Chapter 33: “Singularity part 1 (Rising action: Triple-booked)”
12 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

TWO MONTHS AGO

 

- “No way, boss, for real?”

 

- “Yes Nio. I heard that the premiere of ‘Shinjitsu no koi’ was going to be celebrated here in Okinawa, in two months… And you know on what day? Look at the calendar man, I marked it!” (Excited).

 

- “No way! (Looking at calendar). This has to be by plot armor. Not only is ‘Shinjitsu no koi’ one of the most ambitious rom-com projects ever, releasing the first light novel, first manga, and first movie, on the same day worldwide… But will now make a convention-style celebration for its premier… ON MY BIRTHDAY!”

 

- “Yeah man… So… What are you going to do… Oh… You are already on your phone…”

 

- (Intense). “No matter what… I WILL GET TICKETS FOR THAT CONVENTION.”

 

 

 

No matter what…

 

Present Day

 

- “Ok… It has been a while since we’ve gathered in this room… But much has happened since our last meeting, and it is time to discuss the future…”

 

- “Can you stop with the long a$$ speeches and get on with the topic midget?... Please…” (Trying to control anger).

 

- “Yeah, sorry Panchikikku… What I wanted to discuss is the fact that time is running out. We are close to the end of March, your finals are coming up, and so is the school dance… As cliché as it sounds… And after that your graduation. A lot has happened since the start. Ao-sen, willingly left the competition for John’s heart, while Chiru had to… You know… But we are all still friends. Panchikikku has already confessed, and all that remains is for Gita and Kiken to do so. No pressure, but time is of the essence. I am willing to help all three. I just wanted to recap and let you know, because even if not all will end up with him, or maybe none will, I do not want you to leave Eagle High with any regrets…”

 

 

    The end was near, and my days of being able to ship this group were coming to a close. But not only that, my days to hang out with them, are also coming to a close, and even if we remain friends, they’ll be making their own lives. Some will go to college, while others follow their, own paths. And I won’t get to see them as much. I want to enjoy as much time with them as I possibly can, whether it is on shipping schemes or simple hangouts… I don’t want regrets either.

 

- “Anyways, enough doom and gloom. I just wanted to let you know… Oh before I forget… Take these!”

 

- “Tickets? What for Nio?”

 

- “An excellent question Miss Gita, they are tickets for a special convention for the most ambitious, MOST BIGGEST, ANIME ROM COM PROJECT OF THIS CENTURY, THE PREMIER OF ‘SHINJITSU NO KOI’!”

 

- “Dear warrior, I do not believe that ‘most biggest’ is grammatically correct!”

 

- “I know Ao-sen, I just wanted to sound epic.”

 

- (Snort). “It just sounded silly though…”

 

- “Ok, Ok I get it Chiru… Anyways, I bought a bunch of them two months ago, I think I wanted to invite you all… I don’t remember why though. You don’t have to go, but feel free to have fun with them.”

 

 

   After making my statement I rise from my chair and begin to make my way out of the classroom, with Ao-sen right behind me.

 

- “Wait Nio, Miko; you already called us here to discuss the future, won't you at least finish lunch with us before our afternoon classes begin?”

 

- “Oh, didn’t I tell you earlier… Today I move back into my apartment, so I won’t be here for the afternoon.”

 

 

 

   After a hug of joy from my second best friend, Ao-sen and I made our way to John’s house. We had both gotten excused since she was going to help me with the move, and we had to be ready to receive the new stuff for my apartment room.

 

   Ever since the accident, I have been taking extra shifts on my job, so whenever I’m not busy with school, with friends, or with shipping; I’m at work. I almost cut all other activities, as I needed the money to replace my old stuff.

 

   I couldn’t be more grateful to John either, thanks to his willingness to give a roof over my head and provide food, water, and electricity, as well as cover the damages. I was able to save enough money to get the basic things I would need for the room. A tatami mat, a mattress, a study desk, a lamp, clothes, underwear, and a laptop with a charger included. It wouldn’t have been this complicated to pay for these replacements if I had bothered to put warranties on them, I mean this accident only happened in less than 1 year since I got them… 

 

   But the most ironic thing about that is not the lack of foresight on my part regarding those… BUT THE FACT THAT I OKACED WARRANTIES ON ALL MY SECURITY SYSTEMS AND TRAPS… Which will also be delivered today… The things I don’t think I will need again, are the ones I ended up placing warranties on.

 

- “The commander should be here any second, yes?”

 

- “Yep, John said, He just had to be for the first period of his afternoon classes to take a quiz he misses while sick last week.”

 

- “Yes, the commander’s ailment was quite severe, but even without his warrior spark, the commander is strong.”

 

- “Speaking of warrior sparks, have you finished the sketch for the new issue of your manga?”

 

- “Yes, I’m about to reach the part of my first encounter with you… My most powerful enemy, SEN-SEN!”

 

- “It is you… Are we to engage in combat at this hour…”

 

- “Ups… My bad, I did not wish to summon you, your host is busy moving, another time though… SEN-SEN!”

 

- “Oh… I’m back…”

 

 

   Ao-sen and I kept chatting as we carried my stuff from John’s place to my apartment room, and once we arrived, we were in shock that the company delivering my security stuff was already present, and John was there helping out, guess he finished his quiz early.

 

   After some banter and laughs, we managed to prepare my room, and place my security system, which I decided I would not activate. My landlord was there, to warn me to never deactivate the sprinklers, or any of the room’s established systems, which are required by law, and after that, both my friends left, and I decided to catch up on my assignments for the afternoon classes.

 

   The day was going great so far… Until it wasn’t.

 

 

<DING DONG>

 

- “COMIIIIING!”

 

   As I open the door, I am welcomed by the person I least expected to be my first visitor... Even less to use the doorbell…

 

   Kiken, Utsukushi. The Yandere who used to break into this apartment constantly, but who I recently properly befriended.

 

- “Kiken, what’s up? Is there something I can help you with?”

 

- “Actually yes. Yes, you can.”

 

- “Sure thing, come on in, make yourself at home.’

 

- “This is sooo weird…”

 

- “What do you mean?”

 

- “Coming through the door I mean…”

 

- “HAHAHA… True that? So, what brings you here?”

 

- “I came to ask you to come up with a strategy so that my beloved and I can be together at the convention for that movie you were talking about!” (Dismissive).

 

- “Its name is ‘Shinjitsu no koi’ and it’s not just about a movie… It’s-”

 

- “Yeah that… So, can you?”

 

- (Sigh). “Yeah sure, I’ll come up with a plan, for you…”

 

- “Thanks, bye…”

 

 

    That’s it?

 

   Well, she is leaving, time to get back to-

 

<DING DONG>

 

Or not… Time to open the door I guess., perhaps Kiken wanted something else…

 

- “Ok, who is it? Oh… Panchikikku, this is odd… You normally don’t visit, except… Oh… Do you need help with something John-related?”

 

- “Actually yeah, but first I wanted to make sure if you still needed help with something. I Texted John and he said something about you still having your security system. (Slight worry). You are not planning on installing it, are you? I MEAN… (Concern hidden with superiority). Only a total IDIOT, would do something like that after what happened… (Sigh)… Just be careful…ok…”

 

- “Ha Ha… Don’t worry, I didn’t plan on installing it. Well, installing it, yes... Activating it, no… After all, there are so many boxes, I won’t have any space if I don’t install them… It’s a temporary solution until I can perhaps sell them online, to pay John back or something… Plus, in the odd chance I were to need it, I can just voice activate it, and the lockdown system will work as long as it is placed.”

 

- “Oh, that’s a relief… NOT THAT I WAS VERY WORRIED, JUST MILDLY CONCERNED… Oh, who am I kidding.”

 

- “HAHAHAHAHA!”

 

 

   After a hilarious interaction, both of us decided to get to the point… And oh boy…

 

- “So you want me to create a plan for you to hang out with John at the convention.”

- “Yes. What you said got me thinking. Time is running out, and I don’t want to have regrets when I graduate. I already confessed, and his response to me is still pending, but whether it’s yes or no, I want to spend as much time with him as possible. He has always been there for me, even when talking to my parents about my dream…”

 

- “Ah yeah… I had forgotten you had done that…”

 

- “How do you know that?” (Serious tone).

 

- “Ah… AHAHAHAHA… (Awkward laugh).

 

- “I know you want to make sure our interactions go ok, but if I find out you were following me again without consent, I will bonk you in the head, midget!” (Pacified anger).

 

 

   At least she thinks that. If she found out I was following Kiken in her stalking, I would get more than a bonk.

 

- “Ok… But are you sure that’s what you want?”

 

- “Yes… Is there a problem?”

 

- “Well… Ok… I’ll see what I can do… But expect a call, because there might be something I need to discuss before planning starts.”

 

- “Sure, thing Nio, and thanks… Don’t burn the place down on my way out…”

 

- “You won‘t let me live it down, will you?”

 

- “Nope!” (Cocky smile).

 

 

   Crud… Two people want plans for the same day… Ok, time to take a trip through memory lane, to see if there is anything in my list of rules against this-

 

<DING DONG>

 

FOR THE LOVE OF-

 

- “I’m coming, I’m coming… Oh… Gita, what’s up?”

 

- “Oh… I just wanted to see if I could hang out here… you know… Since it’s your first day in your remodeled apartment room… I brought snacks and a new playlist from the group that is going to make the OST for ‘Shinjitsu no Koi’. It may not be my favorite group, but there are some songs in the playlist I quite enjoy.”

 

- “SQUEEEE… Ahem... Ok Sure… I suppose I can make time to hang.” (Smiles).

 

 

   And so, we hanged. For the moment I completely forgot the dilemma of the possible two timing?... Anyways, we benched the whole playlist, then had a meaningless argument over it, I mean, HOW CAN GITA SAY THERE ARE BARELY THREE GOOD SONGS IN THAT PLAYLIST, AND THAT ONLY ONE IS FROM THE MOVIE THAT IS GOING TO PREMIER? THERE ARE AT LEAST 10 GOOD SONGS, AT LEAST… AND 8 ARE FROM THE MOVIE… Except for the one they plan to have on the credits, that one is just lame…

 

   After that we decided to have a challenge: ‘How long can you listen to music that is outside of your preferred genre?’… I lost, if it’s not anime or the one-in-a-million American cartoon good intro, I don’t want it. Then we watched a movie while emptying the snacks and suddenly it was 11 PM. I don’t know how, since five minutes ago it was 8 PM.

 

   And so, Gita decided to practice her guitar in front of me, before I started noticing some nervousness…

 

- “Hey, what’s up? You seem kinda nervous… Like you want to ask something, but are not sure if it’s the right moment to do so… You know you can down it on me…”

 

- “I don’t know, but we’re having so much fun, I think it can wait ‘till later, maybe tomorrow.”

 

- (Smirks). “It’s about John isn’t it…”

 

 

   The blush tells.

 

- “Oh, come on, don’t be embarrassed. What does the girl that forms half of my OTP want to ask of me?... Are you finally ready to show him your song? Do you want me to make a flawless plan for that to happen?” (Smirks wider).

 

- “Um yeah… Maybe… The ‘Shinjitsu no Koi’ convention…”

 

 

<CRASH>

 

- “Nio… What was that?”

 

- “Probably a cat tumbling a flowerpot… Either that or a sound for comedic timing… But you said ‘Shinjitsu no Koi’… Are you sure?”

 

- “Wait… Did you give us those in hope that we would hang out together? If that’s the case, it can wait… I know this convention is something you would love to enjoy-”

 

- “No, Gita… Calm down… I gave you guys those, in case any of you wanted to use them, not to force you into hanging out with me, but before I answer you… I got to think back…”

 

 

   Ok, Nio… Think… What were the rules you established for the shipping?...

 

1. I was not to let anyone read what I wrote in my planning notebook.

2. I was not to tell what the girl’s plans were to anyone.

3. I was not to purposely double-book John with anyone.

4. Each girl had to apport something to the plan because I was not going to do all the work.

5. They would not force John to do anything against his will.

6. The girls have to come to me so that I can help them, not the other way around.

 

   Ok, so rules two and three somewhat clash in this scenario. I mean, it is not purposely double… Triple booking since it was not my idea to pick that day… Right? Yeah… No… That sounds super mean… I think I have to break rule two to prevent a disaster from happening. Time to make a video group call.

 

{Video call in progress}

 

- “Why are we calling them at this hour?”

 

- “It is very important.”

 

<BLIN>

<BLIN>

 

- “Nio?”

 

- “Midget?”

 

- “Do you know what time it is?”

 

- “Well at least you told me you were going to call. But I expected it earlier, or tomorrow? And why is Chowa there?”

 

- (Sigh)… "I will have to break the second rule of the shipping game, but to avoid the chaos that could come from ignoring rule three, I will take that chance… All three of you, one after the other, wanted me to make a plan for you to hang out with John… On the same day, at the same convention…”

 

- “…”

 

- “…”

 

- “…”

 

- “What…” (Dangerous growl).

 

- “WHAT?” (Outburst).

 

- “Oh…” (Shy reaction).

 

- “This rule states that I cannot purposely double schedule, and even if what happened this time was not my plan… I feel it would be wrong to knowingly let the chaos unfold… The reason I did not outright say no, was because you might ask why, and I could lie, probably failing miserably at it, or risk rule two, which is now out…”

 

- “Umm… I believe that the first girl to ask you should be the one for whom the plan is made.”

 

- “I agree with Gita, it would be fair, after all, Kiken did ask me first…"

 

- “Yeah… I guess that is right… I recently hanged with John anyway…”

 

- “Tsk…”

 

- “…”

 

- “!”

 

- “Something you want to say Utsukushi?”

 

- “Oh, oh…”

 

- “You know… I believe this has gone on long enough… Nio has a point… We are running out of time… It’s time to find out who John wants to hang out with the most! So why don’t we all go with him, then see who he decides to spend most of the time with?”

 

- “Kiken… That is exactly what I wanted to avoid with this… It’ll be a mess…”

 

- “What? You are doubting he’ll want to hang out with me more?”

 

- “What? No… I didn’t say that?”

 

 

 “I like to believe my development would keep me in check if that were to happen. That I would be able to accept it. You have always been clear with all of us that it has always been a possibility. I would like to believe I would be happy for him. If you ask me now, I would say I would be happy, I love him too much to be more concerned for me than him, but I know me. It just takes the necessary amount of frustration, and desperation, for me to be truly unleashed…”

“If I snap… Please… Don’t let John get hurt. And please… Bring me back…”

 

   That comment, innocent as it may have been… Triggered her. Panchikikku doesn’t know Kiken knows that her interaction with John ruined her mood to get smoothies with John… I need to get her in check… I can text her… Get her to see reason… Maybe?

 

- “Look Kiken, all I’m saying is, you are all friends. There is no reason to actively compete with each other. Not to brag, but I’m confident I can come up with 3 excellent plans on different days, even if not all take place at the convention.”

 

- “You don’t trust me?”

 

- “I do trust you… But you know what you told me…”

 

- “I know, but I’m fine… I believe it is time to find out… We all know this is a competition for John’s heart, and the final choice is his, whether he ends with one of us or none… If we are true friends… There is nothing to worry about…”

 

- “…”

 

- “…”

 

- “…”

 

- “…”

 

- “Ok… Let's do it then… If that is truly what you want, I’m game. But I won't hold anything back Utsukushi. We’ve been competing for John behind his back or without his knowledge long enough, not knowing how he interacts with the others we are competing with. If anything, this way we can actively see, who he wishes to spend time with the most, and how close to them he is… But we can’t force John, I can’t get violent if he chooses to spend more time with another.”

 

- “Gita… You do not have to agree if you don’t want to… I can make you a plan just as good on another day, with all respect I don’t want your kindness, which I believe to be your biggest strength, to become your foil… I don’t want you to expose yourself to actively facing, against your friends for him… He is too oblivious to know what he’ll be coming to-”

 

- “I love John… I, really do… And I love my friends… if he were aware of what is happening, and actively allowing it… I would back away… But that is not the case. It is time to know… And it is not that we will actively sabotage each other… Right?”

 

- “Of course, not Chowa…”

 

- “Yeah… We wouldn’t do that… We’ll just invite him to different activities… Plus, we’ll have Nio on our ear to make sure we stay in line. Right Midget?”

 

- (Sigh)… “Fine… Sheesh… Who would have though shipping would be so morally dubious…Fine… I accept… But this changes the standards…”

 

- “How so?”

 

- “To keep things fair… To make sure no one feels like I’m screwing them over, and make sure this shows with whom John wants to spend his time with… You’ll be making the plans. (Serious face). And I’ll make sure they come out flawlessly. Your concern, get John to accept to go with you. I will study the convention’s schedule and give you three suggestions for activities up your alley, and you’ll plan out what you want to do with him. Whatever you choose to say to John is your choice, whatever he responds is beyond me. I will not sabotage John’s fun over you, any of you… Feel free to run your plans by me, for adjustments, but I won't make them for you… I’ll keep a com-link with multiple lines to adjust the plans on the go, as it will be a miracle if any of the plans get fully completed, considering three people want his attention, and there is a high chance that schedules in certain activities will conflict, and I will not be at liberty to tell. And don’t think only of what you want to do, think of what he would want to do… This goes beyond these hangouts, this applies to future relationships, they are not only about you, but it is also about your partner… But please do not force yourself to do things you fully disagree with, for him, as that is not a healthy relationship. Leave your comfort zone, but don’t break your boundaries. Got it?”

 

- “…”

 

- “…”

 

- “…”

 

- “…”

 

- “Nio… When did you become so serious? And so wise?”

 

- “I have been watching a lot of emotionally intense action anime lately… John recommended it, and this one has me hooked…”

 

 

 

   The battle is on. Nio has become an operation specialist once again, coordinating three girls on the same day, sacrificing his birthday, one he forgot was happening, in order to ship. Will he be able to keep these girls in check? Will the exclusives of the convention throw him off guard? Will someone realize how wrong this is? Find out on “Protagonist is a Shipper” part 3.

1