Chapter 7 (Unedited)
648 4 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I just let out a sigh and sit close to the fire, thinking about our next move… After a while, I just sprawl out. Nothing comes to mind besides getting to Cable. I guess it’s better to have a small goal than none at all. Looking over to Ava, she’s picking big leaves off the trees. 

Without a clue of what she’s doing, I ask, “You need help with whatever you are doing?” 

She says “I’m making it so we don’t have to just sit or lay on plain ground.” while grabbing more large leaves.

I take a deep breath and get up, feeling all the fatigue and injuries catch up with me, but I do my best to not let Ava notice. I don’t want to be seen as a burden by her, even though I know I’m mostly dead weight.

After picking a couple of the big leaves, Ava asks for them so of course I hand them over and she swiftly makes an area that’s covered similar to a picnic blanket as close to the campfire as possible without the risk of getting burned. 

While she does that, I look around for more berries. There are quite a few different looking ones, so I pick all of them so Ava can tell me what’s not good to eat if she knows.

Eventually, after going from random bushes to another, I find a small tree that I’d say still counts as a bush that has a fruit that looks like it has grapes that are the sizes of oranges on it. After taking a couple of them, I walk the short way back to our camp.

Once there, I show Ava my bounty of fruits and berries. Only half of them were edible. She even told me what each would do if we ate them. The grape things are one of the edible ones and she said it was called an Elven Dedan. Then she takes one and says, “Thanks! You should try one.” in a slightly sweeter tone than usual.

I rinse it in the river and take a bite. It’s extremely sour, or is the word I’m looking for is tart? Nevertheless, it’s pretty good and a bit more filling than just the small berries.

So I go back to the tree I got them from and grab all of the ones that look edible. I hope they stay good for a while or at the very least that they are common, but I have a feeling we’ll be fine since this forest seems to have an excess of edible things in it.  

To make it easier on myself, I grab one of the big leaves that Ava is using and wrap all the now excess fruit in them in hopes it will at the very least get protected from the elements. Then I place them near the area Ava is sitting in while making what seems to be a spear with her now sharpened hand.

Kinda curious why she is even making it, I ask, “What’s up, Ava?” while sitting down next to her.

She says “We should have grabbed a couple of those guard’s weapons. The card is unreliable and my claws aren’t the greatest weapons against a lot of things.” quickly and quietly. Then she just goes back to making a wooden spear, of all things.

After all the threats we have already faced, I have no clue what those are going to do… 

I just ignore it and sit in front of the fire. The big leaves are pretty good to the point it blocks the small rocks and other debris well enough so I think I could actually sleep out here. While I was getting comfortable in a sitting position, Ava interrupts me and says, “We’ll sleep in shifts. So you can take yours now.”

Without saying a word, I just nod and get as comfortable as I can. Then just close my eyes, not really expecting to sleep considering the situation, but not moving lets my body rest from some of these god awful events. Not that you can really sleep off getting electrocuted that much and being near starvation for a while.

 

Author's note- Make sure to favorite the chapter, give feedback in the comments, and look into joining the discord :D

20