Rank Ascender (10)
153 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was the most terrible kind of pain that only grew worse with every passing second.

It felt as if my mind were being squeezed and tortured.

CRASH!

"What the fuck!"

I felt the man jump to his feet.

The room began to fill with a cloud of harsh smoke.

"Ah!"

I coughed and turned my body around.

"Catch that bastard!"

"Teehee! Everybody stay still!"

I heard the man run.

He had ordered everyone to stop moving and escaped all by himself.

After about five minutes of silence, I felt someone approach me.

*

The smoke began to fade.

Someone placed their hand gently on my shoulder.

I jumped as I still had my eyes closed, but I could tell the person was not a threat.

"Are you all right?"

"Yes, but I still can't open my eyes."

"The Brainwashing will go away soon."

It looked they called the Power Trip ability 'Brainwashing.'

The man who had called himself my ‘Guide’ had already run away.

I wondered who these people were. I wanted to open my eyes to appease my curiosity.

"You must have been surprised. We have been watching you for a while. We judged that you were in danger and came to rescue you."

"Do you know the person who forced me to come here?"

"Yes. He is Charles Lee, a Korean American. Seeing that you've been subjected to it, you must be aware that he has the Brainwashing ability."

Charles Lee must be the man who called himself my Guide.

I couldn't, for the love of God, remember his face.

However, everything he had said and the videos he showed me were seared into my brain.

"Did you say that you were watching me? Why is that?"

I was thankful that they had saved me, but I couldn't help be suspicious of someone who broke through a window.

My eyes slid open just in time.

The effects of the Power Trip had faded.

Five figures, who looked like hunters, were standing around the room in full tactical gear.

A blue screen was set up around the hunter speaking to me.

"You're safe for now. Don't be afraid. We are hunters from a special Hunter's Guild called Guardians."

"Guardians?"

"Yes. We are an organization that was founded to stop Brainwashers like Charles Lee. We know that you, Kim Jun-hoo, are a Brainwasher as well."

From what I had heard from Charles, I figured that Brainwashers and Hunters were diametrically opposed.

While neither of them were more powerful than the other, they were like oil and water.

You could think of their relationships like that of werewolves and vampires.

“And?"

I decided to be calm seeing as they already knew who I was.

Seeing as  I had already seen an assemblyman in the dungeon, I thought about how I should stop thinking of myself as special.

I had the Mobus Superstring, which did make me different from everyone else.

I would grow stronger and become the best.

I suppose I was a pain in the ass to these Hunters too since I was a Brainwasher.

"We classified you as a possible risk and were watching you from afar. As I said, our purpose is to find and manage people with Brainwashing abilities. However, we noticed that there was something different about you, Kim Jun-hoo."

Could he be talking about the Mobius Superstring?

"We know why you punished those delinquents. When you made them hurt themselves, we thought you were just a typical Brainwasher."

"But when you ended it by making them transfer schools, we saw hope. It would have been easy to kill them. You could have just made them hold their breaths. It wouldn't have been traced back to you,"

A large man, who had been patrolling the mansion, said, interrupting the conversation.

His tall nose and prominent brow showed the spirit of a General.

He seemed to be the leader of these Hunters.

"My name is Gu Ma-jun. As you must already know, unlike us Hunters, who go into the Rifts to fight alien monsters, Brainwashers are people who use their abilities on other people. Many small and big tragedies are taking place in the shadows."

"That's why we Hunters must keep them in line."

"However, they are such a crafty and sinister group that it's difficult to do that effectively. Oh, I'm not speaking of you, of course."

I felt strange to be hearing their story.

It was as if they implied that I was different from the other Brainwashers, but still a Brainwasher nonetheless.

It wasn't just about the Mobius Superstring.

"There was a lot of discussion, but we finally managed to come to an agreement. We want to enlist you as an undercover agent. Only if you want to, that is."

"An undercover agent?"

"Yes. You would be entering the organization of the Brainwashers as a regular member, but you would act as our spy."

"It's too dangerous."

I wanted to refuse immediately.

I was already busy trying to get used to my Power Trip ability.

But to think that I would have to go into the lion's den and spy for these hunters that I didn't even know?

That would be plain suicidal.

"I see a lot of potential in you. Not just morally, but with your abilities as well."

"What are you talking about?"

"I saw you get money from out of space. It means that you are also a System User."

"So it was you who was watching me then..."

It had been the Guardian Hunters watching me when I received the one million won.

“Yes, it was us. I apologize if that made you feel uncomfortable. However, I know you will understand.Your identity had been leaked to both the Brainwashers and the Hunters. It was only a matter of time."

"Well, I'm guessing that both organizations have very good intelligence agencies."

"You're right. We have various ways of gathering information. Although, you are an anomaly that broke through accepted norms."

I wondered what they meant.

I had figured out that a System User was someone who had access to quest rewards.

But why were they saying I had broken accepted norms?

"Normally, Brainwashers cannot awaken any other abilities. We caught a few and tested them, and we found out that we had fundamental differences in our blood."

"Hmm."

"However, you're different. You can use Brainwashing abilities and other abilities as well."

"Like what, for example?"

"Well, you, who was a Class D student, made it to Class B in one day. We already know that you weren't the best student. It might be a small change, but something that can't be ignored."

"You have been keeping a close eye on me."

I was prepared for something like this from the moment Charles Lee approached me.

Therefore I wasn't afraid of the intense scrutiny that I was under.

Although, it can't be denied that it felt vexing and uncomfortable.

"We at Guardians have been researching Artificial Awakenings. If you help us, we will share the results of our research with you."

"Artificial Awakening?"

I had thought about it before.

Would I be able to enter the Hunters' society with my Power Trip ability?

I concluded that it would be impossible by itself.

However, if I were Artificialy Awakened, even if I were to start at the bottom, I would be able to grow exponentially by using my 0 point state.

I would be a Superhuman who could use Power Trip.

"How about it?"

The Guardians Hunters seemed to be confident that I would accept their offer from the look in my eyes.

I decided to think about this calmly.

"I'll think about it. I do think it's an interesting offer."

"Sure. It's good to be cautious."

"Mr. Kim Jun-hoo. Whatever the case, good or bad, you can no longer live an ordinary life. If possible, choose the side that works to maintain social order. If you side with us, you will be able to enjoy the wealth and honor that the Brainwashers so proudly flaunt."

"And if you so wish, you will be able to maintain your external life just as it is."

"Yes. Let me think about it. Can I leave now?"

"Of course."

"Well, just in case, we'll attach a shadow bodyguard to you. They might try to contact you again."

"...Sure."

I knew they'd have someone watching me without my knowledge even if I refused.

Moreover, I figured it would help keep my family safe.

I was reminded of something suddenly.

"By the way, are you ranked higher than Charles Lee? It looked you followed his order earlier. Couldn't Charles Lee have harmed all of you without running away?"

"Hmm. Your suspicion is correct. We are ranked lower than he is. However, Hunters possess innate resistance against Brainwashing. The effects can be nullified. Even when we are under the effects of the ability, we have various ways of fighting back."

"Someone could hide in the shadows and strike them in their necks. Things like that."

"So that's why he ran away."

Gu Ma-jun's eyes lit up at my words.

"Yes. With your Brainwashing ability and our Artificial Awakening, your rank would rise so quickly! Remember that. According to our research, there are numerous standards for social ranks. It wasn't only your place in society, but also your physical survival skills that determined your rank."

Sure enough.

If I became a superhuman, my social standing would go up a lot.

I would be able to defend myself against Brainwashers.

Conversely, I would be able to use my abilities on hunters as well.

"Thank you for the information. I'm going to need to go home to sort out my thoughts."

"I'll give you a ride."

"Thank you."

"Oh, take this. It's the address for the club run by Charles Lee. It's a place where members of the Brainwashers organization gather."

The business card the hunter handed me had the words Olympus written on it. As if it had been waiting for an opportunity, the Mobius Superstring gave me a new mission.

[Infiltrate Olympus and investigate Charles Lee's office. Reward: One million and five hundred thousand won.]

The Guardian Hunters took me home.

I was exhausted after having experienced a Dungeon-like day.

"Give me a call if you need anything."

Gu Ma-jun handed me his business card.

I kept the business card hidden in my wallet just in case.

*

"Just this, please."

"That'll be 7,600 won."

I headed to a convenience store to withdraw some money from the ATM and buy some food and something to drink.

I checked my balance to see that Jun-soo hadn't used more than fifty thousand won.

He could have spent a lot more, but it seemed that he was being considerate.

-Hey, Jun-soo. It's your brother. You can go back to school starting tomorrow. You'll know when you get there. Trust me.

I texted Jun-soo. He would be able to go to school freely from now on.

"HMM, phewww!"

I calmed myself by eating a bowl of instant ramen.

It felt good to get something warm in my belly.

My throat hurt after throwing up so much.

Charles Lee, that devil.

I was still trying to get a handle on my Power Trip ability.

But Charles Lee showed me exactly where the line of no return lay.

The devil was thinking himself a god.

"Phew..."

I collected my thoughts as I ate.

The conflict between the Brainwashers and the Guardians.

And I, who was in between them. An outsider. An anomaly.

It was probably all thanks to the Mobius Superstring.

"Hmm."

I had been filled with a false sense of importance after forcing Park Dong-jun to concentrate on his studies.

However, I never expected that it would be this much.

Even Charles Lee was undeniably a part of high society, seeing how rich he was.

The Hunters were the same.

Both of these organizations were interested in me.

"Ugh."

I just couldn't remember Charles Lee's face.

Perhaps the order produced a permanent effect and not some temporary one.

I could still remember his arrogant voice, his flashy suit, and his silhouette.

But since I couldn't remember his face.

It was as if I had seen a ghost.

"Huh? Jun-hoo! You punk! Why did you skip class today?" Dong-jun, who was coming out of the school, called out to me from a distance.

He came over and joined me on the chairs placed outside the convenience store.

"Oh, hey! Sorry. I forgot to call."

"There's no need to apologize. Is something up?"

"No, it's nothing."

"That's good to know!"

"Hey, hyung. Go get yourself something to drink. My treat."

"Nice. Okay."

When he saw the serious expression on my face, Dong-jun asked me again.

"Are you sure everything is all right?"

"Yeah. I was just taking care of something for my younger brother. Oh, by the way. I've been put in Class B."

Well, I was going to have to tell him sooner or later.

"Pfft! What?"

Dong-jun spat out his drink and his eyes widened.

In his disbelief he even forgot to wipe the drink dribbling down his chin.

"What do you mean? Why are you suddenly going from class D to class B?"

"I had been preparing for the test for a while now. I'm sorry that I didn't tell you earlier. I didn't think I'd get in. When we took the placement tests at the beginning, I was still in shock from my College Entrance Exam results, so I didn't score as high,"

I parroted the words of the director.

"Ah... So you were always Class B level... I thought you were just working harder these days."

I could see the feelings of inferiority cloud his face.

While I understood how he felt, it wasn't easy to see his expression.

"Yeah... So that's why you've been giving me all that advice! Haha!"

I didn't know what to say to Dong-jun's smiling face.

Normally, I would have tried to be slick about it, but I was too tired right now.

"Well... Keep in touch. We'll still be in the same school! You can help me with my studies sometimes. Right?"

"Yes, of course. I'll also buy you fried chicken like I promised you on the weekend."

"Yeah! I might have some other plans. But we should see."

I felt a sudden distance grow between Dong-jun and me.

He must have been taken aback by the sudden differences between us.

I, who had advanced, and he, who had been lazy and hadn't worked hard all this time.

"I'm going to go. I'm heading to the PC cafe to chill."

"Sure. I'll see you around."

Dong-jun had chosen to follow his usual routine instead of studying and breaking the cycle.

I could tell just from looking at his back as he walked away.

"Phew..."

I could already tell that we were going to grow apart.

That could be for the best.

I experienced such bizarre things every day and night.

Like the Hunters had said, it might be hard for me to lead a normal life anymore.

"Man. I'm tired."

I wanted to try as hard as I could to live a normal life.

Whether it was with my family or at prep school, I wanted to pretend to be normal.

"I'd like this, please."

I bought a beer, something I never really did and emptied it in one go.

My stormy mind calmed down for a moment.

"Hmm."

I thought about things calmly.

Charles Lee had declared himself my guide and the Guardians wanted me to spy for them.

They offered Artificial Awakening as compensation.

Putting my personal morals aside, that was reason alone for me to join the Guardians.

"Gu Ma-jun."

I looked at the card he had handed me.

I wanted Artificial Awakening.

If I had it, even if I were to throw it away later, it would make it so that I would be able to choose an incredible opportunity.

However, I still didn't want to be a tool for them.

"Umm!"

If I got caught up between Olympus or Guardians, I would end up like a creature from the first floor's the Rich Pit.

I decided to keep my distance and take only what I needed. It wouldn't be easy.

I could potentially end up joining one of them.

For now, this seemed like my best option.

"Olympus."

This time, I took out Olympus' business card.

It was the club run by Charles Lee.

It was early in the afternoon now.

They shouldn't be open yet.

"I guess studying is out of the picture today."

I caught a taxi to Gangnam, where Olympus was situated.

Strangely, I wasn't nervous, and my heart didn't race even though this was dangerous.

The Mobius Superstring had promised 1.5 million won as a reward.

I took that to mean that going to Charles Lee's office was only slightly more dangerous than advancing to Class B.

"We're here."

"Thank you. I'll pay in cash."

I arrived at Olympus by taxi.

As I had expected, the luxurious building was not open for business yet.

Two men in black suits stood by the entrance.

"Sorry, the club's not open yet. Come back at ten."

I knew it wouldn't be easy to get into the club.

[Target - Olympus Club - Rank 87.]

[Target - Olympus Club - Rank 88.]

I didn't know how many employees this club employed, but the two men guarding the entrance were ranked 87 and 88, respectively, and their social status within the Seoul metropolitan area was higher than mine.

"Here."

I handed them the Olympus business card just in case.

If it didn't work, I'd just go home.

"Oh, you're an acquaintance of the owner. You should have said so earlier, Sir."

"Go on in. You can use the first floor. Only the bar at the lounge is in operation."

The business card seemed like an object that not anyone could get their hands on since it had the boss's name, Charles Lee, written on it.

I went inside the luxurious building.

It could be the sticky and racy atmosphere, but it felt like I was entering the devil's den.

*

Upon entering the Olympus Club, I noticed how stuffy it was on the inside.

I had never been to any club, let alone one as luxurious as this.

What poor prep-school student had the time and money to go to a club, anyway?

The men at the entrance had said that I could only go to the first floor when it was evident that the Boss' room would be on the top floor.

"Hmm."

"Welcome. Would you like me to set the table and pair you up with a manager right away?"

A middle-aged man in a suit came up to me and said.

I acted relaxed to make up for my ratty clothes.

"No, I'll just take a look around and have a drink or two before going."

"Yes, of course."

The man smiled and returned to the lounge.

I emptied my pockets to buy a cocktail for 130,000 won.

It was the cheapest drink on the menu but was still so expensive.

[Mobius Guide Activated.]

CHZZZZZZ.

"Huh."

A translucent scarlet thread appeared up on my right wrist.

I had never seen this before.

Was the Mobius Superstring helping me directly on this quest?

SSssssss

2