CHAPTER 6: “The Shipper’s council.”
105 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If you think my life consists only of planning scenarios for my ships, then you would be really mistaken. Like any other high school first-year student, I have to study, take tests, etc. I also hang out with some of the few friends I have. For example, after the community service incident on Saturday, I decided to hang out with John. After I helped him with soccer practice by being the goalkeeper, something I greatly regret, we went to his house and spent 6 hours plus marathoning his favorite ‘shonen’ anime, while I focused on the potential ships between the characters. It was therapeutical.

   Today is Thursday, the day didn’t start so great since I had to apologize to John’s pentagon of love interests, but things flowed smoothly afterward. I had invited Gita to play my newest visual novel dating sim. You can imagine the look on her face, but after bribing her with its awesome soundtrack she agreed. Sure, it could count as training for her, since we were gonna focus on the shy girl route so Gita can see how the game’s heroine handless it, but it was going to be fun as well, at least I hoped so. We agreed to hang out at her home since her parents are home and it's better when adults are present to avoid misunderstandings. There wasn’t any teasing towards us, since her whole family knows she has a crush on John, and I sighed in relief.

   We intended for me to leave at 6 PM, but we kept getting the bad endings, I promise you shy girls are very complicated, not even Gita could figure it out. I ended up having dinner there, as her parents were kind to me. Midnight was rolling when we finally got the good ending.

- “HAH… We did it, Gita!”

- “Yeah… Remind me to never play a game with you on a school night.”

- “You can’t tell me you didn’t have fun.”

- “The OST was nice, but I can’t say visual novels are my thing.”

- “Well… Did you learn anything from Maka’s approach towards the MC?”

- “BARELY… The girl stuttered more than me! Even when she was confessed to, her low self-esteem kept getting in the way of accepting his feelings, even though she liked him. She is nothing like me!”

- “Haha… Guess you’re right…”

- “Tell me something, was this really for training.”

- “Sigh… No, it was more for fun. I’m sorry, it's just I don’t get to play these things with others much, since John like fighting games, and Ao-sen doesn’t even play videogames… that I know off at least.”

- “Fine… At least next time, be honest instead of using the excuse that it's for training. At least I learned what not to do.”

- “Well, I’m off.”

   As I begin to gather my things, Gita’s parents ask me if I’m going to be ok, since it’s so late. I tell them it's fine since I literally live next door. As I walk out and they close the door, I immediately regret my decisions.

   At the other side of the road, I see Kiken, and a chill runs down my spine. She just stares at me for what felt like an hour but was only 30 seconds. She doesn’t move an inch, but her lips curve upwards in a smirk. I run towards the apartment complex, and up the stairs, I enter my apartment and lock the door, not like it does any difference. As if by plot armor, the inside of my apartment looks like a two-floor house, and somehow it is still affordable.

   I keep my eyes stuck to the door, expecting to see if Kiken tries something so I can be even more prepared. I stay like that for an hour until I reason she had probably gone home, and so I go to my room, got ready, and fall asleep.

   It’s Friday, third period. Me and my class are completing today’s work, while the teacher is out discussing something with the principal. Just as the bell is about to ring, the rattle of the doors is heard, but the one who walked in is not our teacher.

- “IT’S MATTARI, CHIRU, THE COLD BEAUTY!”

- “The queen has descended upon us mere peasants.”

- “She’s not that pretty.”

- “I’m waaay prettier”

- “Only in your dreams Kitawara!”

- “She’s even cooler in person.”

- “The mystery…”

- “I wish I was a third-year…”

   My classroom was filled with the chatter of admiration, and jealousy. Some even started a debate on who was ‘best girl’, her or Kiken (if only they knew).

- “Niokurinin, please meet me during lunch break at the student council room.”

My classroom went even wilder, as Mattari just walked away.

- “Him?”

- “I bet he’s in trouble.”

- “I wish I was in trouble if she came to get me!”

- “Stop simping”.

- “He’s a weirdo…”

   I could only sigh. Most people in my class already knew of my hobby of watching rom-com anime and reading stories online from the same genre. Let it be known... I was judged, but it's not like I cared anyways, I was not going to change for them. And after all, it was me who was meeting Mattari, not them… Even if the reasons they thought were completely wrong… But they don’t need to know that… Hehe…

   Mattari, Chiru, the cold beauty. Long navy hair, stone expression, tallest in class. Class representative, apparently for the third year in a row. She was a person of few well thought words. Barely showed any emotion at all, was very focused on her studies, and highly authoritative. She sometimes acted as a second teacher. She fell in love with John back in her second year of high school. John had decided to manage Mattari’s campaign and be treasurer. Someone during the election debate addressed Mattari’s only mistake during her run back in her first year of high school. The way that guy said it was on a mocking matter, and the other classmates started to gossip or sinker amongst themselves. Whatever Mattari had done it was pretty embarrassing, but I don’t know the details. During the snickering, Mattari remained stoic, but John ran toward the debate stage and scolded his classmates, addressing all Mattari’s achievements. The class managed to shut up, and Mattari continued her speech. She ended up winning and began to see John in a new light, even if her stone-cold expression didn’t show it. After that day Mattari became the number one most wanted girl in all of Eagle High, the way she kept her cool at all times made her even more mysterious and desirable to others. She is number three on my ship tier list. She is kind and blunt when needed, but John needs someone that can express herself emotionally speaking, he is an overly nice guy but extremely dense like many protagonists. It is not impossible for her to reach her love with John, a little work on getting in touch with her feelings should be enough, that and some well convoluted anime scenarios created by “Moi”, so that she can get closer to John.

   Eventually, lunch break came and I found myself heading toward the student council room. Let it be known it was intimidating, the student council are some of the most powerful beings in 'anime universe', thankfully this was real life… Right?

   I opened the door and was greeted with the sight of Mattari seating at the far corner of a very long table reading a small book, it looked just like a CG of a horror visual novel I played a couple of months back. Not because she looked horrific, it’s just she had the same pose as one of the characters.

- “Thanks for coming Niokurinin, please seat.”

- “Please call me Nio. And why are we here? I thought you were class representative, not a student council member.”

- “In Eagle High, all class representatives are default members of the council.”

- “Oh… Cool.”

I decided to take out my sandwich, so I could eat while we talked.

- “Please refrain from eating in the council room.”

- “Oh… I’m sorry.”

   Why am I surprised that she lacks empathy toward this hungry soul? It's not that she doesn’t care, it's that she is a calm, collected, living rulebook.

- “Don’t worry, this will not take long. I assume you are wondering why I called you here, Niokurinin.”

   Saying that so much has to be a mouthful, but it doesn’t seem like she’ll be using my nickname anytime soon, oh well, at least she knows my name.

- “Yes, I am… I didn’t break any school rules, did I?”

- “Your pants have a small tear on your left knee, but I believe by your current reaction that it was not intentional. But that isn’t why I called you. I called you regarding John Henry.”

   I can’t help the grin that forms on my face as I hear that. I didn’t expect her to make a move this early, but after Panchikikku’s tryout, I believe she is becoming aware that her competition is making moves.

- “So… You want me to arrange something?”

- “What I ask of you is if you could notify him, that the council needs his assistance with some paperwork that requires budgeting.”

   She keeps her expressionless cool face, and my grin disappears as I analyze this situation. Contrary to Panchikikku, who I know what she means by her explosive denials, it’s very complicated for me to read the ‘kuudere’ type. I’m not sure if that is all she wants or if she wants my shipping help as I initially thought. I know she won’t tell me directly, so, I’ll test the waters and get my answer.

- “But if that’s all you needed, you could have asked him yourself, or had someone in your class ask him.”

   There is a pause, and I stare into her eyes, her face doesn’t change, but her eyes tilt ever so slightly.

- “I wanted to ask for your assistance at the council room as well.”

“No, you didn’t!” Is what I wanted to say while smirking, but I know what help she is indirectly asking for, and of course, I will. It takes a pro-rom-com anime enjoyer to be able to understand the meanings behind a ‘kuudere’s’ facade.

- “Sure thing. Is that for today during club hours?”

- “Indeed.”

- “Ok, I’ll let him know, and be there sharp.”

- “Your assistance is appreciated Niokurinin.”

- “Please call me Nio, hearing my full name said so often makes my head hurt.”

- “I apologize, I have not learned your last name.”

- “Please don’t bother and just call me Nio, everyone does.”

She didn’t say anything afterward, but I sure hope I got that point across.

   It was club hours, and I had managed to tell John that the student council needed him. He flinched when he heard that, he may have experience as treasurer, but even he fears the council, I was glad I wasn’t alone in that. As I walk, I realize there is another problem I must address. Like Gita’s movie theater idea, my presence there may cause Mattari to become the third wheel, sure the chances of that happening are lower than with Gita, since they will be working, and they communicate with each other pretty well. But John is still my best friend, and after so many years apart, we can’t stop chatting every chance we get. If this is going to work, I need to plan my exit strategy, just like I did Tuesday with Panchikikku’s boxing practice.

   I was telling John about the visual novel I played with Gita when the door to the council room appeared before us. We both simultaneously gulped, before chuckling lightly before coming in. When we came in, we were shocked, the sheer amount of paperwork piled on the super long table was perplexing. It’s as if Mattari had piled all the work for the last two weeks just to get a lot of time with John today. Of course, I knew that wasn’t the case, because she takes her ‘class rep.’ responsibilities more seriously than any silly crush.

- “Glad you could make it John, Niokurinin.”

- (Grumble).

- “Umm… Thank you for having us, Chiru.”

- “You are on a first-name basis?”

- “Yeah, Nio. Is there a problem?”

- “No. It's just I’ve been trying to get her to stop saying my full name all day.”

- “Sorry about that Nio, but at least she says your first name and not your last name.”

- “That’s ‘cause she doesn’t know it.”

- “Oh.”

- “Can we focus.”

- “Sure, thing Chiru.”

- “Ok now that you are both here, we’ll be budgeting the funds for this year’s culture festival, Christmas party, school trips, and school dance.”

- “ALL OF THAT TODAY!”

   I couldn’t help my flabbergastedness. So much work, that could be easily distributed throughout the year, when each activity's date is close by, was going to be completed today. But why?

- “At Eagle High, we pride ourselves on our punctuality and resourcefulness. For that planning ahead of time is the key. And having budgets ready is of great importance.”

    My jaw was almost on the floor as I slowly turned towards John, who had a nervous smile as he nodded, a huge anime-like sweat drop on his face as he felt the pressure of Mattari’s intensity. I can see why despite being the top girl in our school she seems to be unapproachable.

- “John, if you may please assist in budgeting each paper.”

- “Yes, ma’am.”

- “And me, what do I do?”

- “Please make sure to place each paper on the correct file, once John is done budgeting them.”

Ok then. Let the shipping begin.

Three hours had passed, and I hadn’t accomplished anything. AND IT WAS INFURIATING!

   We were all sitting at that ginormous table, sitting six feet apart from each other, without any conversation on their part, nor with me. John budgeted and passed the papers to Mattari, who checked them over, approved or corrected them, and then passed them to me so I filed them. I felt like dying. I came here for romance-inducing scenarios to form, not to play secretary.

   If we stayed like this nothing was going to happen and my plan to help would fail. I didn’t know how to deal with her type very much, so I was practically stumped on my planning. Or my brainstorms to help Mattari, wouldn’t work in this scenario. And I call myself a shipper.

   I was about to tear up in frustration, when I began to think about the horror visual novel, and how Mattari reminded me of one of the characters, due to some actions. I smirk began to form on my face.

- “I need a bathroom break.”

- “The council room has one. By the water fountain to the right.”

Of course, it does.

   As I found myself in the bathroom, which was somehow bigger than the public ones at school, I placed a com-link on my ear and began to tap it.

- “Mattari? It’s Nio. Do you read me?”

   From behind the door, I could spy on what was happening, I saw Mattari pick up the com-link I had hidden on one of the files and put it on her ear. As if by plot armor, the oblivious John didn’t notice or hear anything.

- “I read you Niokurinin. What do you need?”

- “Pull a ‘DokiDoki’ and get him some tea or something.”

- “Eating is not allowed in the council room.”

- “Tea isn’t food, it’s a drink. You can’t seriously be telling me that in a room where lots of things are debated, people aren’t allowed to stay hydrated.”

- “Ah… I guess you are correct. I did see the president with a sugary drink last meeting. We don’t have tea though.”

- “What do you have?”

- “We have a big assortment of juices on the council refrigerator.”

- (Mutter). “Of course, this room has a refrigerator.”

- “What was that?”

- “Get him some cherry juice. He likes that for some reason.”

- “Ok.”

Let’s see if this gets us somewhere. IF NOT, I PROMISE I’LL CAUSE A SCENE!

- “Would you like something to drink Henry.”

- “Yes, thank you. I’m almost finished with the Christmas party budget.”

HE IS STILL WORKING ON THOSE?!!!

   After a few minutes, I see Mattari returning from the refrigerator with a bottle of cherry juice in hand.

- “Ahh… Cherry juice… My favorite, how did you know.”

   I could see and feel John’s excitement. Suddenly my com-link began to buzz as I saw Mattari mutter while John obliviously drank.

- “What do I say?”

- “Tell him you had a feeling, he’ll be impressed.”

- “But that would be a lie. You were the one who told me.”

Sigh.

- “You’re right. Shrug it off or something. He’ll still be impressed.”

- “…”

I saw Mattari play it cool, and John was still impressed. After a few sips, he began to speak.

- “You know what I like about you Mattari?”

Mattari didn’t say anything and so John took this as a sign to continue speaking.

- “You are always so reliable. Always paying attention to your classmates, you pick up even on the slightest things.”

   He said that pointing to his juice. Sure, that was my idea, but that didn’t make what John was saying any less true. She is always aware of her surroundings, and always offers a helping hand, being able to quickly tell when something is off, or when a student or teacher is feeling slightly down. She may show no emotion, but it doesn’t mean she doesn’t have them, she just piles it down as part of her duties as the class representative, but the truth is she cares.

- “You are always on time, and always responsible. The class is very blessed to have you as our representative, whether they tell you or not. And I am very proud to have you as my friend.”

“CHAD”, is what many would call John, but even if he is oblivious to romantic feelings, he can tell nervousness quite easily. He was able to tell Mattari was nervous by having him working here with her for three hours, and that she didn’t know how to make it relaxing or enjoyable for him; heck, by the slight look he is giving towards the bathroom door, he probably knows the drinks were my idea, so he decided to break the tension. Sure, he thinks, it’s because Mattari believes giving him so much work would affect their friendship, but the fact is he fixed things in his very John way.

   After our break, we stayed there FOR TWO MORE HOURS. After that, we left the room and I was dead inside, practically dragging my feet through the pavement. Mattari gave a small expressionless nod in farewell to John and me as she began to walk away.

   Today was almost a bust. Compared to Gita, and Panchikikku, I practically failed Mattari. I need to watch more anime with ‘kuudere’ love interests. Ugh… that sounds painful, but I owe it to Mattari. As I begin to walk away, I’m stopped by an arm on my shoulder. I look back and see John grinning at me.

- “I know you were trying to help Mattari make work an enjoyable time. You noticed the council room made me nervous and tried to help Mattari put me at ease since this was her idea. Perhaps even be able to befriend her that way.”

   What he is saying is very convoluted, somewhat confusing, and wrong regarding my intentions, but I’ll let him continue.

- “And I thank you for that. But you don’t need to stress yourself in making complex plans in getting my friends to like you. It's only a matter of time before they notice how cool you are. And you don’t have to worry, a few hours of work won’t make me drift apart from my friends either, so it’s all good.”

I stare at him for what felt like the better part of a minute, with a blank expression on my face.

- “What’d I say?”

- “Nothing man, I’m just so tired right now.”

- “Ahh… Ha-ha. Sorry about that. Talk to you later.”

- “Yeah man. Fist bump?”

- “Fist bump.”

<WAPASH>

What just happened?...

Anyway…

Next time, can a shipper help ship his childhood friends together? Or will the separation due to distance make it harder?

3