CHAPTER 13: “Just like this”
89 4 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Part 2 begins here:

   My life has changed in a lot of ways. When I was very little, I was a total flirt, I wanted a girlfriend so bad I thought the comedic relief characters that flirted a lot were super cool. After my first epiphany, I realized this was not the correct way to live, I still wished to have a girlfriend, but flirting with girls constantly was not the way, but I still held hope. Then something was revealed to me, by someone that to this day I still view as very wise. Having a girlfriend, and finding love, were not to be on my agenda if I was like I was. I either changed myself for the sake of impressing or found a way to understand this was not to be my life and find a method to suppress the feelings. Thanks to him I found rom-com anime, and my second epiphany began. There was no bigger satisfaction form than seeing two characters that loved and deserved each other coming together, so why not help make that happen. And so, I became a shipper.

   One thing was constant through these phases, I was mostly alone. Either I was approached but deemed weird, or not approached at all and judged. None of my goals finding fulfillment, only finding comfort in rom-com anime, visual novels, and online anime-like rom-com stories by authors more or less like me. I managed to make three friends, two of which left, and one who due to my interference without full knowledge, ended bitterly for both.

   But things changed in high school. Not only did I make a new friend, who bonded with me through anime OSTs, but I reconnected with the one whose best friend I stole and strengthened the bond with my bestest friend of all. Not only that, but I was also finally able to fulfill my self-proclaimed role as a shipper, helping 5 girls have shots at winning my best friend's heart. We've had ups and downs, but thanks to all of us, and our desire to overcome those hurdles, and help each other, and ourselves, we've managed to find some sort of harmony and tolerance, growing closer.

   I even managed to grow close to and befriend two once strangers from the mall through texts and phone calls, also reconnecting with my best friend's older sister. 

   As I place the photo, I got with Sanagi, Fasshon, and Jinna at the arcade that day, on my memory wall, I can't help but wonder what new adventures await me, my friends, and my ships. Will any of the girls win John's heart? Will any new challengers arrive? Will my friendships last? Will Sanagi ever stop calling me Nio-chan? Who knows?

   Ever since we all made up that camping day, the last month has been hectic for me. Three plans for Gita. Four plans for Mattari, five for Panchikikku, and seven for Kiken (not surprising).

   But no matter the amount of plans, so far nothing has been able to match the sudden rise in the chance that Gita had after the fishing outing, her chances skyrocketed that day when John did something with her that he only does with a select few. Safe to say she is not the one at the bottom of the list of 'who will most likely win' anymore. But my biggest surprise has been Ao-sen.

   She shares a huge advantage by being John's closest friend for years, yet she has only asked for my help two times in the last month, and those two times have mostly been outings between the three of us: John, Ao-sen, and me, like hangouts, where no attempts at getting closer to him have been made.

   I didn't know it then, but this was just the moment. The moment the main plot began to slightly change.

...

   I was locked in combat with Sen-sen. His power is too strong. The more time Sen-sen resides in Nio, the stronger he gets, I must expel him. Not because of hate, or jealousy, but because this rivalry is fun.

- "UMBRELLA SMASH!"

- "AO-CLOAK BLOCK!"

- "I see you have mastered a new technique Ao-Senshi, but unfortunately for you, I am currently on a higher ground position than you!"

- "You may be currently standing on top of Mount Desk, but that will mean nothing if you can't stop SPRINKLE WOOSH!"

- "GAAH"

   Sen-sen falls from the desk and hits his head trying to dodge my attack. Sen-sen may be my enemy, but Nio is not so I worry for him.

- "Nio, can you hear me? Do I call Sen-sen off? Are you ok?"

- "Foolish warrior, you have fallen onto my trap... 'REALITY REJECTED, SYNAPS- Wait... I can't say that without the copyrights... Whatever, get ready to-"

- "What are you guys doing?"

{The dark-haired shipper and the blue-haired action heroine were currently standing in the middle of the classroom with a bunch of toppled desks and chairs around, as the teacher stood at the frame of the door looking at them with disappointment}.

- "Miss Takamiya, I told you to clean the room, not make more of a mess from it! And you Mister Toyohama, this isn't even your classroom yet here you are bothering Miss Takamiya. Because of this, you are to assist her as well. One more peep from either of you that is not cleaning, and I will forbid you from participating in the school's class trip."

   Eagle High is a place well known for its unique travel places. Our battle this year would take us to a remote island called Puerto Rico. A place filled with a history of combat, and a fortified ancient barrier. As a warrior myself, learning from the history of the war would help me. But my main worry comes from its language. Warriors tend to know many languages, but I am more on the field rather than a technical one, so the language known as Spanish is foreign to me.

- (Whisper). "Sen-sen"

- (Whisper). "Thanks for de-activating me. Now let's get to cleaning and get out of here fast."

   Nio worked fast with me, he may not be in warrior mode, but his speed matches those of many warriors I have faced during my lifetime. In less than 15 minutes we concluded our tasks given to us by our superior officer, and we were retreating to our respective bases of operations.

- "Are you excited to go to Puerto Rico?"

- "Its history of battles interests me in many ways, but its language is the cause for much worry."

- "Yeah. I don't know Spanish either, good thing we have a week before we have to leave, we can learn the basics 'till then, and I've heard some speak English as well."

- "That would make communication more suitable in combat should we require allies in the region."

   As we talked, we reached the dimensional split, or what humans know as crossroads. Nio was to proceed to his home and me to my own. But I decided to ask.

- "Nio, can I ask for your help?"

- "Sure Ao-sen. What is it?"

- "I wish to have a training, preparation, and relaxation outing with you and the commander."

- "What you are saying is you want to hang out while looking for things we need for our Puerto Rico trip, but also have fun and relax?"

- "Affirmative. Soldiers need to be in great physical condition, but the state of mind must also be at peace, so what humans know as fun should be included."

Nio ponders my question, and that scheming smirk places itself on his face.

- "Are you asking me for help in getting closer with John?"

- "Negative, the commander is to have as much fun as you and me."

- "So, a friendly hangout?"

- "Yes."

- "..."

   Nio is confused by my statement, but he nods in agreement. I know he wonders why I haven't solicited his unique assistance, but he will learn soon enough.

...

   I concluded my call with John. We were set, tomorrow Ao-sen, John, and I would look for preparations so that we can be ready for our class trip. I never expected eagle High to send us to Puerto Rico of all places. It's not that it's bad, it's just unexpected. Ao-sen also said she wanted us to have fun, I assume that after all preparations are ready we will do fun stuff, some physical, and some that are not.

   I don't know, there is something strange. Ao-sen once again has asked for my help, but not for help in getting closer to John, but rather in just hanging out, the three of us. Don't get me wrong, having fun with my first two friends ever, sounds amazing, but while all the other girls are making moves on John, Ao-sen could be left behind. I know she knows it, despite her heroic delusions, so why?

...

   The day was here, and this time we met in a closer mall than last time. Fasshon says it has all the stuff needed for a school trip that is outside of Japan and on a tropical Island.

- "Ok, let's do this guys. We'll get all we need for the trip, and then meet at the smoothie shop that Miko suggested so we can start having fun. Nio, remember you have a phone, if for some reason you or any other gets lost, let's call each other. And if for some reason I get distracted and don't notice you, feel free to hit me, and be sure I will do the same should the situation be inversed."

- (Sarcastic tone). "Ok, John..."

- "Understood commander."

- "Ok, let's split."

   We split up to get what each of us needs. I know nothing of clothing, so I call Fasshon, she knows her stuff.

- (Through phone). "Fasshon, I need fashion help."

- (Through phone). "Like... Who is this?'

- (Through phone). "What?! It's me Nio, I texted you yesterday!"

- (Through phone). "Who?"

- (Through phone). Sigh. "I got lost in a mall, forgot I had a phone with me, and forgot I could show my student I.D."

- (Through phone). "Hahahaha... That, like, never gets old. I knew who you are. Now you said you needed fashion help. You called the right girl for the job. Send me pictures of what you like, and I'll pick what suits you best. Remember, you have to like it, it can't be my fashion sense, it's yours, I'm just here to help, judge, and criticize."

- (Through phone in a sarcastic tone). "Great."

...

   I hate shopping, but I have no idea of what is needed for the tropic, so asking Fasshon's help was for the best. I have bug spray, flower shorts, exercise shirts, and a traditional 'pava'. I'm not wearing it to make fun, but because I think it looks cool, I didn't tell Fasshon though, she'd disapprove, I did get Sanagi's opinion.

   I'm the last to arrive at the smoothie place, John is seated and waiting, while I see Ao-sen ordering the smoothies for all of us. She invited, and I ain't no gentlemen, so free stuff is my stuff.

   We seat and drink our smoothies talking about all the cool things that we bought. Both of them laughed when I showed them my 'pava', it's not because of the 'pava' itself, it's 'cause my hair makes it not fully fit on my head.

- "You might consider a haircut Nio!"

- "Over my dead body."

- "You might look cool."

- "Just cause you look cool while bald, doesn't mean I would."

- "What do you think Miko?"

- "Hmm? ... I believe Nio would greatly benefit from such a cut. A warrior's hair should not impede combat."

- "You just want me to look like an egg."

- "Egg kind feels offended by your statement."

- "You asked for it, John..."

- "No... don't pour it on me!"

- "Hahahahaha..."

...

   After smoothies, we found ourselves at a laser tag place. This time me and John paid, to Ao-sen's complaints. It was a tag team battle, me and Ao-sen against John and a random stranger I've never met and that was already eliminated.

- "Are you sure you want to do this Nio?"

- "Yes... Activate Sen-sen, I will make a truce with you."

- "It pains me to go against the commander by assisting my mortal enemy, but for the sake of this training exercise I will."

- "NIIIIOOOO... MIIIKOOOO... WHEEERREEE AAAREEEE YOOOUUUU?! Afraid to get shot?!"

<SHK-SHK>

- (Whisper). "Sen-sen..."

- (Whisper). "I will finally eliminate commander John."

- (Aims gun at Nio and whispers). "This is training... If I see hints of you getting out of control, I'll take you out myself."

   We both pop out from opposite sides of our hiding spot and aim at John, who was caught off guard.

- "DOUBLE ATTACK!"

- "OPPOSITE BULLET..."

- "BARRICADE!"

   John scrambles and surprisingly he isn't hit, managing to hide behind one of the defense stances in the laser tag arena, but not before one final attempt.

- "You know. Having you screaming those things makes it all the more intense, but this is over."

   He rises from his hiding and launches a light grenade, exclusive to this laser tag place. If the tag suit senses the flash of light it emits, the player hit is out. The grenade is launched towards Ao-sen. I felt like being dramatic so...

- "Ao-Senshi! NO!"

<TUK>

<TAK>

I jumped in front of the grenade, and it hit me as I fell.

- "SEN-SEN! What? WHY?"

- "I am the only one that is meant to defeat you. If not me then no one!"

- "Sen-sen, hang in there. Our battle is for the ages. I must defeat you, so you must survive."

- "I am sorry. You were my most worthy opponent... Bleagh!"

- "NOOOOOOOOOO!"

- "Wait a minute... Why hasn't the system notified me that I'm eliminated?... Why is my vest still in green?"

From the hiding spot John rises...

- "Hehe... It seems I forgot to press the button on the grenade before throwing it... Retry?"

<PIU>

<PIU>

<JOHNTHEBALDONE HAS BEEN ELIMINATED TEAM SENAO WINS!>

...

- "Sheesh, if I had only pressed the button, I would have won."

- "Look man, you've been telling us about the same thing for the past hour. Let it go!"

- "A warrior's greatest strength is knowing to admit defeat, live to fight another day."

- "Easy for you to say, you won."

   Laser tag was over, and we were now seated on some massage chairs because why not. I decided to take some of this time to write tentative shipping plans in my notebook. The Puerto Rico trip is for one week I think, there are many possibilities for romance on school trips, that is rom-com anime 101.

- "Well, I'm going to the bathroom."

- "Don't fall in!"

- "I'm not small enough to fall in, isn't that right Nio!"

- "Watch it."

- "Ha-ha..."

   Once John was gone, I focused on my notebook, but out of nowhere Ao-sen took it, closed it, and placed it in my backpack, which was currently on the floor. I could only look at her in confusion, but she was at peace, eyes closed, and reclined on the massage chair.

- "Hey Ao-sen... Why haven't you asked for help in getting closer to John? I thought you said you wanted m help."

- "I realized something..."

- "?"

- "I want things to stay just like this between us."

- "What?"

   To say I was confused was an understatement. Ao-sen loves John, was I wrong? But the look she gave him, and the times she did ask for help. I decide to look at her face for any sign of that flame of love, but all I see is serenity. Ao-sen looks at me and only smiles. She stands up and removes her action hero-like coat.

- "I decided that I don't want things to change between us. I want to keep playing with you and hanging with John, like when we were kids."

- "B-but... If you don't give yourself a chance, you might regret it later. John will eventually meet someone, and you will regret not taking a chance."

- "I already told John..."

- "What?"

- "Yes"

   It took me a while to notice, that Miko wasn't speaking in her normal way of speaking. No mention of battles, commanders, or warrior sparks. She even called her mission of expelling Sen-sen 'playing'. Whatever this was, it was important, so Miko Takamiya was doing the talking, not Ao-sen.

- "Did he... Reject you...?"

- "No... It is more complicated than that. I told him exactly what I am telling you right now. He knows that I love him, but he also knows I want to stay friends."

- "But why? If you love him, why do you want to remain friends."

- "Because as time passed the nature of my love began to change. When we were kids, I had the best moments in my life with you and John. I was jealous of you and John's closeness, but those were still my favorite moments. Back then I was in love with him, so when we left, I decided to focus on that, but the waves of guilt I had stopped me from fully enjoying that chance, a fire burning in me fighting the water of guilt."

I guess that even when speaking normally, some analogies still show her true self.

- "No matter how much fun I had with John it was not the same. Then you came and seeing you and John together made the fire grow. And once the guilt was done and over with when we hanged out at the beach, the flame could soar. The plans you made to get me closer to John, worked, the flame was at a great strength, but... when the flame was the strongest was when all three of us were together having fun. My love had changed, I wasn't in love anymore, I love John, as much as I love you... I love our friendship. I told John how I felt for years because I owed it to him, but he only hugged me and smiled. Whether he liked me back or not I don't know nor do I wish to know. What I know, is that he doesn't want something romantic right now, at least with me, and neither do I."

- "..."

- "..."

- "Because you think things will change if you pursue John? But if you get together, we can still hang out together... And if he gets someone else, it will still eventually change things."

- "Then I guess I must enjoy it while I have it..."

She smiled while closing her eyes, very anime-like. I was very confused.

- "You didn't fail before you ask. This is my choice. My feelings might change again, and I might regret my current decision in the future, but it is a risk I am willing to take. John deserves someone that will attempt to win his heart, for the sake of having a relationship closer than friends. And you deserve to work on ships that want that."

- "Does this mean you won't want my help anymore?"

- "I didn't say that. I asked you for help today, right? I might ask for help for outings like these. Can you do that?"

- (Smiles lightly). "Yes..."

- "Great... Talking like humans is exhausting. This is not the end of the war. My goal to defeat Sen-sen continues, your goals will only end when you wish them to, but things are ever-changing, even battles and battlefields, even the flames within."

   Ao-sen places her coat on again and poses looking at the distance, as the wind blows on her coat from who knows where; the massage chair forgotten.

   John returns with cheese dogs for the three of us, and after questioning him profusely on whether he had washed his hands after the bathroom, or not, we ate and continued with our day.

...

   That night I cried the death of the childhood friend route, my second favorite route of all. But thankfully its death did not come due to inaction, rejection, or self-sacrifice; this time it came due to a personal choice, a realization. And although she might regret it later, she wishes to do things full-heartedly, so this was the best choice for her. But I can't sit and grieve, a trip to Puerto Rico is coming.

...

Things are shifting, and the balance of power is changing in this second part.

Next time, what to do when a cyan-haired yandere was to sit next to her beloved on the bus? The start of the Puerto Rico arc begins, on Protagonist is a Shipper part 2.

3