Chapter 2.02 – Purpose
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Raderius 

I buried my village. Every man, woman and child. I destroyed them, but I've learned my lesson. True resurrection is beyond me, it may always be beyond me. Pride and hubris if cultivated will lead me and those I choose to care for to ruin.

My village, Remire is part of the County of Silos within the Duchy of Avantine, a dukedom within the Kingdom of Milos. It borders the forbidden forest, a place of monsters, magic and death. The fact the crow expertly navigated me from any danger and that I was able to tread the exact same path back without incident was impressive. Due to the remoteness of my home we get few visitors. Perhaps one a year, sometimes none. The only years we get more than one are when the counts taxman arrives for his or the dukes due. The taxman isn't due for another two years, so it will be a while before panic spreads throughout the county. I have time to discover my purpose.

The nearest village was about a months journey from Remire. Along the way I practiced my Rert. I feel my training has been almost entirely Jin focused at this point and while an argument is there for specialization, my ability to learn quickly could be used to be effective in both of the primary fundamentals of magic.

Holst was the name of the village I arrived at. I had plenty of money and outfits that indicated a learned man, it wasn't hard to find work and a place to stay. I introduced myself with my real name, it is a relief that travel between villages is sparse enough for noone to recognize it.

I worked as a librarian, I decided that my free time would be split between refining my Rert and searching for a purpose. Maybe I should journey to the royal capital and sign up for the school of sorcery? I dismiss the thought for now, I would be attending the school hoping to find a purpose within it, the school itself isn't a purpose and I shouldn't dismiss other avenues of opportunity because of the first solid idea that has come to mind.

A month passes.

Searching for a purpose has started to become more of a social opportunity. I've begun learning peoples names, there ambitions, interests, likes, dislikes. Its become a bit of a game, to find something within each person I can identify with and perhaps incorporate into finding my own purpose. Jackson the farmer is a family man through and through, he's trying to figure out how he can expand his farm so that all of his sons will have a inheritance and not be destitute. Michael, the merchant hopeful is living a frugal life and saving coin to start his own business and register with the merchants guild. Cassandra, the baker is hoping to bake something that will become a cultural phenomena among the village.

They're all wonderful people. Its interesting how much they're willing to open up to a stranger. My pale skin doesn't seem to phase anyone either, it seems they believe I'm a traveler from another country and I don't intend to disabuse them from that notion.

A large oak tree in the center of town has become my favorite spot to sit and rest, I arrive at the oak and reach to pull a book out when a girl calls out to me.

"Hey, is that book really more interesting than talking to me?" A cute, but overbearing voice calls out. I turn around.

"Good afternoon Sandy. For the record I didn't see you here." I say as politely and formally as I can.

"Drop the fancy act Mr. foreigner, you know when you speak to me you can talk freely." Sandy responds with a glistening smile.

"Well, I suppose thats true." I laugh, enjoying the moment.

Sandy is a petite woman. At the same age as me but at 4'11 you could hardly say she has a intimidating presence. Perhaps that's why her voice is so loud and overbearing? Blonde haired, blue eyed and with a cute face. The daughter of a blacksmith, she isn't able to help her father with his work due to her small frame and lithe frame, but she works odd jobs around the village to help out with her baby brother. Her mom passed away due to a bandit attack she said. Kidnapped and slain, a grim topic she hasn't discussed further. Nor do I intend to push her on.

"So, have you heard? The taxman is coming this week." Sandy said in a unusually downtrodden voice.

"No, but judging from your tone that's bad. What's wrong? I thought the taxman arrives infrequently enough for any village to cover their dues?" I questioned. Truthfully, I never really paid attention to when the taxman arrived in Remire, but nobody I know talked to me about it either so it must've been fine. Then again, when I look at the design of the buildings and the material used to construct them within Holst and compare them to Remire, it does look poorer.

"Please, they use that extended period of time to justify an unfair amount of tax. I've heard most of the villages can barely afford it and the elders spend an insane amount of time worrying about it. My dad said that Duke Avantine is a terrible man. Nothing like his father, who passed away due to that terrible curse. The past two tax collections have nearly ruined us each time he says! I don't know if we're going to survive another. To be honest with you, its why I came here, I'm scared and wanted someone to listen to me" Sandy ended with a whisper, not at all like usual bombastic self.

I had kept my mouth shut as she talked as all of this was new information, I wasn't quite certain how to reassure her, but I can't say nothing.

"Well its the responsibility of the nobility to care for its citizenry, so surely, even if Holst can't make the entire tax quota; nothing will go to terribly wrong." I offered, completely uncertain in my response but displaying unwavering confidence to try and make Sandy feel better.

"Thanks Raderius, you know, your calming presence is what I like so much about you. Even if you look a little strange, your such a caring guy!" Sandy complimented me as she teased me. Though, I do wonder if her like is more than the kind that is between friends...

Thud

Thud

Thud

The village suddenly got noisy. Likely the taxman, Sandy and I exchange a look and follow the people to see what's going to happen.

The village mayor had wagons of food, weapons, lumber and other raw materials alongside money prepared for the taxman. The taxman was a tall and stout individual, he towered over everyone in the village, however what concerned me more was what I saw behind him. Two dozen magic users, all of whom seemed capable and combat ready. Behind the magic users was over fifty militia soldiers. It seems that Count Silos has managed to procure quite the military strength to protect his taxmen.

"You've failed to provide enough." the taxman proclaimed.

"Sir, please understand, our village hasn't fully recovered from that bandit raid, I know we're short on expectations, but maybe we could add this to our next interval. I'm sure the good count, our lord duke and his royal majesty would appreciate if there was peace and tithes were paid." the mayor said diplomatically.

The taxman narrowed his eyes, beady little things and sighed deeply.

"Very well, the amount your short by will be expected in the next period. If you fail again then I fear that mercy will not be on the table." The taxmans voice was grim, intimidating all within the crowd other than myself. The soldiers took possession of the wagons of goods and marched off.

The village seemed to let out a collective sigh of relief, but there's an underlying tension, no more like terror beneath it.

"Why is everyone so scared?" I asked Sandy.

"I don't know, but i'm going to find out." Sandy ran off to talk to her father.

Hours later Sandy came back to me at the Oak Tree, crying.

"Raderius, if we fail next time, then men in the village will be conscripted, women either relocated to a new, foreign village. Holst will cease to exist and everything our ancestors will have struggled to maintain will be gone." Sandy couldn't control herself.

"What, is this the same everywhere?" I asked her.

"Within the duchy of Avantine all the Counts operate in this way, consolidating villages that don't have much individual output, ruining our way of life. It seems the new Duke encouraged them to behave this way." she replied.

I wonder if Remire was facing similar threats before I cruelly made such a threat pleasant in comparison to the fate that befell it.

I'm ashamed to admit it, but a corrupt nobility made my heart race with excitement. Here's something I could fix. If I were the Duke of Avantine I could lower taxes to reasonable limits. Hell, I probably wouldn't even need to lower taxes and could make the entire duchy prosperous if I leveraged my undead.

While my face showed no emotion other than concern, internally I was smiling. I've found a new goal. No, not a goal.

A purpose.

0