46. Contract
29 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If you're reading this on any site other than ScribbleHub or RoyalRoad, it's been stolen. Please report such theft to myself, Jink Chemist, on either of the previously mentioned Sites. I ask that you support my work by viewing, commenting, and following my book on those sites instead! Thank you!


 

The return trip from the Outpost to the village was far from dull. The number of personnel within the tunnel was quite spectacular to see and the urgency amongst the workers showed Jake just how important it was for the village to expand. Nearly every pocket of mana crystals were being tended to. Multiple squads of warriors were spread throughout the route for protection, higher ranking 'Guards' were periodically placed within the tunnel to increase the defensive presence, and Collector crystals were placed frequently in order to gather the mana within the air. Compared to when Jake had cleared the tunnel, the sight before him was stark in contrast. And it had all happened quite fast.

When Jake reached the junction point, he was surprised to see it too was a flurry of activity. Dozens of Warriors stood around near the entrances to the other tunnels, Guards lurked in the shadows of each, and workers scuttled about, trying their best to perform their necessary tasks. There were even two Councilmen standing there, giving out orders and maintaining control over the chaos as they worked to develop the area into a safe and practical work environment. Jake was careful not to be seen by those two individuals and slipped along back to the village itself, following behind the trail of workers.

As he approached, he found himself stuck in a line. The guards were checking over the entrance permits and ensured each was valid before allowing the Workers to pass through. Those who were well-known were being funneled through while others were checked more thoroughly. Jake prepared his permit in advance and held it up once he reached the entrance. The guard, wordlessly, waved him through after just a glance. The boy didn't question it and carried on.

"Hurry up! We've got to hit the quota!" One of the workers yelled out from the far end of the tunnel. An older man with a hunched back, scarred and calloused mitts for hands, and a razor-sharp eye, directed the younger fellows beneath him into the tunnel. Once he counted off six people, as if accounting for those under his charge, he followed them and hustled passed Jake.

When Jake popped out, the view of the village was a bit different from before. In a good way. The streets below were more lively, Warriors and Scouts were flooding toward the exit tunnel, and a stream of workers marched along beside them. Materials and pre-made pieces of buildings were being carried, dragged, and hauled along the road toward the tunnel as the teams labored along. Magic made things a little easier but the Oryks weren't skilled with it. However, their wheeled carts and manually-pulled wagons made moving materials a bit easier. It still looked painful, but it worked, and they were able to make do.

As they climbed the ramp to the tunnel, Jake ensured he stayed out of their way. He made no attempt at conversation and slipped off the main street once he reached the village. The noise and commotion were a bit annoying and he didn't feel like dealing with the friction of going against the flow of foot traffic. The alley was much clearer. He ignored the occasional less fortunate, weaved his way along, and eventually reached the much wider road that would bring him to his destination. There was still plenty of activity but the extra space made walking easy. Jake huffed, keeping to himself as he returned to the Scout Compound.

"Is that him...?"

Recognition began to hit. Rumors, whispers, and whatever else had made it back to the compound ahead of him. As expected, Jake found himself being looked at by a number of curious eyes. He didn't return the stares and remained focused on getting back to the Association. While it bothered him, and he wanted to scatter dust to blind those staring at him, it would do nothing to change their squabbling. Jake had done his job. There was no need to get into a frenzy over it. If they were this surprised and this baffled then they were in for a treat when Jake did the same thing again tomorrow.

Jake needed to sharpen his skills, develop his magic, and prepare himself to fight those Shield-Maedra and the Arachkin-type. He needed to become a faster, smarter, and more capable fighter. The Maedra weren't simpletons nor were they cookie-cutter enemies. Jake would need to be crafty, adaptable, and something far more vicious than the Maedra could ever think of. To defeat such a monster, he would need to become one.

"Welcome back, Jake." A young woman greeted the boy as he approached her counter. What was her name again...?

"Thanks," Jake climbed into the seat. However, the moment he sat down, he felt a bit of slack loosen in his shoulders. A noticeable change in the tension across his body made him feel a bit light-headed. Was that fatigue catching up to him? He couldn't rest, yet. He had quite a bit to do before he could sleep.

"Your achievements today are commendable and the Association has seen it fit to prepare quite a reward," the woman whistled for a runner. When they arrived, she said Jake's name to them and the individual scuttled off to the back area. "However, I will not be the one to present it to you."

"What?" Jake blinked and stiffened.

"Wait one moment, please." The woman held up a hand to stop his questioning, and she then looked over to her right, waiting for the runner to return. Jake felt his stomach tighten and his heartbeat quickened. It wasn't anxiety or fear, but he felt uneasy. Jake just wanted to get his reward and leave. He had a feeling this was about to become a lot more annoying.

The runner returned with a letter, stamped with a red seal to hold it closed. The woman plucked it from them, and then slid it across the counter to Jake. The boy picked it up and stared at the seal. It was quite fancy and big.

"Please open the letter and follow the instructions within. That is all." The woman folded her hands after speaking and sat up a little straighter. Their conversation was done and her part had been played. Jake stared at her, tempted to ask questions but from the look in her eye, he doubted he would get anything out of her. Here he thought he would be able to pay his tab without a hitch.

The boy sighed and slid from the seat. He gripped the letter tight and walked off to the back of the center area, moving clear of anyone as he approached the hallway leading to the stairs. He launched himself to the second floor and returned to the Pharos Squad room. He gave the handle a twist and nudged the door open, revealing a familiar scene on the other side. Nuro was at his desk, Lao was tinkering, Fien, Pari, and Wyicks were training. Tau was sleeping, and Mora was lounging on her couch.

"I've retur--" Jake started to announce but his Squad leader was just as quick to the punch.

"You've caused a ruckus," Nuro spat, his eye narrowing as he glared at Jake.

"Way to put that nicely," Mora muttered off to the left. Jake furrowed his brow and closed the door behind him.

"Uh, sorry?" Jake said, confused about how to respond.

"You cleared a tunnel today, didn't you? Not only that but you cleared enough of said tunnel that you found a massive cavern and now there is a new outpost being built within it." As Nuro spoke, he rose out of his chair and walked around to the closer side of his desk. Then, he leaned against it, folding his arms. Behind him, Pari and Wyicks stopped sparing. Fien stopped casting. And Tau's eye was open, but he stared at the ceiling.

"You killed a large number of Beasts and there is word that you did it all by yourself. Without help," Nuro's voice was rough, his tone harsh. However, Jake weathered the storm with a calm and black expression. That sounded a lot like good things. Jake didn't see the problem with being effective and efficient.

"So?" The boy shrugged. Nuro's eye narrowed. He pointed at the item in Jake's hand.

"That letter. Is there a Dragon on the seal?" Nuro asked.

"There is," Jake answered.

"Then you have been summoned by the Council. I can already guess what they are going to tell you," Nuro said. "You've done a good deed, but you've brought attention to yourself, kid. Now you have two choices; become the pet of the council, or leave the village."

"Nuro-" Mora sat up, but Nuro held up his hand. Jake crossed his arms and let out a huff, his eyes fixed on Nuro's.

"I don't see the issue. I did what I was asked. So why would it become a problem?"

"What is the job of a Scout, Jake?" Nuro asked. Jake clenched his teeth for a moment. When he didn't answer right away, Nuro asked again. "What. Is. Your. Job?"

"Find the Beasts and alert the Warrior team," Jake answered.

"Find the beasts. Find, them. Not kill them. Not massacre them. Not kill them by yourself. Not completely blow open a tunnel with Magic and single-handedly secure an entire location for an Outpost." Nuro's voice lowered to a near growl as he stepped away from the desk and approached Jake. The boy lowered his hands, feeling the threat of Nuro's presence. He doubted the man would lash out at him, but he wouldn't be surprised. Nuro looked pissed.

"You showcased everything in your hand and now the Council is going to monopolize you and work you without pause. They are going to slap you with some glory hog status and then throw you at the tunnels until either the Beasts kill you, or until you've personally cleared every single tunnel connected to this place, you fucking idiot," Nuro hissed.

"Nuro, that's enough." Mora stood up from her couch, her eye moving between Jake and Nuro as she loitered on the edge of intervention.

But, Jake didn't need her help. Besides, Nuro wasn't wrong. Jake had done quite a bit of flashy antics in the past day or so, and he had done it in front of a lot of eyes. Even during the operation, Jake had displayed his ability as a mage. He could take on the Maedra with little to no support and could come out on top. While it wasn't something Jake would bet on every time, he was confident enough to not hesitate in the face of the regular Maedra and Maudraga types that generally filled the tunnels. The Council would be stupid to not want to take advantage of that.

Yet, they failed to realize one thing- Jake didn't owe them anything. He could leave whenever he desired and return to the surface. He could ditch this village and not bat an eye if they turned on him. His labor was voluntary and done entirely by choice. Jake had a reason to kill the Maedra. A personal vendetta. The village's existence was a convenient detail that was helping him achieve that end. It wasn't a necessity. Jake could return to the surface, find an entrance that he could use regularly, and instead live in his own village in between trips. He could grow all the same, but just with more caution. With no warriors or fellow combatants at his side, Jake would need to spend more time preparing for battle, he would have to carry his supplies, create camps, and he would need to be more aware of his surroundings.

Jake had options. They didn't.

"If the offer from the Council is more beneficial for me, then I plan to take it," Jake retorted. Nuro's jaw tensed. "But I am no one's tool. I do this for me and that's it." Jake turned on his heel and grabbed the door.

"Don't ever forget that I came to this village by choice, Nuro. I will abandon it just the same if I have to." Jake didn't look behind him as he finished their conversation. Nor when he slammed the door closed as he left.

The boy tore open the letter and read its contents. As expected, it was an invitation to meet with the Council of the Village to discuss his "glorious achievements" within the tunnels. The words were chosen carefully to sound enticing and to spur his desire to help the village while elevating his emotions by praising him for his actions. They didn't work. Jake knew his place. He knew his role. He knew why he was fighting. He knew just what it meant to continue to battle with the Maedra. He knew exactly what the village gained from his actions, and he knew just how desperate the Council were to keep him.

It would take more than sweet words to sway him. Maybe if he went and just asked for the reward, they might leave him alone.

Jake left the Scout Association building and started for the exit of the Compound. The activity had died down a little but the scouts were still busy with their daily activities. The newcomers were practicing their skills all over the place. Jake didn't mind any of it and kept his sights on the exit. He never saw Yae as she stepped up to him and slapped him.

"Wha-!" Jake reeled from the strike and turned to face the culprit. Yae stood there, her eye glaring up at him as she threatened to strike him again. "Yae!"

"I told you to be careful!" She shouted.

"I was," Jake returned.

"Then what is this about you barreling through the beasts?!" Her voice wavered.

"Barr-? Yae, I had to fight them. What else was I supposed to do?" Jake blinked. Was this deja vu? Was she Nuro in disguise?

"Fighting is for the Warriors!" She yelled and Jake felt his blood pressure rise. The same exact conversation.

"I'm not arguing with you about this. Not again," Jake snarled and turned away from her. He couldn't get another step before she grabbed his wrist.

He yanked it away.

"Jake, you're going to get yourself killed!" This again...

"You know what your problem is, Yae?" Jake's eyes flared as he turned to her, looking over his shoulder. "You don't understand how vulnerable this place is and how in danger everyone is. The Beasts are right outside those tunnels, waiting. Sitting here, playing the safe game, isn't going to keep this village safe!"

"You told me you were going to fight with the Warriors more! That you would fight with a team, Jake!"

"And they're fucking useless!" Jake snapped, his voice booming through the courtyard. Several nearby turned to look. "Your scouts are weak, pitiful! They die because they can barely see in the dark and are too slow to run away! Your Warriors are pathetic except for the upper ranks because they have no idea how to fight and protect themselves! Your mages are a joke, your healers can barely fix basic injuries!"

Much of the courtyard was quiet, aside from Jake's voice.

"How do you expect me to fight alongside and trust people I can't rely on?!" His voice went quiet for a moment as he steadied his breathing. Yae just stared at him, water building around the edge of her eye. "How you lot have survived for this long is a mystery to me," Jake muttered.

As he turned to step away, Jake spotted a large, looming figure standing across the courtyard. Mur stood just outside of the door to his Hall, his arms folded over his chest. The demon's beady yellow eyes glared over toward Jake. When the two made eye contact, Mur shook his head slowly. Jake felt his blood boil, and he let out a heated breath.

Swallowing the rest of what he wanted to say, Jake turned away from Yae.

"Before you asked me why I fight the Beasts," he started. He didn't look to see if she acknowledged him. "I do this because I want to. Because killing the Beasts makes me feel like I'm returning the favor for them killing my friend. And I won't stop until they're all dead. Whatever it takes."

"Even if it changes you?" She whispered. Jake felt his stomach tense, and he felt something squeeze on his chest. Something felt off, but he couldn't quite put a finger on it.

"...whatever it takes." He repeated.

"You can't make that choice!" She shouted. "I'm not going to let you!"

"And who are you to stop me, Yae?" Jake huffed and started to walk away. He heard feet and triggered his rock magic, putting up a wall at his back.

"You're such an asshole!"

"That's enough!" Mur's voice hit Jake's ears and the boy turned to see the Demon striding across the courtyard, the scouts in his way quickly moving. "The child has made his decision, young lady. As stubborn and stupid as he is, your screaming won't fix him." Mur's eyes bore into Jake as he stopped a few paces away. Jake swallowed a lump in his throat. He suddenly felt like he was in danger.

"Nothing but insults, huh?" Jake muttered. Mur raised an eyebrow and chuckled.

"More than enough for an arrogant boy who has no idea what he's getting into," Mur rumbled.

"What do you want from me, Mur? The Beasts are-" As Jake tried to speak, Mur cut him off with his own booming words.

"The people of this village have kept it safe for far longer than you have been alive, boy. This village, the Oryk people, and others who have traveled into these tunnels have survived without people like you helping them," he spat. The demon spread his hands and directed Jake's attention to the dozens of Scouts surrounding them, scattered throughout the courtyard. "Without help from the surface, its adventurers, and its heroes, these people have prospered. It may be a frugal life compared to even your life in the desert but it is a life nonetheless."

"Don't let your meager crumbs of help blind you, boy. These people have been through a lot more, and they are struggling anyways." The lecture continued and Jake finally had enough. He turned from his teacher and started to walk away.

"Jake!" "No. Let him run. He's a coward."

Jake curled his hands into fists and felt his anger bubble, but he held himself back. Fighting Mur wouldn't make him feel any better. It would only make him look more like the bad guy, and while he was fine with that, Jake had no intention of turning the entire Association against him. The instant Jake drew a blade or cast magic on Mur, the others would jump him. That was evident in the fact that those around him were all warily watching his every move.

Mur and the Oryks weren't the enemy. The Maedra were.

Without further impediment, Jake left the compound and made his way down to the intersection. There, he turned left and approached the archway leading to the Council building. Guards stood at the entrance, their hulking bodies, and thick armor acting as a deterrent for the curious. Jake, however, wasn't scared. He had an invitation. The boy approached the entrance and then extended his letter to one of the guards. The man grabbed it, looked at the seal on the envelope, and then returned it.

"You may proceed," the guard rumbled. Jake nodded and did just that.

The pathway to the council building was just as barren as the Scout Compound's courtyard. It was wide open, empty, and had only a few benches placed around make-shift ponds of water. There was no greenery aside from moss growing on the rocks near the wall. But, the path was lined with a few dangling crystals from tall poles. A few guards were positioned periodically as further security. The building itself was a massive rectangle with a few holes in the walls acting as windows and plenty of mana crystals were lodged in the walls surrounding it. There was no fancy architecture to the stone. There were a few carvings here and there, but nothing spectacular or eye-catching.

The most attractive part of the building was its massive wooden doors. The guards standing beside said doors stepped towards the handles and grabbed them, peeling the wooden slabs out of the way to give Jake entrance. Inside, the hallway which greeted Jake was long, like a tunnel, and further lined with lit mana crystals. There were several doorways lining the walls, a pair of staircases flanking the entryway Jake stood in that led to a second and even a third level. At the far end of the hallway, another set of large doors were in view.

"You must be Jake Furrow?" A female Oryk wearing a black dress stood up from a chair off to the right. When Jake first spotted her, it looked as though she were about to fall asleep in the chair. For her to pop to life all of a sudden, he guessed she was tasked with waiting for him. That sounded painful. What if Jake hadn't decided to come right away? Would she still be sitting there?

"Yes. I was given this?" Jake held out the letter, expecting the woman to at least inspect it. She only glanced at the paper before smiling and stepping towards the hallway.

"Please, follow me." She turned on her heels and led the way. Jake pressed his lips together and crumbled the paper in his hand. Apparently, it wasn't necessary anymore. He followed behind as instructed. As he walked, the boy utilized his Sensory magic to get an idea of what he might be dealing with.

The rooms were occupied by a few other individuals. Most sat behind desks doing paperwork. A few were conversing across tables, and two were sleeping at their desks. Another two were... Jake turned his attention forward towards the larger doors and looked to see what lay beyond. Inside, six individuals sat around a small circular table. A few guards were posted around the room, and there looked to be other individuals standing near the walls. He couldn't tell what they were doing, but the individuals were just sitting there. Likely waiting for him.

Which was the case. The woman led Jake down the hallways to the large doors. One of the guards posted beside them rapped his plated hand against the wood. A muffled call to enter echoed from within and then the doors were pushed open. The woman stepped inside, stepped out of the way, and motioned for Jake to walk in. He did, and immediately took stock of what was around him.

The guards carried short staves and blades on their waists. There were two mages among them, and two carried massive shields. They were heavily armored with clean metal plating and even wore helmets to conceal their faces. The room was large, circular with only one exit, and contained only a single massive table in the middle with eight chairs positioned evenly around it. Six men occupied six of the chairs. One was empty. The other Jake was motioned to use. The additional bodies in the room that were unarmed looked like either servants or assistants, as they each carried papers in their hands and were positioned a short distance from each of the men at the table.

"You must be Jake," one of the men said aloud.

"I am. Why am I here?" The boy asked, wanting to keep both formalities and his time in the seat short. Those around the table seemed impatient themselves.

"We first would like to commend you for your efforts in the tunnel. What you've done for our village will help us continue to grow and sustain our people. The Outpost we will establish will also hopefully prove useful in fighting against the Beasts. We hope to develop more in the future. That is why we have called you here." The initial man to speak seemed to be the one holding the talking stick, as he was the only one to talk. He looked rather old, far older than the other five men. He also looked a bit more... rough.

"You want me to scout the other tunnels," Jake said. A few of the other men frowned, but the speaker didn't seem affected.

"In short, yes," he answered. Jake sighed. "As a Surface Walker, we understand you may have some reservations about our request." The man paused and adjusted in his chair. He grabbed a small glass that was set in front of him and took a drink.

"My name is Clau. I was a Warrior before becoming a Council member. I know how it is within the tunnels more than my compatriots here. As someone from the surface, I also understand that your attachment to this village might not be quite high," Clau interlaced his fingers and supported his weight on his arms as he leaned against the table. Jake, on the other hand, placed his hands in his lap and leaned back into the chair.

"However, recent circumstances have put pressure on our forces. If I recall, you were the mage who closed off the cavern at the end of the failed operation, yes?" At his question, Jake took a moment to look at the other Council members. He didn't recognize any of them. None of them were the higher-ups he had seen in that cavern.

"I am," Jake answered.

"Then, as you have seen, our Warriors are not the best fighters nor are our forces numerous enough to battle the Beasts straight on." Clau motioned to his assistant, who nodded. The man walked around the table and set three pieces of paper down in front of Jake. Pages full of statistics and numbers, all of which Jake didn't quite understand at first. As he further inspected the pages, that began to change. One page was the current number of available Warriors, Scouts, and Healers. The page also listed the injured, the unavailable, the number of new recruits, and those missing.

The second page was the listing of current missions the village had put out. This page included the number of missions accepted in the previous two months as well as missions that were completed successfully, the number that failed, and the number of tunnels that had to be closed due to an over-infestation of Maedra or ones that could not be used anymore due to the threat of the Maedra finding the village.

The third page was a list of the dead, along with a statistic showing a comparison of the numbers between months and years.

After seeing the papers, Jake had a grasp on the situation of the village's Scout and Warrior forces. It was almost a bit of a joke. Mur had said that the village had been strong and resilient, and not to underestimate its people. However, based on the information in front of Jake, things weren't looking too good. In recent months, more Warriors were dying. More scouts were going missing. Fewer recruits volunteered for either role. More tunnels were having to be closed due to an uptick in Maedra influence. While Jake didn't see anything on how other villages were fairing from Ewana's connection with them, he doubted they were doing any better.

If the statistics spoke for anything, Jake doubted the village would survive another year on its own.

"Is this supposed to sway me?" Jake leaned away from the papers and settled into his chair. The councilmen looked at one another, but Clau remained undisturbed.

"No, it's not," Clau took another drink. "We are not quite sure what happened but the recent few months have been hard to handle. There has been a spike in Beast sightings and the creatures are far more vicious than before. They've changed tactics and more mages are being found with their regular fighter types. It's caused quite a headache."

"And how is that my problem?" Jake muttered. Clau sat up in his chair and adjusted his posture a little.

"It isn't, it's ours, and we are aware of that. But, we would like to offer you a deal." Clau smiled and folded his hands in his lap. "From what the reports say, you are a strong mage and a capable fighter. We would like to offer you a position of freedom here in the village." Clau looked to his assistant again. "Give it to him."

The assistant nodded, and then placed a purple card down in front of Jake. It was the same shape as a tunnel permit.

"That card grants you free passage to and from the village. No questions asked. No warrior team required. You are allowed to come and go to any tunnel you desire. It also grants you access to information on the tunnels. Simply go to either the Warrior or Scout Association buildings, show a clerk your permit, and they will dispatch a runner to fetch the information for you." Clau took a pause to drink more water. Age seemed to have done a number on his ability to talk.

"We can offer you a steady supply of funds to live within the village comfortably, we will inform our craftsmen to give you discounts on your gear and equipment commissions, and we can offer you food and supplies to support your missions." Along with the purple permit, the assistant placed down a contract paper, which had all the things Clau was speaking of listed.

"In exchange, we ask for you to continue to clear the tunnels and support our operations." While it all sounded nice, Jake wasn't swayed just yet. He pushed the paper away.

"All of that, just for me? Why? You have individuals like Mur. You have the Red Squads. Why am I different?" He asked. The offer was something he found worthwhile and it gave him all the freedom he needed with the comfort of the village at his back. However, it didn't change the fact that he had no official binding to the village itself. He had no reason to accept anything.

"Mur is an important mentor to our young Scouts and provides a strong foundation to our new guides. He is a stern and stable individual who has regularly produced capable individuals. Those who he trains tend to have long records in the tunnels," Clau said.

"As for the Red Squads, the level of competency among them has declined. With the number of regular teams shrinking, Red Squads have been sent out into the tunnels more frequently. And with that-"

"They've died more," Jake cut in. Clau nodded.

"The reduced number of Red Squad members caused us to rethink what we defined as a high-tier individual, and we struggled to refill their ranks. Over time, the quality of the fighters has dropped, and we can no longer rely on even our best. So, we are asking you. Will you help us?" Clau finally made the point and asked his question.

The village was in trouble, and Jake had an idea as to what had caused it. When Chul left, the one thing holding the Maedra back and keeping them in fear was gone. The Maedra flourished in the absence of a larger threat that could keep their numbers low and the Villages which lived within the tunnels of the Ravine suddenly found themselves outnumbered, and outmatched. Ewana's council and upper ranking Scouts and Warriors were likely all a bit concerned about what may happen. Then, conveniently, Jake appeared. A Surface-Walker capable of fighting and defeating the Maedra.

The council would be stupid not to try to offer him something.

"I want a team. I can't fight in the tunnels alone," Jake said. He grabbed the purple permit and held it in his hands, looking it over to make sure it wasn't just a piece of paper and was actually legitimate.

"A team? Why would you need a team?" One of the other councilmen finally spoke up. Clau shot him an angry glare to shut him up.

"Because I'm not an idiot. The Beasts are dangerous. I can kill most of them, but they're evolving. I can't fight them all by myself. Not yet." Jake set down the permit. "I need five Scouts, two warrior teams, one healer, and four runners."

"That's quite the ask when our numbers are already thin across the board." Clau seemed ready to negotiate. Unfortunately for him, Jake wasn't the one who was begging.

"It might be but that is my request. Get me that and I'll take your offer," Jake said.

"Done," Clau answered without hesitation. The others turned to look at him but his eye was glued to Jake. Jake smirked and plucked the paperwork from the table. "Do you want a roster? Or should we select them for you?"

"A roster will do fine but I have an idea already. I'll send a letter." Jake slid out of his chair and headed for the door. The councilmen began to mumble to one another but none called to stop the boy. The conversation was done. The door was opened and Jake stepped out into the hall. The woman who had escorted him in stepped up beside him to escort him out.

"We've already arranged many of the supplies and incentives for you," the woman said.

"Oh?" Jake muttered. She nodded and passed him a small piece of paper and a key.

"This is a key to a home on the edge of the village. On that slip is an account where your funds will be automatically stored for you at the village bank. We will notify the bank of any increases that need to be made and will send your rewards directly to it after your trips."

"Deliver this key for me, I have no need for it." Jake returned the item to the woman, who looked confused.

"Uh... Excuse... me?" She muttered.

"There are three Scouts I would like that key to be given to instead. I have no need for it." Jake would live comfortably in his self-made hut. It gave him peace, quiet, and the Council wouldn't be able to bother him randomly. They would likely have eyes on the building, too.

"Oh, okay. Who would you like it to be given to?"

"A young woman named Yae, and her two brothers- Tul and Xul. Yae is a healer for the scouts. Tul and Xul are Green and Blue scouts. They'll make better use of the house than I will."

"Friends of yours?"

"...yea," Jake muttered. Though, after his encounter with Yae, he wondered if they still thought of him like that.

The woman followed Jake to the door and the two parted ways there. She assured him the other incentives would be prepared for him in a day or so, but Jake wasn't worried. The council would keep their word, or they would risk losing his trust.

What they didn't know was that regardless of the outcome, Jake had no intentions of leaving the village. Ewana wasn't his home, but he was invested in keeping it safe. His friends, the people he'd met, and the Warriors he had fought with. They were more than just faces and names. They were each a reason for him to keep fighting. After witnessing the aftermath of the failed Operation and how hurt the village was after losing so many, Jake couldn't just abandon the place.

He would play his part. If not for the council, then he would at least do it for the people.


If you're reading this on any site other than ScribbleHub or RoyalRoad, it's been stolen. Please report such theft to myself, Jink Chemist, on either of the previously mentioned Sites. I ask that you support my work by viewing, commenting, and following my book on those sites instead! Thank you!

3