Chapter 4.01 – A Decisive beginning
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Count Silos

I think about the news I received from that magic knight earlier in the week, the fate that may have befallen Leopold, Lord Aslo and the rest of the magic knights and mages. That if more than a few days have passed I should presume them to be slain and reanimated. The destruction of Remire. Those days have long since passed. I need to make a decision, do I reach out to the other Counts and my liege Duke to help me suppress the necromancer, or do I take care of the problem on my own?

On the one hand the problem will be easier to solve if the other Counts and Duke assist me. However, my political status will be put into jeopardy. It wouldn't be a stretch for the other counts to hold onto part of my territory in compensation while saying that they're doing so to 'safeguard the villagers'. Moral posturing that will turn into occupation. I won't even have the means to retaliate as military conflict between nobles of milos without a just cause would result in being branded a 'Hegaur' or, false noble. The moral posturing would unfortunately, in the eyes of the law be sufficient reason for occupation and any attempt from me to end it would result in me receiving that branding. The Duke would choose someone else to take my place, my family name and become the new Count Silos. Silos is a line that has managed to stay pure since its inception, I couldn't fail my ancestors in that way. However, to lose our ancestral territory would also be a failure to my ancestors.

On the other hand, facing the necromancer alone is to place my life and county in peril. A noble needs at least a modicum of strength, I can endure a one on one fight with Leopold well enough so I have no doubt in my personal combat ability. Having Lavislava by my side would also be reassuring, the title of 5th grade mage is one not given lightly and she's been afforded every luxury. An ace up my sleeve should I ever find a just cause to allow conflict with the other counts. She's even promised me that when she's strong enough to become a grade 6 mage that she'll return to my employment afterwards. I can tell the undertone and strings attached to that offer, she wants political power. Commoner to Countess would be an unfeasible task for most woman within my county, but I wouldn't lose face if I took a grade 6 mage as my wife. If anything she would strengthen the bloodline by training our children.

Enough on that train of thought, I refocus myself back onto the matter at hand. I'm no slouch in combat, I have Lavislava and no less than 60 grades 1 to 2 mages and three grade 4 mages alongside 50 grades 1 to 2 magic knights and 2 grade 4 magic knights in my employ. I could also easily raise a 1000 strong militia from villagers forced to endure military training. I don't want to think of conscripting untrained soldiers. Against a necromancer it would be a pointless task to try and drown him in numbers. The necromancer possesses there own mages and magic knights at this point, plus beasts from the forbidden forest and whatever villagers he raises. We could likely win a defensive battle, but im uncertain on how many the necromancer would be depraved enough to slay along his way to Cistine. Exterminating him and not giving enough time for him to gain strength would be the goal.

Do I risk myself and my county, preserve the honor of my ancestors and face the necromancer head on? Or do I shame myself, my people, lose power and guarantee victory?

My heart races and my brain wracks itself on what to do decide when Lavislava walks into my chamber.

Beautiful. Fiery red hair and an ample, bodacious figure covered by a rainbow of garments that only extenuated it. If it weren't for my status to consider I'd likely have wed her already.

"My Lord" she curtsies.

"Lavislava." I reply, wiping the sweat I hadn't realized was growing on my brow.

"I know the decision you have to make vexes you. However, I want you to believe in yourself, your magic knights, your mages and me." she said in that commanding and rambunctious voice she puts on whenever she wants to convince someone of something. Still, I can see through her. She wouldn't appreciate if she earned nobility status just for her political status to be stunted. She could try and move on to another Count, but not many are as practical as I and would marry a commoner, no matter the benefit. Still, that ambitiousness of hers is why I've grown fond of her in the first place.

While my mind is locked in indecision my heart wants to ride off and face the necromancer. The honor of my ancestors, my personal honor and the honor of the woman I'm likely to marry are all at stake.

I smile at her. "Very well, Lavislava. We'll ride off. Are the preparations complete?" As soon as the magic knight reported what had happened I ordered the militia, mages and magic knights to be assembled and prepared to depart.

"Just as you commanded, they are ready!" Now that she knew she was getting what she wanted, Lavislava couldn't help bur reveal that feral, beautiful grin of hers.

"Then lets go." I grab my family sword, call a servant to help me don my armor and soon enough find myself departing my beloved Cistine to slay this evil.

Raderius

War was coming and I needed to have an army. I had a mere 30 beasts left from the forbidden forest, 15 militia and a dozen mages alongside two dozen magic knights. I didn't want to desecrate the graves of Remire, but the future of the living will depend on the sacrifices of the dead. I used animate dead, reanimating those I've slain and those who have been long dead and after a week had an army of four thousand skeletons and zombies ready.

I marched on to the next village, Holst. Fear was in everyone's eyes. Their faces were in horror of the undead host before them. They abandoned their homes and ran. Good. I didn't want to face Sandy right now. This will make it easier to focus on raising their dead. Its fine if everyone is afraid right now, I don't need to be loved at first, once I have shown the kind of ruler I am and the lives of the people have improved, I'm sure that love will follow.

Ten thousand undead. About 1% of the undead I raised seemed to be unique. Banshees, wraiths, skeletal champions. Each is worth more than a hundred of the common undead I make. A future goal of mine should be refining animate dead so that I can obtain more powerful minions.

As the thought crosses my mind and I thought to prepare myself to move on to the next village. One of the undead wolves I had been using as a scout returned. It was only to return if an enemy was arriving. we would likely run into each other within a day.

Holst, unlike Remire was surrounded by open plains. There would be no room for tricks or subterfuge. I would have to personally fight while commanding my undead to avoid being surrounded and overwhelmed. An ultimate test of my tactical thinking and capability for battle.

My heart raced in excitement! I will crush the living, raise them to be my undead thralls and rule this la-

Wait. Crush the living? Reveling in the creation of thralls? I must be tired. The effect of surrounding myself in my own death affinity for so long. I need to affirm my ego. My purpose that I chose. To bring unprecedented prosperity to the people of Silos. Not some purpose that my affinity is infecting me with.

My heart calmed down. This is a grim task, a solemn duty that I must perform in the name of peace and prosperity. I will have victory and though my foes may not benefit from it, there families will experience a benevolent rule that will be free from the corruption of nobles.

0