First Encounter
30 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My name is Zhang Meng, while people around me call me Mengmeng. It's more like a pet's name. Today is my 18th birthday, but there is no party, no candle, no congratulations from my parents. Seldom did they stay at home,  because father was a train driver while mother was conductor. Both of them spent more time on trains than at home. Having buried myself in piles of paper and books to prepare for the college entrance examination for hours, I'm really hungry. With no leftovers from last meal, I set the book and pen aside, dragged heavy legs  to the living room, and opened the refrigerator to look for something fill up my belly. Rummaging through the fresh can, I only found a small cupcake that I bought on my way home and a tomato, not fresh but still edible. In dire need of sugar and energy, I wolfed  the cake and the tomato down right with bare hands in front of the refrigerator, even the door was still open. 

"Bang,Bang"annoying noise stunned me. I stopped eating but listened carefully to figure out what happened and where the sound came from. Soon I realized it was once again the couple living next door. It seemed difficult for them to get well along with each other. Every two to three days, such things happened like a regular late night show. I'm not interested in that at all, but simply felt pity for the woman cause I can tell she must be crying now from her weeping  voice. But it's none of my business. Finishing the humble midnight treat, I once again drowned herself again in books. 

By the time I took down glasses, the sun rose in the east with sunlight shining into my window. It's such a nice day. The fact that today is Saturday and I don't have to to school made my mood even better. Instead, I had an arrangement with my best friend Lingling. She used to be my classmate in primary and elementary school. But three years ago, she moved to Hong Kong with her mother who divorced her father. It would never be more glad to see an old friend. Quickly, I brushed teeth, washed  face, and did make-ups. I even took out the yellow flora skirt mother bought for birthday and got dressed. I spun and looked into the mirror to enjoy the fabulous skirt. "Perfect outfit for today's dinner." she thought to herself. Being 100 percent satisfied with my outfit and make-up, I carried the white handbag with purse and mobile phone in it, and went out on a 2 inch high heel. 

Things would not always go well. The elevator was under repair, and I had to walked all the way from 8th floor to ground. My feet already hurt when thinking of numerous stairs I was about to conquer with the high heel. But this did not make me flinch back, instead I walked quickly to the emergency exit. 

The moment I opened the door, a young boy came in sight. He sat on the stair with a stroke of smoke blowing through his mouth and nose. He was smoking, but he looked so young.

With brow frowned, I was shocked by the scene and could not help shout to the boy, "what the hell are you doing? how old are you?" 

The boy seemed not hear me. His eyes were still staring at the ground as if there was a gold there. 

"Hey, little boy. You are too young to smoke. Wait until you are an adult" I went toward him and raised my voice. 

He sneered at me and still did not say a word. I didn't know whether because he was not unwilling to or could not, as he got chocked by and  kept coughing for a while. However, he did not quit smoking but sucked more hastily in a strange manner. 

"See? smoking is not good for health. " I laughed at him.

"It's none of your business.  " He was not happy and yelled back bluntly. His face still blushed.

"I've seen too many rebellious boys of your age. Stop watching those gang video. Smoking is not cool at all, especially smoking furtively in such a place. " with no intention to waste my day on such an ungrateful boy, I left right away. But I still noticed that he clenched his fist.

Hanging out with best friend is just amazing. Is there anything better than enjoying yummy food, shopping, and watching movies with Lingling? The answer is definitely negative. However, the scene of a decadent young boy smoking on the stair was lingering in my mind.

In the following days, I almost encountered the boy everyday. He sat in the same spot with cigarettes on hand. Continuous cough meant that he had not got the gist of smoking yet. I'm wondering what made him to do such a silly thing. 

So the next day, I opened the door  when I caught the boy in sight. 

"Hey, who are you?" I said curtly. 

He lifted his head and stared at me, "Why do you want to know that?"

"If you are reluctant to answer my question, then don't." I shrugged and closed the door. 

"Zou Ziqian." He answered curtly before the door shut completely. His voice was soft and innocent. He looked  lonely and silent. Such a feeling of silence and loneliness did not fit his age at all. Maybe it was just my illusion. 

I opened the door with the key and mum was cooking in the kitchen. She walked out with the spatula on hand. "Who are you talking to? I heard your voice minutes ago " Mum asked.

"The boy next door." I said and threw my schoolbag onto sofa.

"You mean the boy of the night show family?" Mum continued.

"Yes. He sat alone in the emergency exit." 

"His parents are so irresponsible to leave such a little boy outside alone at night. " Mum said and asked Kitty to let him in and have dinner together. 

"Mum, are you sure?" I was quite surprised by her hospitality cause she was the one who told me to keep distance with strangers since I was only three. 

Mum nodded, went back to the kitchen, and poured stewed pork chops to the dish. 

Actually, it was not a bad idea. This time, I knocked, but the boy seemed to not get my point and looked at me as if I was a moron. 

"You might not have dinner yet. Come and eat together with us. " I invited him politely and was curious to see his reaction. 

My invitation shocked Zou  Ziqian and the shock rooted him to the spot. He did say anything but simply stared at me. It was hard to tell whether he was happy or not from his eyes. 

After thinking carefully for a while, he extinguished the cigarette and stood right up. 

"Come sit down, Alex " Mum smiled at Zou and pulled the chair out. "There aren't many cuisines. Hope you would enjoy my cooking. " Mum said and passed a bowl of rice to him. 

"Thanks, Auntie." Zou Ziqian held out both hands to take the bowl and put it down on the table. At least he knew how to respect the senior. 

"Ziqian, taste the pork chop. It's soft and rotten. Auntie stewed it for hours in the casserole. " Mum picked up one pork chop with chopsticks and put it in his bowl. "The prawn is quite fresh, so is the cabbage. Help yourself. " Mum kept persuading him to eat more and his bowl was filled with prawn, pork chop, and many other food. It is almost like a mountain now. 

Her behavior embarrassed me a little, as I knew that Ziqian is a rebellious boy with an indifferent attitude towards strangers. Mum's action might let him feel uncomfortable. "Um,Um" I pretend coughing, hoping to stop mother from doing that again. But it did work out. 

To my surprise, Ziqian did not refuse mum's kindness and ate all foods gratefully. Mum was so happy to see the bowl and dish became totally empty. Someone finally appreciated her lousy, no so so, cooking skill. For me, I prefer cuisines made by dad, which are much more delicious. 

Mother brought three cups of milk tea with bubbles on table. That's my favorite, even though it was not healthy and would let me gain weight. However, Ziqian seemed not that into it. After tasting a small bite, he stopped and chatted with mum. It's odd that the two had so many things to talk with each other in their first acquaintance. I knew mum was way too much talkative, but Ziqian? He was definitely a quiet person showing little patience to those elder than him, like me. Since I, my mum's only daughter, was not able to get into their conversation at all, I merely watched TV next to them. 

"Go to your room and study. There are less than 100 days before the college entrance exam. Don't slack off in the last minute." Mum finally noticed me and forced me to study. Reluctant as I was, I still closed the TV and went to my room. 

"It's already nine o'clock now. Auntie, I need to go home to do homework now. Maybe we can talk tomorrow. " Ziqian peered the watch and said. 

"Oh, time flies. It's such a pleasure to chat with you. You are so considerate and much better than my own daughter. " Mum appraised him and undermined me at the same time. "Come to have dinner tomorrow night. Auntie took annual vacation. I'll be home for half a month."

Oh my god, my stomach would be tortured by mum's cooking in the next 15 days? What a thunder breaking news. Hope dad would come home earlier next week. 

2