CHAPTER 23: “A Real Hero, a True Friend, and a Shy Girl that took charge.”
55 2 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   I hate fire. Can I deal with it? Yes, I can, but only when I know it is controlled. When I was a kid, I accidentally burned down Ao-sen’s house. It was her birthday and I wanted to make her a surprise, so I asked her parents if I could come early to make her a birthday cake. She was and still is, my first friend, so I wanted to let her know how much she meant to me, especially since she was my only friend back then, I hadn’t met John yet.

 

   Ao-sen returned home, and I wasn’t done yet, the jig was up so there was no point in hiding what I was doing, so I just told her to wait a little bit. She was elated, I still remember that smile, I wanted to keep it there.

 

   Ao-sen had, and has, delusions of grandeur, or what some know as ‘chunibyo’, so she wanted to teach me how to tap into my warrior spark, Sen-Sen wasn’t a part of me yet. I could have said no… I could have told her to wait… I wasn’t the one with the delusions, for me it was just roleplay… But for years I had never been able to hang out and have fun with friends like this, and it was her birthday… Why not just have fun? I could do both. Watch the cake and play with her.

 

Oh, how wrong I was…

 

 

- “FINALYYYYYYYYYY!” (Entonating).

- “Yeah man, tests are over, vacation starts now!”

- “Yeah, that means Christmas is tomorrow.”

- “Oh yeah, you are right Nio! I had completely forgotten, my brain was so filled with the material for each test, that it just slipped my mind.”

- “Heh… Do you still remember what you put in those tests?”

- “Not a clue…”

 

Everything went quiet…

 

Then we both burst out laughing.

 

   It was December 24, our school was a mix of Japanese and American traditions, so we celebrated Christmas and stuff. The school had a non-mandatory Christmas party tonight, but when I asked John if he and the others were coming…

 

- “That so-called “party” is a monumental sleep fest. I would know, I came to my first two, so don’t even bother. Eagle High may support student decision-making, but they go all out military mode when it comes to the music we can listen to, and the snacks we can bring. The only moment school lets up on those, is during the Prom, so honestly, coming would be just boring. Hey Nio, are you all right… You look kinda tired…”

- “Oh, I see… Sorry man… (Yawn). I pulled an all-nighter studying… I’m exhausted when I get home, I’ll just hit the-”

- “Ah, that reminds me… Chowa is having a sleepover tonight…”

- “… (Grins).”

 

   Gita, Gita, Gita… You grow up so fast, I remember it was only a few months ago you couldn’t even invite John to a public place on your own, and now you are inviting him for a sleepover. I’m so proud, I know you are pure, so I have no worr-

 

- “Everyone’s invited too!” (Excited).

 

Never mind. Baby steps, I guess.

 

- “She said she wanted to have all her friends together for Christmas morning!”

- “That sounds like a great idea.” (Yawn).

 

 

   We were in our secret room (my homeroom classroom when it is empty), it feels like ages since I assembled the pentagon here to discuss shipping rules, address developments, and make plans. But this time, it wasn’t I who called the meeting, (it wasn’t the first time it was someone else, but those were few), and this time, we had an additional member in the reunion.

 

- “John Henry, reporting for duty. Woah, so this is where you hang out in secret. Never been here when it’s empty. So, what do you normally discuss here?”

- “That is not of your concern now John…” (Stoic voice, with slight tremble).

 

You’re gonna need a lot more work to hide that slight blush there Mattari.

 

- “Like I was saying…”

- “You hadn’t said… (Yawn). Anything yet, Mattari… It was John who spoke…”

- (Slightly annoyed). “Nio…”

- “Got it…”

 

   I can be quite annoying sometimes, especially when I’m friends with someone, so yeah, this might not be my last interruption… But I got to keep it balanced, I can’t risk her taking away her friendship offer…

 

- “As you know, our mutual friend Chowa decided to invite us to her home for a sleepover of her own volition.”

 

   Panchikikku was stretching, Mattari was addressing, Ao-sen was staring wide-eyed (as if she couldn’t believe it was her shy friend’s idea in the first place), Kiken was glaring, John was smiling, and I was yawning.

 

- (Crouching epically on top of the desk, as the wind blows on her coat). “It would seem there is more spark in you than the one I gave you credit for. What is the name of your inner warrior?!”

- “Eh…”

- “Can someone close the window; it’s giving her cinematic effect… Oh, thanks, John… Hey…. Why is her coat still moving with the wind?”

- “Ahem… As I was saying… As you all know it is not common to have mixed sleepovers like this. But Chowa insisted that she wanted to have all of her friends hang out. And even if everyone here is a decent human being…”

 

Kiken is debatable though…

 

- “We have to have some precautions; it will still be two boys and five girls. So, the first order of business… Chowa, your parents will be present, correct?”

- “Eh… Yes… Yes, they will be present, I had to ask permission."

- “Good. When the time comes to sleep, boys and girls will be in separate rooms, correct?”

- “Sleep! No, we’re gonna party all night won’t we Chowa?!”

- “Yeah, let’s do it Panchikky! We’re gonna be up all night, won’t we Chowa?!”

- “Umm…”

- “John, Tsuki, please control yourselves…”

- “Yes, there will be separate rooms… But I did plan for us to stay awake for a long time…” (On a soft tone).

- “So, let’s discuss arrival time, and who brings what. I guess Nio, doesn’t have to worry since-”

- “Hold up, I don’t th-”

- “Aunty, you’re still here!”

 

   I didn’t think I would ever see Mattari with a smug expression. She was, really relishing the fact that I was interrupted this time, but I couldn’t care less, because I got some tease material out of it.

 

- (Snicker)

 

   Both Nyo, and Mattari look at me with annoyed expressions, and a tinge of red on their cheeks.

   So, it seems that is why they were together that day when I went to that cooking college with Fasshon, to learn how to make rice balls. Mattari is Nyo’s niece. Oh, the hilarity.

 

- “Please wait outside, I’ll be there in a moment. We are having an important meeting.”

- “Okay, Mattari-sempai…”

- “PFFF”

 

   Their glare got more intense. I was, really digging a hole for myself. Nyo thought changing from Aunty to Mattari-sempai, would make it seem better. But let’s be fair, from the corner of my eye, I can see John trying to hold his laughter as well, and so is Panchikikku. I’m not the only one being a jerk at least.

 

Nyo exists the building.

 

- “Sorry Chiru… It was just very unexpected…”

- “That is quite alright John. But please refrain from laughing about it. We are both self-conscious about our familial connection when in school.”

 

   What’s this? Mattari, addressing her feelings without hiding them under a cool façade? In front of five others? She is growing so fast as well.

 

- “As I was saying, I don’t think I’ll be able to join you for the sleepover.”

- “Nio…” (Questioning low voice).

- “Why not?!” (Aggressive voice, that quickly calms down).

 

   Gita didn’t understand, Panchikikku, was confused, Mattari was analyzing, Ao-sen was glancing around the room, John looked disappointed, and Kiken had a little smirk… A smirk I did not return.

 

   Before coming to irrational conclusions… No, she is not blackmailing me. No this is not me scheming with her behind everyone’s backs. And no, this is not one of my plans to help her get close to John. The reason for her smirk and my displeasure are because of the same thing. She probably knows why I can’t join them. And my explanation will confirm it for her.

 

- “One of my security devices is damaged and I’m getting a replacement today. Plus, I’m super exhausted, I’ll just probably kill the mood…”

 

   I could see Gita tense up… Ah… That’s right, she knows Kiken breaks in from time to time.

 

“And why are we not calling the cops?”

 

“Don’t worry Gita, this has happened in the past, my security system is ready for her.”

 

“THIS HAS HAPPENED BEFORE?!”

 

   She Kiken broke in one day when Gita was hanging out at my apartment, she tried to get me to call the cops, but I refused. I still believe she can change. And she is changing, although very slowly. Now she doesn’t break in as much, and when she does, some are not even to get my shipping notebook, or to get me to make a plan, sometimes she does it just to have fun with me.

   Although, I don’t know if that is better or worse.

 

   Gita probably already deduced what happened.

 

   The full truth behind my all-nighter, was that the day before, Kiken had decided that striking during my study time, was the best moment to go for the notebook, which however resulted, on another failure for her, and a mess to clean for me. Turns out, I couldn’t study that day, causing me to have to pull an all-nighter the next. But not only that, she damaged one of my security devices beyond repair, so I had to order another one, I found it for a cheap price on this new website, so it’s fine I guess.

 

- “Can’t you just install it another day? Don’t you think your place will be secure without it just for a night? And you could just sleep, if need be, at Chowa’s place, while we have fun.”

 

Kiken’s level of commitment astounds me.

 

- “Umm… Maybe we should postpone it…”

- “NO!”

 

Everyone looks at me.

 

- “You put a lot of effort into this Gita. Tell you what, I’m going to head out now, the package is probably there waiting for me already. I’ll install it fast, have a quick nap, and do my best to be at the sleepover. Sound good?”

 

   Gita was concerned, Mattari was cool, Panchikikku seemed slightly more cheerful now, Ao-sen was… looking at Kiken… huh? Unexpected… John was delighted, and Kiken was… indecipherable…

 

Hah, you thought you could get me to leave the apartment unprotected, so you could tamper with the security while I was at the sleepover, right? Well, think again!

 

- “Well… I suppose…”

- “Great!”

 

I quickly leave the building.

 

 

   Just as I expected… The package is here. 

   Dangit Kiken, I can understand that avoiding some of my traps requires you to inabilitate them, but the way you severed my laser detection system is too much.

 

   Ok, gotta get to work. Instructions… Nope… I already know how to install this, it may come from a different website, but it is the same model as the one I had before. I gotta make sure I’m able to get to Gita’s sleepover, otherwise, she’ll worry too much to enjoy herself. I shouldn’t have mentioned my security system, if I had said I was just exhausted, she would have understood, she knows my boundaries.

 

 

   It's 5 PM, and I just received a text from John telling me that the sleepover will start at 8. That gives me three hours of sleep. I was rushing to install it, but I think I did an ok enough job. I did have to temporarily disable the sprinklers, but that was the only spot where I could properly place the devices, and they can’t get wet. I know it’s a risky move, but if I reconfigure the sprinklers to go around the device, it’ll be fine. I’ve done it before, but it will take too long, and I want to sleep. Leaving them like that for a while won’t cause me problems.

 

   So, I'll just go to sleep.

 

 

   The meeting time was getting closer. My mom had some basic snacks ready, and the others would bring more stuff to share. John told me he made sure Nio knew what to bring, and he texted me telling mi Nio said he had all he needed.

 

   Frankly, I don’t know if it was a good idea to put Nio on the spot like that. I didn’t mean to pressure him or anything, I just wanted all my friends here today, but I didn’t expect something to have happened to Nio’s security system.

 

   If I’m being honest, I’m still not certain I made the right call that day. Sure, Nio didn’t want me to call the police, for Utsukushi’s sake, but breaking into someone’s home… I should have done something right? Nio’s ‘Yandere Alert’ might be operational, but still, what effect are those constant break-ins having on Nio’s mind?

 

<DING DONG>

 

- “Comiiiing!”

 

<CHNK. CREAK>

 

- “Oh… Hey, John… It seems you are the first to arrive. And 10 minutes early at that.”

- “Yep, I couldn’t wait, but it seems I wasn’t the only one….”

 

   He points towards the street and I can see the other four walking toward us in their pajamas. Matter of fact, all of us are in our pajamas, well, minus Chiru.

 

- “Nio hasn’t come yet?”

- “No.”

- “Then how about we wake him up? Let’s meet the others and wait for Nio outside the apartment complex.”

- “Hmm”

 

   I nod. I can’t believe how happy I am to be able to do this with everyone, it’s like I’m not even myself.

 

   We make our way to everyone else.

 

- “Why are you here? Were you too excited to wait for us at your house so when you saw us you had to come meet us on the street?”

- “We’re going to wait for Nio outside the apartment compl-”

 

< “YANDERE, ALERT. YANDERE, ALERT.” >

<CLONK. CLONK. CLONK. CLONK.>

 

What?

   I immediately look at who is present in our group, when suddenly… I see that Kiken is with us, and she is looking at his apartment in confusion.

 

   I don’t get it. Isn’t the ‘Yandere Alert’ only supposed to activate when Kiken breaks in? Did someone else break in? Or is it activated by accident? Nio did say he was going to install something to his security system. Perhaps he triggered it by mistake?

 

- “Yandere? Isn’t that one of the tropes from Nio’s dark rom-com animes?”

 

John doesn’t know.

 

   Should we check out what’s going on? Wait, why are some of the other tenants walking out of the complex?

 

<BOOM!>

 

We went, quiet. 

Too quiet. 

   All of us just stood there, seeing the blown-up window from the region of the complex where I knew my best friend resided. Nio’s best friend might be John, but he is mine… And I didn’t know what to think or do...

 

Fire.

 

   Fire was coming out from that window. The other tenants were scared and getting farther away from the building. The rest seemed to be fine, but the fire was coming only from Nio’s apartment.

   Chiru was on the phone calling emergencies. Panchikikku could only stare. Kiken could only stare. John could only stare. I COULD ONLY STARE! And Miko…

 

- “P-Panchikky… Wh-What should we do? Why hasn’t Nio come out yet… Wait… MIKO! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! DON’T GO IN THERE!”

 

 

   I stood frozen. The day I burned my first friend’s house. Maybe saying I burned it down is an exaggeration. The house was still structurally sound afterward. But I certainly felt like I burned it down.

 

   I was frozen. I just wanted to celebrate her birthday. The flames were too big. Too big… The curtains caught on fire. The house didn’t have sprinklers, and the smoke detector was without a battery. I stood there and could only watch as the day that was meant to celebrate my friend, burned down because of me.

 

   I couldn’t do anything. But she… But Ao-sen… She came for me that day. She was in 6th grade, and there wasn’t much she could do, but she came. 

 

   We both knew what we were thought in school, about how to act in case of a fire. But I was frozen in place, contemplating my mistake, and how I possibly ended my first and only friendship that day. How I would cost them what they owned.

 

   Why did this happen? I just wanted to make her a birthday cake. Why did I think I could have it all?

 

But she was my hero that day?

 

   She didn’t think about the steps to proceed, all she did was come and hug me as I was crouching on the floor, contemplating my mess.

 

   She was taller than me, and two years older, she had this protective instinct on high. She hugged me, giving me all the comfort, I could get in that situation. But what I didn’t know is that she also became my shield that day. Being smaller I was covered in her embrace, and unless the flames came at me from the front, they would have to go through her to get to me.

 

   I wanted to scream. To tell her to run. But I couldn’t. I was stuck in my head. As she risked her life, her 6th grader life, on the day of her birthday, for me.

 

   She was whispering in my ear that everything would be ok. Telling me about how her warrior spark would protect me until I could generate my own. And I know that for a moment… I genuinely believed she was a warrior from her lore.

 

   A few minutes passed when her dad came for us. He was a large and strong man, he lifted her, while she held me, as if it were nothing. He passed through the flames, uncovered, and all I could see is that he was wet. He probably threw water on himself to be able to do this.

 

   We were out, and the fire department was already there. Thankfully the flames were confined to the kitchen. Only when I was out, did I react. I remembered I separated myself from Ao-sen in a burst of delayed reaction, only to see that we were out. I cried and apologized to them. Her parents only smiled and told me everything was ok, that it was just an accident. But I couldn’t stop. And then I saw Ao-sen. I saw her shirt. In the shoulder area.

 

It was slightly ripped…

 

Her skin was slightly red…

 

   I stopped in my tracks. Her parents knew what I was thinking, so they immediately told me that she didn’t get big burns and that they put out the flame fast enough to only cause slight skin irritation.

 

She smiled…

 

Never had I made a full prostration in apology before that day.

 

 

   I was running.

 

   Up the stairs of that building. Every other apartment was fine, but I needed to reach Nio’s, nothing else mattered at the moment. 

 

{Not even her ‘chunibyo’ was active at the moment}

 

   I had to get there. He had to be alright.

   No one dies… No one dies… He’s not dead. That explosion was far from him. He is still fine… But he needs me.

 

   I reach his apartment; he had told me which one it was. In one swoop, I knock the doorknob out, breaking it, and therefore the lock. But when I open the door, a zinc cover, like the ones in the stores when they are closed, stood in my way.

 

   I was stuck outside, and Nio was trapped inside…

 

He did this…

 

   He sealed himself off before the flames spread elsewhere.

 

Dam#it!

 

   What to do? For some reason, I decided to call John. And it was the best choice I could have done.

 

- (Through the phone). “John… Nio is sealed off, there is a zinc thing on my way!”

- (Through the phone). “Did you try the secret entrance?”

- (Through the phone). “Secret entrance?”

- (Through the phone). “He didn’t tell you about it?”

 

   John proceeds to guide me. And I finally get inside, only to see flames everywhere. This is more intense than the ones at my house that day. They had spread all through the complex. I put my cloak around my head, covering my nose and my mouth, and decide to walk close to the ground, doing the best I could, to dodge the flames.

 

   Since I have taken some martial arts, I have more reflexes than the ones I had back then, so I can react to the flames faster, and make my way to the living room, where I find Nio…

 

Standing up…

 

Frozen…

 

   He wasn’t even crouching, like the day of my birthday. He just stood there, taking on the smoke. The trauma of what happened all those years ago held him in place. He was staring at the Zinc thing and holding a remote in hand. Presumably, the one he used to seal the flames inside.

 

- “NIO!”

- “…”

- “NIO!”

- “…”

- “NI- (cough)… NIO!”

- (Cough, cough, cough, cough).

 

   This is bad, he’s been taking all this smoke without realizing it.

 

   He wasn’t reacting, but I couldn’t make my way to him, not this time. Huge flames that I couldn’t dodge or avoid. They stood in my way. I had to get them to react… And that is when it hit me. His warrior spark… He has one now.

 

{Her ‘chunibyo’ kicked in because it was the way to get him to react}.

 

- “SEN-SEN!!!!”

 

 

Through the fog of my head, I hear an echo.

 

- “SEN-SEN!!!!”

 

   I look at the source and see Ao-sen. Huge flames were in front of her.

 

I just feel like crying. Why did she come for me again?!

 

- “Prove it to me!... Prove you are no longer the helpless little boy you once were. You know who you are. You have a warrior spark now. It was awakened. USE IT! (Cough, cough). This is not how you go down. You will go down when I expel you from Nio’s body!”

 

She is getting me to roleplay…

   I’ve been doing this with her for so long, that it became second nature. The moment I heard the word Sen-Sen, I snapped out of my stupor.

 

- (Cough). “Ao-Senshi! You a- (Cough). Are correct… I will defeat you before my demise!”

 

I move to do what I was doing before the explosion froze me in place.

 

   All I have to do is reactivate the sprinklers. Rerouting them like I initially wanted would take hours, but getting them to turn on again won't.

 

Dang… It’s getting harder to breathe…

 

How long was I taking in the smoke? I never once covered now did I…

 

<BEEP>

 

- (Cough, cough, cough, cough. GASP).

 

<THUD>

 

The sprinklers are active… Good…

 

- “NIO!!!!”

 

 

Oh no…

Oh no. Oh no. Nononono…

 

   Nio fell to the floor, and I still can’t reach him. The sprinklers are dealing with the flames but they are still too big.

 

I am forced to wait… Forced to remember…

 

 

   I saw my grandpa die when I was young. He was at the hospital, and I was visiting. I was powerless to stop it. It was before Ao-Senshi resided in me. He died in front of me, and I cried and cried, I never wanted it to happen again. I never wanted anyone else to die in front of me when I was powerless to stop it. So, when my grandma died, back when I was in 6th grade, I was broken. A mess of nerves, denial, and panic. My parents were devastated, but they couldn’t be with me at the moment, as they were discussing things with the doctor. I was there, panicking, and alone.

 

   Or so I thought.

 

   Nio was there. He had been visiting the moment the hospital called, notifying us that my grandma was there. His parents couldn’t pick him up yet, so he came with us… He stayed there for me. He hugged me, the best way he could. He still didn’t have a warrior spark back then, but he did his best to comfort me. The nerves, denial, and panic left me for a moment, and I was left with loud crying. He stood there hugging me the best he could. 

 

   I still don’t want anyone else to die when I can’t stop it…

 

 

   He isn’t breathing.

 

   We were outside of his apartment, the fire quieted enough for me to be able to reach him and carry him out. The firefighters were taking care of the rest. But I didn’t care.

 

- “Nio… Come on… Wake up! Wake up dangit! NIO!... No that’s right… SEN-SEN!” (Crying).

- “…”

- “STOP PLAYING. I’M THE ONE WHO HAS TO TAKE YOU DOWN REMEMBER!... SEN-SEN!” (crying).

- “Miko…”

- “YOU CAN’T DIE! I WON’T LET YOU…”

 

 

   No way this was happening. My best friend. John’s best friend… Miko’s childhood friend. The one who helped us all. Giving us chances to get closer to the boy we liked, helping us have opportunities to win his heart.

 

This is not happening.

 

I don’t accept it.

 

I can’t be shy about it now.

 

   I make my way to a sobbing Miko. I don’t know the history, she and Nio share, but I do know this isn’t over until it's over. She is in a state of panic now, but there are steps to take.

   AND WHERE THE HECK ARE THE AMBULANCES?!

 

   Slowly, I release Nio from Miko’s grasp, she is under too much stress to act in any way, other than speak to him, cry, or panic. While she does this, I check for vitals. In times like this, I’ve always been able to react. And now more than ever... As I refuse to let Nio die.

- “He has a weak pulse, but he isn’t breathing. Ok, Nio, just listen to Miko’s voice.”

 
   I give him breaths. This is awkward, but no one else seems to be reacting, and the dang ambulance is not here for some reason, so I give mouth to mouth without compression, since he still has a pulse. It only takes a few when…
 

- (Gasp. Intense breathing).

- “NIO!”

- “Nio”

- “Nio!”

- “Nio.”

- “Midget!”

- “Nio.”
 


 

What happened to me? 

   I see Ao-sen, hugging me from the side, Panchikikku, Mattari, John, and Kiken standing around me. While Gita’s face is very close.
 

- “Ao-sen… What happened?”
 

She just cries.
 
Mattari approaches and begins to ask questions.

 
- “Do you know who you are, where you are, and what happened?”

- “I’m Toyohama, Niokurunin, I like to be called Nio. I’m outside of my apartment complex, and there was a fire… FIRE!”
 

I jolt to stand but I’m held in place by Ao-sen.

 
- “You weren’t breathing.”

 
I wasn’t…

Ao-sen tenses her grip.
 
Oh, that explains Gita… Oh…

 
I glance at John, and Gita follows my gaze.
 

   John looks slightly confused but blushing at the same time. Gita and I look at each other, and we nod at each other. We fist bump at each other, just as we spit at the ground in opposite directions.

 
John laughs.

 
   Gita and I just look at each other and smile, much to the confusion of those present. 
 
   What can I say, I’m a shipper through and through. Can’t give John the wrong idea, even if Gita was trying to save my life.
 

- “Thanks Ao-sen, for saving my life again, by looking for me… And making me snap back into reality.”

 
She just nods. Despite being taller than me, she just buries her head in my side.
 

- “Thank’s Gita… For helping me breathe… You took charge… That’s cool… And unexpected.”
 

As expected, Shy Gita returns with a vengeance.
 
I see the firefighters fall back, I assume the situation is once again under control.

 
<WEEOOH WEEOOH>
 

The ambulance and the police.
 
- “Who called?”

- “That would be me.”

 
   Mattari, an unsung hero. She might not have acted directly, but she did act accordingly.
 

- “Thanks, Mattari.”

- “No problem, Nio. What’s important is that you are well.”

 
   In the next moments, I am taken inside the Ambulance, but since I am awake, and not physically hurt, I’m just getting checked up. As is Ao-sen, and the other tenants. And only regret fills me as I know this was my fault.
 
   An officer approached me. This could go wrong very fast.
 

- “Mr. Toyohama, I am officer Suzuki. I am here to ask some questions.”

- “Yes.”

- “The fire started in your apartment, correct?”

- “Yes.”

- “Then you sealed off the apartment to stop the flames from spreading elsewhere, according to what your friends say?”

- “Yes.”

- “Was that the only reason?”

- “Yes.”

- “When we entered the premises, we saw that the apartment had sprinklers. Did they malfunction or something?”

- “No sir…”

- “Then what happened?”

- “I deactivated them…”
 

He starts taking notes. Breathe in and breathe out.

 
- “And why may I ask was that?”

- “I was installing a new security system. A laser detection system. Sadly, the place where I bought it, only had one that couldn’t get wet. I intended to reroute the direction of the sprinklers to avoid the system from getting wet just in case. But I intended to reroute them tomorrow.”

- “You do realize you could be charged with arson? Considering you turned off the sprinklers.”

- “…”

- “Was the fire started on purpose?”

- “No sir.”

- “Considering your answers, my next question may come "out of left field", but it is important… Did you try to kill yourself?”

 
   Everything went quiet, and my friends looked in our direction. I didn’t hesitate, with no doubt in my mind about my answer.
 

- “No sir.”

- “My apologies for the question. But considering you turned off the sprinklers, a fire started, and you sealed yourself off, I had to ask.”

- “I understand sir.”

- “You realize this apartment is not designed for the level of security systems you have in it correct? No matter how big it is.”

- “Yes.”

- “Why? Do you feel unsafe?”

- “…”

- “Did something happen?”

- “…”

 
   Crud. I can’t lie to the police. It would make me an accomplice of Kiken. But I don’t want to throw her under the bus for all her break-ins. Not after all her progress, not because of something is only done to me…

 
- “I feel unsafe. But there is no evidence about what happened-”

- “There was a break-in!”
 

   I turn to my side in shock. I see Gita clenching her fists, but it wasn’t her who spoke.
 
   Ao-sen was getting checked. John was calling someone. Mattari was addressing the other tenants. Panchikikku was with her. Gita was looking shocked. And Kiken was… CONFESSING?!
 
   I did a double take on Kiken as she approached. She smiled at me. An eerie smile but mixed with a slightly concerned one. What’s going on?
 
   He showed the officer a video. I was seeing it alongside him, and I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.
 
   The view was from an angle in which I don’t have cameras. Which means she placed it there. It was a video of the day in which she broke in through my bedroom window. It was a real moment. But she wasn’t confessing. No. She was getting the cops off her trail.
 
   The angle prevented any features indicating it was her, from being seen. She looked like a silhouette getting inside my home.

 
- “My name is Kiken, Utsukushi. You might know my parents. I am her senior at Eagle High. I am also the leader in his community service work. He told me that someone broke into his apartment, but that he had no proof, and didn’t know what to do, as there was no evidence. So, I told him to plant this camera, so that he could see and have evidence to go to the police.”

- “And why didn’t you come to us with this?”

 
   I didn’t know how to respond. This was Kiken’s lie, and I was too stunned to contradict it.
 
- “As you can see, the video shows no clear details. He told me he didn’t think he could take it to the police since it showed no clear features. He thought it wasn’t clear evidence. And frankly, neither did I, so I told him to put more security. It seems he went a little overboard.” (Sweet voice).

- “A-Ah… I see. Well to inform both of you. This may not be enough to identify a perpetrator, but it is enough to buff up the security and patrols in these parts. O it is evidence enough.”

 
   What I just witnessed I cannot believe. Kiken just boloneyed, me and herself out of this predicament. She is smiling at me, a mixture of eeriness, and genuine concern. Did she do this because she wanted to spare me problems with the cops because I’m helping her and keeping her secret? Or is she doing this only to show her power to me once more, just like when I made that traffic mess by abusing my power?
 
   Not even five minutes after the officer left and I was on my feet when I receive an email from my landlord. A very detailed fee, signed by a lawyer. I had to pay for all the damages my actions caused. Even if sealed off, my area of the apartment is currently unstable, and since the alterations made to my apartment, were not authorized by him, or covered by insurance. I had to pay. And I was doomed.
 
   It seems this was the end of my journey with my friends. I had nowhere to live. I'd have no way to pay. I’d probably have to move back with my parents and leave Eagle High. I could blame no one, but myself for this. But…
 

- “Hey… That’s my phone, give it back John.”

- “You need to be this high, to take it back.” (Smirks).

- “John, I’m not in the moo-”

- “That butthole... He doesn’t even come to check on the tenants to see if they are ok. But he manages to do this.”

- “Look. It’s my fault John. I’ll deal with it. Ok.” (Sad).
 

<BLIN>
 

- “Oh, check that. You have a new e-mail.”

- (Grumble) “…”

 
Why?

Why?
 

- “How… Why…. Why would you?”

- “What kind of friend would I be if I didn’t.”

- “But the price. You can’t have so much money?”

- “I don’t, but my college funds do?”
- “YOU SACRI-”

- “Those were wasted on me anyways. I didn’t plan to go to fancy colleges. You of all people know I want a simple office job. And you know very well my grades are enough to get me scholarships for those. My parents thought I’d want fancy collages, so they were saving since I was a baby. When I told them about my dream, they just told me to use the money wisely then, so I just held it for a moment like this. And I’m still not broke, so don’t worry.”

 
   I cried.

   I cried and hugged him for dear life. Today was a day I got saved by three friends. That, in their own way, stuck their necks out for me. Four, if I count Mattari’s call to emergencies, and five if I count whatever Kiken did. But Ao-sen, Gita, and John saved me today.

 
- “I told my parents. If you want, you can stay with me until your place is fixed. You’ll have to do all your chores though. (Smirk). And mine too… Hehe...”

- “Ha-ha… (Sniffles). Sure thing. Thanks. I'll pay you back, someday and somehow.”

- “So… Are we still down for the sleepover?”

 
Everyone looked at Panchikikku…

 
- “What?”

 
I burst out laughing and everyone follows.
 


 

{3 AM. On dump. A cyan-haired beauty holds a bunch of hard drives, SD cards, and cameras. She is seen snapping the SD cards, trashing the cameras, and drilling holes through the hard drives. After she is done, she scatters them with the rest of the trash in the dump. She smiles creepily, shadows covering her eyes, as she stands over a mount of scrap, the wind blowing her hair and her dress, the only shine on her face, her pristine white smile}.

 
- “Time to go back to the sleepover. Guess no one was able to remain awake. This was certainly not what I wanted. But it was convenient in the end…Ha-ha. Ha-ha… HAHAHAHAHAHA… Don’t think that because you’ll live with my Johnny... That you can steal him. He is mine!”

 

 
   Are you sure she is changing Nio? Cause it seems to me she is getting worse.

   Anyway… Next time. New Year’s Eve is finally here, so how about a little party? What a perfect moment for some romance… Wait… Nio, Sanagi… What are you doing? Wait…
 
Find out next on “Protagonist is a Shipper” part 2.

0