Chapter 67: Daybreak (3)
27 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

What's happening over there?

I heard an audible gulp from near me, and realized it had been Thomas who had swallowed nervously.

Through the undead energy chilling my skin, I asked Thomas a question.

"Whose side are you on?"

"Pardon?" With fear still fresh in his eyes, he looked at me with confusion.

"Are you going to be on Anna's side, or as an enemy? Why do you know so much about her circumstances?" I narrowed my eyes.

Thomas opened his mouth and closed it, resembling a goldfish, then bitterly shook his head, "There's no point in asking that at this point. I am on the side of humanity. Although I may have a rivalry with that Anna Croft, we are not enemies-"

Then, Thomas suddenly exclaimed animatedly.

"If we were ambushed like this, then...! No, no, I'm being warned." Colour was draining from Thomas's face as he trembled, face full of fearful realization of something I didn't.

After his rambling, he noticed that I and the others had been staring at him quietly with various expressions.

"I, um, thank you for saving us, but I need to check up on something. Sorry."

His eyes were shifting around and he was sweating, face still chalk white.

I grabbed onto his arm before he could escape, "Wait."

Thomas looked at me with a pleading look in his eyes as he mumbled,

"Please."

He...

There was something in the way he was looking at me that caused my hold to loosen.

"Thank you."

Without realizing it, I watched on as Thomas and his other surviving team members were sprinting through the streets with urgency, even when they tripped over debris, their steps resounding over the ground.

-Step, step, step!-

I looked down at my hand.

Why had I let go?

Also...

Why did Thomas react like that earlier? I wondered, but I didn't have the luxury to analyze it further.

-WOONG!-

"Ugh."

A blast of renewed energy causing another deeper chill to pervade my body snapped my attention back to over the distance where the source was coming from.

I need to go there.

Traveling the opposite direction that Thomas had departed in, I rushed across the ground toward the source of the undead energy.

"Secretive Plotter, Sorrowful Heart of Silver, can you fill me in on what's going on?" I asked with urgency, hoping they would provide me with information.

['Sorrowful Heart of Silver' tells you in distress that you will not like what you will see.]

[The constellation, 'Secretive Plotter', says you shouldn't have let the boy go earlier.]

Their words were making the stone in my stomach sink further.

"Can you tell me in more detail?"

[The constellation, 'Secretive Plotter', says that you should see for yourself.]

['Sorrowful Heart of Silver' apologizes.]

I bit my lips, saying nothing more. Instead, I sped up, chanting only one word in my mind.

Faster. Faster. Faster. I have to get there faster.

Some premonition was clamoring inside my mind.

And then, a scene unfolded before my eyes.

Without thinking about it more, I slammed my leg against the ground, heel and toes digging into the pavement, as I leapt forward with an instantaneous speed-

-Clang-

I redirected the familiar sight of a halberd from slashing down upon Anna Croft.

"Jung Youngho-ahjussi, what do you think you are doing-!" I snarled out, as Jung Youngho backed off.

His feet slid across the ground.

"Why are you taking that b*tch's side?!" Instead of answering my question, Jung Youngho challenged with one of his own.

Before I could speak to Jung Youngho, two incarnations at the side leapt at Jung Youngho.

Why are they-?!

"Stop!" I cried out, dashing out with my superior agility and flicking the incarnations' attacks to the side.

However, before I could speak to Jung Youngho, he had rushed across the ground to intercept Selena who had been sneakily making her way over to a familiar boy.

Eun HaNa was currently lying on the ground, unconscious and oblivious to the world that sought to bring him harm, but was the source of all the undead energy that I felt.

[Skill, 'Thunder and Lightning lv. 2' has been activated!]

Purple lightning crackled as Selena attacked.

Gritting his teeth, Jung Youngho slammed the halberd to the ground and leapt upwards, allowing his halberd to act as a lightning conductor as he tried to escape the range.

However, the danger was not over.

"Take this!" Screaming out, Iris, who leapt upwards to an inconceivable height to humans, supported by the wind, conjured a small twister in the air toward Jung Youngho, who could not dodge.

Crossing his arms before him, Jung Youngho braced for impact as the wind slammed into his unprotected body.

More scratches oozing blood poured out as he fell to the ground, but at least he had protected his vital areas.

"Anna, Selena, Iris, what are you guys doing?!" I rushed to Jung Youngho, attempting to shield him as I struggled to come to terms with the situation.

There was no way I could be calm.

Iris and Selena returned to Anna Croft's side as she gave me a leveled stare.

"You should know. We must kill the final disaster."

"Over my dead body! What did he ever do to you?! He's only a sweet, innocent boy. If only you hadn't appeared!" Jung Youngho growled out from behind me.

Anna Croft also became charged and angered at Jung Youngho's words, her eyes becoming chillier, "You are in a delusion. That disaster tricked you. After time is up, it will regain its full power, and kill everything in the Washinton DC dome, even you."

My heart rate sped up at the confrontation. There was some part of me that wanted to deny that two people I knew were fighting each other.

What am I supposed to do?

I learned what I had feared the most.

Eun HaNa's curious face flashed across my eyes, from when he asked Jung Youngho how he had performed his magic trick.

Now, I had learned that Eun HaNa was the final disaster, 'Boy Summoned to Another World', and the source of all the undead that we had encountered since arriving to this worldline.

What was the right choice in this situation?

"Step aside, both of you. This is my last warning." Anna Croft's gaze unabashedly struck me head-on, and I wavered.

If Eun HaNa was the final disaster behind me, if what I saw was just a facade made by the disaster to fool us, then if I didn't step aside, would I cause everyone to die indirectly?

Jung Youngho walked back and pulled out his halberd, staring down at Anna Croft and the other incarnations, fearless in the face of numbers.

But what if what I saw with Jung Youngho was real? What if the boy behind me was 'Eun HaNa' just as Jung Youngho said he was? Could I justify condemning Eun HaNa to death?

But then, what if everyone else died? No life weighed more than the other.

Stalling, the thoughts in my mind swirled in circles and circles as dizziness assaulted my mind. Tinnitus swarmed my ears, and suddenly, I wanted to run away from it all.

I want to retreat to my safe haven. Lock the door. Tune out the outside world.

You should have listened. An inner voice whispered. You shouldn't have cared.

I watched as Anna Croft's lips moved, but the words being said sounded murky and from a far-away place.

Maybe the shaking I was feeling beneath me as I watched the world bob up and down was also because of my state.

However, I could make out some words as her face turned into startlement.

"Below."

"Move."

[Skill, 'Enhanced Reflexes lv. 4' is strongly activated!]

[Skill, 'Enhanced Reflexes lv. 4' has leveled up to 'Enhanced Reflexes lv. 5'!]

Before conscious thought, I grabbed onto Jung Youngho and rushed toward Anna Croft, the ground cracking and fracturing below me as I ran.

-C-crack! Bam!-

Something was breaking through the ground, pieces and parts of infrastructure jutting out as I ran in a zig-zag pattern, avoiding falling debris from the buildings in the periphery, and the metal support rods sticking out the ground.

Water spurted from broken underground pipes, drenching both our figures.

A low, disconcerting howl broke out across the area, drilling into the group's ears, and intense pressure slammed down across our figures.

"No, it's impossible! This is only the 5th main scenario!" I heard Anna Croft exclaim from beside me.

Groaning, my knees bent as I watched on as a massive being supported themselves out of the ground.

[4th grade undead monster, 'Frankenstein's Monster' has been summoned!]

It wasn't exactly the monster from the novel 'Frankenstein', but it was much worse.

The massive humanoid monster made up of a wriggling mass of corpses, all howling with mouths open wide as individual arms reached out from the monsters as if to escape, or grab onto others to join their misery, along with each face's dark, pitiless eyes, made nightmare fuel.

[Skill, 'Mental Fortitude lv. 4' --> 'Mental Fortitude lv. 5']

Some of the weaker-minded incarnations fell to their knees and mumbled prayers.

And along the 4th grade abomination, countless undead poured out from the cracks in the ground, roaring in their own right.

Many 5th grade and 6th grade undead flaunted their status, along with the now common-place 7th grade.

-SCREEECCHH!-

Mutated large birds, insects and bats screeched and took to the sky, bloating out the light.

Their numbers were mind-numbing. It really looked and resembled the cataclysmic end of all that lived.

But where did Eun HaNa go?

An ear-piercing laughter erupted from the sky, ricocheting off the surfaces of buildings, snapping everyone's attention to the figure standing atop of the palm of the 4th grade monster.

"HAHAHAHAHAT! So, you found out in the end. It was fun while it lasted, though, wasn't it?" The boy tapped their cheek with their finger, and a wide grin rested on their lips.

That was not Eun HaNa.

I could feel it in my heart.

That was the final disaster, 'Boy summoned to another world'.

"Too bad~ Now that my prized possessions are awake, I'm afraid that you've all lost." Shaking his head as if lamenting for us, the final disaster patted the palm of the 4th grade monster.

Even though the situation appeared grim, a corner of my mind found relief, freed from pressure. At least, with something like this, the clear enemy had been identified, and I knew what to do next.

The ringing in my ears died down as the fog in my mind cleared.

Stop, let's not think about it anymore. Let's just do what I can do right now.

I let go of Jung Youngho, who slumped downwards, dazed from the change in the situation.

"It's not him..." Jung Youngho mumbled.

I patted Jung Youngho's shoulder, unsure of how to console him as I stepped forward, at the fore-front of the remaining members of those who were alive.

But what can I do that can overturn this situation?

A new kind of pressure and anxiety enveloped my being as my heart pumped blood rapidly to all my extremities.

Right, if it's them... I gained an idea.

From behind me, Anna Croft's eyes shone as she watched me step forward. The eyes of the other incarnations watched my every move, bringing me with more pressure.

I didn't like this.

However, I needed to do something.

"'Secretive Plotter', 'Sorrowful Heart of Silver', can you give me a temporary sponsor contract?"

[The constellation, 'Secretive Plotter', finds your question ridiculous.]

['Sorrowful Heart of Silver', hesitates, taken aback by your question.]

The eyes of the final disaster as he gazed down at the cornered humans were filled with amusement.

I looked up and met them as I gave the 'constellations' (outer gods) my offer,

"You don't need to sponsor me for long. Just until the 5th main scenario is over."

[The constellation, 'Secretive Plotter' says if you can resolve this crisis, they might consider your words.]

Alright, so I knew I was being shameless. I was asking for something without having value attached to my offer.

I bit my lips in distress.

Well, if that doesn't work, then let's try this.

[Skill, 'Avatar lv. MAX' has been activated.]

[The scenario is questioning the fairness of your skill.]

[You have summoned 3 avatars.]

[Skill, 'Avatar Lv. MAX' has been activated.]

[The scenario is questioning the fairness-]

"That's enough. The final disaster is at this strength, and a 4th grade monster has been summoned without restrictions only in the 5th main scenario. Tell me, hasn't the scenario been unfair for a while? I should be allowed this much."

[...reviewing...]

[Statement has been retracted.]

[Skill, 'Avatar Lv. MAX' has been activated.]

Memories were rapidly being covered up in my mind. A hollow, foggy piece remained behind each instance of my memory being used up to make a new avatar.

[Warning! Excessive use of the Avatar skill will cause you to lose your 'self'.]

-Chutchutchut!-

This time, no one was able to hold back the sparks of probability that crashed around me. However, the silver lining of the situation was that they would not impede my actions too much.

After all, this scenario was already 'unfair', and to balance it, I was able to use more probability.

Viewing the scene below, the final disaster's expression finally changed. It was sensing a threat to their complacent situation.

No longer waiting to relish in the despair of humans, the final disaster pin-pointed my figure still in the creation of new avatars.

"You." The final disaster narrowed its eyes.

However, due to being in a weakened state, the final disaster decided to stay above where it was safe, swinging his hands as a signal for others to attack.

The 5th grade, 6th grade and 7th grade terrestrial undead howled and pounced over, like a bullet being shot from a gun.

Above, the large aerial undead screeched and dove, carpet bombing toward the avatars with deadly intent.

Behind me, incarnations shouted at the change.

"Ah!"

"They're coming!"

The avatars of mine charged forward to meet the enemy. Thankfully, due to inheriting my stats and skills, 7th grade undead were not a threat, and the 6th grade were also manageable. The only problem were the 5th grade undead.

I ran forward with my dagger alongside my avatars, still producing more avatars in the meantime.

[The skill, 'Dynamic Vision lv. 5' has been activated.]

[The skill, 'Enhanced Reflexes lv. 5' has been activated.]

[The skill, 'Dispel Evil lv. 3' has been activated.]

Hm. I wonder, what do the clothes on Lee Jihye and Na Bori look like again?

What conversation did I have with Mrs. Wang that time again?

Was there a person named 'Young Iljeong' in my memories?

I continuously created more avatars, rapidly filling up the spaces around me. To save as much of my memory as possible, the avatars lacked any discernible features, resembling more like lumps of clay molded to fit a human form.

Strangely, even after creating this many avatars, and more counting, I felt no change in my mana stat. It was as if I had a bottomless resource.

However, even if I still had mana, I was still limited in my memories.

[Warning. Your memories remaining are only: 51%.]

I felt like the number was attacking me somehow. I joked to myself though the dire situation, finally ceasing my avatar creation.

-Slash- I sliced through several 7th grade undead at once.

So, if all my avatars were to die now, that means I would have lost 49% of my memories huh?

Kicking out, the 7th grade undead exploded into a bloody mist.

I smiled.

That's fine. I shouldn't have even existed in the first place. 

I ducked under the blow of a 6th grade and retaliated ferociously, trying to brainwash myself.

Besides, can't I just keep making more memories?

I said so, despite knowing that the lost memories, the story of my life, whether it was exciting or mundane, could never be replaced.

However, that's just how it is. It's better than feeling that twisting feeling and regretting all the lives that were lost.

My dagger rang through the neck of the 6th grade that attacked me, as they roared and dug into the wound in my right arm.

"Ugh!" Pain coursed through my being, but I gritted my teeth, kicking the dagger with my leg and cutting through the whole neck.

Blood sprayed through the air as the 6th grade undead dispersed into smoke, and the 7th grade undead around did not miss their chance.

Their nails and teeth sank into my flesh, but they could not do much damage due to my physique being at lv. 20.

With a burst of strength, although a dagger was not made for this, I spun around, shredding the 7th grade undead surrounding me to bits.

Panting, I breathed all I could at the brief reprieve, wiping away the hair sticking to my face. 

All over the battlefield, my avatars were battling back against the swarm of undead.

This should be enough, right?

After all, I had created close to 10 000 of them...

I rushed back into battle.

A/N: Guys, I have no clue if this chapter makes sense. I feel like I was half-conscious when I wrote it lol. I hope you enjoy nonetheless!

1