Survivors continued to dig through the rubble to find their dead and collect resources for their trip. The food stores were emptied, distributed to the people, and the leftovers were organized into carts. The protective unit conducted minor repairs to their equipment, preparing themselves for any skirmishes that they may face. All the while hoping to never see Maedra again. At the beginning of the third day, Jake returned with a small group of six Oryx. Envoys of Ruan.

Having heard of what had happened to Ewana from Jake, the council of Ruan wanted to see for themselves the truth. The envoys were left speechless, their hearts stopping as they bore witness to the true terror of the Maedra’s existence. Seeing that there were survivors, though, gave them a sense of hope. A sliver of it that they all clung to. The envoys met with Mur and the other leadership and a plan was developed. The refugees would be given shelter on the outskirts of the village until proper housing could be provided and food would be shared with them. Work would be easy to find and the Council would work to integrate them into the village. Ruan was twice the size of Ewana and much closer to the surface city of Beliz. They would be safe and finding a new life would be easy for them.

Recovery efforts continued for several more days as preparations were made to leave. Jake escorted the envoys back to Ruan and then returned with several more. They came with additional transport wagons, carts, and a large number of individuals who had volunteered to help. With more hands, the work became easier.

Jake used his magic to help where he was able, however, he was largely asked to assist with healing the wounded. Despite his meager abilities, his magic was superior to those of the Oryx. He was able to stabilize those thought to be on death row and helped many others return to their feet. Yet, he was no saint. He could not restore limbs, eyes, or organs. Those beyond Jake's skill could only be numbed until they passed away. Within the village itself, Jake helped clear debris to make searching easier.

The evening before the refugees were expected to leave, a pair of unexpected visitors appeared. They came at night, emerging from the tunnel leading to the Maedra nest. Jake sensed their approach long before they actually showed their face and warned Mur. The pair, along with Nuro, Tyk, and Lin, stood at the edge of the village to greet them. Though the guests were armed, they did not show any hostility.

“I am Xaudrix, and this is my sister, Iepo.” The pair were dragonkin.

The male stood a full head taller than Jake and had muscle mass rivaling Mur’s. The female shared the boy’s height and her body was far more slender but the tone of her figure showed plenty of hidden strength. They both had long, thick tails swaying behind them and had horns jutting from their crowns. Bright red fiery hair flowed down the woman’s back while the male sported a much duller tone of scruff. Their eyes were dark red and sharp fangs poked out of their lips. The male’s hands were large, calloused, and thick with muscle. His nails were dull. The woman’s hands were more fragile and her nails were well-kept. Sharpened, though- weapons if she needed them. Scales dotted their bodies. Scales that were tougher than any metal found within the Ravine.

The male carried a massive axe strapped across his shoulders where the woman’s wide hips had two swords nestled against them. She carried a staff in her left hand. A brilliant piece of craftsmanship. Made of thick wood that bristled with magic power, the staff had several intricate designs carved into it. There were multiple engraved runes and enchantments, and numerous gems neatly lodged in its head. Just above the gems, a massive blue crystal sat in a cozy cradle, glistening with power.

The pair were sent by a familiar sounding woman that was growing to be quite a thorn in Jake’s side. They were her grandchildren and had been dispatched to investigate the Ravine’s Maedra activity. After confirming it, they were directed to seek out the Guardian. However, when the Arachkin wasn’t found near the Gate of Judgement, they began following the scent of magic power that seemed to match what they were looking for. What they found was Jake and Ewana. Their grandmother had told them not to interfere, however, and told them instead to begin working on the Maedra problem. Her instructions changed after she discovered Jake was an apostle of Lady Ferynith, her sister. While Xaudrix continued his extermination efforts, Iepo observed Jake from a distance.

The pair essentially confirmed what Jake had been told briefly in the Library. These were the dragonkin woman’s ‘pets’ she had mentioned. The boy found it interesting that she referred to her own kin as pets but he kept that to himself.

Following what they were told, the pair remained on the sidelines as the fate of Ewana unfolded. They watched Jake closely, drew their own conclusions, and reported what they observed to their grandmother. It seemed Jake had passed whatever test she was conducting as she then told the pair to approach him. By her order, they were to assist Jake in eliminating the Maedra within the Ravine. Should he choose to do so, of course. If he did not desire it, they would do it anyway without him. The Maedra had developed into a potential threat for the Overworld and had already shown traces of intelligence within the depths of the Ravine. Left alone to fester, they would eventually outgrow the bleak stone prison and pour out of the black maw.

There was also evidence of Crux’s soldiers' interference in the Maedra’s development. Tampering which was accelerating the Maedra’s growth. Details that could not be left alone or ignored. Other regions of the Overworld where the Maedra existed did not show similar changes so those above did not believe it was Crux’s decision. Such a localized occurrence told them that this might have been a test run. In essence, his forces were moving their own accord. The Ravine was just the beginning.

As an Apostle, it was Jake’s duty to aid them in keeping Crux’s forces suppressed. While the Maedra and the Knights could not be killed outright due to Crux’s curses, they could be killed and reduced to inferiority for a time. However, Jake did not have an obligation to answer such a call. As an Apostle, his only allegiance was to his Deity. Should they not grant him orders or instructions, getting involved would be entirely his own choice.

As if knowing that, neither Lady Ferynith nor Lady Rastua had sent him any instructions. Whether that was due to the passive blocking of their sight into the Ravine or otherwise, Jake didn’t know. Yet in the absence of those orders, it meant Jake’s further participation in the Ravine’s subjugation was entirely his decision. A decision he made without much consideration.

The boy agreed to join them. He had lost everything he cared for in Ewana and had no reason to remain with the refugees. Xul would be taken care of by his people and there was nothing left for Jake to return to. If he wanted to protect them, then eradicating the Maedra as a whole was the answer he trusted most.

Decision made, the pair shared their plans with the boy and the trio began making preparations for their endeavor. Mur collected supplies for them in the meantime. Prior to sleeping and while they ate, Jake shared his capabilities with the duo and also listened to what they would bring to the table. Upon hearing of Jake’s Cleansing Spell and what it would do, the pair advised using it as much as possible in larger nesting sites or where large stores of mana were found. Doing so would reduce the Maedra’s capabilities over time and should slow their growth significantly. While they weren’t certain how long the effects would last, it would give the Overworld’s forces plenty of breathing room. Once they knew how long the effects lasted, they might be able to utilize the spell as a long-term answer to the Ravine’s curses. Jake kept the creators of the spell to himself, not wanting to drag Helena and Lydia into the mess if he could help it.

The following morning, Jake said goodbye to his friends and allies. He spent time with Xul, explaining what he was going to do as a final stop. Before he left, Xul grabbed his hand and squeezed it.

“Don’t lose yourself, Jake. She wouldn’t want that.” Xul muttered the words but while Jake agreed, he simply smiled and responded with a hollow answer.

Yae was gone. They had killed her and stolen his happiness. They had destroyed Ewana, killed Tul and injured Xul greatly. Chul was gone. Darius was gone. Mur was hurt. Mora was gone. Dozens of Oryx Jake had fought beside in the tunnels were dead.

The Maedra’s existence was a plague. A virus. They did nothing but take and spread despair, misery, and pain everywhere they existed. In their wake, only blood and sadness remained. Just as they showed no mercy to the Overworld, Jake only found it right to return the favor. No matter the cost, he would reduce them to ash.

“Good luck.” Mur extended a hand to Jake as the boy stood at the edge of the village.

Jake smiled and grabbed the mitt firmly. “Thanks, Mur. For everything.”

Nuro, Captain Lin and Captain Tyk were also there to see him off. As were a few of the guards from Tyk’s platoon. Pharos had come as well. It was a sombering sight. While a dozen or so faces saw him off, none of the three he truly wished to see were present. A painful reminder of what he’d lost but also comfort in knowing that he still had gained much in his time in the village. New friends and allies. New strengths and magical abilities. And a new goal etched into his heart.

The boy stepped into the dark tunnels of the Ravine, following behind the two dragonkin. As the lights faded behind him, the boy reached for his neck and took hold of the necklace dangling there. Thaedrun’s Finder Gem. His mother’s keepsake. A shard of Chul’s mana crystal. Closing his eyes, he took a deep breath.

When he exhaled, he set his eyes on the cold stone path ahead of him.

2