Chapter 63: One Disaster (5)
30 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Passing through a window broken in a scuffle, Jung Youngho and I warily avoided the shards of glass on the floor as we perked our ears, hidden within the shade of the apartment unit we had infiltrated from the balcony.

"Um, shouldn't we be keeping an eye out for people from Base A? They can ruin our plans-"

"Haha, have no fear! I am a prophet superior to that Anna Croft! Besides, there's no one here right now, and the people from Base A are recovering from an undead swarm anyway."

"Ohh, as expected of our prophet for having predicted that."

They know about the attack? I narrowed my eyes, finding that suspicious. Additionally -

There's a prophet other than Anna? If I had Kim Dokja's [Character List], I would have liked to check.

Unfortunately, I did not, so I could only go on the information being said.

"This time, we'll be the ones to pull ahead. Especially since I have this bad boy."

"Uh, sir, we shouldn't pull that out here."

Since we had hidden thoroughly, it was hard to catch all the details of the people walking past from our angle, causing me to not know what they were talking about.

Soon, the footsteps of the crowd of people walking forward were fading away, along with their voices.

I signaled to Jung Youngho with my eyes to follow them discreetly. However, as none of us had stealth skills, we followed from a far distance away. After all, who knew if the people in that group had a detection skill.

Also, it was coincidental that the people we were following were also heading in a general north-west direction.

But was this really all a coincidence? Somehow, I felt like there was a fate pushing me forward to have discovered them, and followed them.

Let's not think too much.

Shelving back a budding thought I couldn't express, Jung Youngho and I crept closer to the group, until we laid our sights on a large cathedral.

It was a building as majestic and intricately designed, if not more, than the United States capitol. The cathedral stood tall within a surrounding greenery, thankfully barely touched from any damage.

The Washington National Cathedral.

We silently raced across the trees and scaled the building, perching on one of the windows that had been broken and peering into the main cathedral, where the benches below remained relatively untouched.

From Jung Youngho, who thankfully had still kept his [Invisibility Cloak Replica] item, he draped it over us, adding an added layer of protection. We didn't need to keep on the move any longer, because we had found what the group below had come for.

Below the circular stained glass window, in-front of the cathedral benches for sermons was a [Moon Stone], just like the one that Carus had hatched out of.

These people had known that a 'guide' slumbered in this place.

[An otherworldly being is waking up.]

[You've encountered a creature from a different world for the second time in this scenario. As an accomplishment, 'Otherworld Interpreter lv. 1' has become 'Otherworld Interpreter lv. 2'.]

[1000 coins have been awarded.]

Are there any benefits to the level up? I wondered.

The group pouring in mana previously backed up as the [Moon Stone] began to glow with a blinding intensity.

I squinted my eyes as the [Moonstone] cracked apart, and I encountered a guide for the second time.

"Heroes of this world, heed my name. I am Nania, the last ruler of the spirits, brought forth from the realm of Dias to guide your kind." An ephemeral voice shifted from the stone as roots crackled and popped, spreading across the ground and walls in a random manner.

The ground shook.

"O, oh!"

"Look at that!"

Cries of exclamation dribbled out from the crowd.

Branches grew from stone, sprouting viridescent green leaves, until it reached the ceiling. Fragments from the [Moon Stone] scattered and rained down from the branches from the action. Because of the new growth, part of our view was blocked off, but despite this, we did not move.

[The Sanctuary of Spirits has been established.]

A large tree had taken refuge inside the cathedral.

Next, a part of the main trunk split off, rapidly forming something akin to a humanoid form. From that being's throat, a voice resounded, but it also appeared to have been projected from every root, branch and leaf of the tree.

"Ah yes, I can feel the presence of the others who came with me. It appears something has gone awry, for me to wake here alone. Species of Earth, why is that?"

A silence fell upon the group, before one bravely raised their hand and began,

"There is no absolute ruler here. The 'absolute throne' had been destroyed. I even witnessed it happen." 

For once, a puzzled and surprised expression was emitted from the humanoid Nania at the news.

"How...? Whom among you would wish to break the throne?"

"Erm, that wasn't everyone's decision. It had been Prophet Anna-" The incarnation who claimed to have seen the throne being destroyed paused, as if confused by something, "It could only be Prophet Anna. She was the only one there."

Nania decided to give up the topic, speaking placidly, "Well, it matters not who broke the throne. Just know that you have doomed all of Earth for your actions, species of Earth."

The atmosphere in the cathedral had become gloomier from Nania's words, and the group began to chatter.

"What did they mean by that?"

"I knew we shouldn't have let that Anna break the throne!"

"So, does this mean..."

Slowly, their eyes were drawn to someone else, looking towards them for support unanimously. The chatter died down as a result.

A man strode out from the crowd, raising a medal in his hand with clear-cut confidence.

"Ruler of the spirits, Nania! I am Thomas, and I have passed the trial." The man's loud voice projected around the room. It was the same voice as the person who claimed to be a better Prophet than Anna. "Please teach me your skill!"

The humanoid Nania bent down in a bow, not surprised by the fact that an incarnation had brought the protection symbol. It appeared that the custom of bowing as a show of respect was the same for both Earth and Dias.

"Very well, great protector. Then, you will be the one to learn how to commune with the spirits." Nania replied.

"There are spirits on Earth?" Someone muttered under their breath, but they hadn't expected Nania to have picked up their words, much less answered.

"There are, even though they are very weak in a world such as yours." 

I also curiously looked on. After all, although this information appeared in [Three Ways to Survive in a Ruined World], I never saw it in person myself.

"Now, please come closer, great protector."

The man named Thomas drew closer to Nania.

With the movement of their hands, the humanoid Nania manipulated the bark of the tree, which rippled in a disturbing sight as sap flowed and seeped out from the cracks.

Nania gathered this sap, condensing it together until it looked like a cupful of golden liquid.

As a result, the tree withered, with leaves falling off and crumpling onto the ground, and several roots cracked open and remained lifeless.

The humanoid Nania didn't look better, the bark that made up their skin falling to the ground in bits.

"Please...drink this, great protector, so you can establish a connection with sensing the spirits."

To the extent that Nania's efforts caused themselves to be wounded to this degree, showed that they were very sincere, as if they wished to help this world prevent a similar end to theirs selflessly. It was different from what I had expected of the otherworldly being's actions, as there was a hidden motive in helping the incarnations.

After all, perhaps they had made a contract with the star bureau and the dokkaebis to find a place to rebuild their nations if they helped this planetary system of 8612 in the fifth scenario. And perhaps, to get revenge.

However, that didn't truly mean they cared for the planetary system of 8612, nor its inhabitants.

As I watched on, Thomas took that cupful of golden sap and gulped in down, his face turning in surprise at the taste.

He spread his hands out in-front of him, feeling a change.

"You should be able to hear the spirit's voices now. Focus on your new senses." Nania, although sounding tired, addressed Thomas.

Thomas concentrated, and a dash of incredulousness appeared on his face as he lifted his hand to pet something invisible in the air.

"Of course, you still need time to acclimate to your new sensations. What you are currently sensing are only low-leveled spirits. With more proficiency, you should be able to commune with higher leveled ones." Nania explained.

"Oh yes, thank you! Thank you very much!"

With a giddy and elated nod, Thomas thanked Nania profusely and returned to his group.

"Good job Thomas!"

"Yeah, I knew we could rely on you, commander!"

"What's going to be our next step now?"

The cries of his comrades reached Thomas's ears, fueling his mood.

"Hahaha! Obviously, the next step is to show that Anna Croft what's up!" Thomas was laughing uproariously, and a few of his group members began to look at each other in concern.

"Uhhh, commander, is that really a good idea?"

"Thomas, didn't you say they just had an undead invasion? We shouldn't go provoking them right now."

"Also, why do you keep addressing her by her full name..."

Thomas slapped the ones talking to him on their backs, "What is there to fear with me? C'mon, let's get."

Draping his arm around his comrades' shoulders, Thomas eventually exited the doors of the cathedral, with his other group members trailing closely behind, until they drew far into the distance, and silence returned.

The invisibility cloak finally slipped off, restoring a piece of the hidden to the world.

As Jung Youngho stored his cloak away, I leapt down through the cracked window and made my way to Nania, who also did not seem surprised by the unknown intruders approaching them.

"Hello," I greeted, not completely sure whether to follow up by saying, 'How are you doing', as I did not want to appear pompous in showing concern over their state when we never met before, or 'so you already noticed us'.

Well, this is just as well. 

"I have a few questions for you, Ruler Nania." Instead, I gave the last ruler a bow, deciding to get to the point.

"You came from that one from the Ornis, didn't you?"

Nania knows?  That was admittedly scary.

"The spirits have told me. You also have traces of one of the Ornises' aura." Nania's humanoid body imitated what could be said as a smile. "Although, it is strange. How come they only accepted your existence when you appeared in this place, several days ago?"

"We're not really from here." I replied, gesturing to Jung Youngho and I, though not specifying where we had come from, exactly.

Nania looked at Jung Youngho and back toward me, "As you say. I sense that there is a similarity between us, as beings not from this world, but yet, also not exactly the same. In any case, what were the questions you had for this one?"

"Well, we wanted to know everything you know about that one 'disaster'. Warrior Carus has told me that they built up an undead legion, but I'm not sure what their appearance, name or other abilities are."

Nania looked downtrodden at the mention, recalling things they would rather not remember. I was picking open unhealed wounds, but no matter how much guilt I had over it, it was something that I would see through to the end.

"I see. We didn't quite designate a specific name for that one 'disaster'. Some called it [Sovereign of the dead], [Lord of Eternal Unrest], or [Darkness Incarnate]. As for I, the name I gave it was [Bane of Spirits]."

Hm. That isn't a lot of information to go on. Thoughtfully, I rubbed my chin.

"As for additional abilities, it would be the fact that the undead serve as its eyes are ears, and it was through this trait that it heard of our strategies and plans, only to foil them. Due to that, great disasters ran rampant, and it was hard to find somewhere safe without any prying undead creatures. Another ability-" Nania's humanoid figure and leaves upon the tree shook as if with fear, "-Is that its undead are able to undergo an incubation period. At first, we were puzzled by the sense of peace being restored, and our fighting spirits had risen after we took care of every last undead."

"At least, that was what we thought. Until one raised the point that things had gone too smoothly, too easily. And then,"

Now, I could even feel the branches and roots shake, bringing with it the shaking of the building that caused me to feel a similar state of agitation.

"The earth cracked apart, and the darkness seeped out from the abyss. Foes stronger than we've ever encountered before poured forth, stronger than they had been in the past. What happened that allowed a common mortal to be able to take out an undead of similar strength in the past, now required three."

"After the undead underwent incubation, they became stronger than before the process occurred."

The images of the empty streets of Washington DC that I found strange flashed through my mind.

Something was connecting the dots in my head too quickly, and I was filled with the urge to curse.

Crap. Isn't that what's happening now?

However, Nania didn't wait for the shock in my heart to pass as they continued,

"It was indeed a nightmare."

"A nightmare #

After that, Nania was incoherently spilling out words that I couldn't comprehend even with my [Otherworld Interpreter lv. 2], but it appeared they had been saying the same thing over and over again.

Clear that the being called Nania was undergoing a mental breakdown of sorts, with the cathedral still shaking, I attempted to call out to them.

"Ruler Nania!"

The previous Nania, who appeared to be unruffled by all that happened around them, filled with wisdom and life, had in fact, been reduced to this raving state.

It left a bitter taste in my mouth. Can I do something? Do I even deserve to?

"Oi, shouldn't we be getting out of here?" Jung Youngho shouted over the intensifying shaking, warily glaring at the humanoid Nania as he grabbed my arm to make a run for it.

But just as the shaking reached an all-time-high, it suddenly stopped, and the humanoid Nania in-front of us had finally broken apart into pieces of bark that slotted back into the tree it had come from.

Silence descended upon the cathedral.

Jung Youngho and I stared, unsure of what to make of the situation, and moments passed just like that.

Then, the ever ethereal and calm voice then called out from within,

"My apologies for losing myself to fear. I temporarily sent myself into a short episode of hibernation. Now, before I send myself down the same harrowing experience, I will relay the rest of my thoughts to you quickly. Please come forth and touch my trunk."

"How can we trust you?" Jung Youngho looked at the tree with skepticism, not trusting after the previous fiasco. "Hey!"

The second shout was for me, who had already made it to the tree's large trunk. I touched it, regardless of what would happen next. A vision and sensation that was not human flashed through my mind.

The wind swept past, and 'I' had suddenly made my way halfway across the continent, quickly narrowing in on a petite cloaked figure. However, before 'I' could get closer, a searing pain erupted through my entire being, and then 'I' couldn't see anything at all. There was no scent of life, sensation of connection with the wind, soil, plants, animals or spirits.

There had only been an eternal death.

"Is it an addiction to you to be reckless, f*cking brat?" Jung Youngho screeched from beside my ear, tearing me apart from the tree trunk.

My eyes fluttered open as I gasped.

"As you can tell, I was unable to come close to that 'disaster'. Only death followed their wake, and because he was able to bring death to spirits, even to those that are eternal, he is the [Bane of Spirits]." Nania's voice came soon after I stabilized my breath.

Jung Youngho, finding he had enough with the current turn of events, slotted me under his arm unceremoniously and was making his way from the way we came.

"We're leaving."

Nania made no fuss at Jung Youngho who kicked the roots on his way out. They only merely said,

"Goodbye, you who have been here since the beginning."

0