Chapter 29: Jung Youngho (2)
161 7 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A/N: University is coming up for me so there's going to be slower updates. I'm not sure how frequently I'll be able to update, but I'll try once a week?

After we exited the room, I began thinking about what I wanted to do about Jung Youngho.

"Well, as you think about it for a while, I'm leaving." Mrs. Wang informed me and then began to walk away.

"Going where?" I quickly asked.

"I need to check up on Gravy and the others. It's going to be hard to keep all these stations under control now that you've become a 'king'." Mrs. Wang replied, her back still turned toward me.

"Oh." Mrs. Wang stopped mid-step and looked back, "Right, you're 'Not a King'."

After giving me a smile, Mrs. Wang resumed walking and left me to watch her leave.

I turned back to the break room housing Jung Youngho, and then to Mrs. Wang's back rounding a corner.

Sighing, I groaned and pushed my growing hair back.

Well, the first order of things was to change my clothes and wash my hair, at least.

But even while I was doing that, there was no privacy from the spying constellations, especially from the Great King Heoncheon Hongdo Gyungmum.

Even if I changed behind a stall, that wasn't going to stop the lecherous constellation, but even if I was uncomfortable with it, I would rather endure that than stay in these ragged clothes.

Besides, he wasn't interested in me in the least. Why? Well,

[Great King Heoncheon Hongdo Gyungmum comments that you are a skinny monkey, extremely unappealing.]

[Great King Heoncheon Hongdo Gyungmum says you shouldn't bother washing your hair, because it's still a bird's coop, smelly and messy.]

[Great King Heoncheon Hongdo Gyungmum sneers and then says even animals would be repulsed by your reflection.]

[Great King Heoncheon Hongdo Gyungmum...]

Was that constellation's personality like this? He was hopping up and down, piping mad that his incarnation was reduced to this state so he could no longer synchronize with them and reincarnate into the scenario, but he couldn't do anything due to the scenario restrictions.

I looked at the ceiling and spoke.

"There is a story I once heard about Zhuangzi who wanted to get back at his monk friend. Dressed in his best robes, he went over and told his monk friend that his, the monk's, robe resembled the colour of crap, and that his friend looked the same as crap. Zhuangzi laughed about it and asked his friend how he, Zhuangzi, looked, and the monk friend said Zhuangzi looked like Buddha. Thinking he won, Zhuangzi went home happily, but his sister told him the truth of his monk friend's words. In Buddha's eyes, everything is like Buddha, for he is buddha. But if you think everything looks like crap, then what does that make you inside?"

[Great King Heoncheon Hongdo Gyungmum is telling you to stop beating around the bush.]

I laughed, "You don't need to know if you don't understand."

It's not like you can do anything to me anyway.

As a constellation that was sorely hated by the other Korean Peninsula constellations, he was a constellation who didn't have any backing.

In a way, he was a poor constellation, especially since after he was overthrown, people tried to erase his name. This constellation did not receive a temple name, which monarchs should receive to be honored after death by their descendants.

I don't think anyone would've paid respect to your tomb during Qingming day?

[Great King-]

"You should save your breath. Posting these messages uses coins, and I don't think you have many of them left."

I've always wondered, how did these historical figures get caught up in the scenarios? There's nothing about it in history, and if scenarios descended all over the world back in the day, there shouldn't be an 'Planetary System 8612' to speak of.

[Great King Heoncheon Hongdo Gyungmum is enraged at your insolence.]

"Welp, you didn't take my advice so what should I do? Poor little ol' me is getting attacked by this brute." I mock wiped a tear away from my eye. "You can't even contribute to your incarnation-"

Wait.

Something flashed through my mind.

I think I know what I want to do with Jung Youngho now.

"-Ahem, but I may be able to do something to help your incarnation."

[Great King Heoncheon Hongdo Gyungmum says, 'preposterous'. He will kill you if he has the chance.]

"But you can't." I blurted out to his nth time of death threat, "And you also can't interfere with the scenario, and therefore, can't do anything for Jung Youngho. And since you're here bothering me, it seems your incarnation is not communicating with you either."

Great King Heoncheon Hongdo Gyungmum, or Yeonsangun of Joseon to be shorter, was silent this time, giving me a moment of reprieve.

"I'm sure you don't want your legend to stop here either, do you?" I continued.

Even if I really don't want to help Jung Youngho because he's just trash, since he's now here, I should make the most of it.

The Tyrant King was a great deterrent to the other 'kings', and if he didn't appear, to admit, there would be no order.

After all, weaker forces allied with others to defend against a stronger force, and in that, is order.

In essence, if there is no alliance, there is only a free-for-all, and I wasn't confident to come on top with the scuffle of a hodgepodge of kings.

Even if I knew the novel, it didn't mean I would be able to get through everything no-bars-held, especially since too many things had changed. I also had a rude awakening several times to the fact of not depending on the events of the story fully.

Would helping Jung Youngho get back on his feet make me the enemy of everyone? Would he try stabbing me in the back as well?

I would say yes to those two questions.

But I would still have the advantage.

Sure, such a thing was foolish long-term, but there was an urgent event upcoming that decided the fate of the future, so I chose to sacrifice a good reputation.

I was always doubted and attacked, anyway.

[Great King Heoncheon Hongdo Gyungmum reluctantly agrees and bestows a contract for you to sign.]

My lip twitched.

[Behind the Scenes Contract]

  1. The (Eul) will sign a contract with Great King Heoncheon Hongdo Gyungmum (Gap) for the (Eul) to help Incarnation Jung Youngho to recover from his mental state on several conditions.
  2. One condition is for the (eul) to swear allegiance to Great King Heoncheon Hongdo Gyungmum (gap) and Incarnation Jung Youngho, in return for Great King Heoncheon Hongdo (gap) to forget about the (Eul)'s previous conducts.
  3. If this contract is signed, Great King Heoncheon Hongdo Gyungmum swears not to kill the (Eul) for now.
  4. The (Eul) will gain the privilege equal to the right-hand man of Great King Heoncheon Hongdo Gyungmum (Gap)

5...

+

[Great King Heoncheon Hongdo Gyungmum is saying you should be proud for getting a contract like this.]

Yeah, no.

Pinching the bridge of my nose and sighing in exasperation, I refused the contract.

The glowing parchment paper before my eyes faded away at my refusal. Contrary to my silent rejection, Yeonsangun of Joseon blew his top.

[Great King Heoncheon Hongdo Gyungmum says it's a waste-]

"Of coins?"

[-of not coins.]

"Yeah sure. Look, I am not the sponsor of Jung Youngho. He is not of importance to me. And also, this is also not how you ask for a favor. You are the one who wants to do something." I shook my head, "And before you say you can find someone else to help, no one wants to help Jung Youngho now that he's lost his scariness."

I looked into the mirror and tried to produce a confident expression.

"I am the highest authority now, not Jung Youngho. What can he do for me? That's right, nothing."

[Youngkik.] I called out to them.

[What is it again? I'm telling you, I'm not your errand Dokkaebi, d*mn earthling.] Despite those words, Youngkik replied instantly.

[...sorry, can you upgrade me to a gold member and purchase a 'Behind the Screens Contract' for me?]

[What did I just say? Nevermind, you never listen.] A little mirth seeped into Youngkik's voice.

[6 000 coins have been used.]

[Congratulations, you have now become a gold member of the Dokkaebi bag!]

Using my coins, Youngkik completed the transaction on my behalf while keeping the broadcasting active.

I wasn't sure why, but I trusted Youngkik despite our rocky start and the fact that we were different species. Therefore, I basically handed my Dokkaebi Bag account to him to manage at times.

[Great King Heoncheon Hongdo Gyungmum hates your c*ckiness and advises you to put a stop to your false bravado.]

I ignored that comment.

"So, do you want to make a deal or not?" Even as I raised my brow and spoke strongly, internally I was ready for this to not work out.

He probably won't take the deal. In that case-

[Great King Heoncheon Hongdo Gyungmum accepts your proposal but will personally end you one day if anything happens.]

Now that I was facing the mirror, I controlled my expression, schooling it into one of complete calmness like I expected it despite wanting to twist my features into surprise.

Since that's the case...

I sent forth my own Behind the Scrnes Contract for Yeonsangun of Joseon to peruse and waited patiently.

[Great King Heoncheon Hongdo Gyungmum is thinking the terms as ridiculous.]

The constellation ruminated over it some more.

I stayed silent.

In the end, Yeonsangun of Joseon could only sign it and agree.

It was said that he was a constellation that walked on a tightrope. He was a constellation that made enemies of everyone. So of course, no one would want to help him and some might rip him off for this.

In contrast, my terms offered were more fair (maybe), and would only take effect if I was able to complete my side of the contract.

So what could he do but resign to the terms offered?

Come to think of it, didn't this also happen with Youngkik? Those two first looked down on me and offered an unfair contract, and only when I blackmailed- ahem, did this work. Both times though, I felt like it went through quite smoothly. I wonder why.

Is there some higher being that is letting this happen?

I scoffed at my own thoughts. Ridiculous.

[The contract has been completed.]

[Due to the contract, part of the authority of commanding incarnation Jung Youngho is given.]

[The duration of the contract is five years and can't be automatically renewed.]

[The contract will only take effect once you complete your side of the terms.]

I smiled up at the ceiling where I assumed the broadcasting camera was.

"Looking forward to working with your incarnation." Not really.

[Great King Heoncheon Hongdo Gyungmum snorts.]

Ignoring that comment as well, I finally exited the restroom and decided my next destination to obtain the items I would need.

I couldn't keep buying everything from the Dokkaebi bag, after all.

It was time to save up some coins.

Standing in-front of the station map, I traced my finger across the path from Dobong station to another particular station.

Chungmuro Station.

14