Chapter 23- The Situation
18 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With the sun having set, Etrius, Torie, and Abby relocated to the dinner table. Given that this was the residence of a Lord, the table was large to accommodate a large number of guests. Though since only three people were going to be using it, and one was a baby, Torie and Etrius sat next to each other with Abby between them. She now awake from her nap, looked about in curiosity. On the walls, between the windows, were paintings of the Haywood family's ancestors.

Abby looked at the portraits and then Torie, who was comparing two pairs of glasses. For some reason, Abby looked dissatisfied. Looking at the portraits itself, Etrius knew that they looked plain at best. Wherever Torie got her looks from, it obviously skipped a few generations.

 

“Mo!” Abby called out.

“Hungry aren’t we?” Torie smiled, abandoning the glasses.

“Mu!” Abby smiled.

“Oh, aren’t you just adorable!” She smiled.

“Keep acting like that, and she’ll use it against you.” Etrius pointed out.

“I don’t think I would mind if she did.” She said.

“Those are some dangerous words.” It said. “Let’s hope she doesn’t remember them.”

“Do you think she can understand us?” She asked. “I don’t think she can.”

“You would be surprised about what babies can do.” It shrugged.

“Mo!” Abby called out, raising her hands.

“That’s right, you’re very strong.” It said.

“Da!” She called out.

“My, she is quite lively.” Torie smiled.

“She just woke up from her nap, so she’ll be like this for a while.” It said.

“Hopefully she’ll be able to sleep tonight.” Torie said. “If not, I'm in for a bad time.”

“I’m sure you’ll manage.” It said.

“I’m not sure, I’m a light sleeper.” She said.

“That is a lie, you sleep like a log.” It said.

“I do not.” She said, sounding offended.

“You can roll off a bed and stay sound asleep. I promise you that.”

“I would be impressed if I could.”

“I know I was.”

“If that has happened before, why haven’t I woken up on the floor?”

“Did you think I would just leave you on the floor?”

“No, I doubt you would.”

“Mo?” Abby called out, feeling forgotten.

“Don’t worry, dinner will be here soon.” Torie smiled, patting her head.

“Ma.” Abby said, reaching for her hand.

“Ma?” She asked hopeful. “Mama, can you call me mama?”

“Maba!” Abby called out.

“No, mama.” She said. “Ma-ma.”

“Ma…ma.” Abby said. “Mama.”

“Oh my…!” She smiled, covering her mouth.

“Mama. Mama!” Abby repeated, happily.

“That's adorable.” Etrius said with no noticeable change of expression.

“Mama! Mama!.” Abby said.

“Da- dada.” She said, holding back tears, pointing to Etrius. “Say dada.”

“Dabo. Daboo. Da…da.” Abby said. “Dada.”

“Oh my god…” Etrius said, trying and failing to conceal a smile.

“Dada!” Abby called. “Dada!”

“You are too adorable.” It said, patting her head.

“Mama!” Abby called. “Dada!”

 

The two sat there, blushing and with grins on their faces as Abby called out to them.

Somewhere entirely different, stood a nervous man in front of a room of ravenous reporters. This man was the spokesperson for the North American nations in the American Counsel. It was a long night, and only seemed to get longer with every question that came his way.

 

“Mr.Stellers!” A Cascadian reporter called out. “Is it true that American forces were working in the targeted facility?”

“Mr.Stellers! Why is it that UN forces were so easily able to invade Alaska?” A Texan reporter asked.

“Mr.Stellers!” A Mormon shouted. “Could this lead to a full blown war with the European nations!?”

“Mr.Stellers! Are there any other Illuminati facilities on the North American continent!?” A Texan reporter asked.

“The uh…” Mr.Steller cleared his throat. “The Illuminati is not real… it was all… a communist plot…”

“Mr.Steller! We have pictures of Illuminati and American combined forces working together to fight off the UN!” A Californian reporter said, holding up a picture of that exact scene.

“That is uh… It’s a lens flare and some dust…” Mr.Steller said, dabbing away a bead of sweat. “A strange weather phenomenon…”

“And what about the video that was leaked yesterday?” A Mexican reporter asked.

“That was a bigfoot sighting.” He said.

“So, Bigfoot is real?” An Alaskan reporter asked.

“…It was a drunk furry that wandered onto private property…” He said, avoiding eye contact.

 

Long before this point was reached, everyone in the room knew that he was pulling these excuses out of his ass. Part of them wanted to see what else he would claim, as this was after all, the largest security breach in the history of the American Counsel. Not only have they been working for the Illuminati, which they claim to not exist, but they also let a hostile force invade the North American continent for the first time since the attempted Spanish reconquest almost two hundred years ago.

Looking up from his pedestal, Mr.Steller saw more reporters attempting to enter the room. Glancing at his security detail, he looked for any sign that he could call for an end to this interview. Two hours of dodging questions, and denying allegations, no matter how true they were, was really weighing down on him. At some point, the North American governments would have to tell the truth. Currently they worked under the three “D’s” that served them well for many years, “deny, deflect, distract.”

 

“Is Area 51 another Illuminati facility?” The Mormon Reporter asked.

“Area 51 is not real… It is a…” Mr.Steller sighed, thinking of another lie. “A misidentified glitter factory…”

 

Once more he looked at his security. Seeing his desperate look, the man he looked at gave a small nod. A welcome sign. At some point, the North American governments would have to tell the truth. However, that day was not today.

 

“Thank you for all the questions, however we have run out of time.” He said, relieved. “Any more questions will have to wait for another time at another undetermined date. Thank you and goodbye.”

 

Taking his papers of excuses, he ignored the calls of reporters and questions directed at him. Aside from his divorce hearing, this was the longest day of his life, and one he was very eager to put behind him. Though that was harder than he hoped. The aftermath of the attack was still far from over. Though they won't admit it, a counterattack was being prepared. A small one that was unlikely to cause much damage, but one that would hopefully prevent any further attacks on the American continents. Regardless of the outcome, things were going to get messy. Very messy.

"Aawwa…" Abby lazily let out.

 

Sitting in her mothers lap, practically hugging her, Abby was nodding off after a fulfilling meal. With Abby dozing off, Adriana poked her cheek to her heart's content. Abby did her best to protest this, but there was only so much she could do in her current state. Having migrated from the dining room into the lounge they were previously in, The two sat next to each other, with Adriana resting her head on Etrius' side.

This wasn't the first time they had been through this. Almost two weeks had passed since Abby's first night here. She adjusted well to her new surroundings and none of the servants had yet to realize that she wasn't human. Hopefully they never would.

Hugging Etrius' arm, Adriana smiled at its presence. She had been doing this since dinner ended, and each time it arrived. As for how often it visits, it comes over every other day, as if it didn't she would send an urgent summon and waste everyone's time. On another note, because of this, she didn't feel the need to break into its house anymore. Due to this, the servants' opinion of Etrius grew and some of them even stopped fearing it. Only some of them. The minority stopped fearing it, and none of them ever tried to maintain eye contact.

Speaking of eyes, Etrius glanced at Adriana’s. As of late, she kept them closed. Etrius hadn’t even noticed if she opened them during dinner. Noticing its gaze, she turned her attention to it.

 

“Is something the matter?” She asked.

“It’s nothing.” Etrius said. “I was just thinking that it was about time for me to leave.”

“Is it?” She asked, disappointed.

“I’m afraid it is.” It said.

“As unfortunate as it is, I wouldn’t want to keep you for longer than you’re able to stay.” She muttered.

“Of course, you should get some sleep as well. It can’t be easy being the lord of a territory.” It said.

“Temporary lord.” She corrected.

“You still call yourself that after doing this for how many years?” It asked.

“Yes, well until someone changes my title, I will remain as such.” She said.

“Like who?” It asked. “Your parents?”

“Them or someone of higher rank, like the king or someone.” She said. “How do you think the king is doing?”

“Poor bastard is still kicking.” It said. “Those damned ministers are keeping him from dying till they find him a wife and he has a kid.”

“What do you mean? I thought the king was in good health.”

“How could he? He’s so inbred that just looking at him you can tell that he’s his father’s uncle.”

“Is he? He rarely makes public appearances so I never got to see him.”

“Yeah, that's because his bones are rotting away.”

“Is it that bad?”

“It’s worse than you can imagine. It’s not like he has any living relatives they can put on the throne in his stead.”

“I suppose that’s why he’s been so passive in the past few years.”

“It’s been thirty years since his jaw fell off.”

“And we have no one else who is fit to be king?”

“Going by bloodlines? No. If by skill, any of the ministers will do.”

“Yes, well I suppose having foreign experts sitting on the throne is a good way to destabilize the kingdom.”

“I’m wondering if they’ll find someone before there's a succession crisis.” It said.

“I thought you might be worried for the state of the monarchy.” She said.

“Whatever happens happens.” It shrugged. “I’ll be taking my leave.”

“You can’t just tell me that and just leave.” She complained. “Who do you think you are?”

“Don’t worry, the king probably isn’t going to die anytime soon.” It said.

“And what if he does?”

“Dude, I don’t know. I just go after poachers.”

“The kingdom’s best ranger we have here.”

“It all comes with the job.” It said. “Till next time.”

“Yes, we’ll be waiting for you.” She smiled.

 

Adriana, though she said that, stood with Etrius and still held hold of its arm. As usual, she was reluctant when it came time to part. Following their usual routine, they headed to the entrance. Given the size of the residence and time of night, it was relatively empty with only Adriana's head maid walking the halls with them. Looking in Adriana's arms, Etrius saw Abby fast asleep, holding onto her dress. From that care free, idiotic, expression on her face, Etrius couldn't help but smile.

Though it called her a small idiot, Abby was really smart for a baby. Unsure if that was due to Abby herself or from the involvement of the shadows, Etrius could only hope that that was the only odd thing about her. Aside from the fact that she isn't human, that was. That was also odd, but slightly less odd given that various instances of sentience's that Etrius regularly interacted with.

Reaching the entrance Adriana, now in work mode, released her hold of Etrius. Smiling a formal smile, Torie took a step back and gave a light bow. Etrius responded in kind.

 

"Until we meet again." Torie said.

"Peace and safety be with you." Etrius said.

 

It was a short and somewhat informal goodbye, but it was the one that had used time and time again with no problems. If they were in the capital or held different ranks, things may have been different. After all, Torie was only a temporary lord of a minor territory and Etrius was a ranger who wasn't even a noble.

1