Chapter 27. Introduction
1k 8 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After Rachel bluntly told her father about the status of our relationship, I immediately blushed. The girl herself stood with an absolutely imperturbable face, as if she had reported something insignificant.

Duke Cassius, who had been looking at me strangely before, looked even more closely. In fact, he was very surprised, although he didn't show it.

There was silence between us for a split second, and I really wanted to slap Rachel for introducing me without permission. After all, I was a representative of traditional views, and I believed that getting to know my parents should take place in a completely different environment.

It took the Duke some time to put this news in his head. Since he knew his daughter's character perfectly well, he knew perfectly well that she definitely wouldn't joke. Therefore, the man did not even ask again if she was serious about what she said.

"Who is this lady?" Duke Cassius asked as calmly as possible.

Finally, I got a chance to introduce myself on my own.

"Sir, I am Leriana of the House of Ashford," I said politely, "my father is the first Archduke of the Empire, Henry Ashford, surely you have heard of him.

The Duke was surprised by this fact even more than what his daughter had reported earlier.

Considering the situation they were in, the girl definitely wouldn't lie about her origin. Especially in front of him. The man's gaze sharpened on her emerald hair, and he remembered that the deceased wife of the Archduke, whom he had seen during his lifetime, had exactly the same.

But what did someone like her forget next to Rachel...? Almost all the aristocrats avoided their family, and this was not news to anyone. All these people wanted to preserve not only their reputation, but also their lives, and only a madman would go against this universal "rule".

In the future, Leriana Ashford will have to become the first lady of high society, and it is even more unprofitable for her to get involved with someone like Rachel. There was simply no apparent motive for this. So why is she doing this?

Has the Archduke's daughter gone mad?

After I introduced myself to him, the Duke looked at me very coldly. I was even afraid that I had said something wrong.

— ...And I am very glad to have the opportunity to meet you! — I hastened to add, despite the fact that it was not quite true. I just hoped it would somehow smooth things over.

In fact, it would be strange if I was eager to meet Rachel's father. The fact that I managed to somehow establish contact with the girl did not mean that I could stop being afraid of the rest of this damned family. It is quite possible that if the Duke does not like our relationship, he will decide to get rid of me.

Even the emperor had to make concessions to him, let alone me. In order for this person not to kill me in the first dark alley I came across, I had to make the most pleasant first impression about myself.

From the burning gaze of Duke Cassius, any normal person could get a heart attack.

But despite the fact that the fear of him stuck in my throat, I kept a smile on my face with an effort of will.

— What does the Archduke's daughter need from our family? "What is it?" he asked sharply.

I was out of breath. There was only one visible explanation for what was happening.

"I... well... you see..." I began awkwardly, trying to find the right expression, "It just so happens that I like Rachel…

— …

Duke Cassius was stunned when I confirmed what my daughter had told him a couple of minutes earlier.

— So it's true? — finally he said.

— If you don't like something, you can keep your opinion to yourself, — Rachel said gloomily, — I'm already an adult, and I can decide what to do myself.

I was a little taken aback when Rachel spoke so rudely in front of the Duke. Even if she was going to defend our "relationship", she had to do it in a milder form. Even though he was her father, he was still the main villain of the empire, from whom you can expect anything.

Sparks flew between Rachel and Duke Cassius. I didn't even know which one of them was more intimidating at that moment.

In the upcoming family showdown, I felt like the third extra, and if I had my way, I would have slipped away from here unnoticed. But now it was becoming dangerous to lift a finger.

— Rachel, if this is all toys for you, I advise you to get it over with as soon as possible. You don't know what it might turn out to be yet.

Deep down, guessing how this dangerous relationship could end, the man tried to dissuade her. But the girl didn't want to hear him.

"I said you can't tell me what to do.

— I'm your father! — he was indignant, - Is it difficult for you to listen to me at least once?

"I already made a concession when I agreed to study at this damned academy! Rachel snapped, "Do you think I like it here?"

The Duke fell silent. Rachel had never argued with him like that before, and even more so, she put pressure on his sore spot.

Duke Cassius sent his daughter to the royal academy without asking her opinion. And this was the first time she directly reminded me of it.

Their scarlet eyes burned into each other with equal intensity when Rachel said:

"If you don't agree to take her, I'm not going anywhere either."

The man exhaled indignantly, while I stared at her in surprise.

Take it where? What is this conversation about?

Now, Rachel looked so determined that it seemed that no one would be able to change her mind under any circumstances. Duke Cassius understood this.

He did not respond to her statement, but it could be taken as a silent agreement.

The next moment, when I was tired of being the only one in the dark about what was happening, I took Rachel by the hand and took her aside to talk. She didn't resist.

— What does that mean? — I hissed softly, - Where are you going to take me?!

—To my house,— Rachel replied quite calmly. When we were alone, the rage from the conversation with her father subsided in her eyes.

I was taken aback.

— What...? Why is that?!

"My father insists that I undergo treatment at home," she muttered, "so I need to leave the academy for a while.

The explanation sounded quite logical. Probably, the father really understood his daughter's health better than the doctors of the empire, who knew nothing about her mysterious illness. And yet, despite this statement, I still had a lot of questions.

— And what does it have to do with me? — angrily blurted out, — How am I connected with your illness?

"No way," Rachel replied glumly, "I just don't want you to be alone with this jerk for a long time without me."

Naturally, it wasn't hard to guess who she meant. The recent episode with Philip was still fresh in my memory. And yet… How could Rachel make me go with her, just because of her personal whims?!

— I can't!

"And why is that?"

— How can I just leave in the middle of the school year? — I burst out, - Do you think the director will just give permission for this?

Rachel shrugged her shoulders.

"You've seen how he shakes at my old man. If he "asks", then the director will not have the courage to refuse.

The girl talked about such things so simply that I did not immediately find what to answer her. She probably didn't see anything wrong with threatening to take me away from the academy. But I didn't agree with that.

— How can you decide such things for me?!

— What's the difference? Rachel sighed irritably, "Winter holidays will start in two weeks anyway. We'll just leave a little earlier. What's wrong with that?

I lost my temper.

— But I don't want to spend my holidays with you!

At that moment, I remembered the promise I had made to my father before leaving. I said that I would definitely come to visit him when the opportunity arose. Probably, my father was waiting for my arrival for the New Year holidays, so I couldn't change my plans so easily because of Rachel.

The girl herself looked at me indignantly.

"So that's what your promise is worth?" Are you ready to just forget about him?

At first I didn't understand what she meant, but then a memory flashed through my head… I really promised her. At the banquet, in order for Rachel to agree to become my partner, I said that I would fulfill any of her wishes.

But I didn't expect her to use it for such a situation.

I was ready to become an errand girl, and other similar humiliation. But not that Rachel would want to take me to her estate for the winter holidays.

I really didn't have a choice.

If I break my word now, Rachel will be disappointed in me forever. Therefore, I mentally asked my father for forgiveness at this second. Looks like I'm really going to have to do this.

— Okay. I'll come with you.

***

That evening I had to pack my things urgently, since the departure to the family estate of the Cassius family would have to take place tomorrow morning.

In my heart, I was still dissatisfied with this outcome of events, but what could I do? I promised Rachel, and I have to pay for my words.

Therefore, although I was somewhat afraid to go to this place, I resigned myself. In the end, it is unlikely that I will be killed there.

Since there was not enough time, I gathered only everything I needed. Previously, she also wrote a letter to her father, in which she informed him of her plans. So that he would not worry about the fact that I was going to the abode of the most dangerous villains of the empire, I lied, writing that I would spend the holidays with a close friend. At least I hope he can understand me.

Sighing, I put down my pen and leaned back in my chair.

I will be staying at the estate of the Duchy of Cassius for almost a month. So far, I had no idea what was waiting for me there. And thinking about it only made me more nervous.

Our contract with Rachel… I wonder how far he will go at all?

We started dating not so long ago, but I've already met her father and now I'm going to celebrate Christmas with them. At this rate, it will all end with a real wedding and four children.

No! Not that!

I slapped my cheeks as these sudden thoughts popped into my head. It is necessary to gather the courage to be ready for everything. In order for our agreement not to grow into something completely unnecessary, I will have to stop in time.

Rachel, I'm pretty sure, didn't take it seriously either.

During this time, we will only play our roles, after which we will peacefully disperse on different roads. There's nothing complicated about that, is there?

Getting to know and build a relationship with Rachel's father could also be part of the plan. After all, as long as I was Rachel's fake girlfriend, trying to make connections with her family seemed quite normal.

Having calmed myself with this thought, I decided to go to bed early so that I would wake up refreshed tomorrow. The trip to the Duchy of Cassius, which was located in the northern part of the empire, was going to be a long one, so I needed to gain strength.

However, when I was almost ready to go to bed, the commandant of the hostel suddenly notified me that someone was waiting for me on the street.

I was surprised who could have been brought so late.

I hoped with all my heart that Philip would not turn out to be an accidental guest, because I wanted to meet him last of all now.

Throwing a robe over my pajamas, I went downstairs with heavy feelings, expecting to see a visitor who was not too welcome. But to my surprise, it wasn't the Crown Prince standing on the porch at all.

A guy with black hair and a cute face brightened up as soon as he met me. He was still in his school uniform, even though the school day had ended a few hours ago.

"Your Highness?" I asked, perplexed, "What are you doing here?"

Razor Blanche smiled at me just like before. It was like we were back in the time when I still called him "the black rabbit."

"I just wanted to check if you were okay," he said, "and I've already told you that I don't like it when you address me like that."

Despite his friendliness, I frowned. The experience with the Crown Prince taught me not to buy into an innocent face so easily.

"I don't know why you're asking this, but I'm fine," I replied.

— That's how… I'm glad to hear that.

— Did you come so late just for this?

The young man looked at me with a faint smile.

"Isn't that normal?" I don't know about you, but I still consider us friends.

— …

I didn't say anything.

To be honest, I didn't understand what he was trying to achieve with these words. Friends...? After all that had happened, could I close my eyes and continue to trust him as well? Moreover, I still did not forget that in the novel Razor was Leriana's second love interest. It is quite possible that he is only trying to reduce my vigilance with speeches about "friendship" in order to seduce me afterwards.

After I didn't answer him for a long time, the second prince spoke first again:

— I was worried that Duke Cassius would not arrive in time because I sent the letter late. But, fortunately, everything worked out.

I was taken aback.

— What are you...?

Razor lowered his head guiltily in front of me.

— I'm sorry that everything happened because of my brother, - he said, — I tried to dissuade him, but... — the guy hesitated, as if not deciding whether to tell me everything in full or not, — In general, I sent a letter to Duke Cassius, in which I wrote what happened to his a daughter.

This news came as a big surprise to me.

Naturally, before that, I wondered how Rachel's father was able to find out about what happened so quickly and come so soon. I assumed that he had some personal connections at the academy, thanks to which he found out everything first-hand.

However, I could not even imagine that Razor was involved in all this. The guy personally addressed such a significant figure, despite the fact that he himself was only a student. This gesture was truly noble, but at the same time… Extremely incomprehensible to me.

To help Rachel and me, the prince went against his brother's plans.

The king would also be displeased if he found out that his son has a personal correspondence with the cursed duke. And even more so if these letters were intercepted on the way. I didn't understand why Razor decided to take such a risk.

— Your Highness… Why did you do that?

I stared at him, trying to guess what motives could be behind this act. But Razor didn't look suspicious at all.

—Like I said, you can trust me," Razor explained, "No matter what, I won't leave my friend in trouble.

— But...!

— I also think that my brother did wrong, — the guy sighed, — I should have stopped him in time so that he wouldn't do stupid things.

I froze, not even knowing what to say.

Today, Razor Blanche opened up to me from a completely unexpected side. A variety of feelings overwhelmed me at this moment.

And I also didn't think I'd ever tell him that.

—Thank you, Blake.

34