Volume 2, Interlude II – Clipped Wings
299 3 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Remove her from this court immediately!”

A smile grew on Radeca’s face. Despite being unarmed and woefully inept when it came to matters of combat, she was sure that she wouldn’t lose in this particular encounter.

After all, the Sylphid Alliance’s royal council was known for its verbal duels in lieu of crossing swords. At the very least, this was a stage that Radeca felt confident in.

“And why should I?”

Radeca’s voice was gentle and serene, like a shallow stream slowly flowing into a vast lake as it filled the council chambers. There was no need to amplify the sound. Her authority dwelt within every word.

A ripple of confusion spread throughout those seated at the council table, some of them shifting uncomfortably while Radeca’s posture remained elegant and proud. Standing to her right was her close friend and confidant who had graciously chosen to act as her bodyguard for this very meeting.

Princess Sella. She was a complete wild card who had appeared out of nowhere, lending her considerable power—political and otherwise—to the formerly missing elven princess. Of course, Radeca had been cautious around Sella at the beginning. After all, she hailed from the Ardene Kingdom and the two certainly could’ve clashed when it came to a conflict of interest, but right now, the two princess’ interests coincided.

Even amongst the royalty of the western nations, Princess Sella was excessively spoiled by her parents and possessed a great deal of combat abilities and skills. Despite her lack of real combat experience, any would-be assassins would undoubtedly find it difficult to deal with her.

With a powerful ally like that in hand, Radeca’s intrusion into the royal council would be unquestioned, and that made it an even better decision for her to attend this specific meeting. After all, the council was gathered to discuss possible war preparations for the incoming army of the eastern tribes. More importantly though, it was being held to discuss her passing and subsequent funeral.

That’s right. Time had barely passed since she’d gone missing, and the upper echelons of the Sylphid Alliance’s nobility were already discussing her funeral instead of sending out more search parties. Such a thing only served to make her sudden return even more impactful.

The man that Radeca had just responded to was a high-ranking noble who had only recently gained the coveted role of advisor to the royal couple. In fact, he had secured the position only a little prior to Radeca’s coming of age ceremony. 

Ever since then, she had become gradually estranged from her family and punished harshly for the slightest mistakes. While her standing with her own family steadily dropped, the man’s only continued to rise. It was suspicious to say the least, but Radeca desperately wished to place her trust in her parents.

It was only now that she saw how hopeless that was. After all, a mere advisor like him speaking to an elven princess in such a rude fashion should have been punished immediately, yet he still stood near the head of the table seething furiously.

“She is a foreign citizen and nobility of a foreign nation!” The advisor shouted at Radeca. “The royal council of the Alliance does not permit such intrusions!”

Radeca merely arched an eyebrow. Such behavior for an advisor was utterly unforgivable, yet there wasn’t a single guard or noble within the room who was reprimanding the advisor. Thus, Radeca took the opportunity to remind everyone that she was still a princess.

“Is that so? Royalty has always been permitted to select their own personal aides, regardless of who they might be. She is mine.” Radeca paused, her gaze boring into the advisor’s. “Are you perhaps questioning the law laid down by my ancestors?”

The advisor spluttered angrily as he attempted to formulate an answer that would not disgrace him now that all eyes fell on him at once. In truth, no one had actually expected Radeca to project such an aura of command.

Ever since she lost the favor of her family, she had always been a quiet and reserved girl who simply put up with any abuse or resentment directed toward her. Of course, they respected her mental fortitude, but that was all there was. None of the Alliance’s nobles had any confidence in her ability to lead, causing her faction to disappear from high society entirely.

However, the Radeca that they had just seen was completely different. Not only did she enter with poise and confidence, but her very posture radiated authority. Her voice was flush with the grace of regal command, and she had skilfully retorted against the advisor while also calling attention to her elevated position.

This was nothing like the girl they had seen mere months ago who carried herself with a brittle, glass-like facsimile of elegance and spoke with a monotonous voice devoid of both emotion and soul.

Of course, this was something that Radeca had always known how to do. Since she was a princess, her education in the noble arts of diplomacy, verbal barbs, and social maneuvering had begun at a young age. Her retort should have been no surprise to the nobility who sat in the royal council, and the fact that they were surprised only served to highlight the rift that had formed between Radeca and noble society.

“Enough,” King Alcurain intoned, his voice hushing the entirety of the room. He looked upon his daughter with impassioned eyes that hid a paternal yearning. “The aide is legitimate. Princess Sella, I apologize for our rudeness. My advisor spoke out of turn. Please do not take his words as our attitude toward the Ardene Kingdom.”

Princess Sella, elegant as ever, performed a practiced curtsy, bowing her head slightly. When she raised it once more, a smile as bright as the noonday sun adorned her face. “I take no offense, Your Majesty. I come here not as a representative of Ardene, but as your daughter’s trusted friend and aide. I thank you all for your hospitality, but Her Highness is far more deserving of it.”

Nice one, Sella!

The corners of Radeca’s lips twitched slightly as she suppressed the urge to smile upon hearing her friend’s staunch support of her, but the movement was subtle enough that it went unnoticed.

Gently, Radeca lifted the teacup set in front of her and took a brief sip before placing it back down on its porcelain saucer with an audible ‘clink’. Naturally, everyone in the room was now focused on her.

“Members of the royal council,” she began. “I believe one of the items on today’s agenda was the discussion of my funeral. Rejoice, for I live. There is no need for us to discuss such things.”

The members of the royal council looked at one another before beginning to clap, filling the air with a smattering of applause. In truth, Radeca was supposed to be welcomed by a fanfare of trumpets and a parade as was customary for the safe return of a member of royalty, but all she received was this pittance of applause. 

It was nothing less than an insult to say the least, but ceremonies had long lost their meaning to Radeca ever since the attack at the academy. Now, she knew that there were much more important things than the recognition of others.

“Instead, let us speak of the army that encroaches upon the Fissure with each passing day. Never before have we seen the forces of the demonic tribes be unified without the presence of a Demon Lord, and never before have we won a battle against their united might without the support of a Hero. Truly, this is an anomaly that must be addressed.”

“And how might you suggest that we address it, princess?” A noble spoke, his voice high-pitched and vain. It was almost as if he had spat the last word out in disgust. Even so, Radeca’s lack of status would not dissuade her.

“Grant me authority over the Alliance’s army.” Radeca said, stunning all those who were seated. “It shall be my first act as princess to make up for the trouble that I have caused as a result of my disappearance.”

“With all due respect, Your Highness, please know what you are suggesting before speaking.” Another noble sneered at her. “The battlefield is no place for delicate princesses.”

The moment the elven noble finished speaking, a powerful gust of wind surrounded his body, bursting with explosive force and knocking him off his seat. It wasn’t enough to seriously hurt the man, but his back certainly throbbed from hitting the floor.

Honestly, the noble had gotten off rather lightly for speaking to royalty with such a condescending tone. Normally, the punishment for such a thing entailed prompt separation of the offender’s head and body.

Radeca glared at the man, her hand outstretched. “So I am a ‘delicate princess’ to you lot, am I? Make no mistake, I, Radeca Elewyn of the Sylphid Alliance, am fully aware of the duties that the military commander must hold.”

This time, no noble dared to look down upon her. Radeca had demonstrated that she did indeed have the qualities to lead. And so, the council gradually progressed into a vote to determine whether Radeca would take the position of military commander or not.

Despite her inexperience at actual military command, many of the votes were in favor. There would be no shortage of experienced strategists and advisors who did most of the actual tactical planning. Not only that, but the military commander of the Alliance was required to lead the initial charge before returning to the rear lines.

Those who felt threatened by Radeca’s renewed authority were more than eager to send her to the front lines while those who sensed newfound opportunities in supporting Radeca saw this as a chance for the princess to build up her reputation and legend.

Ultimately though, the decision fell to Radeca’s parents, the King and Queen of the Sylphid Alliance.

“I object, Your Majesty.” The advisor announced fervently as he faced the king.

“Why?”

“I am under the impression that the princess is being influenced by a foreign power.” The advisor gestured subtly toward Princess Sella who simply raised an eyebrow.

Instead of responding to his advisor, King Alcurain turned his attention to Princess Radeca. “Although I would hope that my advisor’s concerns are unfounded, they are nevertheless valid. You have been missing for quite a long time, and now that you have returned, you arrive with a noble of a foreign kingdom. What have you to say for yourself, princess?”

Radeca bowed her head. “Your Majesty, it was not my intention to be kidnapped, but I have returned able-bodied and well. My only wish is to use this fortune for the good of my people in these troubling times. While my friends may stand by my side, my thoughts remain my own.”

“And can you prove this, princess?” There was an almost pleading tone in his voice. Radeca didn’t know why, but it was irrelevant at that moment.

“I can only give you my word, Your Majesty.”

That was the extent of which Radeca could prove things, of course. As a member of the royal family, there were none among the Alliance who were permitted to view the contents of her mind, and there was no way for anyone to determine whether or not she was truly being manipulated by Princess Sella or the Ardene Kingdom in such a short span of time.

Normally, the correct course of action in such a situation would be to simply relegate Radeca’s role to a senior officer instead of the army’s commander, but the king seemed to wish for Radeca’s success.

Despite this, there was only so much the king could do in the face of such circumstances. That is, until his advisor spoke.

“It seems that the princess is quite confident in her loyalty to the people of our fine Alliance. In such a case, should we not test it in the highest court of law?”

King Alcurain frowned. “...Surely you jest.”

“I would never be so cruel to joke with you, Your Majesty.” The advisor spoke, turning to me with a wicked smile on his face. “Do you wish to take up this challenge, Your Highness? Of course, the match shall not be lethal, and we shall take extra precautions to make sure that accidents do not happen.”

Trial by combat. It was an ancient rite that was practiced across the entire continent of Celatria. It was initiated by invoking all six primary deities in a magic ritual. In all three western nations and the eastern tribes, the victor of a trial by combat would be blessed by the deities and have their sins absolved.

To everyone’s surprise, a similar smirk grew on Radeca’s face. It was as if she had been expecting this all along.

“I accept your challenge. However, as a royal princess, I invoke my right to be represented by a champion. And my champion is...” Radeca paused, savoring the moment of her long-awaited revenge against the one who had taken everything from her.

Even before her name was called, Radeca’s chosen champion stepped forward with a serene smile on her face, her gait the tell-tale sign of an experienced warrior. The stench of blood and iron hung heavily in the air around her as if she were a goddess of war. Perhaps the popular rumors of her lack of combat experience and spoiled upbringing were nothing more than diversions created to hide the existence of this monster.

For the first time in years, the Sylphid Alliance’s royal advisor felt fear run through his veins.

“...Princess Sella.”

22