Chapter 6.02 – The Royal Family of Milos
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

King Christian Lemillious

I'm old. At seventy five years old I'm one of the few who can remember when my grandfather united Milos into a single kingdom. Some required force, some duchies were handled diplomatically. Regardless, my grandfather was a gracious victor, those he defeated, he honored rather than disgraced. Allowing them to keep their titles and naming the newly formed duchies after them, same as those who bent the knee through diplomacy. The first Dukes of Milos followed my grandfathers example and named their counties after their own vassals names.

I've done what I can to live up to my grandfather and my father after him, yet now my bones ache. They desire for me to step down and pass on the crown. Yet, I can't. My sons, grandsons and granddaughters all covet the throne. I'm sure my daughters would as well, had I not already married them off to make alliances. Despite how many aim for my position and try to ingratiate themselves with either myself, my vassals or my people not one of the male heirs is worthy. My granddaughter, Annette, I believe she would make a good queen and would be the one I throw my support behind, yet she refuses to marry and therefore can't inherit.

My eldest son Clovis, his only significant supporter was the late Duke Avantine. A world in which Clovis took my throne is one where the Lemillious line become mere puppets of their vassals. He cannot inherit. My second eldest son Medicius, is a warmonger. He has a fair number of loyal Dukes supporting him, but his ascension would destroy the sacrifices of his sisters and my hard machinations to make sure that Milos enjoys at least three generations of peace after I'm gone. Such foolishness, he also cannot inherit. My youngest son Arnold is smart and strong, but unambitious. He's to obsessed with his duties as headmaster of the academy of sorcery. He hasn't even produced an heir at thirty five years old. He would make a for a mediocre king. One that isn't manipulated, isn't warmongering, but also isn't pushing Milos towards progress in anything unrelated to the academy. Stagnation would allow the opportunity for other kingdoms to rise above Milos and when old ties are forgotten or are used unjustly, the people will suffer. Arnold has hardly any supporters and I cannot be counted among them.

My grandsons, Christoph, Chris, Christos. The idiot trio. Each one was named after me to honor me, but now I feel particularly embarrassed when I look upon them. They all possess low cunning and have the odd Duke or Count in their favor, but their to much like Clovis. Short-sighted and narrow minded they would result in puppet rulers.

My granddaughters, Clementine, Cornelia, Christa. They're cunning and have their own allies. They've married men of power within Milos who they have wrapped around their fingers. Intelligent, though they may be the ascension of one of them to Queen would be the beginning of endless intrigue. They'd be to wrapped up in finding and exploiting the weaknesses of their siblings to focus on actual ruling.

Honestly, if it weren't for Annette, i'd wonder if I had done something to curse my entire bloodline. The girls smart like her sisters, physically strong like Medicius, magically gifted like Arnold and with enough support among the Dukes within the Kingdom to prevent civil war on her ascension.

Yet, she won't marry. No matter how wonderful she is, the Kingdom won't accept a Queen that has no King. Barons and Counts may be able to get away with it, but Dukes and Rulers must have a male, even if he's just a face to the woman who rules behind him. In my many machinations to ensure Milos's greatness for future generations to come, I never imagined that reforming inheritance laws should be a priority. I forgive you, younger me. However, it is to late to do anything about it. Trying to reform inheritance so close to my death would be a clear indicator of my support for Annette, but would be seen as a form of tyranny and rebelled against by all my other children. Annette would inherit half a Kingdom and a civil war. If she is to rule she must do so through her own machinations. I sigh. Why would she hold off like this? She must know the disadvantage it puts her at?

As I worry for the future of Milos and how utterly powerless I am to do anything about it, I hear a knock on my bedroom door.

Clovis Lemillious

Avantine is dead! Dead! This can't be right! Without him, my younger brothers or heavens forbid one of my children is all but guaranteed to inherit. I may as well be out of the running! No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. This will not do. This will not do. This will not do!

My daughters and sons wont support me, the ingrates! I need to figure something out! I need to figure something out!

I regain my composure. I know, I'll meet the new Duke of Avantine, I heard he hasn't taken a last name yet, disgusting commoner. I sigh at my situation. I'll offer him power and prestige and all he needs to do is support me, I'll use him the way I was using Avantine and give myself a fighting chance in this race!

Mecidius Lemillious

The other Kingdoms are weak. My younger brother is truly a genius, if he were serious about competing for the throne I'd be worried. Instead, his hard work will fuel the conquest of the rest of the continent. Father, wasting your time at playing nice. We should strike while we hold an advantage! I don't want to die never seeing the greatness that Milos can achieve. I'm getting old, at forty five years old, if it weren't for my earth affinity I'm uncertain if I'd still be able to fight in melee as a true warrior. It won't be long though, before my body can't keep up with my magic. I need to win this game before its over. Four of the sixteen dukes support me. One supports my son Christos, but he's inherited Clovis's idiocy. Spent two much time with his cousins. In that regard, I failed as a father and curse myself bitterly for it. Each of my brothers daughters married a Duke and have their husbands support. Its funny, none of his children support him. Spectacular failure you are Clovis. Eight of the Dukes remain neutral, seven I know would support my daughter if she married and the last is a complete unknown. He seems more prudent than the last Duke Avantine according to my messengers. I doubt he'll throw his hat in with anyone.

I'm both proud and frustrated with her. If she became Queen she would follow the old mans wishes, I'm sure of it. She's as strong as I was at her age and she's been more of a schemer than Clovis's daughters could ever hope to be.

However.

If she ascends, I'll never be more than a strong ornament. Eventually, I won't even be strong. History will forget me, perhaps it'll be kind enough to leave a footnote saying I was the queens father.

I'm sorry Annette, but I can't let you or your brother, or your cousins win. I must stand at the precipice of power and carve my name into history with my own to hands!

Arnold Lemillious

I know my old man is struggling with the issue of who will be the next King. Quite frankly, I don't care. My work is more important to the future of Milos than any mere King can be. I'm the one who creates Grade 9 Mages and Grade 9 Magic knights. Who pushes the young and gifted of Milos beyond their limits to achieve new heights of power. I do all of this while I refine my own custom ritual. It'll likely take another ten years, but once its complete Milos will be an unstoppable force of commerce.

Teleportation.

When my affinity was discovered to be spatial there was much rejoicing. My teleportation magic gives me unparalleled movement and freedom in a battlefield. Of course, it wasn't until recently I had refined it enough to be offensive. My former limitation to only be able to attack with arcane spells made every fight a difficult one to win, but still. With my recent refinements I've become worthy of the title I took so long ago and no longer how long it takes I will create it.

Teleportation circles that link the kingdom together. Instantaneous travel that will give us unprecedented economic might and forcibly unify the duchies, lest they lose access to that economic power. I will end any notion of civil war in Milos with one foul blow!

Sorry father, you can stress yourself to death about who'll rule Milos. It doesn't matter, I'm going to be the one who changes the Kingdom.

Clementine Eisner

My husband is better than the ones my sisters married. He's far more handsome and far stronger. Yet, he isn't going to be enough for me to win. At this rate uncle Mecidius will end up being the King. Still, at least I don't have to worry about Annette as a rival, she squandered all of her opportunity because she won't marry. The moron! With Avantine dead and my stupid dad effectively neutered I can get ahead of all my siblings. I just need to convince the new Duke of Avantine to join me and Duke Eisner!

Cornelia Winchest

My husband is superior to the ones my sisters married. He's far more handsome and far smarter. Yet, he isn't going to be enough for me to win. At this rate uncle Mecidius will end up being the King. Still, at least I don't have to worry about Annette as a rival, she squandered all of her opportunity because she won't marry. The idiot! With Avantine dead and my weak excuse for a dad effectively neutered I can get ahead of all my siblings. I just need to convince the new Duke of Avantine to join me and Duke Winchest!

Christa Veilos

My husband is way worthier of marriage to a princess than the men my sisters married. He's far more handsome and far more cunning. Yet, he isn't going to be enough for me to win. At this rate uncle Mecidius will end up being the King. Still, at least I don't have to worry about Annette as a rival, she squandered all of her opportunity because she won't marry. The imbecile! With Avantine dead and my pathetic excuse for a dad effectively neutered I can get ahead of all my siblings. I just need to convince the new Duke of Avantine to join me and Duke Veilos!

Christoph Lemillious

"This sucks" I say to my brother, Chris.

"Whatcha mean?" he replies stupidly.

"Whatcha mean, whatcha mean! The damn succession!" I reply annoyed with him.

"Well hey, we each managed to get a few Counts to go against their Dukes and support us. That ain't bad ain't it?" Chris responds.

"Ah, those fucks don't respect us. They just want to use us. Come on now, we're not actually as dumb as the way we talk." I say to him.

"Yea, sorry brother, its to easy to get wrapped up in the character you know?" brother responds with a more sophisticated tone then previously.

Truthfully, Chris and I just want to have fun. We've intentionally put on airs to everyone that we're just a couple of morons. Yet, if we weren't to at least make a show of competing against the rest of the family then our dad would likely disown us. There's only so much wealth we can get from grandfather. It wouldn't surprise us if we got treated like our Aunts, married off into a foreign nation for diplomacy. Displaying that we're a couple of idiots competing for the throne? Now, that lets us avoid that fate for as long as possible. Lets us keep playing. Having a good time, without worrying about things like 'adult responsibilities'. Still, we're both nearly 30. Maybe it is time to grow up.

"Hey Chris, do you feel embarrassed?" I ask.

"Every day Christoph." he replied.

"That's not what I mean, but you know about running from our responsibilities?" I emphasized the word responsibilities, ending up accidentally slurring it.

"It is starting to catch up to me, its pretty hard to admit, but while I used to like hiding behind being compared to Dad, now I just feel humiliated when it happens." Chris admitted with a look of defeat.

"Look, lets throw our supporters at Christos. He's actually trying to compete instead of just goofing off, like us. We'll talk to grandfather, see what he can do for us." I offer out my hand to Chris.

"Yea, lets do it." Chris replies as he grasps my hand.

With that we were off.

Christos Lemillious

I woke up drenched in sweat and gasping. Another night, another nightmare. My father and grandfather looking down on me. My sister being named Queen and staring at me with eyes of contempt.

Annette, everyone thinks you're so sweet and wonderful. That the only thing holding you back from inheriting the Kingdom is marriage. I laugh and cry as I slam the bed.

I've seen your real face. The one you try not show anyone else. Accidents happen when training, a stray spell from my water magic once ruptured the stomach of a guard who wasn't paying attention. He laid there, bleeding out and nearly died. It didn't excuse the action, I was reprimanded and the guards family more than sufficiently compensated, but still. When I chanced to look away from the sight of the guard struggling so desperately to live, I can remember it. That smile and expression you had as you watched him die.

The things you would do to your dolls, the way you would expertly cover them up and humiliate me to father when I tried speaking to him.

That flicker of contempt you show when you witness suffering.

I know the truth, that you're really a monster in disguise, dear sister. I've known since we were 5, and even now after we've both become more than old enough to be considered adults, 21 years of age; still I know your true nature. Rotten, and insidious.

I don't want to be King. My cousins gave me just the other night a boost placing me above their sisters. I'm the number two contender after my father, but truthfully I'm only competing for one reason.

I don't want to see you be named Queen. I'm achieving as much as I can, building relations with nobles of all titles so that when the time comes I can unite behind my father and stop you. Everyone's writing you off and your refusal to marry.

I know the truth.

Dark and depraved woman, you're just waiting to find a man as evil and rotten as you. Once you find him, you'll latch onto him and then the entire kingdom will become your playground of madness.

"Sir may I come in." a voice accompanied by knocking on my bedroom door. The guest chamber of Duke Ghorst, my most powerful supporter.

"You may enter." I say, having made myself decent enough for viewing.

A man in plate armor, my champion and greatest knight Valentino. Huge, at nearly 7 feet tall and strong. Ranked as a grade 6 magic Knight, but only because he's never retaken the academy exam, his physical might is likely on par with a Grade 9 by now. Most importantly though, he's a dear friend and confidant.

"Sir, the King has summoned all of his children as well as Dukes. Grave news I hear."

Grandfather making a move? Surprising, to say the least. I believed his hands to be tied in this succession battle. What is forcing him to make a play?

I rode for the capital immediately.

Apparently, I was the last to arrive and my arrival signaled a gathering of the summoned Dukes, Princes and Princesses that very night.

After bathing and relaxing in my old bedroom the time arrived for me to get dressed and enter my fathers council room.

The first thing I noticed, was that the peasant girl near my grandfather was out of place. A petite woman. Only 5 feet tall. That blonde hair, blue eyed and cute face of hers was beautiful. I think I fell in love at first sight, she seemed to be about the same age as me. I mentally note that I need to speak to her, perhaps Grandfather will allow me to take her as a concubine. That is of course, if she was interested, I had no intention of forcing my desires on an unwilling woman.

The second thing I noticed was that the number of Dukes present did not match the number of duchies within the Kingdom. One was clearly absent, the new Duke of Avantine, who I haven't met, yet my grandfather initiated the council without him? I narrowed my eyes and refocused my mind off of lustful thoughts.

Lastly, both of my uncles are missing, while this wasn't strange when it came to Uncle Arnold, to see Uncle Clovis missing was unnerving.

"I summon you all with dreadful news. Far more important than the succession to my throne. News that will impact the future of Milos." my grandfather began addressing the dragon in the room. Everyone except my supposedly sweet sister wore expressions of shock. I caught that her gaze contained interest even as she feigned shock on her face. Shrewd and looking for an advantage, even now when grandfather is acting so grave? Heartless. It frustrates me that nobody else can read her like I can.

"The new Duke of Avantine, is a monstrous necromancer of incredible power. Furthermore, he has slain my son, Clovis" the King stated, having already delivered the initial shock that this meeting had nothing to do with the succession, this new revelation sparked debate among everyone present and wails of grief from Clementine, Cornelia and Christa.

"Silence!" The King commanded and we obeyed.

"This womans name is Sally, please tell us your tale."

The peasant informed us of the necromancers origins, how he trained like a madman, how she spied on him with an invisibility spell. How, she loved him and failed to confront him. She regaled us of what sounded like a fanciful tale of one man defeating an entire magic knight squadron, how it turned into one man defeating a Count and then lastly into the intrigue that allowed him to ascend to Duke. How this brave woman risked her life to listen in on his discussions. While all were absorbed in her tale, I remembered to keep a read on my sister.

I was overwhelmed with terror, her face showed sympathy and grief, but her eyes, they were enchanted like she was hearing about a prince in a fairy tail. I curse everyone's inability to understand her and my terror increased as I understood the potential consequences of her new passion.

The peasant continued on how she wanted to give the necromancer a chance, believing in him, that he wanted to do the right thing. At least that's how it was until he raised the entire duchy's dead in a grand display of power. The terror inflicted upon her father, the desperation she felt from her home village of Holst. The journey she made to come here and warn of the necromantic Duke. Risking execution from the royal guard. If I wasn't so focused on the future of Milos the tragic expression she wore would make me fall for her a second time.

The King announced a call to arms. Even my cousins, Christoph and Chris were to participate in the battle. Only enough troops to keep our borders secure would be left behind. Otherwise, everyone was expected to raise their banners and crush the new evil that infested our Kingdom.

Good. Even, my sister, as devilishly cunning and demonically brilliant as she is, won't have time to sink into depravity with Raderius. A united front to destroy the necromancer will deny her all opportunity.

I'm frustrated, I don't even have time to grieve, but still I have a duty to oppose all threats to the Kingdom. If I'm to protect Milos, I must steel myself for the task ahead. Even if regrettably, at this rate depending on how I perform I may find myself with a crown I want no part of.

Still, the royal family of Milos has made its decision. Raderius, foul necromancer, your days are numbered!

0