Volume 2, Chapter 9 – I Am Ditching
608 6 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Class was annoying to say the least.

Not only did it cover nothing else other than basic subjects like mana control and absorption, but the instructor of the class was pretty much a picture perfect representation of the typical arrogant and antagonistic teacher that you always see in manga or anime that take place in a fantasy school.

Thanks to her collar, Liandra was immediately singled out and ridiculed, leading to her ostracization by most of our classmates. Somehow, I wasn’t caught in the crossfire despite sitting next to her, but I genuinely considered releasing her restrictions on magic usage for a moment.

A brief scan of the room using [Complete Analysis] told me that she’d pretty much annihilate everyone in the classroom including the teacher, but in the end I just stood from my seat abruptly, picking up Liandra as I did so.

Technically, I was neglecting my mission to protect Princess Radeca, but I figured that she’d be fine for now with Sella sitting next to her. Besides, I couldn’t really spare a fuck for the mission right now.

It had already taken most of my willpower to not just crush the instructor.

“...You’re an idiot.”

“Thanks,” I replied sarcastically as I set Liandra down.

The hallway was empty as we made our way through it without disturbing its silence. There were a multitude of things that the both of us wanted to say, but we found it difficult to start a conversation.

After all, we were enemies just a few months ago. My ill feelings toward her were never too great. I mean, she was really just following orders from above, so I didn’t exactly hate her.

But those were my feelings. 

I couldn’t speak for her, but I was pretty sure she still harbored some resentment toward me. After all, I’d pretty much kidnapped her and then destroyed the place that’d been her home for however long.

After a few more minutes of wandering around the halls while class was still in session, we found ourselves in the academy’s inner courtyard.

It was a spacious area that was open to the air, providing a nice view of the clear blue sky. A marble gazebo stood in the center of the courtyard’s hedge garden, giving me the impression that this was probably a popular date spot for students.

Luckily, there were no couples in sight, so Liandra and I took a seat under the gazebo. I looked off into the distance, and I could see through my peripheral vision that she was doing the same as well.

Since we were both too chickenshit to start a conversation, I thought we’d just be sitting like this until it was time for lunch. Surprisingly, I was wrong.

“Why?”

It was just a single word, but it was enough to break the ice.

“Because I felt like it.” I shrugged, continuing before she could interject. “I’ve been there before. Being forced to sit in a room where everyone shuns you or mocks you, unable to do anything about it.”

There was a rather long pause before she responded. Her face was downcast, making it difficult for me to tell what she was thinking. 

At last, she spoke.

“...But I’m your enemy.”

“Nah, not really. I mean, you certainly were my enemy, but not anymore.”

Liandra frowned. “Huh? You think it’s over just because you destroyed the Black Constellation? Don’t get me wrong. We aren’t friends. The first chance I get, I’ll be taking my revenge.”

In response, I merely raised an eyebrow. I couldn’t really tell if she actually meant that, but I didn’t care either way. “You’re free to try any time.”

Again, we lapsed into a lengthy moment of silence before Liandra was the one to break it once more, even if only for a moment. 

Honestly, she was actually rather talkative. If there wasn’t this “barrier” around us, she’d probably be chatting her head off.

“...Thanks.”

“Don’t mention it.”

Again, silence. But this time it was a comfortable sort of silence, as if there was some sort of unspoken understanding between the two of us. At the very least, it looked like she was willing to put away her thoughts of revenge for the moment.

I leaned against the backrest of the bench I was sitting on, studying Liandra as she watched a few birds flit to and fro within the courtyard.

If I hadn’t actually fought her or used [Complete Analysis] on her, I honestly wouldn’t have been able to tell that she was actually a rather powerful mage who was once a cult member.

Beautiful as she was, her round-rimmed glasses gave her a bookish look and her small stature made her look frail and unassuming. It was difficult to ascribe the word “strength” to someone like her, even if her skill level was already far beyond this academy’s scope of learning.

“Say, Liandra. Were you ever told why you were sent here?”

“Huh? Of course I was. Since you’re asking, I suppose it’s time for us to plan out how we’re going to do this.”

“Well, it’s simple, isn’t it? We’ll just keep an eye on her and step in if something happens.”

“What the hell are you even talking about?” Liandra frowned. “We’re here to assassinate the rector, not protect her.”

...What the fuck? Did she get a different mission than me? What the hell are you trying to do, Cyrus?

“Hold on, Liandra. Didn’t Cyrus tell you that we were here to protect Princess Radeca from potential assassins?”

Liandra shook her head, clearly confused about the whole thing. Honestly, I was just as confused as she was. Not only that, but I had serious doubts about Liandra’s mission.

Was Cyrus trying to strike first? Does he already know that the academy’s rector is connected to whoever was behind the Black Constellation, and if so, why the hell didn’t he warn me beforehand?

There were so many questions in my head right now that I didn’t even know what to address first, so instead of busting my brain over that mountain of bullshit, I chose to focus on what I could find out now.

“...Well, shit. It sure as hell sounds like we’re both getting our goddamn strings pulled by Cyrus. I don’t like that one motherfuckin’ bit. What about you?”

“I certainly don’t like dancing to his tune.” Liandra replied. The corners of her lips lifted up into a smile as she sensed what I was about to propose. 

It was the first time I’d actually seen her smile, and unfortunately, I’d have to describe it as nothing less than frightening.

Just what I needed.

“How about you and I really fuck shit up?”

Liandra’s smile only widened. 

“Gladly.”

38