3. Family Time
62 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It's been about two years since I was born here and I've enjoyed every second. My dad and mom are both pretty strong, at least as far as I can tell. The main reason I know this is sometimes dad will mention an old story from when they were adventurers and everyone listening would look at him like he said something outrageous.

We live in the only inn in our little town, this town is only big enough to have our inn, one blacksmith and one general store. Apparently the elf from the general store was also in their party. I only learned this when one of the regulars got drunk and mentioned that the three of them are the pride of the town.

They are mainly regarded this way because mom and dad grew up here as childhood friends. Then like most second or third children they left to become adventurers and make a name for themselves. Apparently they were very good, but mom shuts down any talk of that near me. I still don't know why. I think they just don't want me to figure out that they're strong till I'm older, but I see mom casting magic for most daily things she can get away with. Dad also isn't very good at hiding things, mainly because he also casts magic and does a real intense morning routine to work out. 

Mom uses dark and water magic most of the time and sometimes when she doesn't think I'm looking she'll use ice magic. To be honest it's kinda sad how bad they are at hiding it. But uncle Uca from the general store who was supposedly part of their party is really good at it. I haven't seen him use magic, outside of healing magic and some light jogging around town now and then, but I'm pretty sure he's strong too. 

One of these days I'm gonna ask uncle Uca to train me mainly because he seems like a strong and discrete person, especially compared to my walking bear of a dad.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey, uncle Uca?" I ask in the sweetest little kid voice I can muster.

"Yeah, Sarin?" Uncle Uca says with a mirthful chuckle as he leans a little closer so he can look at me in my eyes. 

Oddly enough, uncle Uca always makes a point to look people in the eyes. Even little kids like me or the other kids in town. 

"You're strong right?" I ask with a small tilt of my head. Trying to up the cute factor as much as possible for my request.

Uncle Uca looks at me for a moment, studying me with his eyes, before answering. 

"Yes, I am. In fact I was in an adventuring party with your mom and dad." He said after a small amount of time that felt like eternity to me.

At this my eyes go wide. He actually admitted it and told me about them. But before I could say anything, he speaks again. 

"How did you guess that I was strong? I thought Urnan and Esha didn't let anyone tell you?" He asked a little too sweetly. 

At this I shivered a little. 

"Oh, one of the farmers was talking about how mom and dad where super cool and the pride of the town or something one night. It sounded cool and since you hang out all the time with mom and dad I thought you where strong too." I say with a fake authoritative tone that only a little kid could get away with. 

"And dad is really bad at being subtle." I said with a small laugh. 

At this uncle Uca looks at me for a moment as if pondering something. 

"Well I assume that means you have you memories?" He says almost too casually. 

At this I freeze up like a deer in the headlights. How did he know? how did he figure out I'm reincarnated and why tell me? Does he also know that I'm a champion? I mean I always have a black scarf around my neck, ever since I was little. My mom gave it too me as a present when I turned one and started to walk around. Maybe mom and dad told him but that doesn't mean he knew about my past life. So how?

At my reaction he bursts out laughing 

"Hahahahahahahahaha, I can't believe this! You and your father are more alike then you realize." He says as he wipes a tear from his eye then pats my head and ruffles my hair. 

As he said this my dad rounds the corner carrying food for the three of us. Because mom is gone somewhere dad is cooking, but he is only good at cooking meat so it's all goind to be meat with this world's equivalent to potatoes and carrots in a large pot for a while. It smells amazing and my mouth is watering by the time he sets down the food. 

"So what's this about My daughter taking after me?" My dad says with no small amount of excitement. He looks like this is the best day of his life. He has always been over bearing and likes to smother me in hugs and affection, but to be fair I don't hate it and I'm very much a daddy's girl. 

Uncle Uca turns with a smirk on his face. He faces dad but before he can speak dad interrupts.

"Now, I don't know what happened but that smirk can't mean anything good." He says with a resigned sigh.

That was when uncle Uca's smile got even broader.

"You know me so well Urnan. She just asked me if I was strong and told me that she figured it out by watching you train and that a patron of yours blabbed. Also when I asked if she got her memories back to test if she really did, she just stopped like you do when you get caught by Esha. She looked exactly like you did when she caught you sneaking out to drink with me and Sliver Arrow that one time." He said in a smug and happy tone that sounded like he was barely containing his laughter.  

At this dad got the same look I had and then after a minute, he look at me then bust out laughing. 

"Hahahahaha, I can't believe we both got figured out that easily ay' kiddo?" He said as he ruffled my hair that I had just straightened after uncle Uca did the same thing.

At this I start to pout because I set myself up. It became abundantly clear that my dad, who is a sneaky as an elephant in a horse race, was on the same level of poker face as me. 

At this we start to eat. 

After dinner, when we are bringing our plates back to the kitchen uncle Uca asks me something. 

"So, what did you want to ask me?" He said this with that smirk he had when telling my dad about my slip up.

"What! How did you know?" I ask with no small amount of surprise.

He looked at me with a raised eyebrow, and then crouched down to eye level and said 

"While I understand trying to hide it I know you are smarter then you look. Actually we all know it. With that being said, you wouldn't bring It up with out trying to get something. Surprisingly enough your dad is like that too. He always plays the dumb muscle head in front of people that don't know him, and his act is quite good, but when he needs to be he's as sly as a fox while still being as big as bear. So I assume like father, like daughter." At this he smirked again. 

Damn, that smirk is gonna haunt my dreams. Is he really that good or am I that transparent?

"Soooo..." I say while shifting from foot to foot, letting my words hang for a moment. 

"Can you train me?" I ask while grabbing his sleeve and jumping in place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Uca's POV) 

Wow! this kid is smart and a bit dumb at the same time, she really is her father's daughter. This kid accidentally outed herself then asked to be trained? She went to all that trouble just to ask that. Ha, she really is a champion. No champion I've met was normal but she is weirder than most. The kid is something else. At least she's honest and quick on the recovery. Maybe I'll train her when she gets a little older. 

"Alright I'll train you, but it'll be hard and you won't be able to back out once you start. Is that acceptable?" I ask while tussling her hair again, to annoy her. 

"Yup!" She says happily, then straightens her hair again and scampers off to finish washing her bowl. 

When she leaves the room, I speak without turning. 

"She is gonna have a hard time training. Not only am I training her, but the Mountain Fist and the Storm Shot. Man she is gonna be scary if she masters all those skills we'll teach her. Isn't that right?" 

"Yeah, she's gonna start as soon as she turns five, then we're gonna train her till she turns of age." The bear of a beastkin man behind me says, with a little worry in his voice for his daughter.

"Also, did you have to tell her about my act? I know it's obvious to you but I wanted her to figure it out on her own." He says with pout not unlike his daughter, but less cute and more like a mountain with a frowny face drawn on it. 

"Well, I'm pretty sure she already put it together. She didn't look surprised when I mentioned your act and even nodded a little. She is pretty smart. She really does remind me of you." I say as I stand and turn to face the man.

"She is my daughter after all." He says as he puffs out his chest, beaming with pride at the little mini-me that is his daughter.

"To think that girl is a champion of all things. I hope she can handle it." At that the smile on his face sours and he looks at me with sharp eyes I don't see often. He only had those eyes when he had to make a tough call for the party, back when we were adventurers. 

"We will train her till she can't handle it. If she couldn't handle the training then she wouldn't be a champion. I feel bad about it but we can't take it easy on her with this, It's the best way to insure she comes home safe." He said in a dead serious tone that would send shiver down most people's spine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Sarin's POV) 

Stupid uncle Uca, figuring out my plan and outing me so quickly! At least he confirmed that dad is way smarter then he lets on. That's nice. I had my suspicions but I couldn't confirm it on my own.

After dinner I head to bed and start practicing the mana control that Arnia told me about a year ago on my first birthday. 

'Hey Arnia, when is someone considered an adult in this world?' 

'When they turn sixteen.' She says simply with soft voice. 

About two mouths after I was reincarnated, Arnia confirmed that my symbol could be used to talk with her. We have been talking telepathically for a while now and we have started to talk even more recently. I think it's because she is bored in the godly realm. There are only 12 people there. Apparently the six main gods and the God of Fate plus all of the first champions are in the godly realm. After a millennia or two I'd assume it gets kinda boring. 

One time I asked why the first champions were there but she only said that Fate had something to do with it and she wasn't allowed to say anything more. 

Arnia and I have become good friends and talk often. She apparently can see me whenever because I'm her champion. She has a lot of fun teasing me about my young body and cute features. 

And with that I go to sleep for the night and can't wait to start training. It sounds fun. Plus maybe uncle Uca will teach me how to out smart people like he does?

[Myka's Corner]

Woah this one was annoying. I accidentally erased my edits 90% of the way through so I had to edit this one twice. The funny mistakes made up for it though <3

2