Chapter 34: Successor
91 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Pashin! Why is this place so dusty?

I was just walking beside the funny hat lady and … I got teleported again. Why? What did I do wrong?

—Successor rescue successful. Affiliation unknown. Identifying.

W-what’s that voice? It’s speaking into my head. I need to get out of here. I can’t see anything, but—the walls are metal? They feel cold to the touch.

I don’t think I can find my way out in this darkness.

—Alliance affiliation confirmed.

What is this voice? It doesn’t sound alive.

‘Alliance’?—is familiar to me.

I knock on the wall. The echoes are long and haunting. Is this a room? No, a chamber?

—Spirit candidacy confirmed. Level 1 and Level 2 information locks rescinded. Good afternoon, candidate.

‘Spirit’? Yes, I know that word, but ‘candidate’? I can become a spirit?

—Time until Operation Agent Tree is -332 years. <ERROR>: Operation Agent Tree is overdue. Attempting to contact Alliance command.

Three hundred years… How old is this place?

—<ERROR>: Communications failed. Contacting on-site technical personnel. No on-site personnel detected. Please stand by.

After a few seconds, dim, sleepy lights allow me to see the colors of grief of the walls, floor, and ceiling. There is nothing else in this room but me. The ceiling is quite high.

One wall is different, like it is made of panels—

—Materialization Chamber 03, gate releasing.

The panels slide upwards, clacking noisily, and disappear into the ceiling. Behind it is a far wall with the numbers ‘03’ painted on it.

I step out of the gate and into a wide hallway, which has a ceiling thrice my height, and which can fit two cargo trailers side-by-side—what’s a ‘cargo trailer’? Never mind. I must continue on.

I can see down to both ends of the hallway. It is lit up by more dim lights. One is a dead end, but the other leads to an opened gate—beyond it is still dark. Along the way, there are more numbers, more gates, more chambers like mine.

The moment I reach the opened the gate, the voice speaks again.

—Please proceed to the Lower Command Center.

The moment I step through, the new hallway is lit up, while the hallway I had just left is dark again.

I do not know where this ‘Lower Command Center’ even is. How did it expect me to—

… There are lines of paint traveling all along the wall to my right. There are five, labeled “Armory,” “Elevator,” “Lower Command Center,” “Storage 02,” and “Barracks 02.”

Wait. Why can I read them?

On second glance, each label is written in at least five languages. I recognize my own, but I think one of these is that of my hosts? I’m not sure. The letters look the same, at least.

I follow the paint lines through the swerving maze of corridors. When I reach a new section, new lights turn on, while the old ones turn off.

Maybe I’m being watched.

I don’t even know how much time passes before I reach a more guarded door, thick like a vault.

—Please enter.

The door opens.

Inside is a command center with much more urgency than Grey spirit’s operations room. Rows of terminals are raised like an amphitheater, overlooking a circular table in the middle.

The table itself is pulsating with a dim blue glow, beckoning me to approach it.

As soon as I am within a few steps of it…

—Successor Protocol in partial effect. Please authorize diagnostics and self-repair of this Node’s communications systems to reestablish contact with Alliance forces.

… Somehow I feel as if I have been made to do someone else’s dishes.

But, all I have to do is agree?

—Correct.

I see. Please do it.

—Initiating diagnostics. Upper communications arrays misaligned. Realigning.

***

Okay! I already told bestie about Pashin, and she told me take care of it. Now, I hate responsibilities, but I also don’t wanna let my bestie down! … no more than I have to!

We were just trying to get into the labyrinth and rescue Pashin, but the entrance suddenly started moving, so nope! We ain’t going in for a while!

The local manager tells me that the thing that was trying to move was damaged in the last demon wave attack. The Labyrinth Preservation Commission opted to reinforce the thing with a bunch of splints to half-assedly preserve the look.

In their defense, the place really is a lot more like a heritage site.

Too bad it looks like the labyrinth isn’t as dead as we thought.

***

—Realignment failed. Physical obstacles detected. Activating point defense systems. Activation failed: low power. Please authorize drawing from the local ley line.

‘Ley line’? What’s that?

—Information unavailable.

Hm. I feel like the Alliance should know more about my situation, and there’s also the fact that I probably cannot leave here without resolving some of this place’s issues…

If you need the power, then go ahead.

—Confirmed. Re-routing 10% of ley line throughput.

***

“Ma’am Margie! The city’s shield’s comin’ down!” Sue shouted.

Really! What on earth’s going on!

The city’s built right on top of a ley line, so Lord Cashhouse’s mana battery industry’s pretty healthy around here. Besides that, he’d also plugged in a city barrier and a bunch of other defenses, which is why Vegas’s still standing.

If the barrier’s going down, something’s going on with the ley line! The labyrinth’s doing something to the ley line! There’s no other explanation here!

Aghh, to hell with it! Super-mega-we’re-in-danger Flare, go!

Greyster! You better get here, fast!

Just then, a circle of pipes pops out of the ground surrounding the labyrinth entrance. They all rotate once, then sink back into the ground.

I’ve got a deadly premonition. The ninjas will probably ninja their way out of most things, but the marines need someplace to hide behind, and this whole place is just flat, flaky ground!

I haven’t done earth magic in a while, but I gotta try!

I punch my fists into the soil. The first pulse of magic I send tells me the soil composition. The second is a calculator app for telling how much dirt I’ll need to stop certain kinds of attacks—but I can’t just go all the way or I’ll use up all my magic in one go, not to mention it’ll take too long to deploy!

Hmmm—screw it! Trenches for all of you!

The third pulse sends cracks through the ground, and all at once, little patches of ground collapse on themselves.

I toss myself into the nearest trench and I shout at everyone to do the same.

That’s when a turret the size of a horse pops out of the ground, right beside the entrance! … but it’s facing the entrance?

Actually, it looks like it’s searching for something around the entrance. Oh what the heck, the turret can move! The turret’s on rails—that’s cheating!

Still, it’s just inspecting the entrance.

Huh, it stopped in front of the part that was wiggling a while ago. What’s it—is it whacking the thing with its gun barrel?!

Honestly, it’s such a godsend that no one’s tried to attack it until now. I don’t think anyone can. The turret’s just too fast and too powerful-looking—but all it’s doing is whacking the pole sticking out of the side of the entrance with its cannon.

That’s when a shadow covered all of us. Grey’s here!

***

—Unknown spirit unit detected. Possible hostile intent. Attempting communications.

Unknown spirit unit—that’s Grey! Though, I’m unsure if I should trust him…

—Query: Is spirit unit ‘Grey’ hostile?

I don’t think so? Although I am suspicious, he adheres to the princess, and the princess treats him like a friend.

—Acknowledged. Threat level lowered to UNCERTAIN. Resuming communications attempts.

—Huh, what’s this static…

—Hail, unidentified spirit. You are infringing on Alliance airspace. Halt or be fired upon.

—The fuck? Uh, sure.

Huh? No, no! Don’t fire!

—Pashin? Is that you?

—Network leak detected. Patching.

No, please! I think—I would like to speak to Grey.

—Conference request acknowledged. Please wait until after the patch is applied.

—So uh, what now?

—Please wait until after the patch is applied.

—Oh, wow. One of these again, huh, am I right?

Am I … supposed to laugh?

—N-never mind.

—Patch applied. Starting conference. Conference is live. Unknown spirit unit, please identify yourself.

—Uhh, I’ve got a few names. Officially USS Dick, but unofficially, it’s just Grey.

—Confirmed USS DICK, alias: GREY. Detected aircraft carrier, class: DICK, of the UNITED STATES. Notice: Alliance affiliate detected: UNITED STATES. Threat level set to LOW. Query: Is UNITED STATES operational?

—The heck’s up with this labyrinth—uhh, that’s a bit complicated. It’s called the Dragon Kingdom of Merika now. Is it considered the same country if good ‘ol America is considered ’ancient’ around here?

—Acknowledged. Diplomatic channels for DRAGON KINGDOM OF MERIKA set to PENDING. Additional response: I am Node 211, alias: LAS VEGAS NODE.

—Query: Spirit unit GREY is manufactured by an Alliance affiliate that no longer exists. Current affiliation?

—Well, that’s Merika, now. The Kingdom.

—Acknowledged. Threat level set to NOT IMMEDIATE. Diplomatic options available for spirit unit GREY. Please confirm initiation of negotiations.

—Uhh, sure? Let’s talk?

— … Please confirm initiation of negotiations.

Ah! Me too? Yes! Yes.

—Acknowledged. Query: What does spirit unit GREY require?

—I’m not sure how much of this I can talk about. Let me just ask Sam—ah, just not about the—oh? I see. Alright, so the most I can say is that I’m just here for repairs and that we’re actually escorting Pashin there. We’d like her back, too.

—Query: Purpose for transporting candidate PASHIN?

— … Courtesy, I guess? She’s from some type of stasis tube in one of my rooms, so as far as any of us are concerned, we’re responsible for her.

Ah! I- I just want to say, that I want to stay with Grey.

— … oh my god, she trusts me.

—Spirit unit GREY identified as ALLY. Level 1 information locks rescinded. NOTICE: Spirit candidates are under priority protection under Alliance protocols. Due to Successor Protocol in effect, you may override this prerogative.

Please. Override it.

—WARNING: Successor Overseer status required. Due to absence of other successors, do you wish to become Successor Overseer?

H-huh? What does that do?

—Until Alliance command is reestablished, the Successor Overseer will have full authority over this Node and other Nodes connected to it. Additionally, this grants you the position of supreme commander for Alliance forces connected to these Nodes.

That’s … that’s heavy.

—I don’t think it’ll be a problem.

Huh?

—There’s a full staff in the Ops Room that’ll be happy to help you out, I bet.

Oh, that’s right… They have been courteous to me this whole time.

But, it’s so hard to understand each other!

—Query: Language barrier?

Yes! It’s so infuriating!

—Please proceed to the Armory for a translation device. There are currently (3) in stock.

I- I think I might cry.

—Awaiting response to former prompt.

Ah! Right, right.

Yes. I’ll be this… Successor Overseer. And rescind the … instant kidnapping part of the priority protection protocols.

—Query: Is non-instant kidnapping allowable?

No! Consent is important! No kidnapping allowed at all!

—Acknowledged. Modifying protection protocols to require consent.

Now, I wonder how this Node’s problems can be fixed. It seems to know have clues about my history, and I feel tied to this ‘Alliance,’ whatever it is.

It also mentioned an ‘Operation Agent Tree.’ I wonder what it is?

—Operation what? Sounds like we’re getting dragged into something big. Again.

Oh no, my thoughts are still being broadcasted! Ugh. Let the wind blow wherever it wills, I suppose…

—NOTICE: Information on Operation Agent Tree is not available in this Node.

The winds don’t blow my way, it seems.

—PROPOSAL: A proxy Node may be used to contact Alliance forces. Closest known Node: Node 230, alias: DALLAS NODE. Its local database may retain information on Operation Agent Tree. Recommending Overseer PASHIN to assume command of DALLAS NODE.

If I can find more information there… then I shall.

—REMINDER: Establish a proxy connection between LAS VEGAS NODE and DALLAS NODE.

O-of course, I wouldn’t forget you.

—Sounds good. It’ll be a while, though. I’m still full of goddamn holes from just a while ago…

—PROPOSAL: Spirit unit GREY may be granted limited access to the Spirit System. Overseer authorization and spirit unit registration in local database is required.

—Huh, ‘Spirit System’? What’s that do?

—Compatible technologies detected on spirit unit GREY. This Node retains fragmentary information and manufacturing capabilities. The Spirit System will allow spirit unit GREY to interface directly with this Node’s local database and make requests to its facilities. Repair timeline may be accelerated in this manner.

—Let me just talk to my supervis—and she said yes, damn, that was fast.

I will agree as well.

—Acknowledged. Please complete spirit unit registration.

—The heck is this, a GForm? You still use GForms? Weird, but anyway, here you go, I guess.

—Registration complete. Overseer authorization detected. Granting access. Granted.

***

Grey here.

[SPIRIT SYSTEM ACTIVATED]

Blue panels, holy shit.

Oh, before I forget.

Can you retract the gun turret that’s whacking the antenna with its barrel? It’s freaking out the locals, thanks.

1