CHAPTER 4: “A Shipper’s Track Record”
196 4 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
- “Hey… John…”

- “What’s up Nio?”

- “I wanted to ask you a question?”

- “Ha-ha… You’re already at it so go ahead.”

- “Ha-ha… Guess you’re right.”

- “So… What is it?”

- “If I ever come up with a fun idea for you to do with your friends, in an attempt to get you closer… Would that be ok with you?”

- “…”

- “…”

- “…”

- “…”

- “Why wouldn’t it be ok?”

- “Huh?”

- “I like all of my friends, and if hanging out brings us closer somehow, then I don’t mind, even if it is through your ideas.”

- “‘Fiuh’… What a relief.”

- “One condition though…”

- “What is it?”

- “To make sure you remember to include yourself in some of those plans… You are my best friend after all.”

{As wind entered through the window of the high school third year’s classroom, the small first year, smiled towards his bald best friend, and extended his fist towards him}.

- “You got it.”

{And while the sunset occurred, both fists collided, an unbreakable bond of friendship was strengthened}.

   After the day my notebook was discovered, we came to an agreement. I would help create opportunities for each of the girls to get closer to John, while also helping them overcome the hurdles that stop them in their tracks, whether it be shyness, violent tendencies, over formality, or obsessive tendencies.

   I can’t say that the girls were thrilled with this arrangement, as many would have preferred for me to never know they had a crush on John, but sadly they were, two months and a bit more, late to realize that blunder.

   After my dialogue with the girls, I had to talk things with John. Of course, I wasn’t going to sell the girl’s secrets like that, but I refuse to be one of those shippers that creates romantic scenarios at the expense of how those involved feel about it, which leads to pain, and friendships breaking because of it. My friendship with Ao-sen is already strained due to distance, my friendship with Gita is vulnerable due to how recent it is, and I refuse to throw my bro under the bus for the sake of a ship.

   I don’t tell him I’m shipping him, I tell him about creating scenarios for him to grow closer to his friends, which is not a lie, whether any romance blooms between John and any of the girls, will be up to the girls and John himself. This I made clear to the girls in our dialogue. John may be dense and oblivious, but he knows to what line of closeness he wishes to keep his friends, that has been clear to me since I was a kid.

   With that out of the way, Friday came, and classes were over for the week, so I was ready to pack and leave when suddenly I hear a knock at the door of my classroom. It was late and I had to clean up the classroom. (If only I hadn’t squealed when the teacher discussed that romance novel in class!) I was the only first-year left in the classroom, and after the Kiken incident I was a bit worried, but she wouldn’t knock, so I guess whoever it was, was ok.

- “Come on in.”

   I don’t even look at who comes in, I need to finish cleaning the board fast. I have homework, and I need to begin strategizing plans to help each girl, I can’t slack off, their rom-com depends on me. It's up to them to come to me when they need help, and when that happens, I want to be ready.

   As I continue my work, I hear steps approaching me, and suddenly three movie tickets obscure my line of vision. I can feel my irises expand at what I see (don’t ask how that works). They were tickets to a new anime romance movie that was hitting the theaters. It is highly acclaimed by both critics and audiences. It has chase scenes, action, fluff, heart wrench, supernatural weather, and true love. Sure, it doesn’t have much comedy, but it has an amazing OST. Ever since I saw the trailers, I had wanted to see it. And now three tickets are in front of me.

   I turn to my side and see Gita smiling at me with that small, shy, and guarded smile she has. I had told Gita about this movie since I knew she liked some of the anime music I listen to, as it turns out she follows the music group responsible for this movie’s OST. She is so sweet, inviting me to see this movie, three tickets for us… Wait… three?

   I take a minute to process it, and when I finally realize it, my smile grows even wider. Gita looks at me as if I came from the circus or something, but I don’t mind. This means that most likely, one of the tickets would be for John as well. Is this the way of her telling me that my time has come? I can’t jump to conclusions, but I can tell my time has come.

- “Is one of the tickets for John?”

- “E-Eh… Well… You see, the thing is…”

   I tuned out, sorry I don’t mean any disrespect, I just needed to return to the shipping realm in my brain to analyze the situation. I wouldn’t have expected Gita to be the first one to come to me for help though. My smile turns into a smirk that looks as if it came from a meme or something. I need to think…

   Wait, if I go with, one of us three would be the ‘third wheel’. I don’t mind if that were me, I knew that was a possibility when I started this, but the thing is, the odds of me being the third wheel are very low. John is my best friend, and the moment he sees the action parts of the movie he’ll start talking to me, and I won’t be able to resist talking back, resulting in Gita being out, and that’s not good. Or, considering how Gita is around John, she would end up talking to me the most, leaving John out, not that he would mind, but that would be terrible if this is going to work. And so it is with a heavy heart, that I need to prepare myself to decline.

- “But if I go along… Wouldn’t that get in the way of you hanging out with John?”

- BUT… Sorry… But you wanted to see that movie so much, you gotta come with.

   AHHHH… SHE’S SUCH A NICE PERSON! Disregarding that my presence might affect her chances, she places my feelings into consideration. THIS IS WHY SHE IS BEST GIRL DANG IT!

   Gita, Chowa, or, Chowa Gita, for those in most Western audiences, is my current second, best friend. I met her on my tour of the school before I vowed to succeed on my entrance exams and get accepted. Other than Ao-sen, she is the only girl in John’s pentagon that acknowledges me. We bonded over music, she liked my anime OSTs, and I liked her playlists from the very same singers of the OSTs I hear. She lives at the house to the right of the apartment complex I live in, so we often walk to school together. (I know what you are thinking and it’s not gonna happen). Kiken may lead the music group, but Gita is the MVP guitar player that steals the show. She is also a gamer. I WANT HER TO WIN SO BADLY!!! But that is up to John. Sadly, Gita is shy when conversing, not to the levels of incomprehensiveness, but she gets easily flustered especially when it comes to John. She met John back when both were going to become high school first years. She told me she was lost in the train station and had accidentally slipped on an ice cone, staining her pants (embarrassing am I right, I laughed so hard when she told me, it was the first time I experienced the silent treatment from someone). After that, she told me John found her and used his recently bought jacket so she could cover the stain on her pants. He took her to a small discount cloth shop and bought her, a new pair of pants with his allowance. She tried to resist the idea, but he insisted with a gorgeous smile on his face (her words, not mine. AHH SUCH ROMANCE! I WISH I WAS THERE! I tell you my bestie has more game in his obliviousness for an hour that the one I had during my flirting years). Anyway, they both arrived at school late and got detention, but became friends ever since. Gita developed feelings but she doesn’t know how to express them. She has the least chance at success of all, but I love an underdog, I always want shy beauties who value the protagonist to win. It will be hard for me to top that scenario that happened to them as if by plot armor, but with some scenarios I create, and a couple of confidence-boosting sessions, she’ll be on the race.

Now back to the moment at hand, I have an idea.

- “Meet me at my apartment in about two hours to discuss a strategy.”

- “Ok. If you say so.”

- “I have a plan trust me.”

{Two hours later, Nio’s apartment}

- “You said that you still want me to come to watch the movie, even if it is a chance for you to get closer to John.”

- “Well… Those weren’t my exact words. But I do want to hang out with John, but I also want you to see the movie.”

- “Ok, there is a way for all three to see the movie, without me getting in the way of your ‘hangout’ with John.”

- “What is it then?”

- “I’ll seat on a different row in the theater.”

- “WHAT? But won’t you be lonely, watching a movie by yourself in the theater?”

- “Nah… I’ve done it countless times I’m used to watching movies alone.”

- “That’s not… Exactly a good thing…”

- “Don’t mind me. I’ll be watching with you both at heart, I’ll be there, just not close by, so I can avoid getting in the way of the romance.”

- “Umm… Let’s start slow, ok Nio…”

THE WAY SHE TAPS HER FINGERS WHEN SHE’S NERVOUS IS ADORABLE!

- “Ok… Next order of business. Since it’s a movie theater, you won’t get many chances to converse with him. We need a situation that allows you to talk to him, before or after the movie.”

- “What. But I’m not sure that I can.”

- “Yes, you can. Trust me, because I trust you. (I’ve heard something similar somewhere). You want to get to know John better right?”

- “Yes.”

- “Then that is what conversations are for. Do you have any ideas? I can’t do everything for you. Is there anything you can do with him before the movie that allows you to talk?”

- “I do morning jogs every day to keep in shape. I could postpone it a bit and invite John to jog to the theater with me instead of meeting there since we both live close to it.”

- “THAT’S A GREAT IDEA!”

- “If you say so.”

- “Next order of business… You haven’t invited John yet, have you?”

- “Yes, I… NO, I DIDN’T”

   And with that, Saturday came. The movie was a matinee, so it started at eleven AM. It was now ten AM, and Gita was already at John’s door. We both have com-links on our ears so we can stay in contact and make sure ‘JohnIta’ or ‘GitOn’, (John x Gita ship name), is a success. John comes out of his house, and both teenagers are wearing tracksuits. Gita tied her pink hair in the usual way, leaving her blue highlights exposed, the main difference n her is that she isn’t wearing those headphones, and her tracksuit doesn’t have the blue musical, not her normal shirt has. John on the other hand looks so different, with that gray, long-sleeve tracksuit, and black pants, but it's not bad. I’m currently watching from a bush nearby like a total creep, but I told them I would meet them at the movie theater since I had community service today, which isn’t a lie, and I hate exercising, which also is not a lie. Today I had to help direct traffic, and I was going to use that to my advantage, Hehe.

   They begin their jog, and despite me not liking to exercise, when I’m goal-driven, I’m faster than both, so I sprint faster while hiding in the bushes.

   When I reach the intersection where I’m supposed to direct traffic in today, I get my suit ready, and due to my job as I’m supposed to, up to the point when I see John and Gita approaching from the pedestrian area. If they proceed straightforwardly, they’ll arrive at the theater with thirty minutes to spare, but I want them to see something. If they turn right, there is a path full of cherry blossoms (cliché I know, but still), they’ll still have 15 minutes before the movie so…

   Springing into action, I create a barricade that blocks the path forward and put on some glasses to prevent John or Gita from recognizing me. The moment I do this, hundreds of cars start honking at me, and drivers start to scream and ask the reasoning behind my actions, but I tune them out until John and Gita are in front of me. John doesn’t notice anything suspicious of me, he doesn’t recognize me, but I can feel the wheel’s turning in Gita’s head. Thankfully John asks a question.

- “What is going on officer?

- “Construction up ahead.” (Blatant lie, there are even cars ahead, but John is not smart enough to question, no offense).

- “I see.”

- “Where were you headed?”

- “The movie theater, but we need to be there before eleven AM.”

- “Then you are on time. If you turn right, on that path, you’ll reach an intersection. Turn left at it and you’ll reach the movie theater on time.”

- “THANKS, OFFICER! I told you, Gita, there was nothing to worry about.”

- “Umm… Sure”

She eyes me suspiciously, and I sweat, but, but John pulls her out of the trance and both take the right. My plan was a success.

<HONK>

- “What’s the hold-up!”

Now I have to deal with this though…

{With John and Gita, Cherry blossom path}.

- “Waoh… I love cherry blossoms. Without that little detour, we wouldn’t have been able to see this. Don’t you think it’s cool Gita?”

- “It sure is. I didn’t know you liked them.”

- “There were many on the place I lived when I was a kid, mom used to take me to see them a lot before she died.”

- “Oh… I’m sorry… I didn’t know”.

- “It’s ok. It’s all in the past, besides, I’m real glad I get to see them with you.”

- “O-oh.” (Blushing intensifies).

{Back with Nio and traffic jam}.

My man. How is it that you have remained single all these years? The heck do you get this pick-up lines from. It’s as if you’re the one that watches anime rom-coms. I turn off the com-link so I can focus.

- “Hey, aren’t you a little young to be directing traffic?”

- “Aren’t you a little old to be infringing copyright by asking me the question like that?”

{Back with John and Gita at the movie theater}.

- “Well look at that. The officer was right. We have 15 minutes to spare. Do you see Nio anywhere?”

- “No. Not yet. I’ll call him to meet us.”

- “Sounds like a plan, I’ll buy the snacks since you paid for the tickets”.

{The always nice, naturally born pick-up liner, goes to the snack line, while the shy beauty tries to call her friend, at the entrance. She knows this was part of his plan, but she really doesn’t want him to miss the movie. But as she tries, the calls don’t connect}.

- “Come on Nio. I know you are trying to help me, but you were more excited about this movie than both John and me together…”

{Back with Nio and the traffic jam. His phone kept ringing, but it wasn’t currently in his hands}.

- “Do you mind telling us why you barricaded the road when your only instructions were to direct traffic?”

- “Would you believe me if I said it was in the name of love.”

I’m so screwed. Sorry, Gita, it seems the plot was against mere today… Who am I kidding? This was my doing.

- “Sure… You can tell me all about it at the station.”

- “Shoot.”

{What the dark-haired shipper didn’t notice, was that behind the post, there was a certain cyan-haired beauty creepily grinning at his misfortune}.

{Back at the theater}.

- “He’s not responding. Neither the phone nor the com-link, it seems as if he turned it off. Did he even turn it on? I didn’t hear him at all during my jog with John.”

- “What are we talking about?”

- “WHA- Don’t do that, you scared me.”

- “Oh sorry. I have the snacks. Ready to go.”

- “I can’t contact Nio.”

- Oh… That’s weird. I would call but I left my phone at home. Teehee.”

- (Did he really just...? Never mind). “Then what do we do?”

- “I’m sure he’ll be here, lets's just find a seat, put your phone on vibration mode so that you can feel if he calls.”

- “Sure thing.”

{The two teenagers walk inside, as the shy beauty pays attention to everything the bald ball of sunshine tells her, while she seldom comments. The movie begins, and there was no sign of the midget shipper. But as time passed, they stopped worrying so much and enjoyed the movie. The movie ends and while the bald one was making a cheerful racked, the shy one was filled with tears of joy. They both contently exit the theater talking about the movie}.

- “The chase scenes were amazing, and when that giant bolt of lightning struck the truck, I was left speechless. Man, this movie was awesome”

- “The music was also great. It all fit so perfectly with each scene, even the ones where the artists sang, it didn’t affect the narrative flow at all.”

- “But we both have to agree on something…”

- “Yeah.”

{“When they were falling from the sky, that was the best part!”. They both say in unison as they laugh and prepare to jog home}.

- “I didn’t see Nio anywhere though. And there are no missed calls or texts. He wanted to see this movie so badly. I wonder if he is ok.”

- “I’m sure he’s fine Gita. Perhaps he arrived ‘photo finish’ and couldn’t sit with us. You did give him his ticket beforehand right?”

- “Yes.”

<BLIMP>

- “Is that your phone Gita?”

- “Yes… Its Nio… Ah… It says he got held up at his community service work, but that he got a refund and will see the movie later.”

- “Oh. That’s too bad. I wanted to hang out with him too. But I still enjoyed it with just you.”

- “Oh… (Blushing intensifies).

{At the police station, 20 minutes earlier}.

   I was way over my head. This was an EPIC FAIL. I at least hope nothing is going wrong with John and Gita’s hang, I can’t exactly check in on them now. For the last hour and a half, I’ve been sitting at this police station. They are processing my case and will call my parents soon. I’ll most likely lose my community traffic service job, and this will go on my permanent record. But this is no one’s fault but my own.

- “Toyohama Niokurinin?”

- “Yes. That’s me. I’m sorry, and I accept full responsibility.”

- “You are free to go.”

- “I under- WHAT?”

As if by plot armor I have been spared?! This can’t be, but why? Whatever it is, I won’t waste this second chance, I will try my best to not abuse my power for the sake of a ship. Remember kids to always abide by laws and regulations as long as they don’t harm you or others.

- “I AM SO GRATEFUL I’LL DO MY BEST FROM NOW ON!"

- “There is nothing to be grateful for. It was all just a misunderstanding.”

- “Hmm… Mind explaining?”

- “Your superior officer told you to barricade the street but didn’t bother to teach you how to barricade in a way that didn’t obstruct traffic. Plus, he sent you to the wrong street. You have a three-week suspension, but that was because you didn’t communicate to ask for help if you didn’t understand. Let this be a learning experience kid. Your parents won’t be called, and this won’t go on your record.”

- “I… Thank you…”

   I don’t get it. The only way this would make sense is if my superior stuck his neck out to save me, but that doesn’t sound like him, he’s more of the ‘WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!’ type. As I walk out of the station the sight before me, freezes me in place.

- “We should have a chat somewhere private… Bug.”

   KIKEN! WHAT’S SHE DOING HERE?! As I follow her, I notice she is wearing the same community service uniform as me. Did she steal it? It is a high possibility; I just hope the innocent one is still breathing. Or did she take a position in community service with my group? Impossible, I didn’t see her on the tryouts, and before being accepted there is a one-month training that occurs every 5 months and she wasn’t in it.

   As we reach a secluded alley, I begin to panic, just like at school, I can’t take her on here. The only place I can take her on, is home. I still take a stand when she begins taking out something from her pocket but what I see leaves me in confusion. She shows me a badge. The badge of the community service superior. She is my boss.

- “HOW?”

- “Everything is possible with money, but subhumans wouldn’t understand.”

- “Gah… What do you want? And why did you help me Kiken? You don’t even like me.”

- “First of all,… It’s future Mrs. Henry for you.”

This girl

- “That’s John’s middle name, not his last name though.”

- “Whatever. And HOW DARE YOU ADRESS MY BELOVED LIKE THAT. I should bury you alive.”

I gulp.

- “Why did you save me from my punishment if you hate me so much.”

- “This wasn’t for you, insignificant trash. THIS WAS ALL FOR MY BELOVED’S HAPPINESS ‘KYAAAH’.”

I cringe.

- “My beloved seems to enjoy playing with garbage such as yourself, and I’ll tolerate that for now. But let this serve as a warning to you. You saw a display of my power today. One call from me, and the cops knew what you were doing with the traffic, they weren’t even in the area before. Another call from me, and your superior was fired, and I placed on his post. I saved you today because you are still useful trash. You may have that disgusting creepy notebook and you might be helping my friends, but in the end, MY BELOVED IS MINE AND MINE ALONE AND NONE OF THEM, NOT EVEN YOU WILL TAKE HIM AWAY FROM ME”.

   Her sing-song voice is both captivating and sickening to my ears. The maniacal grin on her face has not stopped throughout our conversation except when she shows me a disgusted scowl.

- “Ah… Before I forget… Here.”

- “A movie ticket. Why?”

- “Because Chowa will be mad at me if she suspects that I was involved in you not getting to see the movie with them. So, if you know what’s good for you, you’ll leave me out of whatever excuse you come up with. I’ll be looking forward to what plans you’re brainstorming to get me and my future husband closer. Don’t make me come after you.”

   And with that, she leaves the alley so fast, as if she had just disappeared like she wasn’t even there. The tension of the moment makes me drop to my knees. Today I was saved by Kiken, but that was only a display of what she can do. I need to stay in the line of justice, I can’t give Kiken any more chances to display her power. I still plan to give her a chance with John, but I need to counteract that obsessive side, or John will be trapped in a living heck.

   For now, I’ll just text Gita. I think I have an enemy now. An enemy I have to help succeed?... Man…

Woah that was a lot for our shipper protagonist.
Next time, we’ll continue to see the shipper’s plans appear, but learn that not every girl on his list is a nice one.

6