Chapter 18. Let’s meet
809 1 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After I suggested Rachel to date me with burning eyes, she probably thought that I was completely crazy.

But no, no matter how strange it may sound, there was a logical justification for all this. I decided to start dating Rachel Cassius for two reasons.

The first, and most obvious, is to get a reliable shield from the flag of death until the end of training at the academy. With the presence of a girl like Rachel, I was more than sure that Philip and Razor would not dare to come to me. This will be the surest way to avoid my tragic fate in the novel.

And the second: Rachel and I will have an objective reason to spend more time together. It is possible that before the end of the training, we will even be able to make friends. Although not completely, but I hoped to have a positive effect on her terrible character, and such an excuse would be very useful.

I didn't plan to continue communicating with Rachel after graduating from the academy, but such an experience will definitely help her in building a healthier relationship with her spouse. It's possible that with my help, Rachel won't even kill him this time.

After all, there were only solid advantages to this idea!

Of course, I wasn't going to perceive this relationship as real, but only a cover for others.

Even though I was from the modern world, where this was already part of the norm, Rachel definitely wasn't interested in me in this regard.

To be honest, in this life I did not want to have a relationship with anyone at all, having spent a luxurious bachelor life together. Since Leriana's original life was very short, I wanted to live to a very old age. In the future, I planned to become independent and travel the world, and that I would not be burdened with any obligations.

This stage will be just one of many in my life. There are only three years left to suffer before I find the long-awaited freedom.

Thinking about it with great enthusiasm, I did not immediately notice how Rachel's face distorted immediately after the idea I voiced.

"I refuse,— she said uncompromisingly.

I was taken aback by how quickly Rachel gave me such an answer.

— But why?!

— What kind of stupid idea? I don't want to date you.

I was outraged. She's not that dumb…

— It won't be a real relationship! — I hastened to assure, - Just a cover for a distraction.

Rachel frowned, keeping her suspicious gaze on me.

— And why would you do that? "What is it?" she asked.

— Well…

I realized late that I hadn't had time to come up with a suitable excuse for Rachel. After all, I couldn't admit that all this was necessary to save my life...? Most likely, she already thought I was an oddball.

"...I want to help you!" I said decisively.

— Help with what? — the girl responded skeptically, — By ruining my life?

I barely restrained myself to swallow the insult. Does a relationship with me seem like such a terrible thing to her...? And this despite the fact that I was the most popular student of the academy. Aren't her demands too high?

— You know, I don't throw such offers around in front of anyone! — I objected resentfully, - Yes, if I wanted to, then anyone in this academy would date me without a contract!

— Yes, yes.

Rachel waved me away, but it was the first time I noticed a subtle smile on her face.

Such an unexpected sight knocked me off balance for a second, but then I calmly continued:

— I'm telling you, not everyone gets such an opportunity...!

The distrust in the girl's eyes turned somewhat into interest.

"And how are you going to help me?" She asked with a bored expression.

— With my help, you will improve socialization in society! — I said, — Won't it be useful to you in the future?

A look of disgust suddenly appeared on Rachel's face.

"Are you going to make me hang out with these bastards?"

By "bastards," Rachel meant the students of the academy. It has long ceased to be news to me that the girl hated everyone here except herself. She looked at her classmates as bugs, and clearly did not perceive them as equals. All this was a consequence of her family's long-standing enmity with the rest of the aristocrats.

Although Rachel also belonged to the upper class. So why can't she be a little more tolerant of others?

— I'm not saying that you should start making friends with everyone right away, — I hastened to assure, — For a start, it would be nice if you started appearing in public places more.

The girl snorted contemptuously in response to this.

— Bad idea.

— Hmm? I looked at her questioningly.

— I do not know why you are doing this, but nothing will change. Everyone in this place hates me, and I hate them too.

I fell silent.

In fact, I knew exactly what she was talking about. Perhaps for Rachel to live in such a country and study at the Royal Academy seemed really unbearable ordeal. No one loved her, everyone was afraid, shunned and hated. And all because of stupid rumors about a curse that doesn't even exist. What can I say, I decided to get close to her only because of my own goals. Before that, I had never thought about Rachel's real feelings.

But she had lived like this since she was a child. At the thought of it, I involuntarily shuddered. Compared to her, my life really seemed too perfect.

However, the guilt of trying to take advantage of Rachel didn't last that long.

Because after a couple of seconds, the girl gave out the following phrase:

"...And besides, you're not my type. You'll only embarrass me.

I was already numb from such impudence.

— Who's not your type here?! — I was indignant, — Yes, as if I'm delighted with you. For general information, I was recognized as the most beautiful girl of the empire!

— Who admitted it? Community of the blind?

Well, to hell with feeling sorry for her. Despite the fact that I tried to help her in every possible way, Rachel's attitude towards me did not change in a positive way, but even vice versa. If earlier she simply ignored and did not communicate with me, now she began to mock me. Is there anything good about this person at all...?!

— I understand! I spat out resentfully, "If you don't want to, don't!

Looks like I'll have to find another way to turn the Crown Prince and his brother off. Since Rachel's not going to help me, I'll do without her. I didn't really want to!

In frustrated feelings, I was going to tear up and throw the contract in the trash. I wrote it half the night, but it was all in vain. Now, this is just an unnecessary and useless piece of paper.

But before I could reach the document, Rachel took it first.

Her next question was:

— Where should I put my signature?

28