Chapter 5: The Other Side (3)
455 2 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When I came too, I was roused to the muffled sounds of my companions talking and feeling something was being put into the trunk behind me.

One of the girl's school coat slid off me as I rose. How thoughtful of them.

Putting it aside, I opened the door to investigate what was going on, taking my dagger and lamp with me.

It was there that I was greeted to the sight of both of them being extremely excited as they held onto potions and bandages in their hands, shoving it into the trunk already stuffed with a variety of items that I inferred they raided from stores.

"What happened?" I asked, wanting to know generally what was going during my time of absence.

"Oh, you know, we went around getting some things. It's pretty cool, like check this out." Na Bori bubbly handed me one of the potions that I peeked at.

[Item: Minor healing potion]

Rating: E

Use: Heals minor injuries instantly. One use.

Description: A healing potion from another dimension found in a clinic.

+

Reading through the text that popped up carefully but quickly, I glanced at Na Bori and Lee Jihye's current state.

"You know, I'm starting to think things are not so bad. We weren't attacked at all when we went to raid the stores." Na Bori laughed, her eyes brighter and complexion rosier than they had been when she first entered the scenario.

"Mhm, I feel so refreshed now, like I could fight a hundred monsters right now," Lee Jihye swung her arm in demonstration.

However, instead of feeling energetic like my fellow companions, I only felt a bad premonition at their liveliness. It was as if they were planting a flag.

"Haha, it was a great idea to trust you," Lee Jihye smacked my shoulder good-naturedly, causing me to stumble slightly.

I wondered how Lee Jihye's stat strength grew so much. Oh yeah, she probably had a beginner package on due to her sponsor.

"Anyways, it's been almost an hour since you were unconscious-" Na Bori piped in, a smile still on her lips-

[The time of flood has been shortened. 1 hour is remaining. Please pay heed.]

[59:59]

I was a little surprised at the declaration, but the baptism of the last incident caused me to feel the whole thing to be acceptable. Although, the question now was why things were going awry from the original.

I could see that smile freeze in place in Na Bori's face, and Lee Jihye also paused, trying to process the information.

"Wait, but we still had 2 hours left-?!" Na Bori screeched, her eyes bulging out of her sockets disgracefully.

"Hey, do you have a plan for this?!" Lee Jihye's head whipped around from looking at her surroundings, beginning to shake my shoulders.

Which made me feel like it was going to bring on a headache after having just woken up.

It was clear they had forgotten this part of the scenario after being distracted from their haul of stuff. Honestly, they should never forget that danger was always imminent after experiencing scenarios for themselves.

"If-you-stop-shaking-me-and-calm-down-I-can-say-my-plan-" As I tried to coherently piece together my words after being shaken, Lee Jihye thankfully stopped rocking my poor body of only physique lv. 3.

The two quieted down and listened to me this time, which was an improvement to the last time.

"We are going to need oil, and a lot of it to set on fire. Na Bori, let's go to the gas station. And as for all the loot you've guys gathered..." As I spoke I looked at the glittering items in the trunk,

"You're not going to be able to carry all of it, so just take some that you think you might need. Just put them in a bag. As we move, I'll keep talking." Trying to focus and calm down, I suppressed my rising unease.

Was this the best plan? Was this the right way forward? Did we have enough time in preparation for everything? I didn't know.

We got back in the car after Na Bori and Lee Jihye shoved all the things they could into their bags (which were also items)

"Also, please stop me at any time if you have any better plans or better ideas. We are going to need it, or we may all die because of mistakes." Sounding like the people in question were not involved, I spoke in a way that was indifferent and casual. In this way, I hoped they would keep as calm as me when they spoke.

"So...what is my role?" Lee Jihye, abandoning the seatbelt, turned around and asked me while kneeling in the front seat, her hand wrapped around the shoulder of the seat.

"To tide out the last hour of the flood, we will need you to keep your ghost fleet out for as long as possible and defend against the ghosts. Especially since we will be dumping oil to set on fire beneath us." I answered.

"Of course, I will still like to think of the ghost fleet of yours as a last resort, since you said you may only be able to hold on for 20 minutes. Perhaps less." I nodded my head.

"Huh, when did I say that?!" Lee Jihye, looking offended at me, corrected, "I said at least 20 minutes, and that means I can hold on for more!"

"Well, that's in the worst-case scenario. Hey, Lee Jihye, remember, this is not a walk in the park. So you have to think of the worst things that can happen and plan for them." I looked into her eyes, hoping she could read my intentions for her to not underestimate the scenario.

I wonder if such an unguarded Lee Jihye was the result of me saving her friend. It wasn't a bad thing, but it also wasn't a good thing, because the Lee Jihye before me was now a different Lee Jihye who did not take the scenario as seriously.

Lee Jihye snorted and rolled her eyes as a result.

I tried to interpret the meaning, and an inkling of understanding flashed through me. Obviously, someone telling her what to feel or do, especially a total stranger, was not flattering. However, I didn't take back my words, because I felt I still needed to say them.

"Anyways, hopefully there is an oil tank truck still there." I murmured, not directed at anyone in particular, but also wanting to reach the other passengers in the car. To get rid of the stifling atmosphere, and to also reassure myself.

Still, the ride was mostly silent. Perhaps everyone was getting tired, or that no one knew what to say. Suddenly, I felt like we had grown distant once again, despite feeling closer only a moment before.

In this way, we reached the gas station and luckily found a gas truck.

Maybe there was someone out there that wished for our journey to be smooth sailing, even though that was my own wishful thinking.

"Na Bori, can you drive this thing?" I turned to Na Bori to ask.

Her expression turned a little awkward in the mirror as she replied, "Erm...I don't think so. I've never driven a truck before. But hey, there's a first for everything!"

Na Bori joked a little, wanting to lighten the mood.

I tried to chuckle along, "Ok, but don't drive us into a ditch."

"Before that, to tear a hole into this tank when the flood comes, we are going to need stronger stats. Do you guys know how they work?" I once again focused our attention to the task at hand.

"Yep, I checked my attribute window before. Kinda bizarre, because it's like those games." Lee Jihye nodded her head.

"Me too." Na Bori also said.

"Well, this should be the last time we can look at them and brainstorm. How will we cooperate when repelling the ghosts?" I scanned my companion's faces, trying to read them, for what, I wasn't sure. 

"I can use my stigma to inspire you and repel the ghosts. I think." Na Bori was the first to contribute.

"Inspire?" I asked, wondering what kind of stigma Na Bori had. If my guess was right, then Na Bori's sponsor was a certain constellation currently in the broadcast. I glanced upward to where I presumed the dokkaebi was.

"Mm, it's a little hard to explain. It's like, I guide you to find a way to solve a problem?" Na Bori ruminated over her choice of words.

"Um, ok?" I tilted my head, comprehending but not comprehending.

"Oh, nevermind, you'll find out when the time comes." Na Bori looked a little frustrated at my reply.

...did my reply make her dislike me?

"Anyways, so I just need to invest into strength right?" Lee Jihye was already on the action with those words.

"Ac-actually, you will need a higher magic stat for your stigma. After all, we're relying on-" Trying to explain, I looked at Lee Jihye who had a face of something similar to horror.

"Say that sooner!"

"Okkkaaayy, nevermind." I sighed lightly and held my forehead with my hand. "Well, it's time to think of other plans now that it's happened."

I adjusted.

"Does using your stigma also require magic power?" I turned to Na Bori once more.

"Yes. Oh right, I should equip myself." Smiling mischievously, Na Bori took bracelet upon bracelet, necklace upon necklace out of her bag, until Na Bori looked like a jewelry station. 

I peeked at one of the items.

[Item: Bad quality jade-bracelet]

Rating: E

Use: increases magic stat by 1.

Description: despite being bad-quality, this jade still retains natural qi. Perhaps that is the reason it can raise the wearer's magic stat.

+

Oh crap. Na Bori had at least a dozen of these on her, so her magic stat must be in the double digits now.

That being said, I said to carry things that they needed. What kinds of things did they shove in there randomly?

"Did anyone pick up any magic replenishing items?" I looked around through the trunk of the items not shoved into the bags.

"We didn't find a lot of them, but I have 3 and Lee Jihye has 2." Came Na Bori's timely reply as I shuffled through the items but couldn't find any relating to replenishing.

"Their efficiency?" I retreated from the trunk as I came to their sides.

"Mine can only replenish 2% of magic power each..." Na Bori furrowed her brows, a little disgruntled.

"I have one at 5% and the other at 2%. Huh, now that I think about it, isn't this just junk?" Lee Jihye snorted in derision.

Well, even after equipping items that could enhance the magic stat and these small replenishing magic potions, it wasn't for certain if we could hold on for long enough.

I thought for a while. Did I have to rely on the dokkaebi bag? Problem was, even with my unnatural performance thus far in knowing things, the big bomb would be knowing about the Dokkaebi bag.

After all, the information of knowing there would be items in a museum was only a minor upset compared to knowing about the Dokkaebi bag. And I did not want any extra attention as of now, not when we were only circus clowns directed by the scenario, watched by the constellations and played by the dokkaebi.

We were too weak.

So for now, I could only take this gamble. Perhaps if I was smarter, I could devise a scheme to take advantage of my knowledge and propel myself forward.

To be bold, to be unafraid. But for me, self-preservation was my motto.

But is this really the best way forward...? Maybe if you think enough... No, stop. 

I gritted my teeth imperceptibly, keeping the next collapse at bay. I may shatter if I fail, but I have not failed just yet.

"...Hello? Hello! Earth to classmate A!" Lee Jihye snapped her fingers in-front of my face.

I snapped back to the situation after my fear had caused my thoughts to drift.

"..Yes? Sorry, what were you guys talking about?" The uneasy haze started to fade away once more as I put all my attention to my companion's next words.

"We're going to borrow a transporting vessel next!" Na Bori waved the truck keys in her hands. I wasn't sure how she found them.

"What do you-Oh," I started, and then realization struck me. That was a viable plan, going aboard a ship, but there were also several problems.

"So, do you know how to operate a ship? How to hoist and anchor, or to bring this truck up there? Also, where would you get the ship to turn on its motor, anyway?" If we could not answer these questions, we would not be able to use them.

"Can't we just figure them out along the way?" Na Bori pouted, and even though she may have thought about these problems without me pointing them out, she had been optimistic about it.

Well, everyone needed this kind of hope.

Now that I looked at Na Bori more closely, her face was pale once more but she wouldn't let that spark in her eyes die.

"...How about using the top of a building so that the flood doesn't reach us?" Lee Jihye pointed upwards to the top of a skyscraper.

"But how do we get the truck up there?" I was frustrated with the limited options around us. If this was the case, we needed to abandon the truck. However, without a sufficient amount of oil to combust, it would be hard to fend off the ghosts.

Lee Jihye thought for a moment, and then slapped her thigh in excitement,

"Just use a crane! The really big one right there!" Lee Jihye pointed to the crane that was being used in construction of another tall building.

"No, but-" The words 'how do we operate a crane' and 'is that building really stable' was interrupted by  Na Bori,

"Leave it to me! I have a useful item here for that!"

And then she hopped into the truck and plopped the key into the ignition, turning it until the truck began its rumble.

I struggled for a moment, but decided to trust them. It may be a stupid decision, but it wasn't like I had any better plans.

"Ok, let's hurry up."

I glanced at the timer.

[23:49]

Not much time was left.

29